Materialism and how it will effect the game and film industries

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Wolverine

I personally know people who buy many video games and movies for materialistic reasons only. They enjoy opening the packaging and adding another game or movie on their media rack. They have there collection on display in their house as if it proves their self worth. This immature behavior helps fuel the video game and DVD/BD industries but as digital distribution becomes the most accepted way of acquiring media I would not be surprised to see the amount of sold copies of movies and video games go down. Many people would rather just rent the films instead of buying them if their not going to get a case and disc out of it.
Also I have friends who have boughten video games while we were in the mall just to get something thinking eventually they would play them and never opened them. People will only download media when their in the mood to experience it. Digital downloading will hurt these industries in the long run. Materialism helps fuel our economy.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Wolverine

I personally know people who buy many video games and movies for materialistic reasons only. They enjoy opening the packaging and adding another game or movie on their media rack. They have there collection on display in their house as if it proves their self worth. This immature behavior helps fuel the video game and DVD/BD industries but as digital distribution becomes the most accepted way of acquiring media I would not be surprised to see the amount of sold copies of movies and video games go down. Many people would rather just rent the films instead of buying them if their not going to get a case and disc out of it.
Also I have friends who have boughten video games while we were in the mall just to get something thinking eventually they would play them and never opened them. People will only download media when their in the mood to experience it. Digital downloading will hurt these industries in the long run. Materialism helps fuel our economy.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

Er, yeah.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolverine
HandsomeDead said:
"Er, yeah."
Why do you even bother commenting on my blog post if your not going to give me any sort of feedback or create any sort of discussion. HandsomeDead, we would all appreciate it if you stopped spamming.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'm not spamming, i'm basically summing up that there's nothing more to say on the matter: You're completely correct. It's like saying you need water to live or something. Digital downloads will probably hurt the video game economy because not only would it put people out of jobs who work in DVD factories and produce box art and things but also, it can lead to companies doing whatever they please with your downloads. DVDs and Blu-Rays are tangiable products and that is basically the last line of defence before complete exploitation.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By Suicrat

What you're describing is not a manifestation of materialist philosophy on home shelves, but conspicuous consumption.

You might argue that people conspicuously consume for materialistic purposes, but what are they actually after? Social status, that is not manifest materially, but psychologically.

And who's to say impulse purchases will not increase once all a person needs to do to buy something is type in a few numbers and click a few buttons? I bought Civ4 waiting for Empire Total War on Steam a few months ago. Did I ever play it? Not really.

I think once the unemployment rate goes down and productivity increases, people will have more capacity to spend on entertainment, and these markets will recover over time.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Materialism usually references objects vs. love, etc.

But anyway, I'll say this:  I like having a disk.  I like having game collections.  I like game manuals and cases. I like going to the store and buying that game. 
I'd much prefer disk format than digital

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RetroIce4

I guess so...

mr_korean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mr_korean

I'd much rather have a hard copy of whatever form of media I have. There's just something reassuring knowing you've got what you bought. That it's not just floating around in the internet or whatever.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus

I would never pay full retail price for a game if there was no resale value. (Some PC games are exceptions).

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Alex_Murphy
Wolverine said:
"They have there collection on display in their house as if it proves their self worth."
Well where am I supposed to keep my games and movies if not on a shelf? Can I still keep books on my bookshelf?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By penguindust

I don't quite understand how you can condemn materialism as immature in one sentence and then justify it by saying it fuels our economy.  Either way, materialism is a form of self expression.  No one needs designer jeans or a tee-shirt with a particular band on the front, however when people wear such items, it says "this is me" or at least "the me I'd like to present myself as." Whether you drive a specific brand of car or buy a certain type of video game, everyone is trying to present a certain social impression to others.  Humanity is a social species and language has more forms of communicating a persons thoughts than verbal or gestural. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By Geno

I'm not sure if adding games to your digital rack really differs from adding games to a physical rack. On the contrary, ever since I discovered Steam and its amazing deals my games collection has tripled.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Otacon

I can see myself buying more games if a digital distribution method was in place. Buying on impulse is so much easier. I think people are aware that consumers like a tangible product hence why there are such things as limited edition boxes etc. That kind of thing won't leave in a hurry.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aurelito

But wise modernism hurts more.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By Suicrat
PenguinDust said:
"I don't quite understand how you can condemn materialism as immature in one sentence and then justify it by saying it fuels our economy.  Either way, materialism is a form of self expression.  No one needs designer jeans or a tee-shirt with a particular band on the front, however when people wear such items, it says "this is me" or at least "the me I'd like to present myself as." Whether you drive a specific brand of car or buy a certain type of video game, everyone is trying to present a certain social impression to others.  Humanity is a social species and language has more forms of communicating a persons thoughts than verbal or gestural.  "
I know I'm coming off as a total douchebag here, but sometimes that's necessary in order to instill in people the correct meaning of words. Materialism is a philosophic tenet, it is NOT conspicuous consumption, which is what Wolverine and PenguinDust are describing. As a self-described Materialist, I feel the need to help people understand what Materialism is.

Materialism isn't the desire for more things in order to impress your friends, neighbours, and so on; Materialism is the notion that the material world is the only real world. Materialism is the antithesis of a Platonic view of the world, not a Marxist view of the world (however, it is true that Marx derived many of his ideas from Plato. Which is part of why Marx sucks so bad, but that's another topic for another time.)
ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By ishotmrburns
Wolverine said:
"boughten"
Ugh.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoOneFive

i think its straight bullshit when people say, "i like having a disc and a game collection i can hold in my hands etc.". 

Lots of people have been saying, and most of you are a bunch of followers. It doesn't make you special or more of a true gamer. Its bullshit. I have a bunch of games I've downloaded on my consoles, and I like them on there like that very much and it hasn't affected me at all and so it is really hard for me to imagine how important a physical medium is for you people. 
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
TwoOneFive said:
"i think its straight bullshit when people say, "i like having a disc and a game collection i can hold in my hands etc.". 
Lots of people have been saying, and most of you are a bunch of followers. It doesn't make you special or more of a true gamer. Its bullshit. I have a bunch of games I've downloaded on my consoles, and I like them on there like that very much and it hasn't affected me at all and so it is really hard for me to imagine how important a physical medium is for you people. 
"
Because people like to have collections as well?
How hard is it to understand that many gamers are game collectors as well? 

It's the crowd that trades in their games vs. those that don't.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive
SmugDarkLoser said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"i think its straight bullshit when people say, "i like having a disc and a game collection i can hold in my hands etc.". 
"
Because people like to have collections as well?How hard is it to understand that many gamers are game collectors as well?  It's the crowd that trades in their games vs. those that don't. "
Save the game onto an sd card then. lol