Men, Are you going to get married? What do you think about marriage today?

• 141 results
DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Poll Men, Are you going to get married? What do you think about marriage today? (596 votes)

(9-10) I'm definitely getting married. Marriage is a great thing. 14%
(7-8) I'll probably get married someday. The good definitely outweighs the bad. 19%
(5-6) I'm not sure if I'll get married. If i find someone and the timing is right, it could happen, but it also might not happen. 32%
(3-4) It's pretty unlikely that I'm going to be married. The disadvantages outweigh the benefits. 8%
(1-2) I'm not going to get married. It just doesn't seem to make sense these days. 8%
(0) I would never getting married. Marriage is a very bad deal for men. 6%
I am married and it's going well. 10%
I am married and we have some good time along with some bad times. 1%
I am married and it was a big mistake. 1%
I'm divorced and happy to be back on the market. 0%
I'm divorced and not happy to be looking again. 0%
I would get married, but I'm gay and same sex marriage isn't legal where I live 2%
 • 
Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Yeah sign away half my shit yet great deal

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I barely know what I'm doing tomorrow for God sake.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Eh. Not too crazy about the idea personally. I guess I'd have to be 110% sure given the divorce rates in this fucking country. Commitment is scary.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@wrecks said:

Been living with my lady for 19 years. Might get married someday, just waiting to see if it works out. ;)

You mean months right? Cause wouldn't you know after 19 years? I think if you are still living together after 19 years it pretty much worked out already. ;)

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Unless it's part of your religious beliefs I just don't see the point to it. If you really love the person why can't you just live together? Why do you have to spend thousands of dollars to have a marriage and spend years paying off that debt? And if it doesn't work out and you are the male the relationship guess what? You get fucked over because the laws are designed to give everything to the women and leave the men destitute.

I have known two different people who have gotten divorced because the wife had an affair and was fucking around on the guy for years before he found out and she still got 3/4 of his money, the house, and he never gets to see his kids. Fuck that system and fuck anyone that defends it.

Agreed, it should be 100% until there is gender parity in land ownership and net assets. Interesting point.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Absolutely. In my mind there's no need to be cynical as long as you're also not naive about the venture. It's not easy because you're talking about a lifelong commitment with another person, which is inherently fraught with certain weirdness and difficulties. But fuck man, life without that would be empty after a certain while. I'm in my early 20's so I can still enjoy my independent lifestyle but over the years without a wife and eventually children I won't feel like I can close the loop on who I want to be.

I'm glad people seem to be confident enough in themselves that they're not feeling obligated. Part of the reason the divorce rate is so high is that marriage changed fundamentally after divorce was actually viable socially post-WWII but marriage was still a universal and obligatory thing, especially for women in the 1970s and 1980s. So at around the 1990s and early 2000s divorce soared and it stayed that way dipping I think a bit.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By grilledcheez

UHHHHHHHHHHHHH maybe, I have no idea. It would be naive to say I'm going to get married and then never meet somebody worth marrying.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta: Yes, it's meant to be sexist. It's for men only.

Lexus2jz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Lexus2jz

Who would wan't to be with the same person forever? No thanks, I like doing what I want, when I want, and with who I want. Also my money is my money, i've seen too many of my friends get hooked to a chick and seeing how fast his money disappears.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By FancySoapsMan

If I meet the right person, then yes.

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lexus2jz said:

Who would wan't to be with the same person forever? No thanks, I like doing what I want, when I want, and with who I want. Also my money is my money, i've seen too many of my friends get hooked to a chick and seeing how fast his money disappears.

Yeah, fuck those dames! Man, you seen the gams on that Marylin Monroe - phew-ee, I'd love to take her out on the town and do the charleston, if you know what I mean! Lets go for a root beer float.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Aetheldod

I would like to get married someday but right now I gotta figure out my own shit first.

pretty much this

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's the "Divorced and miserable" option?

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really would if things came together. As is though, I'm gonna die alone. Unless I leave NY, where most women are business minded and the one's that aren't are still outta my league. Ugh, don't wanna think about it, but after 30 I have started questioning my mortality and not having my own family is just a bit depressing.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65  Edited By Seppli

I don't know. For the most parts, I like my women with pricetags. I like the convenience. Shame the oldest business in the world is illegal in many parts of the world. Good thing it isn't where I live. If you know your way around a woman in bed, having a good time is pretty much the rule, rather than the exception. Every woman is unique, and a joy to explore - even the most hard-boiled ones. A good whore is a saint really - just think of how cheap their love comes. Even Jesus could not help but fall for a whore. Prudes gave whores a bad rep, most of 'em are not bad at all.

In an ideal capitalist world, we'd all be raised to be whores - with a sensible range of dynamic pricing, depending on how much we want or don't want to fuck whoever's asking - but never denying the deed outright. Let's say a range between a buck and a thousand bucks per hour. I guess that would make for awesome theme parties during your college years - when people are the most socially and sexually agile. *Everybody's got a Price* parties! Experiment! Excite! Enjoy!

There's of course a lot of situations a lone individual will have a hard time weathering on his or her own, so it of course does make sense to find a sensible partner. Marriage being the most common life partnership contract - I guess it's not an entirely bad thing, if done right.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Spitznock

Geez those are a lot of options.

Marriage seems nice to me in concept, but I've never met someone who I even considered the idea of marrying. I've seen several failed marriages play out right in front of me (one of which was my own parents') and there's a whole lot of anguish involved with two people getting a divorce, and not only just between the two of them.
So getting married isn't the sort of thing I'm interested in doing unless I'm absolutely 125% certain that I've met the person I want to be with until death.

Marriage seems like something that a lot of people rush into (at least where I was raised). Rushing into something as big as that is pretty foolish.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno are you offering?

But no honestly, It's not something I look forward or aspire to do. But if I meet a girl I want to spend my life with, and marriage is important to her, then I don't really have any reason not to.I'll leave my marriage up to fate and just do what I want like always. :D

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geez those are a lot of options.

Marriage seems nice to me in concept, but I've never met someone who I even considered the idea of marrying. I've seen several failed marriages play out right in front of me (one of which was my own parents'), so getting married isn't the sort of thing I'm interested in doing unless I'm absolutely 125% certain that I've met the person I want to be with until death.

Marriage seems like something that a lot of people rush into (at least where I was raised). Rushing into something as big as that is pretty foolish.

I agree.

I've seen a whole bunch of people rushing into marriages, thinking everything will be all smiles and sunshine. Just to have something that ruins the relationship and end up regretful...

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd really like to get married someday, sure.

But fuck me if im proposing to someone if we havent already been living together for awhile. Also, I'm not going to have one of those dumb hyphenated names because those are the worst.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mellotronrules

i'll only get married if the hypothetical partner really wants it. i don't want kids, and i don't need the government/community's endorsement to legitimize my personal affections for someone. but i can fully understand why someone would, so again- if there's a person i'd like to be with the rest of my life, and it means a great deal to them- i'll do it. but it'll be for them, not me. and it'll be small, god damn it.

fheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant see why not. I mean marriage isn't that big a deal to me. If my partner wanted to get married, I'd go ahead with it... I don't know, I guess I'm old fashioned but I like the idea of making that commitment, even if it just a symbolic gesture.

WaylonJennings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm 19, not even close to thinking about marriage.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Step 1 of marriage: finding the right person... yeah never getting married.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

Only if I can find someone I really like who also has no interest in sex. It's harder than you'd think. I reckon it'll get easier in the 30s-40s though.

I thought I heard somewhere that women get really horny around that age.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#76  Edited By csl316

Not something I'm prioritizing. I'm not against it, but rushing into something like this makes no sense to me. I'm 27, but if I don't get married til 50 (or never) I'll be fine with it. Guess lots of it has to do with people at work making marriage sound like a damn curse. Which it shouldn't have to be if you take your time.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

@wrecks said:

Been living with my lady for 19 years. Might get married someday, just waiting to see if it works out. ;)

You mean months right? Cause wouldn't you know after 19 years? I think if you are still living together after 19 years it pretty much worked out already. ;)

Years. Yeah I think it is probably going to work out alright.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not totally closed to the idea, but I'd really prefer not to get married.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Slay3r1583

Pretending for a moment that I'm not actually going to be forever alone, no I would not get married. The potential negatives seem to far outweigh the positives.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

@falserelic said:

@cale said:

Only if I can find someone I really like who also has no interest in sex. It's harder than you'd think.

That's just kinda weird..

No shit!

Still if a person actually does do that. It kinda defeats the purpose of being in a relationship, might aswell just be friends.

Are you thirteen years old?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@falserelic said:

@cale said:

@falserelic said:

@cale said:

Only if I can find someone I really like who also has no interest in sex. It's harder than you'd think.

That's just kinda weird..

No shit!

Still if a person actually does do that. It kinda defeats the purpose of being in a relationship, might aswell just be friends.

Are you thirteen years old?

I'm 20

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Never. Especially not the religious kind.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I guess I'm in the probably section?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@martyarf said:

@lexus2jz said:

Yeah, fuck those dames! Man, you seen the gams on that Marylin Monroe - phew-ee, I'd love to take her out on the town and do the charleston, if you know what I mean! Lets go for a root beer float.

Are you attempting to imply that someone who has no interest in marriage is somehow traditionalist? How does that work? You realize people married more and divorced less in the 50s, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marriage is a dumb cultural construct that's unnecessary unless one wants the financial benefits from it, and that's not very romantic.

If you truly "love" someone, let your feelings be the finalizing factor of it, not some stupid cult-thing that was created by religion to place humans on the path they want.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By AlexGlass

Interesting topic, one I have been thinking about myself.

@tru3_blu3 said:

Marriage is a dumb cultural construct that's unnecessary unless one wants the financial benefits from it, and that's not very romantic.

If you truly "love" someone, let your feelings be the finalizing factor of it, not some stupid cult-thing that was created by religion to place humans on the path they want.

Marriage is not a dumb social construct, especially if you are a white or christian, unless you view it for "what's in it for me". Marriage was always about security and creating a safe and beneficial environment for raising children. When Hollywood poked holes in the views created by religion and decided to tell people it's all about love, it was easy to convince people a lot of what was practiced wasn't actually true. So a lot of people turned their backs on it.

I'm not religious in the least, but the fact is, it was never about love to begin with. It was-once again-for creating a nest, to reproduce and raise your children. And in a way it was also racial.

Fact of the matter is marriage and reproduction for whites and christians went hand in hand. Now people have been told it makes "more sense to wait". Ever since the construct fell apart, it should be no surprise the reproduction rates for both have dwindled and is currently at a diminishing rate. And if you're really going to be honest with yourself, then I believe a lot of men are probably thinking it's a risky business falling in love for a woman today who is far more promiscuous, more prone to cheating or betrayal without hardly any repercussion. You see it all the time happening and what you see is women getting married, leaving for some other man, in the process you get stuck footing the bill. But at the bottom of it all it's a fear, and a fear that only comes about if you play by the unfair rules society has currently placed on those who still want to practice marriage.

I personally made the same mistake. Married, didn't want to have children, ended up divorced. Not sure if waiting is such a smart idea either considering the longer you wait, the slimmer the chances you'll eventually find someone to have children and pass on your genes. In the mean time everyone else is reproducing like crazy because the current promiscuous model in society suits them perfectly.

Maybe some should stop listening to what society says when it's clear it's hurting your family, your marriage, your chances for having children. But the current alternative some have employed to this issue, which is to wait, to be afraid, not have kids, not reproduce, is also a sure path towards self-extermination. So that one isn't very smart either. Maybe the answer is to stop kissing the woman's ass in the hopes you'll get her to love you forever because that's just not working very well and develop a more practical way of looking at it all and dealing with the bigger problem.

Just my two cents.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I'll probably marry my current girlfriend someday, for health insurance reasons if nothing else. We've been dating five years and aren't in any rush, but are both ok with the idea of being together for the long haul.

Lexus2jz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martyarf said:

@lexus2jz said:

Are you attempting to imply that someone who has no interest in marriage is somehow traditionalist? How does that work? You realize people married more and divorced less in the 50s, right?

Yea I could not figure out what he was implying so I just didn't reply to him, lol.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't want children there no reason to get married.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me at 29-years-or-younger: Naw, and here are a list of reasons why I would never do such a thing and why I am above it.
Me at 30: You know what...yes, yes I would.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexglass:

But the human population is at 7 billion and our current economic system can't compensate for that amount of people, despite our planet having the resources to (bad allocation is the matter). So why have kids on purpose if you're dooming your species by doing so? Why place a kid in a world that might go to shit because of that very population? Would you want to bring a child unto this world when you're sure it's planet's safety is guaranteed instead of taking a risk?

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexglass:

But the human population is at 7 billion and our current economic system can't compensate for that amount of people, despite our planet having the resources to (bad allocation is the matter). So why have kids on purpose if you're dooming your species by doing so? Why place a kid in a world that might go to shit because of that very population? Would you want to bring a child unto this world when you're sure it's planet's safety is guaranteed instead of taking a risk?

Our current economic system? And where are your facts that we are dooming our species? I'm NOT sure that is guaranteed. I also realize there is an entire galaxy and universe out there that has plenty of space and resources. The only thing that's guaranteed in my mind, is that when critical mass is reached we will expand as we always have and discover new resources and land, even if that might mean it's not planet Earth.

It's hard for me to talk about this issue without bringing religion, race and sexism into it, because I believe that is a fundamental problem that underlies the issue. I can't speak for everyone but I am noticing that the people who seem to be concerned with this and keep pointing to these "facts" seem to be mainly whites(the least condensed population) and Chinese, who have a legitimate reason for concern.

Isn't that kind of weird? Africans don't care. Asians don't care. Mexicans don't care.

So the solution is to make room for more minority races who just don't seem to be concerned? What are we, dodo birds?

You have children because you are giving them a chance to fight and survive and reproduce just like you got one. Let them compete just like every other species on the planet. Guaranteed survival is not guaranteed, but self-extermination guarantees extermination. The only thing you can do is help improve those chances and give them the tools and intelligence necessary to deal with the problems of their generation.

trapfapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexglass: What in the actual fuck are you talking about?

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is this a mens only poll?

@animasta said:
No Caption Provided

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm married and it's THE BEST THING EVEERRRRRRR!!

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 22 now and I'm not planning on getting married until I'm 30 or so.

I want to have kids at some point, but I don't want to be limited to sex with one other person for the rest of my life. At least at this point that scares me haha

Jawshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 of my friends have gotten married before turning 21, what the fuck were they thinking.

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martyarf said:

@lexus2jz said:

I thought this was the 1950s, with statements like "get hooked to a chick". I just wanted to fit in.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Where's the option for 7-8, but no woman is that stupid?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tru3_blu3 said:

@alexglass:

You have children because you are giving them a chance to fight and survive...

That's fucked up.

We only had kids in the past so we could make our personal economy better; more men, better labor. Now that we're not living agronomic lifestyles anymore since we've let individual people own the entire world, having kids is only a choice that founts from emotions than on rational thinking. "Don't have kids? Not married? Then you don't have a life!" An occasionally stupid, if not close-minded statement if I ever saw one. Human beings can do more than just fuck one another and have kids. We've discovered thousands upon thousands of productive things that a human being can discover enjoying, could it be physics, art, and the simple act of exploring possibilities. Our dated culture truly limits us as to what we should do in our lives other than "marrying" and having kids.

Be Nikolai Tesla. Be Jacque Fresco. Try to use what we have on this planet, including you, to improve life conditions so we don't have to put children in a fucked up world in which they have to "fight, survive, and compete(and mostly lose)".

I can go on about economy, allocation, resources, and surplus and why our current economy, if not this entire planet, isn't going to handle any more of us in the coming decades. All I know is that making more humans isn't going to solve problems, and you're probably going to cry your balls out, if not commit suicide, once you hear that your son or daughter died or became homeless as he/she "fought to survive" in a inhumanely competitive world like ours where employment is low and the stock market crashes.