Moving to LA in 6 months. Where to begin...

kdenicolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kdenicolo

I'm moving from San Francisco to Los Angeles in 2017 for professional purposes. I'm very excited. Although i know very little about the city and the surrounding areas. Haven't started looking for places yet but I'm wondering if anyone here have any insight into where I should live or what the neighborhoods are like. Also when i move there... I'm definitely going to need the help of some fellow duders to point me to the best food and general things to do in LA.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Friend of mine lives in North Hollywood Burbank area and it was chill. Probably a car is your first priority.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By monetarydread
@liquiddragon said:

Friend of mine lives in North Hollywood Burbank area and it was chill. Probably a car is your first priority.

For sure you will need a car in LA. Unless you live a block away from work, there is no other legitimate option. Everything is spread out and the public transportation doesn't come close to what SF has to offer.

Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have said, car is your number 1 priority. Maybe live in a nearby that's near a major freeway. Might be cheaper.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

I'm also moving to LA from the UK in 6 months! Interested to hear people's advice.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kdenicolo: I'm a Nor Cal guy but I've always liked the Pasadena area. Depending on where your job is that might not work. Like I wouldn't want to commute to downtown LA every day from there.

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Heya, I lived in LA for 7 years about...4 years ago now. I will concur with the car unless you plan on living in the neighborhood that you work and never need to leave it. Local transport is okay depending on the area, but getting between say downtown and Venice or wherever sucks. If you're used to SF prices, then there's a lot of nice areas to live that locals are mad at for being too expensive. I love Santa Monica and Brentwood is nice if a bit granola. I'm sure there's some pockets of okay prices for both, but in general they are up there. Culver City is less nice, but where a lot of young working folk live. Apartments for days there. Mid town has some cool stuff. Miracle Mile and anything near La Brea have ready access to food and night life. Hancock Park has a cool 60's Hollywood vibe and you can get several thousand square feet for under 4 grand which is rare below the hills. Koreatown and Venice are equal parts vibrant bohemian\citylife and sketch.

If you need cheaper than SF prices, then you can do the stuff north of the mountains: North Hollywood/Studio City/Burbank/Van Nuys/Northridge all depending on where you're working. They are all gonna be cheaper than living south, but that is because it's 40 min commute minimum to anywhere south from there because there's only like 3 ways to get across that hill.

There's probably an analog for most districts of SF in LA so if you have a favorite area there, that might be a good starting point. I don't know a lot of the subtle stuff, but the whole Mission=Venice, Castro=West Hollywood trope seems vaguely true.

Also, I will say that being near either the 10, the 5 or the 405 is a great way to get across town. The 101 and 110 are a trap and are to be avoided, especially during baseball season.

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

@kdenicolo: What city is your job located?

@ragnar_mike: The Expo Metro Rail line was completed this year, which runs between Downtown LA and Santa Monica.

kdenicolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanj: Hey I just saw this post... If you make it to LA and are looking for people to hang with I'd be down to meet up or something. Knowing a duder whose also new to LA would be pretty cool

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By s-a-n-JR

@kdenicolo: Hey, sure that would be cool if/when I arrive! Right now I am 83% certain I am moving to LA.