• 58 results
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By penguindust

Well, classical has been around forever and I never get tired of it.

1. It's cliche, but I never get tired of Pachelbel's Canon in D - there are so many versions around each with something different.
  2. Another very well known piece I like is Ravel's Bolero. I'm re-watching the first Digimon series and it's used heavily in the original soundtrack.
  3. A third famous piece used in a lot of other media is Trumpet Voluntary by Jeremiah Clarke
  4. As mentioned about Bach is timeless. I like his Minuet in G Major and Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude
  5. Another that crosses over between jazz and classical that I love is George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.

But, I also like jazz a lot and I think that music will have some permanency in modern culture. Like classical, jazz standards are performed over and over by wide variety of musicians. Each add their own flavor to the songs as that's what jazz is all about.

1. Another George Gershwin song from Porgy and Bess has become a standard in jazz; Summertime. I like Miles Davis version best.
  2. Caravan written by Juan Tizol is another great song that has become a staple for jazz bands.
  3. Dizzy Gillespie wrote A Night in Tunisia in 1942 and it's been recorded by numerous other performers over the years.
  4. Miles Davis himself provided us with a classic from his album Kind of Blue; So What.
  5. And no list would be complete without mentioning Thelonious Monk's 'Round Midnight. Reported to be the most recorded jazz standard.

For pop, I'm not sure how much will still be played 50 or 100 years from now. Pop is for the masses and so it has a short lifespan. Just as the tavern songs of 200 years ago are no longer played, rock (even the most famous) will likely be forgotten with time.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By SSully

@PenguinDust: That video was awesome. The top comment on the video has it right, "When aliens visit earth, I hope they see this and not war."

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By JayDee

@H2Oyea: if you mean stuff that you will continue to listen to as you age... sure

the test of time means still being listened to 30, 40, 50 years from now by people our current age.

Purkinje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Purkinje

She Will Be Remembered by the ridiculously talented chiptune artists, Danimal Cannon.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By MooseyMcMan
benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By benpicko

The new Noel Gallagher album is pretty good. These three songs in particular:

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#58  Edited By Vinny_Says

Think of all the music in all the history of music and try to think of music that instantly anyone can recognise; your youtube video probably won't stand the test of time. Sure you'll listen to it as you age but 500 years from now nobody will remember it.

hate it or (love?) it everyone will remember this:

forever and ever and ever....

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Aegon
@Vinny_Says said: 

forever and ever and ever....

Forever ever? Forever ever? Ever ever? Ever ever? Ever ever? Ever ever?
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By Gizmo

Late 90's trip-hop was the fucking best. Good trip-hop doesn't seem to age, and i'm guessing in 30 years time you would struggle to put this music down to a time period if you weren't familiar with it. Maybe it's because i'm a 90's child and have this special affinity with 90's music...

Damn shame that the genre has all but died out.