My cat was run over today, and I feel like the shittiest person.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By jeffrud

I got Ernesto from his previous owners less than a year ago. He was an indoor/outdoor cat who liked to explore outside a lot. Not a month ago he wound up needing about $900 in veterinary care, which I could barely afford and will be paying off for some time now. Today I let him outside and two hours later, via a phone chain (his tags were from a previous owner) I found out that he had been hit by a car, brought into urgent care, and had died on the way. I could use a kind word right now. 

EDIT: I just got back from the urgent care clinic where he was left, by an anonymous good Samaritan no less. I needed to go see him for some obvious reasons, but mostly because when my best friend died four years ago I missed his funeral and that pretty much ruined my life for a year or two afterward. Closure is good. Kind words are also good. Thank you everybody for being cool. I'm sorry for all of your losses as well. There are going to be better days after this one, for sure. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Unprofessional Friday not being archived for three days again?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

It can be really difficult to know where to draw the line when it comes to veterinary expenses. Sorry shit went south for you.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I'm sorry for what happened to you, and I'm sorry for your loss. I've had two dogs die on me, one right in front of my arms almost. Worms, I sure. ~ I've never had a cat, and I've never had mine get run over, but I hope I can say that I was close to what you're feeling right now. I hope your feel better, and go cheer yourself up. ~ My condolences.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

I'm sorry man. That sucks.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By monkeyking1969

Sorry that stinks and that's just the truth.  

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Man, that's terrible. Stay strong, duder.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Losing pets is awful. I feel your pain.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Roger778

I know exactly what you're feeling. Years ago, when I was living in California, this cat my parents and I owned, had a habit of ducking outside, whenever she saw the door open. Her name was Isis, and she got run over by a car.

So, yeah, I'm sorry what happened to you. Just try to stay strong for us.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chrissedoff

If this happened to my dog, I'd be practically suicidal right now. RIP Ernesto.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Sorry, duder. That's why I keep my cats inside.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust

Rest in peace Ernesto. While it is a bad situation to be in, it will pass. These things happen. The best we can do is learn with the situation, and go on.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aas

Why would you feel "like the shittiest person"? You choose to spend 900 dollars on your cat when he needed it. Sounds to me like you were a great pet owner. Also, you have my condolences. My cat got sick last year and just the possibility that he might not make it was heart-wrenching. XOXO

okoctothorpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By okoctothorpe

Poor Ernesto. It sounds like you cared about him a lot. May the pain pass quickly.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By HellknightLeon

Yeah... Thats never good... Um... Sorry Mac.

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Luca717

sorry man :(

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By UitDeToekomst

sorry to hear it. definitely sucks. feel lucky that you weren't there to witness it and it was probably without suffering. i've experienced the opposite and it is much worse.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Pop

He died how he lived, exploring the world.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

Dam. Needing to make payments on that bill will be a constant shitty reminder. I wish ya the best of luck dealing with it. I know when my cat died it was one of the darkest days in my life and I still feel the pain from time to time. All you can do is mourn and eventually the pain will lessen to the point that you're not thinking of it at all times. My cat passed away from complications of old age, but she too was an outdoor cat and if I ever get another cat it will never be an outdoor cat. Too many nights and days spent worrying about why kitty is late coming in or when they feel like staying out for a day or two your mind instantly goes to the worst places and it's torture waiting.

As said above, if you were willing to spend that kind of money then you obviously are a good owner. Some day in the future you can give another kitty a home.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By EarlessShrimp

As someone who grew up with a mother that bred cats, I've seen plenty of cats die for various reasons. It's never easy to see them go. I wish you the best.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By pweidman

I feel your pain. Losing pets can be devastating. When you're ready, adopt a cat that needs a good home duder.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By coakroach

The world is a cruel and random place sometimes.

Sorry for your loss duder, chin up.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By McShank

Last year My cat was poisoned by a neighbor with coolant and i had taken her to the vet. Spent 1100$ keeping her alive for 2 days to try and save her to find that the doctor couldn't do anything and it was to late as her body was slowly shutting down. I can feel your pain as losing a pet is no different to losing a close friend. May all the loving pets be somewhere with lots of cat nip and dog bones.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#23  Edited By Little_Socrates

Condolences obviously offered. You're not shitty in the least. But,

@McShank: Wait, like, intentionally poisoned your cat? What the fuck?

Avatar image for royalewithcheese
RoyaleWithCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RoyaleWithCheese

Condolences. I've lost several dogs over the years, and yea, it sucks. Just remember: "The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal."

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Losing pets is the worst thing. Girlfriend's dog darted out into a street and was hit by a car. We chased after him but the pieces were in motion before there was any opportunity to change what was going to happen. It was like watching the whole event unfold in slow motion. The worst feeling in the world.

Sorry for your loss, friend.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WasabiCurry

I am sorry for your loss, duder. My first dog passed away in the same manner...

My family loved our little black pug.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShadyPingu

Sorry to hear that, duder. I know I'd be just inconsolable if my cat died.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

that sucks man. must be rough.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Man, that sucks, I'm sorry for your loss.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dungbootle

Sorry for your loss man. Pets are wonderful.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By VoshiNova

I'm so sorry for your loss duder.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Clonedzero

that sucks, ive had a number of cats throughout my life. a few of them died from being outside, so i know exactly how that feels. sucks man.

at least the person was kind enough to call and attempt to save him.

i just found my last cat dead in the street :(

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By laserbolts

Sorry dude cats are pretty cool.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Sooty

My cat of 16 years also died on Wednesday, fortunately it was seemingly painless. (Kidney disease) R.I.P.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By RawknRo11a

Sorry to hear that man. Pets can become closer than most friends sometimes. Stay strong and remember, Ernesto is probably in kitty heaven right now...

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By fattony12000

:(

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By YOU_DIED

We don't own animals, they own us. Sorry for your loss.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is never easy, back in 2011 my cat who was 23 years old passed away. I was a wreck for quite some time.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jared

I'm sorry to hear that, dealing with the loss of a pet is not easy. It's like losing a family a member. In time the pain will pass and you will always have the memories with your cat.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jrinswand

Holy shit, duder, that's awful. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. Keep your chin up and any future cats inside the house!

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

My condolences. Feel better fellow duder. <:-(

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By frankfartmouth

That blows man. I always used to let my cats go outside too. They enjoy it so much.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Wolfgame

@jeffrud:

Two thanksgivings ago our family dog had died of old age and some minor health problems, and when I say thanksgiving I mean the day of. So that "holiday" has been forever changed for me. He was a 12 year old border collie we had since he was a puppy. A great dog, I still remember checking on him that morning. Whole family was in tears, looked like he had been crying. He had enough energy to look up at me and then he was gone. Following that shortly after new years my personal dog a collie chow mix also past away. I got her from a foster home where she was rescued from a neglient owner (the previous owner had fired a weapon at her wounding her). I then got in touch with the foster home about providing her a permanent place to live. I can tell you it was a great experience. She mingled so well with our other dog, the border collie I mentioned. They got along so well. Unfortunantly she also past away. Except I had to make the decision to put her down at the vets office. I had walked outside and she was spazzing out and wheazing. she started couphing up blood. then an hour later she was up just as happy as could be. I felt terrible, like my emotions were being manipulated. If she were in constant pain the decision I made would have been so much easier. But it was after another occurence that was similar I realized I had to have her put to sleep. She no longer had feeling in her body from the hind legs to about the middle of her back. She walked in with me to the vet and I sat there with her until she was gone. The whole time I was holding her.

I say all this because it never is easy. We have the illusion of choice on how they pass away in some cases. But either waking up to a dog that is no longer with you or having to make that decision at a vets office while your pet is smiling at you. Neither of those are choices. Neither option can be considered better. At the end of it all, you will just have the memories. I know your situation was different. I offer my condolences. The memories are the only healing really. Think of the good times together, the companionship and remember your pet wouldn't want you to be sad.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By saethir

That sucks man, I've had to bury two dogs, and both times it has been the most difficult thing to bring myself to do. The first one was a year older than me at the time, and the second was a great friend for most of my life. Saying goodbye to a pet and a friend is never easy, so my most heartfelt condolences go out to you. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#45  Edited By Raven10

That's terrible. I'm sorry for your loss. Stay strong duder. You'll make it through this.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Miketakon

Oh man I'm sorry to hear it. Just look at it this way you have a couple of pals waiting on the other side.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

That sux man, I had a cat when I was in middle school who got hit by a truck and had to have a ton of surgery (lost an eye, minor brain damage, and tons of stitches). It cost my parents a ton of money and then a month later he was diagnosed with leukemia and we had to put him down. It sux wasting all that money and then your cat ends up dying. I'm glad you know what happened to him at least. Its better than worrying for months where he wound up.