Need a good, weird date night movie

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Slaps2

So it's not really a date, but a girl is coming over my house tomorrow for drinks, pizza, and a movie. We're both pretty bizarre people, and I'm struggling to think of movies to suggest to her. I promised 10 suggestions and only have 2 so far. I'll list em as I like your suggestions. I'll watch pretty much anything. The weirder the better, but it's gotta be rent-able on amazon prime. Not necessarily free, but rent-able.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (I promised her assless chaps at some point. The Road Warrior delivers on that promise)

Romeo + Juliet (The intro is so dumb that I need it in my life again)

Why Don't You Play In Hell

Donnie Darko

Se7en

In Bruges

Edit: I think I'm gonna keep it to only mid-level weird shit

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shit... meant the off topic board. How does I move?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@slaps2: Choose ''full edit'' in your OP to move it to a different forum.

Also, Videodrome.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

MacGruber

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's some weirder Ghibli stuff that might fit the bill; Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away perhaps? If you want really weird I highly recommend the Japanese "horror" film House. Don't know if any of those are on Amazon streaming though.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

The Holy Mountain?

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

You should watch House.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In Bruges

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Adaptation

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By endaround

What do you mean by weird? I mean Eraserhead is on Hulu. Well anything Lynch...or Cronenberg. Watch Existenz to see what VR is really going to be like.

Or do you want some light and fun like 50s monster movies?

Since you promised chaps, then what you really want is Zardoz

No Caption Provided

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a dark comedy, might I suggest Happiness

It has John Luvitz in it. If you do rent it, be sure to get some strawberry icecream to eat while you're watching it.

Also, if you have Netflix, look for "A Talking Cat!?!"

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

My Favorite Year. Might be kind of hard to find (I don't know anything about Amazon Prime), but I thought it was a pretty good comedy with a surprising amount of pathos to it. Basic premise involves an Errol Flynn type character who is scheduled to appear on a Saturday Night Live type show. Of course, the guy is based on Errol Flynn, so he's a hopeless drunk and womanizer. Story is about the SNL production guy assigned to watch him over the weekend and make sure he gets to the performance on time and sober. Hilarity ensues. Really good lesser known movie.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kazzenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kazzenn

Blue Velvet if you have Prime or Netflix since it is free. You could also go with The Fly which is a really good Cronenberg date movie.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

You definitely want to watch Cabin in the Woods. It's like a classic scary movie, only not.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Match Point

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Good, The Bad, and The Weird. A korean comedy remake of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. It's got two of the words you requested from the title!

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vamino
donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#19  Edited By donutfever

They Came Together.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I'll recommend Survive Style 5+.

It's as crazy as its title might suggest. It's also quite funny and well rated. It's kind of like Pulp Fiction or Snatch, but it comes from Japan, so there's less gritty criminality and more hilarious absurdity.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7 said:

The Good, The Bad, and The Weird. A korean comedy remake of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. It's got two of the words you requested from the title!

I second this. Such a good movie.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By veektarius
Loading Video...

Repo Man

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harold And Maude

Some one already posted it but I have to second Zardoz.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I am inclined to agree with the lovely person above who suggested Zardoz, I will offer my own entry.

ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE.

This movie is fantastic, and strange, and funny, and sad. It's a vampire movie, which might make you want to stop right there but there is one more thing you should know, it's a vampire movie directed by Jim Mother Fucking Jarmusch aka the man who made GHOST DOG. One of the most imaginative and unique directors out there. This means it will without a doubt not be like any other vampire movie ever made. For instance, there is no violence in the film. It is about two vampires and their hundreds of year old relationship, and stars Tom Hiddleston (yes, MF LOKI) and the goddess Tilda Swinton.

It also has one of the best soundtracks you might hear all year. I love this movie so much, and it is a crime if you miss it.

Trailer HERE (and yes that is Tilda Swinton with a blood popsicle)

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always wanted to watch Submarine with a girl, so you should do that for me. Seven Psychopaths is on Amazon now too, it's a funny deconstruction of "gangster" movies-same writer director as In Bruges.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RonGalaxy

depends on what mood of weird you're going for. Uncomfortable, bizarre, funny. There's different shades of weird.

Not a movie, but black mirror is pretty bizarre, but not uncomfortable. It's an anthology series, so each episode is self contained (like a movie) and the show centers around extreme, techno-phobic, scenarios. The first episode is my personal favorite, and is extremely bizarre/funny. And it's on netflix (not sure about amazon, but probably).

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By joshwent

@savage said:

I'll recommend Survive Style 5+.

In all the years since I was lucky enough to randomly catch that flick at a film festival, I've never seen another person mention it. Survive Style 5+ is amazing. Genre-bending action/horror/comedy/drama/weirdness that is unlike anything I've ever seen. (and I've seen a lot) A great recommendation for an all too overlooked gem!

Although, I have to imagine that it isn't available to rent on Amazon Prime, as the thread stipulated. But really, OP, if you want the best weird shit, Amazon is definitely not where you want to stop looking.

So to add another movie that's probably not available there, one of my all time favorites, Forbidden Zone. It's basically a 30's Fleischer Brothers cartoon come to life. Only with more Hervé Villechaize, young Danny Elfman (it was written and directed by his older brother, Richard), and all the gratuitous nudity you could ask for.

(NSFW, obviously) ;)

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underneath the Skin. Movie probably wasn't a horror film but it left those feelings in me.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MeMonk

How about Four Lions, it is a dark comedy about terrorism very good.

I also second the recommendation of Zardoz it is super good.

Meet the Feebles is a very weird Peter Jackson puppet movie. Watch it wounder how he got Lord of the Rings.

If you want a really good Foreign horror/thriller I recommend I Saw the Devil.

If you want to see one of the strangest movies ever made watch the Holy Mountain.

Loading Video...

GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, hear me out on this one. Codependent Lesbian Space Alien Seek Same. It is a VERY independent movie with a lot of heart and everyone who I have told about has come back to me saying that they really liked it.

You should really give Codependent Lesbian Space Alien Seeks Same a try.

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaps2 said:

Edit: I think I'm gonna keep it to only mid-level weird shit

I would take Why Don't You Play In Hell off of that list then, even if I did recommend it myself. It's pretty goddamn weird. Watched it with my best mate and there were definitely a couple times where we turned to look at each other with looks of "What the hell?". Also, now that I think about it.. It's maybe to frenetic to make a good date movie, unless you really know you'd both be into it.

I see Donnie Darko on your list, I'd say that's probably just right.

If she likes action movies, let me throw in The Raid and The Raid 2. Not especially weird, but still great. Hammer Girl in Raid 2 is killer. The most recent Dredd movie is also great for action (and shares more than a few similarities with The Raid.)

jsgr93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jsgr93

I've yet to see it, but Holy Motors is supposed to be really weird. A quick image search will prove my point. Enjoy

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the constant nagging of my friends, I watched Old Boy for the first time last week.

I could definitely file that film under "Pretty Fucking Weird"

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kazzenn said:

Blue Velvet if you have Prime or Netflix since it is free. You could also go with The Fly which is a really good Cronenberg date movie.

I actually came into this topic to post Blue Velvet, if she's right kind of weird. You best make sure she knows what she's getting into though, otherwise "BABY WANTS TO FUCK BLUE VELVET" might be a bit much.

Makayu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch "White Comanche" it's a B western starring William Shatner in both the leads. He even has a climactic shootout with himself at one point. It's a pretty good date movie in that it keeps the conversation up.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't go wrong with Lynch or Cronenberg. Filmmakers named "David" apparently have all kinds of mental problems they are particularly adept at getting out on the screen.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A double bill of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension and Big Trouble in Little China.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#41 sweep  Moderator

If it's a date movie then you want something kinda lighthearted that doesn't get too dark and also doesn't require you to stay focussed too long. I dunno about In Bruges for that reason... I love that film, but it's kinda fucked up. They say the word cunt a lot, too. Depends on the lady I guess.

I'd recommend something like Cabin In The Woods, which is both hilarious and original. If you want a thriller then go for Blue Ruin. Nobody has heard of it but it's one of the best films I've seen in a long while, about a homeless guy going after the man who killed his parents and just got released from prison.

I'd also recommend The Kingsman, which is pretty shameless but fuck it, that film is rad.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Jeust

Paris I Love You

Loading Video...

or Cloud Atlas

Loading Video...

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

do you know what kinda movies she likes? weird is pretty broad you know? i really like some of the suggestions but compare to say In Bruges, Why Don't We Play In Hell? is more than mid-level weird but I wouldn't consider In Bruges weird, just good. Also, Why Don't We Play In Hell? is not very good. If you want to see much better movies from the same director go with Cold Fish, Nariko's Dinner Table, even Suicide Club or if you want to see something really stomach turning Strange Circus.

I would 2nd Cabin in the Woods as a safe choice because it's fun and has a unique twist to the typical horror genre (it's not scary). @jsgr93 suggested Holy Motors (even though he hasn't seen it) and it's really awesome if she's the artsy type and not everything has to "make sense".

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@slaps2 said:

(I promised her assless chaps at some point. The Road Warrior delivers on that promise)

Protip: All chaps are assless.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. She chose Romeo + Juliet pretty much right away.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaps2: Boo. Should have gone with The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next time check out Being There and Harold and Maude.

dusker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valerie and her week of Wonders.

Dune.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers