• 86 results
Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Winger

They keep changing shit, I already thought of giving up my membership at the end of the month because my membership went from 7.99 to 9.99 and now 15.99. 

Also today they made it so only one PC or system can use it at a time, I have family in my home that use netflix, and if we can't both watch something on one membership i'm done. What the fuck are they thinking? Their stock prices are going the fuck down as well.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jeffgoldblum

If you don't like a service you are paying for, stop paying for it.

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Winger
@JeffGoldblum said:

If you don't like a service you are paying for, stop paying for it.

Yeah, I am. This is going a bit far, and judging by the stock prices and general hate for it now I'm not the only one. 

For once it seems as if people are making an effort to stand against this, unlike those CoD map packs.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Personally, I dropped to just streaming.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By DevWil

people complaining about netflix sound crazy to me. it's still a great value. i prefer it to cable/satellite, and it's way cheaper than either. 

and one subscription per person isn't crazy. even if it is, i can't find evidence online that you're not making this up. a link would be nice. 

i've always been surprised that i could watch one netflix program while my girlfriend watches another on the same account when she's away visiting her family. calm down.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Did they make that one system change recently? I have a friend's Netflix account set up on my PS3 and I've never had a problem before. Besides the service just being down every fourth time I try to use it.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I've been doing only streaming as soon as they offered it. Yeah you miss out on most newer stuff, but if you have an itch for WWII documentaries, Netflix streaming has got you covered.

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Winger
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
Did they make that one system change recently? I have a friend's Netflix account set up on my PS3 and I've never had a problem before.
They made it today, yesterday me and a family member in a different room were watching movies, today we tried and it says something like 1 movie is being played, thats is your limit please turn off 1 movie. 

Agreed, it is still a value but i'll be damned if i'm going to open up two separate accounts to watch a limited amount of movies and television shows.
punpun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By punpun

ok well thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter i guess

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By McShank

I had 2 dvd's and streaming at 14.99$ now they was to change it to 2 subscriptions... a 15.00$ for just dvd's and 7.99 for steaming.. wtf, Iv had this for over a year and never had a problem but now they want to split my account into 2 seperate but with the same name. Dropping the dvd's soon as i refuse to pay that much for a movie when i can just watch what comes out for 1$ with redbox or other less *Economically helpful* methods.. Since the whole ComCast thing about them charging their customers extra for using netflix, everything has been getting screwed up..

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DevWil
@Winger: what were you watching on and what was the exact error message? i can't find anybody on the internet backing your claims up, and it's not impossible that you misinterpreted the error that happens if you accidentally try to have two netflix streams going on the same machine.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By penguindust
@JeffGoldblum said:

Personally, I dropped to just streaming.

This is what I plan to do, too.  My internet connection isn't fast enough for anything better than blurry 480p and I prefer to watch 1080p BDs through their mail-rental service.   

The big problem is that the cost of licensing content for streaming has increase 10 times what they paid previously.  For example....

....Netflix [recently] renewed a multiyear licensing agreement with NBC Universal for a fee of as much as $300 million a year. That's more than 10 times the $22 million a year Netflix paid for NBC content in the prior deal. Starz, the premium pay-TV channel that owns the streaming rights to movies and shows from Sony Pictures and Disney, is also looking for a bump. Starz receives $25 million to $30 million a year from the current contract, but Rich Greenfield, an analyst with BTIG Research, predicts Starz could get about $250 million this time around.

Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Securities, estimates that Netflix's total streaming-content costs were $180 million in 2010 but could balloon to nearly $2 billion in 2012. Source

There is also a theory that this uproar is being done on purpose by Netflix to force content suppliers to open up their libraries to streaming services instead of hoarding everything for their DVD sales.  

[Netflix CEO Reed Hastings] is deliberately creating dissatisfaction. He's creating dissonance precisely because [of thin] title availability, those first-run titles, needs to be available more immediately and more widely as a (video on demand) or as a streamed offering. So this is a leverage play. This is Reed saying you can't bifurcate. You're going to have to make all of your content available in a way that your customer has clearly indicated that he or she wants. Netflix is wagering that if all parties are dissatisfied; if Netflix is unhappy because Netflix customers are unhappy and if Hollywood is unhappy and if everyone is unhappy then we're going to speed the clock on new solutions. Source

I wouldn't pay much attention to the stock as an identifier to the company's financial future.  A month ago, it was opening around $250 a share and Friday it closed at $276.  The day they announced the price hike, the stock went up to $300 per share, so it's back down to a more reasonable boost. 
jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By jacdg

Well, I don't even have the option to have something as cool as Netflix, be thankful you even get the opportunity to use something as cool as that, the closest I get to online streaming services, is movie renting for 8 dollars a movie...

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DevWil
@JacDG said:

Well, I don't even have the option to have something as cool as Netflix, be thankful you even get the opportunity to use something as cool as that, the closest I get to online streaming services, is movie renting for 8 dollars a movie...

this. 

complaining that it costs $8/month to be able to stream what probably amounts to more video than you can watch in a lifetime is really ugly.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By teh_destroyer

I might just keep my 1 dvd at a time for a while simply to just clear up my dvd que. After that I will just go with streaming, I get HD streaming all the time and it looks great.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'll be going streaming-only very soon. I just don't watch the discs when they show up anyway.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Sambambo

I really don't see what you are complaining about.

I am from the UK, so I have no experience with Netflix, but everything you have said that Netflix are doing seems logical (and value for money).

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By toowalrus

@Winger: Increasing price to account for the increasing costs?! That's bat-shit INSANE!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Also- Winger's for pussies.

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Winger
@TooWalrus said:

@Winger: Increasing price to account for the increasing costs?! That's bat-shit INSANE!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Also- Winger's for pussies.

Huh...
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DevWil
@Winger: are you going to answer my question?
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Slaker117

I changed my plan to just streaming, and I still think it's a great value.

DarkHeroZark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DarkHeroZark

@Winger: I don't seem to have that issue. I was able to watch 3 different shows on 3 different devices (Xbox 360, PC, 3DS) at the same time. Maybe the problem was 2 of the same devices (i.e. 2 PCs) can't stream at the same time.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BestUsernameEver

There's no excuse for only being able to play content on one device at a time. Seriously, if they allow me to have content on 5 pcs, i want to stream content on those devices any way I want. I guess technically you aren't getting what you paid for. BUT, netflix itself, no matter how backwards/retarded they are, they still have a great service that's convenient and ad free, unlike Hulu or hulu plus.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiquidS

Work out how many hours a month of entertainment you get for how much you spend. Chances are you are getting better value than any other media you pay for.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By BaneFireLord

I just get streaming, and even with the price hike it's one of the better deals out there to watch movies and TV. 

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@BaneFireLord said:
I just get streaming, and even with the price hike it's one of the better deals out there to watch movies and TV. 
yes it is, even if most of it is pretty bad, it actually just fine when I'm really bored and want to watch some random thing. 
PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PokeIkzai

I just do Netflix Streaming sub. I don't even care about their DVD plans, really.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Didn't Netflix say at one point that they were NOT going to increase the price?  I always thought that was the main issue here.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NickL

@DevWil said:

@JacDG said:

this. complaining that it costs $8/month to be able to stream what probably amounts to more video than you can watch in a lifetime is really ugly.

Unless you love documentaries and really mediocre movies, there is not enough on streaming right now that you would WANT to watch, that's the whole point of all the backlash happening right now.

Sure it's expensive to maintain all those streaming contracts, but that doesn't make it a good value for the end user. The only thing streaming has going for itself right now is it's tv show selection.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By subject2change

an account is for a person, you can only log into XBOX Live on one account, same applies for steam. It's completely reasonable.

Also the raise is only huge to those that do streaming and 1 dvd at a time, also 6 bucks isnt huge. VHS and DVDs used to be like 5 bucks for 3 days with late fees. Stop crying, it's cheaper than cable and a great service. Maybe they wanted to stop losing money and make a profit.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@Subject2Change said:
an account is for a person, you can only log into XBOX Live on one account, same applies for steam. It's completely reasonable.  Also the raise is only huge to those that do streaming and 1 dvd at a time, also 6 bucks isnt huge. VHS and DVDs used to be like 5 bucks for 3 days with late fees. Stop crying, it's cheaper than cable and a great service. Maybe they wanted to stop losing money and make a profit.
Movies and games, not the same thing, hard to believe, but true. 
ikaruga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ikaruga

I dropped my subs after they decided to charge me $6 more. It's not that $6 is a lot of money but that's what push me to cancel it. The streaming selection is too limited (old shows and movies that I have almost no interest in) and i like having the option of DVD (although my disc just sit around for months). I'd much rather take the 17 bucks and spend it on steam.

Mike512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Mike512

I don't like all this complaining people are doing about Netflix. You are getting two great services, movies by mail that arrive incredibly quick and a great selection streaming all for an affordable price. Compare that to GameFly for a second. I signed up for that increasing awful service and for the first full week I had the top 3 games in my GameQ have available now, high or medium availability for the entire week and they didn't ship a game. I had to send an e-mail complaining for them to finally ship my game. Now my games have been sent back and I've been waiting almost a week for them to send my next games. All of this at about $10 more a month than Netflix.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By subject2change
@BestUsernameEver said:
@Subject2Change said:
an account is for a person, you can only log into XBOX Live on one account, same applies for steam. It's completely reasonable.  Also the raise is only huge to those that do streaming and 1 dvd at a time, also 6 bucks isnt huge. VHS and DVDs used to be like 5 bucks for 3 days with late fees. Stop crying, it's cheaper than cable and a great service. Maybe they wanted to stop losing money and make a profit.
Any account is sole ownership. Not a family or friend thing. It was an example of another account that will kick you off if someone else logs in. Game or not they both provide a service to YOU.
MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MrRedwine

@SuperfluousMoniker said:

Did they make that one system change recently? I have a friend's Netflix account set up on my PS3 and I've never had a problem before. Besides the service just being down every fourth time I try to use it.

And this is why they are making the change to one PC or device at a time. Makes perfect sense to me.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@Subject2Change said:
@BestUsernameEver said:
@Subject2Change said:
Any account is sole ownership. Not a family or friend thing. It was an example of another account that will kick you off if someone else logs in. Game or not they both provide a service to YOU.
Movies are a whole different service than games, it does and should have different ways to access the content. Just because a PC centric gaming service like steam only allows one login and a content video site allows multiple logins for more people proves how backwards your thinking is. Just because it is a service doesn't mean it should be all treated as one entire category. 
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By august
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

It seems Netflix's motives to split the plans is to eventually phase out the DVD shipping, as it's more expensive. Netflix is slowly spending their money on getting quality entertainment on streaming, and the final push would be to not have DVDs, so they're making it seem less desirable.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39  Edited By wefwefasdf

I'm glad they changed that. I know too many people that gave setup their Netflix account with a bunch of friends and were abusing the system. It would have been better if they just changed it to two but since I never share my Netflix streaming, it isn't a big deal to me.

trypio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By trypio

I'm still not sure what i will drop yet. =/

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BjornTheUnicorn said:

It seems Netflix's motives to split the plans is to eventually phase out the DVD shipping, as it's more expensive. Netflix is slowly spending their money on getting quality entertainment on streaming, and the final push would be to not have DVDs, so they're making it seem less desirable.

However, they REALLY need to improve their streaming selection first.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DevWil

i don't have any problem with their streaming selection.  they've got many of the best TV shows of all time and no shortage of good movies, in my opinion.

they don't have everything i want, but it's still an incredible value. they've got the complete star trek: TNG series, for cryin' out loud. the DVD box set for that series is hundreds of dollars. i'd consider paying $8/month to be able to stream TNG alone. 

everyone complaining about the price increase is only comparing it to the old netflix price, which i thought was an absolute steal. it's still really cheap when you compare it to virtually every other form of entertainment! 

and we still have zero confirmation that the OP's complaints about one-stream-per-account are true. i'm going to test it right now with my macbook and 360. 

edit: no wonder OP didn't answer my question. i just streamed from my macbook and 360 at the exact same time, no problem.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By smitty86

@President_Barackbar said:

@BjornTheUnicorn said:

However, they REALLY need to improve their streaming selection first.

I don't know man. They do have BOTH Transmopher movies on there.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By kerse

@teh_destroyer said:

I might just keep my 1 dvd at a time for a while simply to just clear up my dvd que. After that I will just go with streaming, I get HD streaming all the time and it looks great.

Yeah same here, then its off to red box if i want to watch something new, great job Netflix. Although if it is a secret plan to get people to put more stuff on their streaming then that would also be great.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Doctorchimp

I was just going to ride out August and cancel my blu ray sub and keep streaming. Too many great TV shows and foreign movies to cancel their instant.

I guess I'll start renting out blu rays from Red Box. But honestly I go to the theater so much it's not like I'm missing much from new releases anyway.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By louiedog

I dropped cable and went to a one-disc Netflix plan. It was waaaaay cheaper. I never watched the discs so I jumped on streaming only when it became available. I also watch new content with Hulu and various network websites to supplement. HD antennas are like $20 and will give you better quality network TV than cable/satellite because of the compression they use.

If you're still paying for cable/satellite I can understand why another $6 a month may not be worth it for you. But, if you're like me and Netflix is the only subscription cost you have for TV, it's still completely worth it, even with discs.

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LUMIN4RY

With DirecTv I don't need anything else.

Mike512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Mike512
@MrRedwine said:

And this is why they are making the change to one PC or device at a time.

Good thing I'm almost done watching Rescue Me on my friends account on my Xbox.
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hunkulese

They want people to drop dvds.

Shimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Shimmy

I don't know man.

If $6/month more seems crippling to you, you probably shouldn't be paying for Netflix to begin with.