New feature: Recommendation spam

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

Edited By LordAndrew

A new feature was rolled out to today. Now whenever you vote a post up in the forums, an entry appears in your feed indicating that you've done so and the other user will receive a PM as well. Unfortunately, it's not very useful. You can't even tell which post was recommended.

If you go into your privacy settings, you can prevent it from appearing in your feed. And from the looks of it, that will also prevent the system from PMing the other user when you do it. There does not seem to be a way to prevent these PMs from being received though, so I might have to stop posting on the forums until such an option becomes available.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LordAndrew

A new feature was rolled out to today. Now whenever you vote a post up in the forums, an entry appears in your feed indicating that you've done so and the other user will receive a PM as well. Unfortunately, it's not very useful. You can't even tell which post was recommended.

If you go into your privacy settings, you can prevent it from appearing in your feed. And from the looks of it, that will also prevent the system from PMing the other user when you do it. There does not seem to be a way to prevent these PMs from being received though, so I might have to stop posting on the forums until such an option becomes available.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Lies

The temptation to + your post is so strong right now...

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

Quick update: Apparently it does tell you which post was recommended now. That's a bit better, but I still wish I could block those messages entirely.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By brukaoru

I would prefer it showing us all the recommendations we've received on a separate page, and if we're interested in seeing if our recent posts have been +1ed, then we can go there. Individual messages to our inbox seem very unnecessary and annoying.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah? Well, I'm gonna rate you up!

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kush

I'm not a fan of this feature either...I woke up to a bunch of PMs all saying  "You just received a recommendation from *Insert Username Here*" stuff? and I can't say that I'm feeling this new "feature".

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us

Come one LordAndrew we all know how it turned out before :P. The temptation to +1 you right now is tempting.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Black_Rose

All I have to say is that it's not fun to wake up to 16 messages by Jayge.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By c1337us
Black_Rose said:
"All I have to say is that it's not fun to wake up to 16 messages by Jayge. "

And that didnt make you feel special? lol.

Looking at the ratings happening already this could turn into something BiggerBomb started all over again. But so far I have resisted the temptation to participate in the +1 shenanigans this thread round.

I feel so proud of myself XD.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By snide

This was supposed to be for your reviews only, it's a bug that it's happening in the forums.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By c1337us

Oh Ok that wouldnt be so bad. I take it then that there is a cure on the way.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike
snide said:
"This was supposed to be for your reviews only, it's a bug that it's happening in the forums."

I couldn't help but +1 this.  =P
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By c1337us
MB said:
"snide said:
"This was supposed to be for your reviews only, it's a bug that it's happening in the forums."
I couldn't help but +1 this.  =P"
lol. You shouldnt be encouraging us =P
HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By HazBazz

Everyones post is getting a +1. This is the most positive, happiest thread on the forums. NOW SOMEBODY +1 ME!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero
LordAndrew said:
"A new feature was rolled out to today. Now whenever you vote a post up in the forums, an entry appears in your feed indicating that you've done so and the other user will receive a PM as well. Unfortunately, it's not very useful. You can't even tell which post was recommended.If you go into your privacy settings, you can prevent it from appearing in your feed. And from the looks of it, that will also prevent the system from PMing the other user when you do it. There does not seem to be a way to prevent these PMs from being received though, so I might have to stop posting on the forums until such an option becomes available."
Haha, if this is a new feature you guys put out today, why are you encouraging us to block it already? What's the point of adding this feature if you guys find it to be useless and annoying?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By c1337us
HazBazz said:
"Everyones post is getting a +1. This is the most positive, happiest thread on the forums. NOW SOMEBODY +1 ME!"
Ha ha, BiggerBombs thread was going nuts a while ago.  But I'll give you a +1.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LordAndrew
TheGreatGuero said:
"Haha, if this is a new feature you guys put out today, why are you encouraging us to block it already? What's the point of adding this feature if you guys find it to be useless and annoying?"
I was not involved in the creation of this feature. I don't work for Giant Bomb or Whiskey Media. ;) But I figure people should at least be told how to prevent it from happening.
And according to Snide, this feature was supposed to be used for reviews only. Due to a bug, it's happening in the forums as well.
snide said:

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By kush

I'm assuming that this feature has been fixed now since I was happy to find no PMs of "recommendations" when I woke up today. Thank you very much! :)