NFL 2016 Discussion Thread - Ready for Some Football

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i will say that TMZ is a flaming sack of shit so dont be so ready to trust them...

not that i like goodell

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah Goodell might be boned.

Good time to bring up that Roger Goodell makes 44 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR

Please, please be true. I have begun to hate Goodell more than fucking Garry Bettman now and as a Canadian hockey fan that says a lot.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The NFL seems a lot like the US government, in that nobody ever takes responsibility or takes action when action should be taken. The individual teams don't care to punish players because they only care about winning and don't want to do anything to harm their chances, the NFLPA seems to have a "hey our heads are up our asses, nobody will find us here" approach, and Goodell is about as much of a sleazeball, lying, bullshit spewing individual as any senator or representative. Truly the most American of sports.

All of their priorities about punishments are out of whack and out of tune. Gordon gets a full years' suspension for smoking weed more than once, and if that video had never been made public Rice would be showing up to work this Friday. Seriously, what the fuck?

Also, happy to see the Lions thrash the Giants, despite not being a fan or detractor of either. I just want Megatron to catch some damn passes.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@seveword: What do you expect? If you remember during the whole former NFL players concussions lawsuit against the league they said it themselves that when you enter the league they drill it into the players and executives heads that "protecting the shield" is the most important thing. The shield obviously being the NFL logo / brand.

I mentioned before that there's no way Roger Goddell would get fired unless he did something really, really dumb. A cover up of this magnitude, him knowing of the 2nd video and trying to cover up the incident is the dumb thing that could potentially get him fired. I mean it's probably not all his fault but if they were going to sacrifice anyone it has to either be a high up executive in the NFL or Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatpinguino said:

@mems1224: Is it though? It is certainly getting more and more profitable, but it seems like its popularity is stagnant or waning. The league is such an institution in the US at this point that it is hard for it to lose money, however that doesn't mean that the status quo should be maintained. David Stern was a great commissioner and Adam Silver still looks like an improvement right now. The NBA upgraded from good to great. Now I think the NFL could afford to upgrade from bad to at least mediocre.

You have to take into account the overseas revenues the NFL could possibly make as well since Fulham F.C owner Shahid Kahn purchase of the Jacksonville Jaguars he's kind of opened the door for the NFL to build it's brand in Europe. They are now hosting a game in London each year and are in talks about possibly expanding in the UK later along the line. As long as the NFL is making money no way Roger Goddell's job is on the line unless he totally fucks up and does something super, super dumb. If you look at last years revenues numbers when comparing the NFL vs NBA the NFL made about 6 billion more than the NBA last year and their games in terms of ratings are twice as more than your average nba game.

Speaking of Silver while he has done stuff in a positive way to differentiate himself from David Stern time as commissioner. We also have to remember guys that Silver was David Stern's #2 guy since 1992 and was handpicked with some influence by Stern to takeover. Silver is probably more like David Stern but with less of the sleazeball grin to him.

Oh by the way I was a Supersonics fan so I'll always hate David Stern. So my thoughts on David Stern are bias.

The NFL is doing everything it can to appeal to the European market, but I don't see the international demand increasing. Basketball has enough counties interested to field a World Cup of basketball that the US does not always win. Also the NBA plays 82 games a season stretched out over the course of the week while the NFL plays 16 games with most of them being on Sunday. The NFL is event television at its best, while the NBA is a fairly typical sports league. The ratings comparison is really apples and oranges, especially considering the NBA's international streaming audience.

As far as Silver being a hand-picked protege, I don't see that as an issue. Stern was not a bad commissioner (other than the Supersonics heist. I'm so sorry) and most of his failures were during the last few years of his tenure. Goodell has had so many PR nightmares in the last few years it is staggering and I don't see a ton of good decisions to offset them. There was the 10 years to late admission of the dangers of concussions, the Saints bounty debacle, and the Ray Rice debacle. I don't see how he is responsible for the growth of the NFL brand.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Power Ranking for week 2 are out:

NFL.com

Bleacher Report

CBS Sports

ESPN

Not really sure what's up with CBS Sports but the Broncos at #1? I can agree that Broncos should be top 3 but with the almost collapse at the hands of Andrew Luck in the 4th quarter no way that team should be ahead of teams like Seattle and SF. Sure SF was playing the Cowboys but that was still a dominating performance from a team people thought would have to rely on their offense to win games.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SF seems to be in much more reasonable power ranking levels now.

also CBS sport rankings seem weird, no way the broncos are > seahawks right now and the bengals are ranked to high

my 2 cents.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Associated Press just revealed Authorities sent NFL executives the 2nd video back in April. I love it! For all the times Roger Goddell threw his weight around giving people suspensions and what not without due process. Finally a chance for Goddell to go ahead and sweat it. I smell a conspiracy that could possibly cost Goddell, a few high up execs, Ravens GM Newsome and possibly Coach Harbaugh of the Ravens their job.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i will say it is a little funny how the major uproar was only released after the video is released...

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrailx: It was a major uproar back then. I think it's big news now because of how high up a possible cover up could go within the NFL.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah the cover up is what going to end up costing jobs, as it rightfuly should

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@azrailx: From my stand point if there was a cover up the only way to satisfy the people is for the NFL to hire an independant investigator and figure out if there was some sort of cover up among the NFL higher ups. If there was someone has to take the heat, I know most owners wouldn't want to sacrifice Goddell but if it's gotta happen, it's gotta happen. I'm actually wondering if Goddell would be alright with this, I mean he preaches that everyone has to hold themselves to a high standard but can he do it himself if he truly is at fault? I mean the guy gets paid 44 million a year so he better be holding himself to a high standard.

What a bunch of bull just read there will indeed be an investigation lead by a man who was previously director of the FBI. The funny part is that it will be overseen by John Mara and Art Rooney, owners of the Giant and Steelers. I think it's ludicrous that the NFL is doing their own internal investigation rather then hiring a third party to lead up the investigation. The two owners have much to lose as anyone if their was a coverup within NFL headquarters.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NFL football tonight: Steelers vs. Ravens.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: What a fucking blow out...

I'm honestly surprised the Saints are still in the top 5 power rankings after that defensive performance last week. Not a great start, considering they ended up 4th in terms of defense last year.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#215  Edited By Atlas

@i_stay_puft: Power rankings are pretty much always total bullshit until you get to like Week 4. At this stage, probably the biggest determining factor for people's power rankings is a team's projected ranking prior to the season. A couple of games is far too small of a sample size to make any meaningful rankings. If rankings were based just on Week One performance, here's your top five ranked by team VOA (VOA isn't defence-adjusted until Week 4):

1. Seahawks
  2. Vikings
  3. Lions
  4. Titans
  5. 49ers

Broncos are #9, Eagles are #14, Patriots are #20, and Packers are #27.

@warpig87 said:

@i_stay_puft: What a fucking blow out...

I'm honestly surprised the Saints are still in the top 5 power rankings after that defensive performance last week. Not a great start, considering they ended up 4th in terms of defense last year.

I'm inclined to believe that the Saints-Falcons game says more about the improvement of the Falcons offence than it does about the Saints defence. Matt Ryan almost always plays well at home, and having a healthy Julio Jones and a solid running game makes a huge difference. The offensive line even held up reasonably well. I believe the Saints defence will be pretty damn good this year, and will improve on last year's numbers (they finished 10th in defensive DVOA).

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rob Ryan has been a marked improvement, and the new talent picked up in free agency has me hopeful but... the lack of tackling even against someone like Ryan who's good outside the pocket was painful to watch.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@warpig87: If you saw my previous post I was actually liking what the defense was doing against Matty Ice during the game. I also thought Byrd looked phenomenal, I just think the defense got gassed towards that end and kinda looked defeated when Colston fumbled the ball. Still game one and alot of these starters are trying to get use to the football grind. If I had to look at both of these teams I still think the Saints are more of the complete team than the Falcons. I just don't trust that defense for Atlanta, with such a young secondary and no Witherspoon in the middle.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By azrailx

@atlas: the titans are doing well this season from the little I have seen but #4 in ranking seems a little questionable to me, this early in the season

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrailx: Time will tell whether the Titans are as good as they looked or if the Chiefs are really just that bad. I didn't watch the game, but if Jake Locker stays healthy and Whisenhunt's offence is able to get productive play out of him, they could surprise a lot of teams this year. As a Colts fan, it'd be fun to have some proper Colts-Titans wars this year.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By InternetDotCom
Avatar image for differenceengine
DifferenceEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice win by the 49ers, but it was expected when facing the Cowboys and Tony boo boo. Still looking forward to the showdown with SeAdderall.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@gorillamopena: Holy shit the NFL needs to hire a new P.R manager. If this was any NFL week the LeSean McCoy 20 cent tip would of been the biggest story of the week.

Sounds like Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy won't be playing today after recent events this past week.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

All I just want to say is go Fish! Please don't let down on the Bills today, go out there and earn that second win!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mocbucket62: Was rewatching Sal and Bill Simmon's betting predicting, kinda amazed Sal betted on the Fish to win the division. If Tannehill can stay afloat in the pocket he's pretty decent. Still haven't seen enough Fish games to know how accurate his arm is downfield when throwing the deep bombs to Wallace. That division is basically Pats and Dolphins.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Oh man RGIII down again... down goes RGIII.

D-Jack goes down... D-Jack goes down.

The Skins stars are getting pumelled today.

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Atlas

I've been watching the Falcons-Bengals game. It's been pretty dire for the Falcons, and the score-line flatters them slightly; Cincinnati stalled in the red zone a couple of times and missed two FGs. Atlanta's O-line haven't been able to block the Bengals front seven all day, and Gio Bernard has had a big day. Highlight is probably CIN WR Mohamed Sanu throwing a pass 50 yards downfield to Ben Tate and completing it.

Elsewhere, the rumours of the Patriots demise were greatly exaggerated, Carolina's defence looks pretty legit again, Eli Manning is still, well, Eli Manning, and a busted coverage by the Saints defence just handed victory to the f'n Cleveland Browns. Who da thunk it?

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

@i_stay_puft: Well after seeing what just transpired, might as well add the Bills in for divisional contention. Or the Dolphins will continue to be the most inconsistent team in the NFL...

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH MERCY, IT'S PERCY!

He stepped out of bounds though XD... still counts!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chargers are lookin good today against the Hawks.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like RGIII is likely gonna be out for the rest of the season, dude can't catch a break.

Man this has not been a good half for the Seahawks. This last minute drive really helped but man the D has not been its usual self. Props to Rivers and the Chargers for actually targeting Sherman though.

It's terrible to put this spin on the current events in the NFL but wow people's fantasy teams must just be screwed after this past week. With the legal stuff going on with Rice, Peterson, Hardy plus the rash of injuries this weekend.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#231  Edited By Slaps2

Man, that Pats D lit it up. Pretty much carrying my fantasy week alongside Jimmy Graham.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was a brutal game to watch, never would have thought the Hawks would lose cause of their defense and not the offense. Still props to the SD offense though, they played a great confident game.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Hawks faced a tough Chargers team today. Hopefully we'll bounce back tomorrow against the broncos.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#234  Edited By ez123

Bobbling and letting easy catches hit you in the face. Way to go Rams receivers.

TEs on the other hand...

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant say im not happy about the seahawks losing

just watch the 49ers lose now =0

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Hawks faced a tough Chargers team today. Hopefully we'll bounce back tomorrow against the broncos.

Or next week against the Broncos. :P Either way, it was a tough game today. But next week, we'll have the home crowd to our advantage. Probably won't start the game off with a safety this time, though.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

tfw you have Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall on your fantasy team

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Go Colts ! that is all

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

As a lifelong Bengals fan I am use to disappointment but if I keep my expectations low to simply winning a single Goddamn playoff game I think I will be happy this season. That said, suck it Falcons fans!

I got to say I am really worried about Vontaze Burfict, two concussions in two weeks is not good. That is the kind of thing that ends a career early and leads to long term problems.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Anybody see Kirk Cousins play? Dude played lights out even if it was against the Jaguars. Gus Bradley is a good defensive coach and to see his team get torched up like that just goes to show that Cousins can start in this league. Cousins might not be the better QB in D.C but he showed that he's probably the most best suited to run Jay Gruden's offense. There is definitely a QB controversy brewing and who knows if yesterday was RGIII last game in Washington.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: RG3 is starting to look like a major bust. He keeps getting injured and he hasn't shown any true improvement in the times he's been healthy.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cousins might not be the better QB in D.C

Very very questionable statement. I have a plan to watch every game this season. I can't wait to watch that one.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@slaps2 said:
@i_stay_puft said:

Cousins might not be the better QB in D.C

Very very questionable statement. I have a plan to watch every game this season. I can't wait to watch that one.

By better I mean on a pure athletic level. When RGIII came into the league we knew from the scouting reports he was lights out with his speed and we knew he had both a cannon for an arm with the accuracy on his throws. With Kirk Cousins we really didn't know much about him except that he was drafted behind Osweilder, Nick Foles, and Russell Wilson and he was probably going to be used as a bargaining chip later on for the Skins if he developed into a decent QB.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Week 3 - Power Rankings

NFL.com

Bleacher Report

CBS Sports

ESPN

Broncos moves to the consensus #1 on all the ranking boards. Surprisingly, the Bengals are right up there too making me wonder if this is Andy Dalton's "Joe Flacco" year. Obviously with the Hawks and 49ers losing they tumble a bit but not so much as they are still up there on the top 10 lists.

In other news pictures were leaked that put into perspectives how badly Peterson whipped his 4 year old boy when news came to light last week. The pictures showed laceration all lover the boys legs and back area, some that the mother alleged were bleeding when he was sent home back to Minnesota where the mother lives. There was also reports another mother of Peterson's kids said the same thing happened to her child when she sent him to Texas to live with Peterson over the summer. With recent news coming to light this is another black eye to the NFL Shield and to a hall of fame player who has had a squeaky clean image since coming into the league .

Due to the new evidence the Minnesota Vikings have overturned their reinstatement of Peterson a few days ago and he is inactive indefinitely until the court case is settled. Goddell is now not only battling the Ray Rice fiasco but now this as well. I'm pretty sure Goddell is hoping for some sort of BALCO scandal in MLB or "Malace in the Palace" scenario in the NBA to shed light away from the awful PR nightmare the NFL is currently facing.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone watching Thursday Night Football? This has to be the biggest 1st quarter shellacking I've ever seen.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I caught some of the highlights. McCown is a backup...

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not even a football fan, but this suuuuuucks. There are grown men on the bench crying.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Hailinel

Oh my god, this is just sad.

HOLY SHIT. The Bucs finally scored!

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points