Non-premium members getting just 360p videos?

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#301  Edited By benpack

@uomoartificiale: They announced during the live show that they are going to start uploading in HD.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#302  Edited By Liber

@GlenTennis: Wasn't is 720 ? I remember Vinny being very explicit about how fucked up the 480p format is.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#303  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Still_I_Cry said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

@Napalm said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Napalm said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

Pay up, bitches.

Do you walk into McDonalds (since you're probably a fat American) and demand free burgers because you used their toilet? You seem like an entitled douchebag so you probably do.

Sorry, a lot of us aren't 14 year-olds that live off of our mommies and daddies like your attitude certainly suggests.

What? This makes no sense. If I was a 14 year old, what money would I have to spend on website subscriptions?

Think before you type so I don't have to read drivel like this again, please.

Right over your head it seems, so I'll just sit back on this one. I already stated my opinion so I really have nothing else to add to this conversation.

I have to laugh because America is not the fattest country in the world, yet people keep trying to state that it is.

America hasn't collectively lost weight or improved its health at all,
other parts of the world are just gaining more weight. There is nothing to laugh about.

Oh, "The percentage of adults who are obese hasn't increased much over the past 10 years after several decades of skyrocketing growth, an indication that America's obesity epidemic is finally starting to level off, according to a landmark government analysis released Wednesday."

That made me laugh. So it hasn't increased much? Oh, brilliant. So the increase is lower, but America are still fatasses? PROBLEM SOLVED.

I don't even care, I just find it hilarious that I've managed to derail a thread about how entitled some people feel to a bitch-fest about a country's health.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#304  Edited By benpack

@Liber: That's what I mean, yes.

Avatar image for uomoartificiale
uomoartificiale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305  Edited By uomoartificiale

@GlenTennis: That's good to hear. Also most of the people here, subs and non-subs alike, were quite worried about the fact that going on youtube with that kind of quality was detrimental, especially because of the trailers. It gave a misleading idea of what kind of quality is in GB to an outsider. I'm happy if they can rectify that.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#306  Edited By Grillbar

@The_Nubster said:

@gike987 said:

They are also doing the opposite of attracting members to the site by uploading it in 360p. The standard YouTube member will most likely just laugh at the low resolution, then they will leave and watch some of the thousands of HD videos instead and never visit the giant bomb channel again.

Youtube is a massive site. The 'standard' member is not someone who cares how many p's their video is in.

+ the 360p on this site is actually better then the 360p on youtube, due to some compression. and not only are they getting more users due to the youtube thing but allso save save a tone of money on cloud servers

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By Grillbar

@Gearhead said:

As a paying member, I agree with this non-paying member's sentiments. Up it Whiskey Media.

listen to the WM radio show and find out why they are doing it. its actually making it better you both non paying members aswell ans paying members by doing this.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#308  Edited By emem

@uomoartificiale said:

@GlenTennis: That's good to hear. Also most of the people here, subs and non-subs alike, were quite worried about the fact that going on youtube with that kind of quality was detrimental, especially because of the trailers. It gave a misleading idea of what kind of quality is in GB to an outsider. I'm happy if they can rectify that.

Yeah, I also think the video quality (res and bitrate) is something that shouldn't really matter anymore. 720p with a decent bitrate is something that people expect by now and when a trailer looks like shit (pardon my French) they just go somewhere else to watch it.

And even though a good looking 720p seems to be the standard right now I'd personally prefer 1080p for everyone. But I guess the files would get to big (more HDDs/storage needed) and editing/encoding would take longer, too. It's time for cheap SSDs with at least a TB and a streaming service with good quality for live events (Justin kinda sucks imho, but I guess that doesn't belong here...). :)

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309  Edited By RoyCampbell
@McShank said:

Dont bitch if you cant pay to support the site. Until you support the site then dont complain about things as YOU HAVE NO reason to complain since you have not invested Anything into it.

Y'know, this tacky medal thing we have attached to our avatars doesn't automatically grant us superiority nor does it grant you the right to be an obnoxious jerkoff. 

Call it flaming or whatever dumb internet-coined term, but that shit right there has to stop. I don't think anyone at Whiskey Media would be at all impressed with opinions like that, especially with the way it was presented.
fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#310  Edited By fodigga

@artgarcrunkle: Where the fuck do you come up with numbers like that? Sure, the investment capital is mostly public information but you are talking out of your ass with this 72k salary. How can you substantiate that?

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@thebroken: Lead411.com suggests the average salary is $72,023, which seems reasonable for a media company of the size and scope of WM. I'm guessing the average is as high as it is because of the engineers and whatnot who I'm guessing work on multiple projects outside of Giant Bomb, Tested, Screened and Anime Vice. This all seems like reasonable conjecture to me, and I think you might be underestimating the scope of what whiskey does and how much revenue they bring in if you don't think $72k is a reasonable average income for WM employees. I even seem to remember them saying on a podcast they rent that bar space out for functions, which is sure to net a bunch of money in the SF Bay Area.

You know, I didn't imply that my numbers were 100% accurate so there's no reason to get into a tizzy and say fuck and insinuate I talk out of my asshole instead of my mouth :(

I don't even normally have a tongue in my ass how am I supposed to talk out of it that is so mean :(

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#312  Edited By fodigga

@artgarcrunkle: I had no intention of being hostile to you, those were just the words I chose.

This really has nothing to do with the topic, but my issue is that, in a notoriously low paying field such as games press, 72k seems about 20k too much for your average editor. I have listened to enough people talking about writing about video games, and none of them have ever said you should pursue that line of work for the money, because its not very good. And for a company like Whiskey Media, I don't see there being a large disparity between the different positions like editors, video producers, designers, and engineers. Everything about that number just seems off.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@thebroken: From what I've seen just clicking things on the internet experienced Games Writer Abouters can make around 20k-60k. All the GB guys are experienced enough to warrant the upper end of that spectrum. The GB guys are also in a situation where they'd be more likely to be on the upper end of the payscale. The editorial staff is small, they have decent financial backing, and they're all pals who started a company together/were invited to work at a company their friends started. People I know personally who work in computery fields make around 40k-80k, fresh out of college even, but obviously that's anecdotal. Considering what their computer dudes are doing I'm imagining they're hiring some people with talents that demand decent pay.

I'm uncomfortable saying this because I like to let the fanboys creep into the GB dudes personal lives so I don't have to. But either Jeff or Ryan live in Petaluma if I recall correctly. The median household income, average gross rent and property value there are all higher than the Californian average. Some of the people who work there probably live in SF, which is pretty expensive. Both of those cities have been in CNN Money's Best Places To Live [to stay away from the unwashed masses] before so yeah. These guys are living in places in the same league as Newton...and if you're going to NEU out of state then I guess that's a meaningless statement.

Anyways this whole thread is off the rails, and the only reason I tried to bring up financial information in the first place is because angry fanboys seem to be convinced people not subscribing are trying to deny the best bros they've never met their well earned income.

agentmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#314  Edited By agentmoo

Several hours of free content every week sounds like a good enough deal to me.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#315  Edited By sickVisionz

@Syntax12345 said:

360p youtube: http://i.imgur.com/uNgfP.png

High quality in the GB player: http://i.imgur.com/ve3QQ.png

They look the same to me. Stop complaining when you won't even support the site.

edit: Let me amend that. They look almost the same to me. The difference is there, but subtle enough that complaining when you won't even shell out $5 a month (skip a happy meal or two.) to support a site you like.

I watched the MGSHD video partially on the regular player and partially on YouTube and they looked near identical to each other. The only real difference for me was that the GB player died after 10 minutes while the YouTube stream played the entire thing fine with no problems. I think people are bitching too much. The site offers a subscription for people wanting more and their current uploads are good enough imo. They've said that the YouTube vids have been successful at bringing people to the site so the whole, "people won't visit the site if it isn't HD" argument has been proven false. Let's lay it to bed.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#316  Edited By penguindust

I really doesn't matter to me. I just want something that loads fast and doesn't require a lot of buffering through my less-than-mediocre broadband connection. To use an FPS analogy, I'll take steady framerate over polished graphics each time.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

@Napalm said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Napalm said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

Pay up, bitches.

Do you walk into McDonalds (since you're probably a fat American) and demand free burgers because you used their toilet? You seem like an entitled douchebag so you probably do.

Sorry, a lot of us aren't 14 year-olds that live off of our mommies and daddies like your attitude certainly suggests.

What? This makes no sense. If I was a 14 year old, what money would I have to spend on website subscriptions?

Think before you type so I don't have to read drivel like this again, please.

Right over your head it seems, so I'll just sit back on this one. I already stated my opinion so I really have nothing else to add to this conversation.

I have to laugh because America is not the fattest country in the world, yet people keep trying to state that it is.

America hasn't collectively lost weight or improved its health at all,
other parts of the world are just gaining more weight. There is nothing to laugh about.

Oh, "The percentage of adults who are obese hasn't increased much over the past 10 years after several decades of skyrocketing growth, an indication that America's obesity epidemic is finally starting to level off, according to a landmark government analysis released Wednesday."

That made me laugh. So it hasn't increased much? Oh, brilliant. So the increase is lower, but America are still fatasses? PROBLEM SOLVED.

I don't even care, I just find it hilarious that I've managed to derail a thread about how entitled some people feel to a bitch-fest about a country's health.

In response to his statement that there have been no improvements, it shows that one could infer that there are improvements being made and the fact that is is leveling off further suggests this. As does the rest of the information in my response.

Brilliant indeed.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By napalm
@GunslingerPanda:

You're an asshole.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#319  Edited By LiquidPrince

@sirdesmond said:

@Twilight said:

I don't want to sound like I'm demanding anything, because I'm not paying

If you didn't want to sound demanding then maybe you shouldn't have made this thread in which you are demanding higher quality videos.

Presenting what he feels is an issue for the site is not sounding demanding. As a paying member I share his sentiment that 360P is a bullshit resolution.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#320  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Napalm said:

@GunslingerPanda:

You're an asshole.

Reported.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321  Edited By jjnen

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Napalm said:

@GunslingerPanda:

You're an asshole.

Reported.

Grow some balls dude. If you start trolling/flaming try to withstand the consequences.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By alternate

Not sure why y'all are still arguing over this. Apparently they said they wanted to upload 720p to youtube unless paying members objected and if you read the comments on the radio show thread it is about 98% in favour.