AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Animasta said:

have you seen him post previously? discussing shit with him doesn't work. I've tried!

totalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwartotalwar

Even if he had previously claimed that he had an intimate experience with Jesus Christ, I don't see how that is related to the rather reasonable argument he's presenting and providing with examples from his past experiences. 
So don't derail this thread by attacking people's character, this discussion can get really insightful and interesting if you give it a chance.
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Vodun

From where I'm looking at it, games are cheaper now than they ever were...Maybe this is only true for Sweden, but when I started gaming in the early 90's I would easily pay (in today's dollar exchange) $80 per game. And that was on PC. Now I pay on average the equivalent of $50-55 (retail).

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By AngelN7

Hi! I'm a 40 something guy that had a PC in early 2000s when you were a poor kid I'm better than you! I know the thruth and you're just a kid! who doesn't know anything stop ruining video games for me! ... and get off muh lawn!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Animasta

@AhmadMetallic: his argument is "CONSOLE GAMEEEEEEEES" so no, I don't think he has a point

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Animasta said:

@AhmadMetallic: his argument is "CONSOLE GAMEEEEEEEES" so no, I don't think he has a point

So you're saying that console games are above discussion? There are certain things that are for some odd reason immune to scrutiny? 
I'll remember that the next time we discuss something.
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By laserbolts

It doesn't bother me at all. The only people that it effects are the people that buy the stuff.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Animasta

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Animasta said:

So you're saying that console games are above discussion? There are certain things that are for some odd reason immune to scrutiny? I'll remember that the next time we discuss something.

if you don't think that over priced DLC would happen even if the primary development of games in general went to the PC, you're completely naive.

I love PC gaming, but come on

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Bell_End

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Animasta said:

So you're saying that console games are above discussion? There are certain things that are for some odd reason immune to scrutiny? I'll remember that the next time we discuss something.

i think what he means is that EVERY post he makes in someway belittles those that game on a console. as if they are the reason that games have DLC now. which is just not true at all. unless you can prove otherwise.

its surely the rising cost of games that have lead to DLC and dev and publishers wanting revenue streams to secure there substantial investment.

consoles have been around for nearly 25 years why all of a sudden are they the root of all the greed in the gaming industry.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59  Edited By Sackmanjones

I would love to throw my thoughts out but I think my head will get eaten so I'm gonna opt out of this nice and slowly……

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Remembering the late 90s as the most idyllic time in games is hilarious. You should actually go back in time and listen to all the people complaining how it was the worst. Code wheels and driver issues and Gamespy browsers and no refunds and Software Etc and Quake 2 fucking sucks and they want you to pay for Soldat and all the anger about everything, kind of like now. People were fuming at how battle.net worked then, too. There's nothing new under the sun when it comes to angry games enthusiasts.

Love the revisionist history though. It's like how baby boomers remember the 50s as the best time in American history, with the Christmas songs and the new car every two years. Let's forget that you had to be white to get a good job and Joe McCarthy was 'saving the country' from the Communists in Hollywood.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Brodehouse said:
Remembering the late 90s as the most idyllic time in games is hilarious. You should actually go back in time and listen to all the people complaining how it was the worst. Code wheels and driver issues and Gamespy browsers and no refunds and Software Etc and Quake 2 fucking sucks and they want you to pay for Soldat and all the anger about everything, kind of like now. People were fuming at how battle.net worked then, too. There's nothing new under the sun when it comes to angry games enthusiasts. 
This was all before my time so it's quite interesting to hear. Can you provide links on those issues especially the Quake 2 one? 
And since you seem to know your gaming history, please show me the parallel bullshit incidents that happened 1999-2005. You know, Age of Empires expansion packs, Half-Life expansion packs, Counter Strike and HL2 Deathmatch, Battlefield 1942 expansion packs, and so on. That is the era I reference when I talk about the golden age of gaming.  

@Sackmanjones said:
I would love to throw my thoughts out but I think my head will get eaten so I'm gonna opt out of this nice and slowly……
We're just bored young men sitting behind our computers typing away on our keyboards duder, don't let the aggression or walls of text fool you, say whatever you wish.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BraveToaster

The only way things will change is if people stop buying DLC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic I'm not a forum archive machine. People were mad about the same stuff they are now. Broken/buggy games and games were supposed to be awesome but turned out disappointing and games that were too short and games that were just repackaged stuff from the last one and games that had false advertising and games that had intrusive copy protection and games had stuff cut out from them to meet launch and games that ran in single frames if you bought one company's 300 dollar video card instead of the other.

There's nothing new under the sun. Yesterday's worst thing ever has been forgotten for today's which will be forgotten for tomorrow's. To quote Vonnegut, so it goes.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By MikkaQ

@Brodehouse said:

Remembering the late 90s as the most idyllic time in games is hilarious. You should actually go back in time and listen to all the people complaining how it was the worst. Code wheels and driver issues and Gamespy browsers and no refunds and Software Etc and Quake 2 fucking sucks and they want you to pay for Soldat and all the anger about everything, kind of like now. People were fuming at how battle.net worked then, too. There's nothing new under the sun when it comes to angry games enthusiasts. Love the revisionist history though. It's like how baby boomers remember the 50s as the best time in American history, with the Christmas songs and the new car every two years. Let's forget that you had to be white to get a good job and Joe McCarthy was 'saving the country' from the Communists in Hollywood.

Thank you, just fucking thank you.

It's about time someone remembered things as they happened. Personally I think we have it better than ever. The fact that it's abnormal when a game has broken multiplayer is a sign of that. It's so easy to get into a multiplayer game with your friends online these days that I'm willing to take a little corporate stupidity on the part of publishers.

Plus, I'd rather pay 80 bucks for a console game and some DLC I'll at least know I'll enjoy than pay the same amount on a random SNES cart that I have no idea will be good or not because Nintendo Power was basically payed advertising and the internet wasn't that prevalent.

Things change, some for the worse, but mostly for the better.

TimedExposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By TimedExposure

I find DLC a hot item issue that no matter what I say someone will think I'm an asshole. However I'll throw my personal opinion out for the masses to read. First thing is that DLC really is just an extension of what expansion packs use to be and along with inflation I think for the most part DLC's are far cheaper, but when stacked together probably equal to the price of one expansion pack. Also if you want to get them all, and usually you don't have to, that is why they started doing "season passes."

That said, DLC are just plain bad for the creators, small business's, and the players. The only people truly rewarded by this process are the large retailers and publishers, such as gamestop, best buy, EA, and/or THQ. I find the fact that studios anymore to make a major release are FORCED to create a series of different retailer packs of DLC so that people will preorder and makes their buying of product easier. This pretty much kills the ability for small business owners to sell new product.

I also as an artist feel bad for the creators who can no longer just create a "perfect" game. By the use of DLC your telling your audience that what you created wasn't finished, or that you don't stand by your product by itself. Look to movies or music, it'd be ridiculous of someone to release more "content" 3 months after their respective releases. We'd think less of the quality of the flick and wonder why it didn't come with it if it was so vital or important.

I understand as a passionate player we always want more, but at what sacrifice. I miss small independent game stores, and being able to play a game from start to finish, and not have to wonder if I need to buy more content only for some extra armor sets, or maps. The replay value of a game shouldn't change based purely on "extra content," and if it is then I think less of the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brodehouse To go on, we remember things like "remember how awesome the SNES was! Super Metroid and Uniracers F yeah!". We don't remember the Rex Ronan: Experimental Surgeons and the Mortal Kombat ports Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball. We remember Final Fantasy 7 and Resident Evil 2... Not Pandemonium 2.

There's the good and bad in everything, and the bad straight up gets forgotten. No one's still holding a grudge over how fucked up the Half-Life 2 launch was. No one's pissed at how they cut out features for Banjo-Kazooie, or how Knights of the Old Republic was straight up jacked on release. We do remember Gravity Guns and Jinjoes and the scene where you find out who Revan really is. That's just how we are.
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Gargantuan

As a man who has played PC games since the mid 90s I have to say that PC gaming has never been better.

edit: But I guess my opinion is invalid since my favourite shooter franchise is Halo and I dislike Battlefield.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TimedExposure You should actually look to music, because b-sides, demo versions and bonus tracks for Japan and Europe have been going on for over 40 years now.

If you bought the American release of Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) then I guess you'd never know you missed out on Bowie's version of Alabama Song.
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#70  Edited By veektarius

The amount that DLC is overpriced is based on how confident a company is that it has a captive audience.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#71  Edited By Sackmanjones
@Brodehouse
@Brodehouse To go on, we remember things like "remember how awesome the SNES was! Super Metroid and Uniracers F yeah!". We don't remember the Rex Ronan: Experimental Surgeons and the Mortal Kombat ports Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball. We remember Final Fantasy 7 and Resident Evil 2... Not Pandemonium 2.

There's the good and bad in everything, and the bad straight up gets forgotten. No one's still holding a grudge over how fucked up the Half-Life 2 launch was. No one's pissed at how they cut out features for Banjo-Kazooie, or how Knights of the Old Republic was straight up jacked on release. We do remember Gravity Guns and Jinjoes and the scene where you find out who Revan really is. That's just how we are.
Very good argument. It's absolutely true that When people remember a "past time" it's usually a happy memory. We can instantly point out the positives but it takes some digging to find the negatives.
xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By xdaknightx69

the more things change, the more they remain the same...

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SexyToad

Wow people have a lot to say about this. Also I changed my mind about fallout. I have the DLCs and they're decent and long.

Avatar image for zombie_bigdaddy
zombie_bigdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#74  Edited By zombie_bigdaddy

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Brodehouse said:
This was all before my time so it's quite interesting to hear. Can you provide links on those issues especially the Quake 2 one?
And since you seem to know your gaming history, please show me the parallel bullshit incidents that happened 1999-2005. You know, Age of Empires expansion packs, Half-Life expansion packs, Counter Strike and HL2 Deathmatch, Battlefield 1942 expansion packs, and so on. That is the era I reference when I talk about the golden age of gaming.

Thing is, that golden era as you call it would have ended in 2005 (or soon after) regardless of the success/failure of the xbox/ps3. I think at some point games became too big of an investment to rely sorely on unit sales to make a profit. Even if PC had remained king (in sales), studios would not have been able to provide all those expansions you are talking about. I mean, look at all the studis that were forced to be find companies willing to buy them or else go under. I bet you that 10 years from now there will be some dude on the internet posting about "how good that xbox360 era was compared to now, what with all those optional map packs and full games on the disc."

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AlexW00d

This thread is exactly why this community is allegedly better than all the rest.

Maybe one day people will learn manners and actually read and think instead of brushing shit off for no genuine reason. >:(

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By Vextroid

It's only overpriced if you make it overpriced. If you don't see the value proposition don't buy it.
There are people that see 15 dollars for MW3 maps fine. More power to them. I didn't buy them because, I don't see the value. If I was way into MW3 then yeah I would buy it.

Also I really like Dead Rising. Say if that had a costume or weapons pack for 15, you might think that's alo bug I think that's fine because I am having so much fun with the game and want. On the flip side if they charged say... 20, then U would say that's z big much.

As for the "discussion" way above, as a PC gamer I do not want to relive 1999-2005 so much, I don't know about you but I do not want to relive the launch of Steam.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@zombie_bigdaddy said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Brodehouse said:
And since you seem to know your gaming history, please show me the parallel bullshit incidents that happened 1999-2005. You know, Age of Empires expansion packs, Half-Life expansion packs, Counter Strike and HL2 Deathmatch, Battlefield 1942 expansion packs, and so on. That is the era I reference when I talk about the golden age of gaming.

Thing is, that golden era as you call it would have ended in 2005 (or soon after) regardless of the success/failure of the xbox/ps3. I think at some point games became too big of an investment to rely sorely on unit sales to make a profit. Even if PC had remained king (in sales), studios would not have been able to provide all those expansions you are talking about. I mean, look at all the studis that were forced to be find companies willing to buy them or else go under. I bet you that 10 years from now there will be some dude on the internet posting about "how good that xbox360 era was compared to now, what with all those optional map packs and full games on the disc."

Yeah, you guys have a good point.  

One last thing I want to add though, is that when it comes to DLC and content in general, the 1999-2006 (more or less) era was much better than today because back then there were actual expansion packs that had their own content and themes and lengthy campaigns, as well as mod tools that allowed Counter Strike and Battlefield 2 and Red Orchestra to exist as well as the great mods such as Project Reality, whereas today DLC is more of the same and publishers are trying to make modding a thing of the past.  
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Animasta

@AhmadMetallic said:

@zombie_bigdaddy said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Brodehouse said:

Yeah, you guys have a good point. One last thing I want to add though, is that when it comes to DLC and content in general, the 1999-2006 (more or less) era was much better than today because back then there were actual expansion packs that had their own content and themes and lengthy campaigns, as well as mod tools that allowed Counter Strike and Battlefield 2 and Red Orchestra to exist as well as the great mods such as Project Reality, whereas today DLC is more of the same and publishers are trying to make modding a thing of the past.

that's because there's less of a disconnect between console and PC games. usual console only games (japanese games, that is) are starting to come out for PC more often, which is great for me because I generally like those games better. That also means that a lot more PC games are being developed concurrently for the consoles as well. You still have mods for games, though. Stalker, Arma, Skyrim, Fallout, Strategy games in general (paradox games specifically). You're really just bemoaning the lack of a lot of mods for multiplayer focused games, and while probably true, there isn't a lack of modding for single player games.

Also there were plenty of expansion packs that weren't great deals either.