• 146 results
#1 Edited by AssInAss (2617 posts) -

I may be 25, but the lack of mech or monster movies makes this look fucking amazing. There's going to be like 9 monsters, some more details were on the Comic Con panel. Guillermo Del Toro, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, Charlie Hunnam, and yes Charlie Day.

HOLY SHIT

GIFs shamelessly stolen from NeoGAF

#2 Edited by PenguinDust (12491 posts) -

"This video does not exist"

That was quick, eh?

EDIT: okay, looks pretty cool but not enough angsty teenagers or school girls in short skirts to make it a real mech movie.

#3 Posted by VierasTalo (742 posts) -

Hoping for this to be some weird Half-Life/Portal-prequel or sequel. That voice and that white armor stuff looks sooo Aparture.

#4 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2140 posts) -

Its literally Ellen Mclain. Literally. Thats fucking weird.

Oh yeah the movie looks great too.

#5 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

All I heard was GLaDOS. I don't even remember the rest of the trailer.

#6 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

My head asplode. Giant monsters vs. Robots and I'm already on board but you tell me Guillermo del Toro is making it and I am freaking out.

#7 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

It's hilarious reading Jeff Green's latest tweets. Duder is psyched about Pacific Rim.

#8 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4600 posts) -

Movie ends with the not-GLaDOS taking over the robots, then taking over the planet, 'Still Alive' plays over the credits.

#9 Posted by AssInAss (2617 posts) -

Fixed the link.

#10 Posted by GunstarRed (5115 posts) -

GNGHGHGHGHHGHGHIKU&TKN;! That was my first reaction to the trailer.

#11 Posted by Chaser324 (6410 posts) -

My favorite part was Idris Elba doing his best Bill Pullman from ID4 impersonation.

#12 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I want this. I want this now. I... Holy shit.

#13 Edited by medacris (648 posts) -

@VierasTalo: It might actually be intentional. Guillermo Del Toro is a huge Valve fan (especially Left4Dead and Portal), and the voice of the AI is Ellen McLain herself. I think there's a video up where he talks about it-- it's on Kotaku, sadly, but in it, he says he approached Valve and told them how much he and his daughter love games, and they allowed him to hire Mrs. McLain.

#14 Posted by Veektarius (4769 posts) -

Grinning like an idiot by the end of that.

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

GIVE IT TO ME NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

#16 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

In this movie, there will be a billboard that says, "HL3 Coming Soon".

#17 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

My favorite part was Idris Elba doing his best Bill Pullman from ID4 impersonation.

Except that Idris Elba is way cooler than Bill Pullman.

I want to see this. Guillermo Del Toro has yet to do wrong. Both Hellboy movies were fantastic, and Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite films.

#18 Posted by AssInAss (2617 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

That will be some god tier trolling.

#19 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Is it next summer yet?!

#20 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@medacris said:

@VierasTalo: It might actually be intentional. Guillermo Del Toro is a huge Valve fan (especially Left4Dead and Portal), and the voice of the AI is Ellen McLain herself. I think there's a video up where he talks about it-- it's on Kotaku, sadly, but in it, he says he approached Valve and told them how much he and his daughter love games, and they allowed him to hire Mrs. McLain.

It's obviously intentional; she's reading the lines with identical cadence and the auto-tune-esque distortion of the voice is identical as well. There are different kinds of robot voice distortion, but they went with an identical one to GlaD0S. He might be pulling one over on his producers, but it's pretty clear that it's intentional.

The problem I have is that it's super-distracting for me. She even counts down when activating the mechs with the same timing! Like, I can pretty much only remember her lines from that trailer as a result. And visuals, obviously, which are pretty amazing.

#21 Edited by darkvare (765 posts) -

del toro actually asked valve for permission http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120087-Guillermo-del-Toro-Has-GlaDOS-On-Board-for-Sci-Fi-Movie

#22 Posted by altairre (1177 posts) -

"There is a portal between dimensions in the see and now there are giant monsters. Let's build giant mechs to fight them." Now that's a premise I can get behind. Seriously though this looks pretty amazing. There are some great trailers coming out recently.

#23 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

Isn't Legendary also putting out Godzilla? Hopefully this is a good indicator of what's to come of that.

#24 Posted by Purple_eye (64 posts) -

This trailer was a triumph, i'm making a note here..........oh you get the idea.

#25 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1726 posts) -

Good lord, this looks wonderful. Even better than I had thought. Guillermo Del Toro should just be hired to do every sci-fi/action movie from now on.

#26 Posted by endaround (2142 posts) -

Yes, Giant Monsters

Yes, Giant Machs

but also Ron Perlman.

#27 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

My cock is rock-hard right now.

#28 Posted by Catarrhal (826 posts) -

Can't wait for this. Del Toro should already be a household name; maybe this will get him the recognition he deserves. I love that man!

#29 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2483 posts) -

I'd heard Guillermo mention on The Nerdist podcast that Ellen Mclain was in the movie because he adores Valve, but I didn't expect it to literally just be her doing GLaDOS.

#30 Posted by Osaladin (2515 posts) -

Trying not to be overhyped for it, but holy fuck it's like this movie was made for me.

#31 Posted by themangalist (1731 posts) -

@Lydian_Sel said:

I'd heard Guillermo mention on The Nerdist podcast that Ellen Mclain was in the movie because he adores Valve, but I didn't expect it to literally just be her doing GLaDOS.

Exactly. Takes me out of the fun immediately. I just wish there was a Portal movie.

#32 Posted by AssInAss (2617 posts) -

Added GIFs to OP.

#33 Edited by panvixyl (325 posts) -

@AssInAss said:

@EpicSteve said:

That will be some god tier trolling.

That would be Kojima tier trolling. The sheer glory would bring a tear to the eye.

#34 Posted by Lukeweizer (2653 posts) -

"See it in 3-D!"

... No thanks.

#35 Posted by BonOrbitz (2183 posts) -

PUT THIS IN ALL MY HOLES

#36 Posted by Draxyle (1830 posts) -

@Winternet said:

All I heard was GLaDOS. I don't even remember the rest of the trailer.

Likewise, though I didn't even know this movie existed until I heard "Glados" was in it. That's a step up for their marketing department I'd wager.

#37 Edited by John1912 (1857 posts) -

Yea, WTF, that is straight up GlaDOS. You would think they would try to make her sound a little different.

*Edit This also looks like the biggest budget movie on complete nonsense Ive ever seen. Hopefully it will end up being cool.

#38 Posted by yinstarrunner (1185 posts) -

This looks incredible.

#39 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

We need more giant monster movies. Absolutely not kidding. Cloverfield was a nice experiment, but ultimately a problematic one.

I am so fucking stoked for this. Becaues it's not a superhero movie, it's not a sequel, it's not a remake. It's not high art, either, but it's willing to dip lovingly into a genre of film that hasn't been adequately massaged in decades.

Fuck. Yes.

#40 Posted by Zacagawea (1589 posts) -

Godzilla movie I've always wanted.

#41 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

Isn't Legendary also putting out Godzilla? Hopefully this is a good indicator of what's to come of that.

Yup! And the first footage this year at E3 received a standing ovation. Apparently it's dark as fuck.

Which is 100% the way Godzilla needs to be.

#42 Posted by MiniPato (2731 posts) -

@themangalist said:

@Lydian_Sel said:

Exactly. Takes me out of the fun immediately. I just wish there was a Portal movie.

Well he sure as hell isn't going to hire her for her name alone.

#43 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Del Toro must be a Portal fan. Also this looks great in a dumb way. Also will GlaDOs end up controlling the robots and turning them on humanity, if so....CALLED IT!

#44 Posted by Demoskinos (14758 posts) -

MEH. Yay big mechs vs monsters. I haven't ever seen this before oh wait..I have.

#45 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

It's no Evangelion.

#46 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3795 posts) -

Awesome. This is begging for a video game adaptation.

#47 Posted by M_33 (527 posts) -

I really hope this marks the return of the big-ass monsters fucking shit up genre. I am so stoked for this.

#48 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

MEH. Yay big mechs vs monsters. I haven't ever seen this before oh wait..I have.

Well soooorrry crusty pants. Maybe you should change those crusty pants.

Outside of anime and Japan this isn't exactly standard. Unless there's some big budget Hollywood Mech vs Monster genre I've been completely unaware of for the past while.

#49 Posted by Demoskinos (14758 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy: Mechs just never do anything for me in anime or otherwise.

#50 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Hmmm. Well. I guess. I still say you should change those crusty pants. That can't be sanitary.