Panasonic release BluRay recorder, whos excited? I am.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

I don't know if this has been posted before, or if this is the first bluray recorder, either way...

Panasonic have release a BluRay recorder, and personally, this is when I become interested in a tech, when it gets down the the level the consumer can start using it for his or her own storage. Until now i've not cared a single iota about bluray, especially the fanboy bullshit aspects of it and how much 'better' it is for gaming. Who cares? I'll just swap discs please, production costs are hella cheaper for 3 or 4 DVD's versus a single bluray, and most blurays arent 50gb anyway, they are 48 and thats only dual layered, most games are but out on single layered 24gb discs.

Anyway, so yeah, now that the price is coming down, i'm hoping that in a year or three, I will be able to pick up a back of 5 bluray discs to store my work on instead of a pack of 25 DVDs. :) Also, when the recorders drop in price and I finally get an HDTV, i'll be able to record more game footage, I have a DVD recorder I used to do that with but with my crappy TV setup, it looks awful and the encoding isn't great so it's a slog getting it onto the computer, but you get what you pay for! :D

So who else is excited to see the tech coming down in price and being presented to the consumer in this manner? I sure am.

Link: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/News/Latest+news/Panasonic+introduce+three+HD+Recorders+with+freesat%2B/2246024/index.html

Edit: Although obviously being new, they are insanely expensive! But that'll come down eventually, here's hoping sooner rather than later.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yea, been seeing the ads here in the UK for the past week or so.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Linkyshinks:

I just saw one now while eating breakfast lol, havn't had a television on for like a month now lol, the one in my room wont pickup channel properly and the downstairs one is occupado almost 24/7
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

I am also only interested in Blu-ray when they are comparable to current DVD recorders.  I only owned one cheap DVD player until 2 years ago when I got one with a hard drive and disc burner.  DVD discs are really cheap and satisfy me.  When a reasonable priced machine arrives and discs are not horribly expensive, I will join in.  I expect that to be 4 years away at least.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain
@oldschool said:
"I am also only interested in Blu-ray when they are comparable to current DVD recorders.  I only owned one cheap DVD player until 2 years ago when I got one with a hard drive and disc burner.  DVD discs are really cheap and satisfy me.  When a reasonable priced machine arrives and discs are not horribly expensive, I will join in.  I expect that to be 4 years away at least. "

Yeah that's the time i'm excited for, i'm hoping it arrives sooner than 4 years, but you're probably right. For now DVDs are insanely cheap and I have stacks of them sitting around un-burned. As I usually only use them for burning uni work backups they will probably last until such a time lol.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

Just been checking it all out... it seems obvious to me your much better off waiting on the second generation of these recorders, in the same way you were with the players. Also, I think it's likely, Sony's first wave products will be superior. I say that with no disrespect to Panasonic. 

I know I certainly do need one, whether it be on PC or in this standalone form. I have severe storage issues as far as HD films are concerned, and my PC drives pay a heavy prices. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By oldschool
@The_A_Drain said:
" @oldschool said:
"I am also only interested in Blu-ray when they are comparable to current DVD recorders.  I only owned one cheap DVD player until 2 years ago when I got one with a hard drive and disc burner.  DVD discs are really cheap and satisfy me.  When a reasonable priced machine arrives and discs are not horribly expensive, I will join in.  I expect that to be 4 years away at least. "
Yeah that's the time i'm excited for, i'm hoping it arrives sooner than 4 years, but you're probably right. For now DVDs are insanely cheap and I have stacks of them sitting around un-burned. As I usually only use them for burning uni work backups they will probably last until such a time lol. "
When a blu-ray disc is more than $20 and a DVD is only 30 cents (local prices), then I am in no hurry to chamge.
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fr0br0

When the hell did they release a DVD recorder!? (Kidding, but I never used one)

The idea of a Blu-Ray recorder makes me wet my pants. But the thought of what that will cost makes me shit my pants.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Linkyshinks:

I totally agree :) And fully intend to wait :)

I'm still excited nonetheless, progression is progression afterall and without the expensive stage we cant have the awesome cheap stage later on :D

BluRay as a tech is already out of date anyway lol, it has been for something like 2 years now, theres a pink disc that stores data in 3D and allows for upwards of 500 GB of storage per disc. But we won't be seeing that at a consumer level for many many years to come it's still experimental. Can't wait for that :D
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ahriman22

AT some point they'll be able to store 1TB. I don't burn much anyways (Yay for multiple HDDs), so I doubt I'll be getting it.