.....................................Procrastination

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Sanryd

I have been a procrastinator for as long as I can remember. It's 11 o'clock now and I still have a project due, test to study for, and other misc things to get done. School starts at 6 am and this isn't a rare situation for me to be in. This basically happens every night and I think it's really starting to affect me because of the amount of sleep I get every night. On top of the crap I have to do every night at midnight, the bombcast keeps me awake for another ~45 minutes after I might or might not finish all my work, while I try to fall asleep. It seems crazy to me that I can't even have enough self-control to do what needs to be done right when I get home. The worst part is, even when I sit down to do what needs to be done, I get distracted by anything and everything around me (such as these forums lol) so instead of having time divided into first doing work and then not worrying about it while I go do whatever I want to do, it's all chopped up; not committed to work, yet I can't start doing anything I want to do. Help me! Any suggestions? I think I'm slowly going insane!

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By conker

I have a problem very similar to yours lol, and basically, you need to find a way to just NOT have an internet connection. AT ALL. It hurts, but ir works, trust me.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Procrastinators Unite! 

TODAY!

Tomorrow! 

Some other time perhaps...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

Hey, me too.  Dammit, we're hurting each other here.
fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fishmicmuffin

I was the same way in high school. College whipped me into shape though. If you have tried to stop putting everything off in the past to no avail, then you just have to hope something opens your eyes! That thing was college for me, it might be something else for you.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sanryd
@fishmicmuffin said:
" I was the same way in high school. College whipped me into shape though. If you have tried to stop putting everything off in the past to no avail, then you just have to hope something opens your eyes! That thing was college for me, it might be something else for you. "
Damn, college is too far away at the moment to fix this now. I was hoping someone had come up with some magical golden rule that fixes procrastination. I guess no one has though, I'm sure they mean to eventually...
Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Conker said:
" I have a problem very similar to yours lol, and basically, you need to find a way to just NOT have an internet connection. AT ALL. It hurts, but ir works, trust me. "
Yeah pretty much thats the only way around it, Giantbomb, Facebook, Youtube, are all great ways to procrastinate.  So all I can say is walk away from the computer, I know its hard but it must be done, unless you need the comp for the project, then you just have to focus on what must be done, because if you don't do it the results would be bad.  However, you could just say Giantbomb ate your homework and see what happens.
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fbomb

It's just habit and self-belief. The future you, which you see doing whatever work that needs to be done, is still the you of the present that doesn't want to do your work. If you can create a habit of doing work early, you'll be more inclined to continue, whereas, if you create habit of procrastination, you'll continue to procrastinate. Good habits are difficult to form, and that's where becoming mentally strong comes from. You have to keep telling yourself why you are doing your work or studying, whenever you want to put it off, because if you allow yourself to take the easy way out, you're letting yourself be weak. Either you're weak, or you're not. Success is dependant on 10% talent, and 90% hardwork. So, you can either be unsuccessful and weak, or successful and strong. Which traits do you admire more? Time to become mentally tough.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By RobotHamster

Hey me too, lets make a club, I'll bring snacks!

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bubahula

i am trying to write an essay right now.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I've got about a million exams to study for (or 2 this week), a presentation I need to finalize and memorize for tomorrow, projects I need to complete and a whole novel I've yet to start that I need to finish for next Monday... and I'm typing this instead.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I must admit sometimes I can procrastinate quite a lot when I really want to but overall I don't seem to be quite as much a victim of procrastination as the people around me. On my university course everyone seems to leave everything to the absolute last minute. Damn you procrastination!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@RobotHamster said:
"Hey me too, lets make a club, I'll bring snacks! "

Its thirty minutes away, I'll be there in ten. 
When I get around to it.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By demontium

I usually study about 10 mins before i take a test, and am a straight A student.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Warfare

I'll post now and read the topic later.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Semition

*sigh* tomorrow never comes.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@demontium said:
" I usually study about 10 mins before i take a test, and am a straight A student. "
Your educational institution/teachers/school must be retarded then.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By demontium
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @demontium said:
" I usually study about 10 mins before i take a test, and am a straight A student. "
Your educational institution/teachers/school must be retarded then. "
Also, the Great Gatsby is an easy book (and it sucks, its like a fucking soap opera, melodramatic waste of time- I do not understand why it is so critically acclaimed). 

Yeah my teachers are fucking dumb- they let people ask other people for help during tests.
izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By izzygraze
@tdk08 said:
" @fishmicmuffin said:
" I was the same way in high school. College whipped me into shape though. If you have tried to stop putting everything off in the past to no avail, then you just have to hope something opens your eyes! That thing was college for me, it might be something else for you. "
Damn, college is too far away at the moment to fix this now. I was hoping someone had come up with some magical golden rule that fixes procrastination. I guess no one has though, I'm sure they mean to eventually... "
I found associated a genre of music to your studies helps. I have this classical radio station with piano music and I only listen to that when I'm doing homework. Also, if you can stomach it, start doing homework at a library. There are zero distractions and it often helps most people.
twhalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By twhalen

I was not very diligent in middle school, and my first two years of high school I was still not that hardworking. Why? Why did I hardly ever do good work? Because I wasn't inspired to. I knew I could cram or rush something at the last minute and still make decent grades. Then, in 11th grade, I started taking AP courses, as most do, and, as most do, found out that I could not blow those off. I read some pretty sizable novels in my 11th grade AP English class and, because I knew there was no way to blow it off and still make decent grades, forced myself to read them on a timely basis. 12th grade was pretty easy, so once again I started blowing off work due to lack of inspiration.
Then last fall, my first semester of college, I really ramped up my work ethic as I discovered, going to a hardcore liberal arts school, that procrastinating would bury me alive before I knew what hit me. So I committed every waking moment Sunday through Thursday to homework (well, except eating times). That habit continues (for the most part) this semester (of course I'm not doing homework as I type this, so I allow myself some free time, unlike last fall). 
The point is, the best things to get you into gear are: a bad grade, or dread that unless you get kicking you will make a very bad grade; and realizing the satisfaction that will come with good work ethic. You will not feel you are slowly going insane if every night you put away the books knowing you got a lot done. I was able to fully enjoy the weekends last semester because I worked so hard during the week. You'll find that school, even when you get to college, is easy if you practice good tme management.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By AURON570

Do you have a computer in your workspace? If yes, move it away, it's a trap. Manage that time. Whenever you're playing games or surfing the internet, you could be working! Food and exercise (being healthy) is important, do some pushups, jumping jacks, drink some juice, eat a bagel. Tell yourself you can do it! Don't say negative things like "I hope I don't fail that test" or "I have to avoid screwing up this____" say "I'm going to study and do well on that test."

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@twhalen: Hm, at least some good advice came from this thread.  I'll try to apply some of it to my tendencies.  Thing is... I say that but I know I'll probably kick the idea out of my head soon enough and sit on my ass playing video games instead of working all over again.  Ugh, I think it's lack of motivation in my case.  Seems I've been in school forever and I don't know if doing good work or doing bad work will change anything at all.
teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By teptom

I don't think I have ever done homework or anything else school related early. Always the last minute for me. 

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Real heroes don't procrastinate.

Shifty_Mcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shifty_Mcfly

Word, I just wrapped up 12 pages of essay for my philosophy class in 3 days. Had a month to do it, but eh...

Punkyblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Punkyblue

Maybe you could try doing homework while watching TV, that's what I did in high-school. Now I usually listen to podcasts while doing homework since I didn't want to pay for cable while at university. It's better for repetitive homework where you just apply a formula and plug in values, whereas for essays and studying, you pretty much need some quiet time. But it's a skill I'm really glad I picked up; if I needed complete isolation to finish my assignments, I bet around 75% of my out-of-class day would be filled with silence.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Xeiphyer
@tdk08: Procrastination is like masturbation. It feels good until you realize you just fucked yourself.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Punkyblue: I really wish I could have that type of passive listening (to podcasts).  I try to listen to podcasts, for example, while trying to do my math homework, but I end up being way slower to do the homework because I keep on concentrating on what the dudes are saying.  Same with reading a book in a public place where veryone is talking or something: I can't keep my mind on the book and I have to be aware of my surroundings.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoOneFive
@eroticfishcake said:
" Procrastinators Unite! 

TODAY!

Tomorrow!   Some other time perhaps... "
yeah im gonna write that done somewhere. when i find my pen. and a note pad. ill get it later. 
hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hai2u

the internet has ruined the study habits of a generation, myself included :(.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Kyreo
@tdk08 said:
" @fishmicmuffin said:
Damn, college is too far away at the moment to fix this now. I was hoping someone had come up with some magical golden rule that fixes procrastination. I guess no one has though, I'm sure they mean to eventually... "
DONT THINK THAT!!!  Im taking courses now and my procrastinating ways are screwing me over...
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Black_Raven

I'm exactly the same, it's the fucking internets fault!

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RetroIce4

I better start my homework soon to. 12:09AM now.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jadeskye

I was gonna type something interesting but i can't be asked. Bed time!

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By captain_clayman
@tdk08 said:
" I have been a procrastinator for as long as I can remember. It's 11 o'clock now and I still have a project due, test to study for, and other misc things to get done. School starts at 6 am and this isn't a rare situation for me to be in. This basically happens every night and I think it's really starting to affect me because of the amount of sleep I get every night. On top of the crap I have to do every night at midnight, the bombcast keeps me awake for another ~45 minutes after I might or might not finish all my work, while I try to fall asleep. It seems crazy to me that I can't even have enough self-control to do what needs to be done right when I get home. The worst part is, even when I sit down to do what needs to be done, I get distracted by anything and everything around me (such as these forums lol) so instead of having time divided into first doing work and then not worrying about it while I go do whatever I want to do, it's all chopped up; not committed to work, yet I can't start doing anything I want to do. Help me! Any suggestions? I think I'm slowly going insane! "
dude. 
this is the story of my life.  this is every single day for me dude.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ryax

there is alot of writing in here. ill read the rest later

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've procrastinated all my life, yet I still get mostly A's.  I've waited till the last 5 hours before a 1250 word paper is due (online class) several times and got it done with a good grade. 

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Chuggsy
@demontium said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" @demontium said:
Your educational institution/teachers/school must be retarded then. "
Also, the Great Gatsby is an easy book (and it sucks, its like a fucking soap opera, melodramatic waste of time- I do not understand why it is so critically acclaimed).  Yeah my teachers are fucking dumb- they let people ask other people for help during tests. "
You probably would have enjoyed it more if you didn't have to read it for school. They also ruin a good book by making you review every chapter after you read it. 

We read The Hobbit in 9th(?) grade. The Hobbit is my favorite book of all time, my dad read it to me as a kid. But reading it in class made it so much less magical and enjoyable. Analyzing the characters and  journey, writing reviews on each chapter. It sucked! Didn't ruin the book in any way for me personally, but I felt bad for kids that read it for the first in the class, now they'll have a bad impression of it for a while.

Anyway, give The Great Gatsby another chance before you form a solid opinion for the rest of your life that it's a terrible book, because it's really not.

That post was a lot longer than I originally intended.
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had this problem for the past 10 - 15 years, i try to procrastinate on worthwhile things like drawing as i have an extreme aversion to doing anything urgent  

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#41  Edited By citizenkane

I'll procrastinate sooner or later....

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Even without an internet I find a way to procrastinate. I ended up fixing my kitchen walls rather than writing my essays which were due.

Got them done in the end....ish.

Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sh4ft3d

My wake up call was almost failing out of college first semester. High school is a joke, you can get through it doing almost nothing (and I did). The fact is, however, at some point there will come a time when half-assing isn't good enough. And the consequences will not be fun. Do it even when you hate it. Push past the lack of motivation. I still don't have motivation, but I get stuff done even if it means pulling two all-nighters in one week. School sucks, but if you have a reason for doing it, something meaningful that you're aiming for, it doesn't matter that you don't care about schoolwork by itself. 

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hitchenson
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@eroticfishcake said:
" Procrastinators Unite! 

TODAY!

Tomorrow!   Some other time perhaps... "
<3
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Still haven't figured out how not to procrastinate. However I do set things up I have to do, so there wouldn't be anymore steps to do it. Like if I want to draw a picture, I get all references read, pencil, paper and it's easy to jump right in when i'm motivated at another time. If I have to do all these steps, I tend to get bored and my brain shuts down. Not sure if that will help, however at least having deadlines sort of helps.