Rate the last movie you watched.

tinmanc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Last movie I watched was expendables 3.

It was a better movie than I thought it would be.

The action was great and the story was simple.

I give it 9 Action Heroes out of 10.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Big Hero 6: 4/5

The first and last thirty minutes were fantastic. The stuff in between... eh, I don't know. The action was cool but I couldn't really appreciate it for some reason. I guess I just liked the sweet stuff a lot more.

The visual were fucking incredible though.

I feel you, I quite liked the interaction of the protagonist and the goofy fat robot, something about it felt very genuine but it later turned very boring with just everyone becoming a super hero and just doing regular super hero things. I feel like this movie would have been 10 times better if the friend circle never showed up and the kid was not some big prodigy, something about a regular kid being stuck with this robot and trying to continue his brother's work would have been much cooler/deeper(could still have action but not as flashy). Or at least if they were going to go the way they did, it should have been an hour longer so that you could properly develop the characters.

So 3.5/5 for me mostly because the first half hour had me immersed in a rare sort of way.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Chappie
After Elysium was such a disappointment, I was pretty skeptical about Chappie. It is, however, pretty good. Not great, not even close to the masterwork that is District 9, but a much more competent and engaging film than Elysium was. I really didn't like that Die Antwoord ended up being the main characters...didn't expect that at all, really. But I guess I warmed up to them over the course of the movie. Their "music" is still unlistenable dogshit, though. Sigourney Weaver felt totally wasted, but Hugh Jackman got a fair amount of screen time and ended up being a fun villain. Sharlto Copely as the titular robot was definitely the highlight. I loved Chappie as a character, and there are good amount of funny/dramatic scenes involving him.

Neill Blomkamp needs to explore new territory though. I think this is the last he can wring out of the Johannesburg setting, at least for now. I'm eagerly anticipating his shot at the Alien franchise, as that will fully prove whether his talent is merely special effects and world design, or if he can really compose classic stories at the same time. I give Chappie a 4/5.

Run All Night

It's yet another Liam Neeson action film in an increasingly long line of Liam Neeson action films since the original Taken. It's been a joke for awhile now, and even though I love Liam Neeson, I've made my fair share of jokes at his expense because c'mon...it's getting pretty ridiculous.

Run All Night, though, is by far his best action movie since Taken. Actually, apart from The Grey, this is probably the best movie he's done years. Looking at the rest of his films of this ilk does it a disservice. While it doesn't tread any sort of new ground, it is an exceedingly well-made film from top to bottom. Great performances from the entire cast and well-shot with some really intense and intimate action scenes. Common plays an especially badass Terminator-like assassin, which I did not see coming. If you're tired of Liam Neeson actions movies, give this one a go anyway. It's a good one. 5/5

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Doomsday - 2/5

Goddamnit Vinny. This is a bad movie, but it's inspired. It just fucking goes for it with reckless abandon. It doesn't wait for plot or character development or drama, it does what it wants, when it wants. Schlocky sci-fi action movie one second, ska-Mad Max the next, then inexplicably we're taken to medieval times dinner and theatre. Lord almighty.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2105  Edited By poobumbutt

Chappie.

Terrible characterization.

No screen time for "main" human character.

Lack of understanding of what makes characters likable.

Squanders chance for a He-Man "I have the power!" line which would've actually worked.

Absolutely loves to hear itself talk.

One redeemable character who's really likable.

One moment of "so bad it's funny", rest is about as interesting as cat vomit.

I give it 4 daisy-chained Playstation 4s out of 10.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@gamefreak9 said:

@turtlebird95 said:

Big Hero 6: 4/5

The first and last thirty minutes were fantastic. The stuff in between... eh, I don't know. The action was cool but I couldn't really appreciate it for some reason. I guess I just liked the sweet stuff a lot more.

The visual were fucking incredible though.

I feel you, I quite liked the interaction of the protagonist and the goofy fat robot, something about it felt very genuine but it later turned very boring with just everyone becoming a super hero and just doing regular super hero things. I feel like this movie would have been 10 times better if the friend circle never showed up and the kid was not some big prodigy, something about a regular kid being stuck with this robot and trying to continue his brother's work would have been much cooler/deeper(could still have action but not as flashy). Or at least if they were going to go the way they did, it should have been an hour longer so that you could properly develop the characters.

So 3.5/5 for me mostly because the first half hour had me immersed in a rare sort of way.

Yeah, a deeper and more personal story I think would have fit the film a lot better, though I suppose they wanted to get kids to really like it and it is technically based on a Marvel comic series.

I was okay with the friend characters but they really didn't give whole lot of character development to them or any reason to really care about them at all. Seriously, I just fucking watched the movie and I had to Google their names because I forgot. It made the ending where they all decided to become superheroes that protect the city or whatever feel really meaningless.

Eh, I think I'm changing my score to a 3.5 as well. I can't say I'm going to rush into theaters whenever Disney releases a sequel or anything but I had fun watching this one.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It Follows - If you like suspenseful horror in any way at all, you need to see this film. A fantastically original concept executed expertly with possibly the coolest soundtrack that I've heard in a film for a long, long time. It might not be as tense or scary as The Babadook, but this is a fantastic little horror film. 5/5

Kingman: Secret Service - Funnily enough, this love letter to old Bond movies from the creative team behind Kick Ass is exactly what you'd think it would be. Funny, silly and with some nicely choreographed hyper-violence, it's definately not perfect, but it sure is a hoot. 4/5

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2108 sweep  Moderator

@zella said:

Kingmen: Secret Service: 8/10

the CGI was pretty rough at some points.

Which points?

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingsmen ... Fun movie if you don't overthink it. I really liked Jackson as the villain.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2110  Edited By Sinusoidal

I recently felt the need to re-watch all the Resident Evil films:

1 - A genuine classic B action movie. Delightfully hamfisted dialog, cheesy CGI, titillation and gore. 4/5 laser grids.

2 - A more ambitious, yet ultimately less satisfying follow-up. The success of the first movie went to their heads. Despite some decent new additions to the cast, the overblown set pieces and super-heroifying of Jovovich here ultimately fall flat. 2/5 S.T.A.R.S.

3 - Here the series kind of goes full retard, but at least mostly in a good way. It's the post apocalypse where the intro suggests the entire world has been turned into a desert. Then they spend the entire movie in Nevada anyway, so... ?? They toned down the overblown boring-ness of 2, but didn't quite capture the magic of 1. More good characters are introduced. Best ending in the series. 3/5 randomly murderous crows.

4 - Which leads into the best opening in the series. After the awesome and brief introduction that loosely ties 3 to 4 (and obliterates any notion of the desertification of the world as we watch Jovovich fly a biplane for days on end without sleep or re-fueling over vast, sweeping Pacific northwest forests) this one watches almost like another remake of Dawn of the Dead only in a prison instead of a mall. At least until the blistering final act when they are inevitably forced to flee and things go completely insane. The cast is also really starting to come together by this point. And for once the black guy doesn't die horribly. 4/5 bisected stereotypical east Asian dudes.

5 - Meh. They dropped the ball with this one. It feels like they wanted to remake 1 with the underground laboratory setting and re-introduction of more than a few characters from past movies, yet they failed miserably. It's not without its moments though: there's more here for fans of the video games than ever before including the introduction of Leon, Ada and the Los Plagas parasite and the straight-up re-enactment of quite a few scenes from the games (RE4 in particular.) They also re-introduce a few old characters from the earlier movies, and monsters. The whole thing is one big lump of pandering fanservice. Too bad whoever the nobodies who play Leon and Ada are can't act their way out of a wet paper bag. Some of the supporting cast is stronger than the leads (except for Jovovich who is on point as per usual. And Kevin Durand. I love every role he does. I don't know why. This one is no exception.) That said, this one is top heavy with boring gunfights, and Wesker was far more interesting as the villain than the boring and cheesy red queen who narrates the bad stuff she is going to do to our heroes between scenes. *eyeroll* 2/5 inexplicably capable WWII zombies.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fast & Furious 6. Its dumb, its crazy, its fun as hell and very enjoyable. 4 stars.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I watched some indie film with Dakota Fanning growed up a bit. It was exactly what you'd expect from an indie film about girls being girls and growing up. It even had a twinkly Jenny Lewis soundtrack. If you've ever seen an indie film before, you've seen this shit countless times... and better

Top Gun/ Ten

Wait, what? Oh, I immediately watched Top Gun after it and it pretty much erased most of my memories of the indie film. Top Gun is incredibly entertaining though... incredibly, incredibly entertaining. I just wanted to post that I'd rewatched Top Gun again... and you should too.

ogto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

demolition man. i gave it 8/10 on imdb but it is a timeless classic, GB was right. it's more closer to galaxy quest and idiocracy than you would think.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Birdman.

It's really good, you should go watch it.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aliens (theatrical cut)

8/10

A lot better than the director's cut, whose repeated viewings made me think less of the movie.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snowpiercer.

7/10. Lost a point for being over hyped before I watched it.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Dawn of the Dead (1978) - I never saw it before, it was pretty good. It did kind of drag but overall I liked it. 7/10.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legends of the Knight documentary. 10/10

OMG....so much feels.

Loading Video...

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess a few months ago I watched Full Metal Jacket and Platoon and Apocalypse Now over the space of a week.

Full Metal Jacket is a very weird movie without a real narrative but what is there is really well directed. More a series of very watchable situations.

Platoon I didn't dig as much as I was hoping. I get that it was important for showing the terrible physical and mental conditions of jungle warfare but I didn't find myself overly interested in what happened.

I found Apocalypse Now incredible and mesmerising. I really want to see it in a cinema now. I don't know, it just sucked me in.

I don't really have a great vocabulary for talking about films, can anyone recommend a book or resource for getting better and talking about film?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2122  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Foxcatcher - Hmmmmm, I found this movie rather...cold? Distant, maybe? The three main performances: Ruffalo, Tatum, and Carrell were all fucking outstanding (though, personally, I think Ruffalo was the best), but the whole thing is just kinda slow and I although I understood what was happening, I never really felt enthralled per se. Good movie, but...like...if you never watched it, I'd be hard pressed to say you're missing out on anything. 3/5

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whiplash - YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, WHY IS THIS MOVIE SO GODDAMN GOOD? 1000000000/5

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speed 2

1 Star for plot

5.5 stars out of 5 for hilarious, dumb, and what were they thinking action.

omatictoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 5th Element - 5th/5th

I've watch the 5th element close to 30 time, and every time it feels fresh.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inherent Vice. 10.2143 out of Twelvety

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@cbyrne: The funniest thing about Speed 2 is that is moves so fucking slowly. It takes ages before anything actually happens in that movie.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interstellar. 3/5. Prime example of concept over execution.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Fast Five: 7 out of 8 cylinders. Could have used a little bit more Rock.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2130  Edited By nightriff

The Brothers Grimm - 3/5

• Most damning thing I can say about it is its about 20-30 minutes to long. The ending just kinda keeps going and I totally remember this complaint when I originally saw it in 06 when we rented it as a family. Other than that it is just a fun movie for the most part. Special effects have aged horribly (maybe they weren't very good in the first place). Movie isn't bad nor is it amazing. Wouldn't recommend though, take that as you will.

Robocop (2014) - 4/5

• Movie is totally ok, watched it first so I had that going for it I guess. Only thing I would say I didn't like was the robot/human head look, it just looks goofy and my understanding is the original also has this issue. Another thing I hated was the waaaaaay over the top Samuel L Jackson, I know some people enjoyed that but I thought it was incredibly annoying and either the role should've been someone else or cut entirely. Other than that it was just a good, fun action movie. Totally ok and better than expected.

Robocop - 5/5

• Made the mistake of watching this while playing Cities: Skylines so I feel like I owe the movie another viewing but I really enjoyed the film as a whole. As I said, I was kinda paying half attention but what I saw, which was most of it, I really liked it.
Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2131  Edited By Junkboy

Just finished Honeymoon off of Netflix and I have to say I actually loved it. A solid 9/10 with a great mix of suspense but defiantly not for folks who wish the story to be force fed.

Drags a bit at the start but as they're on their Honeymoon the tons of PDA is understandable. That second half really picks up while still not telling you much, but towards the end it comes together in subtle ways.

I wish Rose Leslie would've been allowed to use her own accent because at times she got a little rough but I don't fault the film for that. Probably enjoyed it almost as much Under the Skin.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2132  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Insidious Chapter 2.

Had to watch this shit in my film studies class. Goddamn, what a terrible movie. The first film had its moments in the first act, but quickly delved into absurdity and silliness that did the movie no favors. The second movie largely continues that trend while completely rehashing the formula rather than trying to expand on it. The problem is that these movies take themselves way too seriously for what's happening. Nearly all of the "scares" are excruciatingly corny and unintentionally funny, especially when they actually show any of the ghosts. James Wan's constant use of stingers and people looking wide-eyed off camera is about as obnoxious as it gets, and it telegraphs everything that happens beforehand. His cinematography and shot choices are the saving grace of these films. They look do look nice and have a decent atmosphere. Beyond that, I honestly don't understand how anyone can consider these as acceptable horror films. 2/5

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interstellar - 5/5

I was weeping in awe at the end of this movie. There were a few plot holes, as there will always be in movies like this, but I was riveted for the entire movie. The acting was superb, the visual effects were astounding, and the story was very plausible and engaging. I'll be buying the Blu-Ray when it comes out.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2134  Edited By whitegreyblack

Interstellar 8/10

I liked it very much. Did not have the problems with the ending that a lot of other people did. It apes 2001 just enough to keep me interested in how much it apes, without being upset at the amount it apes (does that make sense?). The 3 hours went by rather effortlessly. Good acting from all those involved. The "twist/revelation" is easy to spot from miles away but it was still a really nice time to spend with a movie.

I went into the movie completely blind - never watched any trailers or coverage. That always improves my experience by removing most of my preconceptions / expectations.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2135  Edited By hollitz

Foxcatcher 4/5

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2136  Edited By CaLe

Interstellar - 14/20. My expecterationings were too high for it to even compete on an even footing. DOORSTEP.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2137  Edited By wmoyer83

Escape From LA.

Really good, dumb, fun movie.

Also you can see how it blatantly inspired Metal Gear Solid.

5/5

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished Man of Steel a couple of hours ago.

Even as someone who isn't that much of a Superman fan it just annoyed me what they did with the character and the universe. I'm more worried than ever about Batman V Superman now because I can't imagine Batman in this dumb universe of CGI snakes that explode like holy hand grenades.

Snyder's stupid conceit of jumping to flashbacks in no chronological order just to shove character feelings and motivations down your throat to coincide with what ever was going on in the present bugged me to no end. I've never seen a Transformers movie but I imagine the OTT action sequences in this film (entire city blocks exploding and collapsing, civilians blatantly being murdered by said explosions without a moments thought) would give Michael Bay a run for his money. I haven't sat and watched a movie with so much going on yet still managed to be so so bored in a long time.

The only saving grace are the Jonathan/Clark moments (even though they're used to beat you over the head with the movies "themes") and the inherit coolness of seeing Superman looking all hot and badass on screen.

2/5

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whiplash - Holy shit this movie is great, everyone should see it - 6/5

Big Hero 6 - This one is good too, I cried - 5/5

Birdman - I liked how it was almost all one take but I don't see how it won best picture - 4/5

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looper. I gave it a 9 on IMDB. Great plot, pretty deep and really good acting across the board.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MacGruber. 5/5

That movie fucking rules.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Tromeo and Juliet - Trashy and manages to fit into that "bad in a good way" category, also features Lemmy. 4/5

MacGruber - Good idea but really lacks on execution. 2/5

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Netflix is a thing that exists here now, so I watched the first 2 Paranormal Activities.

Paranormal Actvity: 5/5

Paranormal Activity 2: 4/5

It made me realise how much I miss Patrick and Spookin'.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

American Sniper - 2/5

It was a pretty good watch, but whenever a movie makes me decide to never see it again while I'm still watching it for the first time, you messed up too much. The flash back showing how the two brothers grew up and were taught by their father about protecting people was the dumbest, most surreal thing I've seen all year. It blasted me out of the movie, picturing the director instructing the kid to remain emotionless while he nods his head, because of some misconceived idea of that being bad-ass. Coupled with the americanized style of the movie and nasty title endscene trying to get you emotional about it, I'd say it wasn't that great of a movie. I enjoyed watching it, but I won't ever see it again under any circumstances.

Need for Speed - 4/5

Guess what, it's the best movie of a game I've ever seen. Yeah, it's B-movie and yeah, it has a simple plot. But the astounding thing is that it takes itself seriously, and still works. It's tough to explain why this movie is so good, because nothing about it is unique or surprising. I guess the only surprising thing about it, is how good it manages to be without any surprises. No doubt the movie sort of hang on the feet of Aaron Paul's great acting, but it works.

Sex Drive - 3/5

Pretty good, I don't know. I had fun watching it. Nothing special here, but I was in the mood for one of these, and it was one of these, and it worked. It was entertaining throughout and it had a couple of really funny scenes to top that off.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: I liked the second one more than the first but it's cool to see someone who likes them at all.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@apparatus_unearth: Well, I have a real thing for minimalism in movies. The first was (almost) just two characters. It was also a lot more novel, given that it was the first. The second definitely got scarier towards the end though. Oh, and it was clever how they tied the movies together.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Wick. This movie helped me ease into the increased amount of gunplay in Hotline Miami 2 a bit better. Oh and it was also a pretty good action flick.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been trying to catch up on Mad Max before the new one comes out, so I've finally watched the first two.

Mad Max - The majority of this movie was basically Smokey and the Bandit Australia, with a cheesy, drawn-out, predictable setup for a revenge story. That's not to say it was without merit, as some of the direction/action was good stuff, especially considering the budget. I get why it's a cult classic. Still, it was often ridiculous. I give it 3 Toecutter hisses/5.

The Road Warrior - This was an improvement, because it was all the Max madness without the lame buildup. Where this movie won me over was when the boomerang scythe made an appearance, and then ended up stuck in someone's face. Also, I enjoyed when they appeared to be setting up a new love interest for Max, and then she was fucking dead minutes later. That made up for some Mad Max cheesiness. 4 feral kids/5.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2149  Edited By reverendk

Killing Them Softly- .02/5 stars.

It's 97 minutes but it feels like they plotted out a story arc designed for a 24ish minute TV show. There is little in the way of characterization for anybody and the constant overlaying of audio of speeches from Bush and Obama make it feel like the writer was too busy trying really hard to be topical to actually write anything. The final "America is a business" rant that Brad Pitt's character gives about the speech Obama is heard giving on a tv in the bar (for what feels like the hundredth time by this point in the movie) is so ham fisted that it destroys any kind of enjoyment you might have derived from the rest of the movie. The whole thing feels like someone watched Snatch and Fight Club and figured that if they got Brad Pitt involved, their movie would be just as popular as those movies.

Someone probably worked really hard on it, but it doesn't really show.

Prior to that I saw Chappie and Kingsman on sequential days.

Chappie - 3/5 stars

I appreciate that Blomkamp chose to almost exclusively use Die Antwoord songs for the soundtrack (including the verse from Beat Boy about crystalized period blood if memory serves) but it felt a lot like he was just chasing District 9 agian.. Hugh Jackman wearing shorts in an office setting with a flat dark earth glock 17 in a leather holster gets a 4.5/5. Hot pink milkor bxp gets a 9/5.

Kingsman- 2/5 bruvs

It's Saint's Row 3 for spy movies, but it drags in a couple of sections and by the end the gags are too predictable or just kind of lame. The whole church thing went on too long and reminded me way too much of God Bless America or Wanted in how edgy it was trying to be. I was into the montage near the end for the first 10 or so seconds but then it just went on and on and on and on and it made me really not like the movie at that point but I'm not sure why. I came away from it pretty disappointed because I really liked Layer Cake.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I watched The Book of Life a couple weekends ago.

One of my favorite movie review sites Double Toasted (it used to be Spill but 2 of the guys splintered off) has a scale that includes F**k You, Some 'Ol Bullshit, Rental, Matinee!, Full Price!, and Better Than Sex!

Based on that scale I'd give it a Matinee. The animation was gorgeous and the songs were fun takes on some contemporary stuff, but it got boring around half way through. Still pretty solid though. And Ice Cube is in it so there's that I guess.