Rosetta Stone and other languages.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seauton

Has anyone actually successfully learned another language using Rosetta Stone? I'd like to learn how to speak one or two foreign languages (I'm already OK in Spanish, but could use a refresher) and am trying to figure out the best way to learn them short of taking collegiate classes because I am well over my college days.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean the actual rosetta stone? iirc, wasn't that just greek, latin and ancient egyptian?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I started a RS but stopped. I need to continue it and see if it does indeed work.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4 chaser324  Moderator

I actually just started using the site duolingo a few days ago to help refresh my Spanish. I'm liking it so far, but I haven't been using it long enough to say how effective it really is in the long run.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

No but i used Final Fantasy IV to learn English when i was 12. It worked reasonably well.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@pr1mus said:

No but i used Final Fantasy IV to learn English when i was 12. It worked reasonably well.

I would object to this method. Video games rely far less on language than you'd initially think! And this is coming from somebody who made it halfway through Thracia 776 without a translation of any kind.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the language. If it's a language similar grammatically to your native language than it's okay, but something entirely different it's completely worthless.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Until high school there wasn't any mandatory English class. So during the summer between my last year of elementary school and first year of high school, armed with a copy of FFIV and a French-English dictionary, i learned enough to smoke everyone else in my class! I probably learned more with games than with actual classes. Of course this says more about the disastrous state of English classes 15 years ago in Quebec.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@pr1mus:

@krullban said:

Depends on the language. If it's a language similar grammatically to your native language than it's okay, but something entirely different it's completely worthless.

Yea, that makes my point well enough.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stonyman65

I know some military guys who have used that to lean new languages. I'm pretty sure that's one of the programs the US Government uses to teach linguistics That shit really works from everything I've heard..

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus:

@krullban said:

Yea, that makes my point well enough.

Oh i understand that. I was not suggesting to ignore actual learning tools and replace them with games.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Clonedzero

we should just all learn the same language and stop with this multiple language shit.

i vote for english cus its the only one i know and i did real bad in spanish class in highschool

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

You mean the actual rosetta stone? iirc, wasn't that just greek, latin and ancient egyptian?

Also, to correct you: if I remember correctly, it was Greek, Egyptian, and Egyptian rendered in Greek.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Dagbiker

Of verbal languages that would help me not die if air dropped into a forigen country, I know English, and Im only half good at that.

Of languages that I could use to program a robot to find its way back to me, if air droped into a forigen country.

I know:

C++, C, C#, Javascript, Action Script, LUA, JAVA, BASIC, CSS

Also im not to bad in illustrator ether.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@trafalgarlaw said:

Also, to correct you: if I remember correctly, it was Greek, Egyptian, and Egyptian rendered in Greek.

Actually it was Greek, Egyptian Hieroglyphs, and Demotic, an Egyptian written language (not using symbols like Hieroglyphs) that was mainly used to issue official decrees. It was a precursor to the Coptic language.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aurelito

If you already know a Romance language, you can learn them all. If you already know a Germanic language, you can learn them all. If you already know an Iranic language, you can learn them all. However, I find Rosetta Stone absolutely useless if you don't know any language except your own beforehand. Watching movies in the language you intend to learn helps a lot. There are also a lot of lectures you can find on Youtube that teach almost every major language on the internet.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're actually going to buy a copy, I wouldn't say it's worth it. It's really expensive, and you'll probably get more out of free online lessons, penpals/skyping, and a textbook/workbook or two.

BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These kinds of things rarely work as effective as you'd hope, at least to me. I think you're better off taking courses with actual human beings, reading different websites and watching TV in that language.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By wefwefasdf

I would recommend using Duolingo as a jumping off point. Take advantage of the free services before you gamble on Rosetta Stone!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

If you learned English through Final Fantasy IV then... man. It's a miracle your sentence made any sense at all.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By DriveupLife

@seauton:

I completed the entirety of Rosetta Stone Mandarin Level 1. Yes, it works if you stick with it.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@aurelito: I disagree. I only know how to speak English and tried to learn French through Rosetta Stone. I learned quite a lot from it. The thing about Rosetta stone is it takes quite some time to learn to actually have a normal conversation and it doesn't explain masculine vs feminine words. But it'll teach you how to say phrases correctly and for you to naturally learn what that phrase means. 2 lessons of Rosetta Stone I learned more than the 3 years of French I took in high school. Granted I was really lazy in high school, but still.