• 77 results
Hudlommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hudlommen

Hey. I wonder, since Ryan died there has been no talk about him (after the first days). Last unprofessional one of his old chars came up in the wresling game but no one said anything about it, i dont get it..

Of cause he is gone and you cant live in the past, but i still think the silence around him is weird given how big part of the site he was.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything has been said about Ryan Davis, and everyone still loves/misses him. It's not like we are ignoring or forgetting about him. Just let it be dude. Let it be.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What's not to get? Why would they want to bring it up by talking about it, essentially bringing down the vibe of the room? They said their pieces on the Ryan Davis tribute bombcast and it's better for them to not bring it up. It's better for everyone to not bring it up. Gone but not forgotten doesn't mean you have to say something about it when an opportunity to do so arises.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do they need to talk about him?

They all love him and miss him greatly, but that doesn't mean they need to talk about him all the time.

When someone close to you dies, do you spend a lot of your free time discussing them?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

They make funny videos for a living. Kind of a mood killer and hard to be funny when you are talking about a friend that died.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TruthTellah

@hudlommen: I imagine they're just trying to be professional about it. Maybe they don't think it would make their content more entertaining to occasionally bring up Ryan's passing. Or they just don't think it's appropriate.

Personally, I don't mind if they do bring it up, but really, that's for them to decide. It may be something deeply personal they don't think belongs on their shows. We may hear a lot of stories from their lives, but that doesn't mean we truly need to know everything. How they're coping with the loss of Ryan is ultimately their business regardless of how curious we may be about it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By breadfan

Ryan's passing is incredibly personal to those who actually knew him. That shit doesn't get any easier to talk about just because a few months have passed. It's really none of our business anyway.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

I saw his name there as well and smiled.
In the real world that's usually enough.

Would I like a parade for him to honor his name? (all kinds of fancy balloon versions of Ryan, Time Trotters Ryan, Ryan with little hat) sure.
Would I want one every time his name was seen or heard? no.

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Aounslaught

I just take that as no one's really ready to talk about it so openly yet. Grief is a very personal thing and everyone goes through it at their own pace. It might take time, or they might not get there at all and that's okay.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrfluke

@breadfan said:

Ryan's passing is incredibly personal to those who actually knew him. That shit doesn't get any easier to talk about just because a few months have passed. It's really none of our business anyway.

n saw his name there as well and smiled.

In the real world that's usually enough.

Would I like a parade for him to honor his name? (all kinds of fancy balloon versions of Ryan, Time Trotters Ryan, Ryan with little hat) sure.

Would I want one every time his name was seen or heard? no.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryan is mentioned every now and then. I don't think people are purposely avoiding it.

It's in your head; it's not weird.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Ryan's gone, but never forgotten. With that said, it's not really something I'd expect them to bring up in content focused on being funny and entertaining.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're not just going to randomly bring him up in conversations, do you know how much of a downer it would be for them if they just ended up saying "Hey remember our very dear friend who's no longer with us? We really miss him" I can't imagine that's an emotion that the crew wants to repeatedly bring up for themselves.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You putting on a show for people that want to laugh. The last thing you wanna bring up is "hey guys remember how our best friend died?"

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're looking too much into it, I've heard them mention him more than once after his passing.

Even if they *were* evading it, that's none of our damn business.

We all miss him. They obviously do too.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They mention him enough to show he's not forgotten at all. Just off the top of me head, a recent Load our Last Souls, Rorie talks about the time Ryan and Vinny sang Bust a Move together. Alex mentioned Ryan on a recent Scoops and the Wolf.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that the way they have been handling it is clearly the appropriate and professional way. I do hope that perhaps once a year or so they do a nice tribute for him. Just talk for an hour or so about his life.

I had my music on shuffle at work and an old bombcast came on with ryan doing his usual intro. I paused and skipped but I almost lost my shit right there at work.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Dagbiker

Look up the pax prime thing, Ryan got a standing ovation. Ironic considering he didn't even show up.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Have you had many people around you pass away? I'm fortunate enough to say I haven't, but I'd imagine you don't always bring it up. Vinny occasionally calls Rorie Ryan, and everyone chuckles lightly and moves on.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can find Ryan. I just came across him looking for the Girlfriend TNT.

It was an added treat seeing him start the show.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Man, it was really awkward in a recent video (I believe Load Our Last Souls 2 or 3) when Vinny started the show by calling Rorie "Ryan", I remember my head whipping towards the screen, haha. They all were able to laugh it off though.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23 FinalDasa  Moderator

It can't be easy to move on after losing such a close and wonderful friend. However they choose to mourn, public or not, is none of our concern really.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Feanor

Moving on is what normal people do.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hudlommen: I kinda get where you're coming from, and I guess I've noticed it too. I lost 3 friends a couple of years back (fishing accident), and we (my friends and I) talk about those dudes all the time. We don't make a point of it, they just always come up in random conversation because we were around them a lot. It doesn't "bring the room down" and people don't start bawling by the mere mention of them.. it feels good remembering.

But to each their own - maybe they'll get there in time, maybe not. And like many has already said, Ryan's gone but certainly not forgotten.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@mrfluke said:

@siroptimusprime said:

@breadfan said:

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By development

@siroptimusprime said:

@breadfan said:

Ryan's passing is incredibly personal to those who actually knew him. That shit doesn't get any easier to talk about just because a few months have passed.

I've actually been curious about the silence OP's talking about as well, as it's definitely a thing, but I have to attribute it to what breadfan said, and I don't think they want people to retrospectively watch their content and be bummed out; Giant Bomb isn't about being bummed out.

edit: but I can't speak for them. Yeah, it's none of our business.

Hudlommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hudlommen: I kinda get where you're coming from, and I guess I've noticed it too. I lost 3 friends a couple of years back (fishing accident), and we (my friends and I) talk about those dudes all the time. We don't make a point of it, they just always come up in random conversation because we were around them a lot. It doesn't "bring the room down" and people don't start bawling by the mere mention of them.. it feels good remembering.

But to each their own - maybe they'll get there in time, maybe not. And like many has already said, Ryan's gone but certainly not forgotten.

See i think i would take it the same way you did, talk even more about the person. But as i can read many others would not do it like that. I know they make the videos to be entertaining, but it would only put me (personally) in a better mood to hear stories about him every now and then. But if it offends 20% of the audience i can see why they maybe stay clear.

For the once arguing that it would bring the actual crew down to talk about it, i see your point.

They mention him enough to show he's not forgotten at all. Just off the top of me head, a recent Load our Last Souls, Rorie talks about the time Ryan and Vinny sang Bust a Move together. Alex mentioned Ryan on a recent Scoops and the Wolf.

I didn't know that, but I'm glad to hear.

@zero_ said:

Have you had many people around you pass away? I'm fortunate enough to say I haven't, but I'd imagine you don't always bring it up. Vinny occasionally calls Rorie Ryan, and everyone chuckles lightly and moves on.

My dad pasted away a few years ago, and I've only talked more about him since. But i know it's different from person to person.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

People can talk or act or do whatsoever they desire with regards to their own thoughts and feelings.

As a side note, I was "at" Ryan's funeral. Which was weird.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TruthTellah

@hudlommen said:

@zero_ said:

My dad pasted away a few years ago, and I've only talked more about him since. But i know it's different from person to person.

Personally, they may talk about him a lot, but when it comes to doing their job and trying to entertain, they do seem to be erring toward not bringing it up. And that's their prerogative.

Also, I continue to be a bit bothered by the thread's title "Ryan Davis the unspoken" as though them responding differently than you would like somehow means there may be something wrong with their response. Like we have to be overdramatic about giving him a monicker like "Ryan Davis the unspoken". Maybe they aren't saying much, and maybe that doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy. But they're the ones really facing this. We should be more considerate of their feelings than just worried about how their way of coping might make us feel. They're handling it in the way they believe is best.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

@breadfan said:

I agree with this, it can take a massive amount of time to be able to talk about someone close to you that has passed on, especially when they had such an impact on everyone's lives every day.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People can talk or act or do whatsoever they desire with regards to their own thoughts and feelings.

You were "at" Ryan's funeral? That must have been something. Does sound like it would be weird. Like, well, most funerals.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fattony12000

@fattony12000 said:

You were "at" Ryan's funeral? That must have been something. Does sound like it would be weird. Like, well, most funerals.

Just to be clear, the "at" is strongly implying something there. My actual physical form was not present, but I was heard and seen by those in attendance. I will talk about this more soon.

Still weird.

But utterly humbling.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@fattony12000 said:

Just to be clear, the "at" is strongly implying something there. My actual physical form was not present, but I was heard and seen by those in attendance. I will talk about this more soon.

Still weird.

But utterly humbling.

I am baffled, but I guess if you're going to explain it "soon", I'm curious to hear it. If you feel more comfortable talking about it in a PM, I'd certainly be interested. Sounds wild.

(Wait, did they play that video of you doing an ode to him? That would explain it. Not sure how "at" that is, but it would make sense.)

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Excuse me but has everyone forgotten about the 2 hour long podcast they did dedicated to Ryan? They have spent plenty of time remebering Ryan, and just because they don't talk about him all the time doesn't mean that they don't miss him, I'm sure they do very much, but it's natural not to talk about people who have passed away all the time. In the end it's really up to themselves how they cope with it.

Hudlommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hudlommen said:

@zero_ said:

Personally, they may talk about him a lot, but when it comes to doing their job and trying to entertain, they do seem to be erring toward not bringing it up. And that's their prerogative.

Also, I continue to be a bit bothered by the thread's title "Ryan Davis the unspoken" as though them responding differently than you would like somehow means there may be something wrong with their response. Like we have to be overdramatic about giving him a monicker like "Ryan Davis the unspoken". Maybe they aren't saying much, and maybe that doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy. But they're the ones really facing this. We should be more considerate of their feelings than just worried about how their way of coping might make us feel. They're handling it in the way they believe is best.

You can be as bothered as you like, i had to call it something :)
I was in no way questioning how they cope with his death as a statement of them doing it wrong.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpecTackle

Wounds are something that heal with time, the crew not jumping at a chance to talk about him is normal. I still get really, really sad when I hear him on old quicklooks and I never had the chance to meet him. I can't imagine what they're going through still. Give it more time.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

They talk about Ryan as they see fit. it'd be weird and really bummer-ish if they saw a Ryan Davis character on a wrestling game and went, "I miss Ryan so much, I'm really sad he passed away."

"..."

"..."

I'm only dancing, I'm only dancing

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the weird feeling that if the Giant Bomb crew talked more about Ryan, someone would complaint that they "just can't move on" or that "they don't leave him rest in peace". Someone will always have a caveat with everything.

Hudlommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hudlommen

@joeyravn said:

I have the weird feeling that if the Giant Bomb crew talked more about Ryan, someone would complaint that they "just can't move on" or that "they don't leave him rest in peace". Someone will always have a caveat with everything.

True.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagbiker said:

Look up the pax prime thing, Ryan got a standing ovation. Ironic considering he didn't even show up.

That review of God of War is still not live. If I had a premium account, I would unsubscribe.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PhilipDuck

I think keeping it in the past is the right thing. We all loved him and he was a big part of the site and we'll never forget it but why bring him up now..? Let him be!

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just coming home from my first day at my new job today. I thought about Ryan and I felt the tears coming up to my eyes, I can control them...its just an utter bummer to remember. Its fine remembering Ryan its just harder to handle the realization he is gone. Its best to simply not trigger it and keep it together, especially in front of cameras and thousands of people.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By alternate

Typical straw man argument.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wounds are healing.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah said:

@hudlommen said:

@zero_ said:

You can be as bothered as you like, i had to call it something :)

I was in no way questioning how they cope with his death as a statement of them doing it wrong.

Wow, way to be insensitive for no reason, man. There's no reason to be a jerk to me, the staff, or anyone else around here.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sooty

Fuck that guy.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EXTomar

I mean no disrespect but what else do they have to say? They miss the guy. They will not stop missing him. Why do they need to say "Man, I miss that guy"? And dwelling on it doesn't help.