Saving Content - my new website

HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By HawkSE

I know it's probably redundant to be posting a link to a gaming website on a gaming website, but I'll take a chance here. 

www.SAVINGCONTENT.com 

Let me know what you think, me and my friend are working hard to finalize some of the look and feel. Thanks in advance guys!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

No advertising your own website dude 

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Noodles

I dig the layout but yeah, I would delete this thread before it gets locked. If you can delete a thread that is, I'm not even sure.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SSully

To be honest it looks a little bland. The gray header bar looks unnatural, and the fonts look weird. For example I think the recent article section could use a bigger/different font, because right now it looks weak. Also you need a logo! Besides that i wish you the best of luck, it kind of reminds me of  http://epicbattleaxe.com/ If you want to succeed you need to produce interesting content that will make people want to visit your site. Sadly reviews and new stories will not do that. I wish you the best of luck duder

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@HawkxSx: I would recommend copying articles from your site when you write them and make them blog posts on here. You'll be allowed to post the link back to your article inside the blog posts for those that want to check out your site (as long as you're a contributing member and not just an advertiser, the latter of which you don't seem to be!). 

At least until you start getting good traffic.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Some of the content seems a little pointless. No one is going to visit your website for the latest gaming news when there are sites like Kotaku and Joystiq out there that get news up quickly. No one wants posts like your Need For Speed patch post (which is mostly a copy/paste from the press release anyway) on small gaming sites. Stop trying to copy what the big sites do, and try to stand out and do your own thing. Find your own niche. You'll never be able to beat the big guys at their own game, so do something a differently to stand out from the crowd.  

Stuff like the Duke Nukem post has potential, but you need to spend less time telling people what they already know (anyone who finds a small gaming site like that already knows the duke nukem forever saga), and more time editorializing & providing your own insights into it. Far too much of that article was spent telling me stuff which I'm already well aware of. That time could have been spend adding more of your views on the series & the game.

@The_Laughing_Man said:

" No advertising your own website dude  "

Active, contributing users are more than welcome to promote their, non giant bomb activities in a tactful way. The dude is asking for advice about website, and that's fine. If he were to start spamming links every five minutes, that would not be fine.
HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HawkSE

Thanks for the quick replies. It means a lot. I am trying to fuse news with our thoughts. It's brand-new, so we have a lot to learn. 

I'm well aware I won't compete with the big guys. We're finding our hooks...slowly.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By iam3green

the gray bar is weird. i think maybe make the links part have a different type of gray. it's pretty good man.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By WickedCestus

I am not a huge fan of the design (not terrible though) but I dig the About page. Except that you boast a "price scale review system" which doesn't seem to mean anything when I look at your actual reviews. And the "always hilarious" non-existent podcast seems like a bit of false advertising.... 

Anyways, I kinda like what you're doing, even if it has been done before. If you try something cool and new then I would be willing to check it out.

HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HawkSE
@supermike6: As of right now there wasn't an easy way to implement our style of reviews. So once you read the review. The "price scale review" is a piece of orange text the bottom. The site will be going through changes as it evolves. But thank you for your input.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By WickedCestus
@HawkxSx: Wow, completely missed that. Once the main text of a review ends I tend to just ignore whatever is written after because it's usually nothing. So, yeah, finding a better way to make that visually stand out is pretty key. Also, maybe you could try to integrate it into the final paragraph a bit more, because as a frank "THIS GAME IS WORTH THIS MUCH MONEY OUT OF THIS MUCH" it seems kind of robotic to me. Good luck!
HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HawkSE

Thanks for everyone's honest opinion. We are working to get something unique going. We knew early on we couldn't survive just on News and Reviews. We're introducing our own editorials and opinions and once we get some podcasts going, that should help. We have a few more surprises in store. 

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By DeeGee

There's a huge amount of TEXT IN CAPS LOCK on your site. That really puts me off.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14  Edited By natetodamax
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" No advertising your own website dude  "
You really, really want to be a mod don't you?