Science and Math.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Jayzilla

Why are Science and Math being pushed right now as so important? As an English Major and History buff, this really puts me off. Being creative is just as important. I felt the same way in the 80's and 90's when there was a huge push by Republican Presidents to promote Literacy. I think the education push shouldn't have an emphasis put on select subjects, and I believe the problem in America lies with both parties and not just one agenda seeing as they both have missed the boat on the topic for the last 20+ years.

Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Dom

you never know when you need trigonometry at the gas station

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sanryd

Well, I just have to say that history has no place in this argument if that's what you're implying. You do not need it nearly as much (not at all, I say) as the others.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By diz
@tdk08 said:
" Well, I just have to say that history has no place in this argument if that's what you're implying. You do not need it nearly as much (not at all, I say) as the others. "
Nah, we've nothing to learn from our past, have we?
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MarkWahlberg

It's cuz we're falling way behind other countries in those areas, according to a whole bunch of statistics. Creativity is important, yes, but it won't save us from the Chinese Army and their Power Armor.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By arkasai

We're pushing math and science because other countries have been doing so for decades and they're turning out some brilliant scientists.  A great majority of them still choose to study/work in the US though ;p

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Semition

Having more people working on the cure for cancer is probably more beneficial to a society than having more people make art.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By thatfrood

The push for science and math probably has to do with the fact that the US scores very low in science and math literacy compared to most nations.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sanryd
@diz said:
" @tdk08 said:
" Well, I just have to say that history has no place in this argument if that's what you're implying. You do not need it nearly as much (not at all, I say) as the others. "
Nah, we've nothing to learn from our past, have we? "
Nope. Tell me the last time you've used anything you learned in a history class in real life. (Jeopardy doesn't count)
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Our education system is not quite as well rounded as other nations' (and not quite as good overall). No country wants to be left behind while others churn out scientists and mathematicians that pave the way to the future. Creativity is definitely important and not something to just throw aside, but, at the same time, it is worth it to have a good balance.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@Jayzilla said:

" Why are Science and Math being pushed right now as so important? As an English Major and History buff, this really puts me off. Being creative is just as important. 

If you don't think math and science are creative, then you haven't studied math and science at the graduate level.  Also, how can *creativity* be *taught*?
diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By diz
@tdk08 said:

" @diz said:

" @tdk08 said:
Nope. Tell me the last time you've used anything you learned in a history class in real life. (Jeopardy doesn't count) "
It's been a very long time since I've sat in a history class! But let's both learn something from history right now:

Thucydides once said; "History is Philosophy teaching by examples".
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brians
@Jayzilla:  Do you like new technology?
That is why. 
Also I'm a liberal arts major and see no problem with the government encouraging people to become interested in science and math.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#14  Edited By citizenkane

Because science and math are critical to the evolving development of our society.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mikevanpwn

History should be a top priority in our schools.  After all, who are we if we don't know our history? 

American's especially should be well educated in the Constitution, and the nation's founding.  Our nation is unique in the sense that so much responsibility is given to each individual in this country.   

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

I would dispute that 'being creative' is as important as 'being useful'.  The problems we face are going to be solved by scientists and mathematicians, not by somebody painting a nice picture or talking to me about my feelings or whatever.  

Why are they pushing math and science?  Because too many kids are taking almost worthless degrees (made worthless by virtue of the fact that so many are taking them, rather than the subject itself) just because they think they will be easy, and are really only taking them in the first place so they can live it up at University for a few years (subsidised by the tax payer of course).

mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mshaw006

History is kind of our collective memory, and is important to remind us who we are, but only science will help us move forward.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

idk either. when am i going to need algebra?  i hope that i don't need to learn how to add X's sometime in life. 

it is because the US school system isn't great compared to other countries.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@tdk08 said:

" @diz said:

" @tdk08 said:

Nope. Tell me the last time you've used anything you learned in a history class in real life. (Jeopardy doesn't count) "
You, personally, may not ever apply history to life but that doesn't really say anything about the study itself. There are plenty of fields that apply history to the modern day. Be it in economic theory, foreign diplomacy, or projecting societal trends, we can trace events back to figure out what happened where and when and what effect it had on events that are occuring in the modern day. Using the past as an example, we can try to resolve issues before they become major. Of course, simply saying that those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it isn't necessarily true because oftentimes those who do know the past can manipulate it to meet an agenda as well. History can be a powerful tool.

Though, I'm more of a bio/chem guy myself.
diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By diz
@mikevanpwn said:
" History should be a top priority in our schools.  After all, who are we if we don't know our history?  American's especially should be well educated in the Constitution, and the nation's founding.  Our nation is unique in the sense that so much responsibility is given to each individual in this country.    "
The problem with history is its subjectivity. I'd also have thought America should pursue a more international focus in what is now a global society.

Technological innovation and creative expression are both defining characteristics of humans, so are both equally important.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@AlteracBarry said:

" In science aren't you learning from those who come before us. Thus we are simply "standing on the shoulders of giants" liek tesla :D "

Not at the graduate level.  Before you can contribute to the field, you have to learn the fundamentals, though.  
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Megalon

Science and math are important in just about every aspect of your life, whether you acknowledge it or not. And the purpose of learning a subject isn't just to memorize facts about it; you also learn critical thinking skills, get exposed to things you would not have otherwise, and maybe even apply these skills and ideas into areas you are more interested in personally.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By s7evn

Although History is important, I find math and science much more critical in terms of staying ahead of the curve. If we fall behind in science and math the future of the country is at stake, where as history will keep repeat itself because we fail to learn from it.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By bacongames

The way I look at it every subject is a derivative of science because English is the study of the language and content, namely literature, of a culture (the world or a specific nation) and math is a tool developed by people in order to calculate the world around them.  History is a collection of the past as formulated and verified by evidence and evidence based thinking.  Hell "social studies" is a misnomer because it's just science but studying human products such as economy, psychology, sociology etc.  So one way or another you can look at something in a scientific manner so pushing science is never a bad thing in my eyes.  The only problem I have is the way we have compartmentalized subjects and wholly separate and distinct from others.

If you took your history, you would know that America has had the motivation to push Math and Science before (i.e. The Cold War) and this time it's for the same reason: international competition.  Being industrialized nations, our virility in the international field in terms of economy and such is directly related to our scientists and engineers.  As a result schools around the nation have a seeming pressure put on them to emphasize Math and Science in order to produce more engineers and such to compete with countries like India and China.

I've always felt that the statistics behind American test scores was biased and really not the reason you push any one subject.  Test scores is an issue of the states scrambling to plug up this hole or that in their system based on the score and what they can get from the government as a result of said score.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GunnBjorn

I utterly suck at math! 
Really, if you want to traumatize me, torture me with a lecture/treatise about math.  
You might be witnessing a person who shoots his brains out! 
I'm nót saying it's not important, it's just not for me.
Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Whitestripes09

I believe all forms of education are necessary its just that math and science are dubbed the more "important" subjects. Average people will most likely use these two subjects the most, but i dont think its exactly a smart decision, it looks so bad when someone can't point out where Great Britain is on a map or when some doesn't know how to pronounce Czechoslovakia in social studies.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27  Edited By damnboyadvance

Maybe it's just that a lot of kids these days aren't interested. I'm going to a Math Science Center around here, so I could agree that it isn't really pushed in normal school.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Jayzilla

All great points. I guess I just don't trust the reasons behind why it's being pushed. I see the gov't wanting math and sciences at the forefront not for good, but for control purposes. I just don't see the American gov't as benevolent I guess. There is always an ulterior agenda when it comes to who runs this country. That is why I think that balance is necessary, because it is usually the journalists and people who write historical books that remind us of how we need to keep our leaders in check in this country. I think that math and science are just as important, but whistle blowers tend to be more zealous and cut of a creative cloth more often than not.