Settle my fight! Ketchup or Mayo?

• 190 results
shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Settle my fight! Ketchup or Mayo? (565 votes)

Ketchup 71%
Mayo 29%

Got into an extremely heated debate with my friends over a couple of drinks after work. I am going to sum it up.

We had a couple dishes of food to go with the drink tonight and after a few drinks, I notice that everything on the table either have mayo on it or on the side (mostly japan fast food). I proceeded to say "this is kind of disgusting" because I prefer ketchup. My friends said "that's because you went to the states and got use to that eating habit." I said that is not true and it escalates from there. SETTLE THIS! That mother fucker owe me 5000 yen if I win.

• 
Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anytime I see someone eating chips (fries) with mayo I feel like they're fucking savages. Ketchup. If you're using mayo instead you're doing it wrong.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Both => Thousand Island Dressing

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By DeadpanCakes
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I don't understand what exactly the conditions are for you to "win." Are you asking what is the better condiment?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shinjin977

I don't understand what exactly the conditions are for you to "win." Are you asking what is the better condiment?

yes sorry for not being clear. I have like 6 beers in me at the moment.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mayo is love. Mayo is life.

Ischar25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm from Holland, so I'll let this speak for itself:

Loading Video...

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm Dutch (Genetically, and I lived there for 6 months), if you want mayo with your chips there, you can either have patat met or patat zonder (Literally chips with or chips without). Patat oorlog's the way to go though, mayo, spicy peanut sauce and raw onions.

But seriously, tomato sauce (Never actually had "Ketchup") is for meat pies, sausage rolls, and pizza bases.

terror_shart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generally I would have to say Ketchup....unless we are talking about some real gourmet shit...like a nice Garlic Aioli

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Mayonnaise is discussing in any and all situations. Ketchup is not.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Both have their places in my pallet.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both have their places in my pallet.

This. Depends on the food. Sometimes both? Also, I have soft spot in my heart for Mustard on Hot Dogs and Burgers.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

ketchup is vegan

mayo is necessarily made with tortured chicken eggs

checkmate

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@mjk0104: Ketchup and tomato sauce are not the same thing. Ketchup is tomato based, but its texture is smooth. Think like a runnier tomato paste. You squirt it from a bottle like mustard or some store bought salad dressings. There aren't any chunks of tomato or other veggies in it. The ingredients also include sugar or syrup of some sort, and vinegar. The common American style is quite sour and often heavy on garlic, onions, and salt. I prefer the less common style which has a stronger tomato flavor and is sweet like a tomato jam with just a hint of vinegar. Regardless, ketchup is made from tomatoes but is nothing like the sauce you would put in a pie or on a pizza. It's a condiment like mayo or mustard. People don't generally put it on pizza or pasta.

It depends on the dish. For a sandwich (including a burger or hot chicken sandwich) I usually put both mayo and ketchup. Only sandwich like thing I don't like mayo on are hot dogs. As far as a dipping sauce goes, I enjoy mixing them together or using some sort of Aioli if the option is there. I guess the answer is probably both in most cases for me, but I openly admit that I put ketchup on many things most people wouldn't, including nuts, eggs, noodles, and honestly pretty much any meat or, grain, or veggie out there.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Depends what the condiment is for. Life isn't so cut and dry for me.

Also surprised no one has mentioned Catsup.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa whoa whoa. I'll have absolutely no part in this. There should not be a war between ketchup or mayo. They are both equally delicious. Sometimes they are delicious together, sometimes apart. Where's the "both" option? Hell sometimes mustard can even be quite tasty.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mjk0104

@raven10: Wait, what do you think tomato sauce is? In Australia, it's this stuff:

No Caption Provided

If it's anything but smooth, it's well and truely off, and probably infected with something...

Also, if you put it on pasta, your a goddamn monster.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BabyChooChoo

On what though? On some sort of burger? Both. On a hotdog? Mustard is the only acceptable answer. On fries? No condiments at all because I'm not a fucking savage and I'm eating french fries the way the good lord intended us to eat goddamn french fries.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By T_wester

I'm very biased against any tomato based products, but that's only because I'm allergic to tomatoes. I'm not event sure I remember the taste of ketchup. That said it's probably great on many things.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the food, but anything can go with fries / chips. You should try a light sprinkle of soy sauce. Or Picalilli.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No condiments at all because I'm not a fucking savage and I'm eating french fries the way the good lord intended us to eat goddamn french fries.

With no condiments and at least 2 packets of goddamn salt.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sunie

@ischar25 said:

I'm from Holland, so I'll let this speak for itself:

Loading Video...

Came here to post exactly this :P

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I dislike mayo. I'm ok with ketchup.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Fries are nothing more than a ketchup delivery system. They're so you can get the delicious taste of ketchup without feeling like a freak for just eating it right out of the bottle. There are no other reason fries exist.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Fries are nothing more than a ketchup delivery system. They're so you can get the delicious taste of ketchup without feeling like a freak for just eating it right out of the bottle. There are no other reason fries exist.

you clearly have never had a delicious french fry in your entire life. You have never savored a Rally's/Checkers fry. You have never gotten frys from mcdonalds and dumped a packet of salt on them. You have never ordered potato wedges at KFC. Shame on you for this horrible, inaccurate representation of french fries and how delicious they can be.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RonGalaxy

mayo is gross egg goop. Ketchup is iight, but it isn't my favorite condiment. Mustard is the best for everything that isn't fries/onion rings/stuff like that. But, to answer your question, I prefer ketchup to mayo a million times over. But I am in the states and was raised with putting ketchup on stuff. Mayo is more a thing you put on a deli sandwich, tuna fish, egg salad but I still prefer mustard for that (and hate tuna and egg salad). Mayo with fries sounds disgusting.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@neonie: Oh, so you need salt for your fries? Get out of here you hypocrite! Clearly fries are just your salt delivery mechanism!

Also, we have chips were I come from. Chips are better than fries. Fries are thin and crappy with barely any filling. Chips are real. And I'm not talking about your packet chips (which are called crisps), I'm talking about these

No Caption Provided

Olqavtoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Depends, if we're talking about fries than it's mayo all day long.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Neonie

@neonie: Oh, so you need salt for your fries? Get out of here you hypocrite! Clearly fries are just your salt delivery mechanism!ng about these

Only for mcdonalds fries.

I see your chips and I raise you potato wedges:

No Caption Provided

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neonie: Wedges are pretty good too. I'm glad to see that the person whose about to eat them has the correct condiment next to them.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Any self-respecting wedge-eater would not use ketchup. Clearly that was photoshopped by a slimy pro-ketchup activist.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If it's specifially for japanese food, I'd say it usually goes best with mayo. That said, I only ever really like mayo on sandwiches or mixed with other condiments.

I actually have no love for ketchup at all. It feels like a 'filler' condiment. Like what you'd put on something when you don't have/don't know what else to use. It's boring and tasteless. It doesn't even really mix with anything well.

So it's a lose-lose for me.

dushanan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ketchup is kinda gross. mayo is better. you know what are two great things that go on everything? ranch and barbeque sauce. now that's a discussion

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: I'd agree. Wedges are best served solo, with whatever flavour they have coming from their coating. But if you were to use a condiment, it would be ketchup, because mayo is for savages.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fries are thin and crappy with barely any filling.

Ugh, the filling is the worst part! I'm not trying to eat a goddamn potato here, I'm in this for the crunchy, salty, greasy outside of whatever came out of that deep fryer.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mayonnaise is the sweet pickle of condiments. Given the option of eating either something that tastes like sour underwear or something that tastes good with all your favorite horrible foods, I can't fathom why anyone would choose the sour underwear option.

Ketchup for president.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if we're getting into wedge territory, I'm a sour cream man, but wedges only need the lightest of condimenting, hence a light tasting condiment.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Neonie

@mjk0104 said:

I'm a sour cream man

Yuck! Sour cream is the worst! On anything.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm not a big fan of ketchup, but mayo is disgusting. So, I vote ketchup.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll eat mayo with a nice tomato salad, hardboiled eggs or cold meet.

Anybody who mixes mayo with hot food is a fucking animal, but I have to say mayo with japanese fast food somehow trumps everything else. Disgusting. You friend should be arrested for his crimes.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By Seppli

I prefer Mayo as a condiment. It's so much more diverse, because it mixes with everything. Mayo and ketchup? Check. Mayo and hotsauce? Check. Mayo and mustard? Check. Mayo and whatever the fuck I want? Check. On fries though? I guess I prefer ketchup over regular mayo, though any souped-up kind of mayo would make the race here too. Delicious garlic mayo with chopped olives and freshly ground black pepper and a squirt of zesty fresh lemon? Yes please.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By Zevvion

Completely depends on the food you're eating. Overall, I prefer ketchup as a dip. For example, I dip my fries in ketchup, I dip frikandel through ketchup (Dutch snack), I drag my patatoes through ketchup and so on. I prefer some snacks with mayo though, like bitterballs (Dutch snack) if I'm using any that is.

However, as far as preparing food goes, mayo obviously wins. I can't think of any meal where one of the ingredients I use is ketchup. Whereas I can think of countless where mayo is an ingredient. Tuna salad for instance.

So my answer would be: as an ingredient, mayo. As a dressing or dip, ketchup.

@mjk0104 that looks like ketchup, not tomato sauce. Tomato sauce is the stuff you mix with pasta like spaghetti. It's the stuff that's on a pizza.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

@mjk0104 said:

@raven10: Wait, what do you think tomato sauce is? In Australia, it's this stuff:

No Caption Provided

If it's anything but smooth, it's well and truely off, and probably infected with something...

Also, if you put it on pasta, your a goddamn monster.

In the US that would be called ketchup. When they talk about "tomato sauce" they are generally referring more to a tomato based pasta sauce from my experience.

As others on here have said, it depends on what food we are talking about. Both tomato sauce (ketchup) and a good whole egg mayo have their place. Sometimes that place is together, sometimes it is not. I find myself being adaptable when it comes to my condiments.

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zeg

F all that noise:

No Caption Provided

... but since this is a question/choice, Ketchup.

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends what type of mayonnaise.

Normal mayonnaise? No thanks.

Japanese mayonnaise? Definitely, it tastes so much better.

Of course there is the possibility I'm a little bit crazy, one of the things I'm looking forward to when I go to Japan is trying a pizza with mayonnaise on it.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mayo is disgusting, so ketchup wins by default!

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gaff

@zevvion: You monster. Croquettes and bitterballen should be eaten with mustard.

Also, F ketchup.

No Caption Provided

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@gaff: I don't like mustard. I like it as an ingredient when I'm making a sauce, but bare mustard is disgusting to me. In almost every establishment, bitterballs are served with both mustard and mayo though. They are both standard choices.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@mjk0104: Here that term is used for the tomato based sauces put on Italian dishes like pasta and pizza. Marinara sauce is another common term for a straight tomato sauce, but the term also encompasses any pasta sauce with a tomato base such as a vodka sauce like one would put on Penne, the tomato component of a meat pie, the tomato base used to make pizza, and occasionally even heavily spiced tomato based sauces used in Indian cooking like Korma (although this is far less common).

Looking through the website of Master Foods, tomato sauce would be what would be found on this page:

http://www.masterfoods.com.au/cooking-sauces/

The ones with a tomato base would be a tomato sauce. And the things on the sauces page would be called condiments, along with the mustards and relishes. Basically if it goes on a sandwich or any sort of dish that involves meat, veggies, or cheese on or in some sort of bread it's a condiment. If you cover a cooked grain like pasta or rice with it then it is a sauce. Savory pies with meat, cheese, egg, or veggies are not generally eaten in America. Pies here almost exclusively contain fruit so we don't have a specific term for sauces put inside of a crust. You'd generally refer to a pie as being filled and an animal or veggie as being stuffed. Therefore an internal sauce is either a stuffing or a filling. A sauce here is poured over something not found within it. So in the case of a pie, the only time you would have a sauce would be if there was say some sort of gravy poured over the pie after it was cooked. Finally if you would put it on a salad then it is a dressing regardless of whether or not you would also use it as a sauce, filling, or condiment (like a blue cheese salad dressing).

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best place for ketchup: In the mouf.
Best place for mayo: In the hair as it can be used a conditioner, giving luster and shine.

I've turned into a bit of a ketchup snoot and only enjoy Annie's Organic Ketchup.