Shooters/Gun Owners, what would you be into learning?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

Gun debate short: I have a very Bill Maher approach to gun control. They should be available, but only to those formally trained, with a clean record, and potentially have to be re-certified with safety and skill.

I think most people that own guns and legally carry them are too stupid and unskilled to do so. You won't believe how many gun owners don't know guns need lube, or that rifles need to be zeroed. With that, I've become inspired to teach civilians shooting skills. I am in the middle of becoming certified to teach and allow county police to issue gun carry permits in the state of Ohio. In addition to going through a SWAT combat course.

I don't want average Joe being able to carry around this crap, but if they're going to do so I want them to know how to do it safely and be skilled with the weapon enough so if they are going to shoot someone in the mall they don't take half the mall with their target.

With my military background and combat experience, I want to sell advance shooting courses. Such as stress shooting, maneuvering through a house, long distance shooting, and advance weapon care.

I don't completely support the "FUCK YEAH, GUNS!". I'll probably be the only Liberal with a shooting course. But too many people with guns are dangerous with them and even cops don't have what I consider basic skills. So I want to teach people about not killing themselves or innocents. Also, some people think shooting is fun. So I want to provide a safe platform.

I'm in the middle of developing class plans. If you're into this kind of stuff, what "gun stuff" would you be interested in learning or think people would be into?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

Well of those things you've already mentioned the last 2 already sound good. Long distance shooting can be fun since it can be made into personal tests of skill and/or contests and applied in hunting. So does advanced weapon care, teach a dude how to take apart his gun, clean it and put it back together and you're set, men love tinkering with their toys make it a gun and now it's that x100.

Stress shooting and maneuvering through a house sounds a bit too much above and beyond what a civilian with a gun should know. Unless you present it as say a house defense with intruders type of deal (even then it assumes the civilian going rambo rather then chilling and waiting for police like they should).

What about trying to dwelve into non lethal methods of self defense that also involve guns? Blunt rubberized bullets, tranquilizers, bean bags, tazer guns, altho I admit not knowing what's legal and not legal in the US in that area. If any of that is allowed people only would be too happy to experiment on each other and hurt themselves a bit me thinks.

Also teaching people the basic handling of bullets wounds and what to do in various bad situations, first aid type of deal for various affected body parts? Sure it's not shooting, but it's sure as hell tied directly to it, whether through self inflicted accident or if a crazy decides to shoot up a mall. It could go hand in hand with teaching people where to aim as to minimize fatality risks and just disabling.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I dont have a gun, but ive always been interested in getting one and going to the range every now and then. I've shot guns before so its not like i don't understand them or anything.

I mean im fairly liberal as well, but i still would like a gun or two. It just honestly, they're damn expensive and low on the priority list is all.

Like even if i owned a gun and wanted to commit a murder, what kind of dumbass would i be to use my own registered gun to kill someone? that'd be massively stupid. Use a knife and ditch it out of state, DUH. Buy a movie ticket and never go to the movie as an albi, BAM easy murder gives you a few hours to cover it up!

Just saying....

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#5 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Gun debate short: I have a very Bill Maher approach to gun control. They should be available, but only to those formally trained, with a clean record, and potentially have to be re-certified with safety and skill.

Steve, I feel that is a very military approach, since I and many of the Marines I served with also hold that view.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Every other time I go to a shooting range, I see someone doing something dangerous. The amount of times I've seen people waving around a pistol that may or may not be loaded in a direction that's not down range is frightening. Also amazed at how many people leave their finger inside the trigger guard while not actually about to fire the weapon.

I'm a decent shot but definitely a beginner in terms of everything else. Since I don't actually own a gun, I don't really need to know how to clean and maintain one. From what you've listed, I'd totally be into some distance shooting but not so much maneuvering through a house. What I've always wanted to try is shooting moving targets. If you could set up something like that, I'd be totally into it =D

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By audioBusting

I would rather not have anyone try to shoot anything in the mall =\

As someone who doesn't own guns, I've always wondered about the safe things to do when someone else is holding a gun. As in, how to be safe around people with guns. I think it would be useful if, say, I do end up having a gun and someone else somehow got a hold of it or something. Or just people doing unsafe things with their own guns. And to be honest I'd be interested in learning how to take care of a gun, even though I have no desire of ever owning one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I don't want a gun for myself, and I would qualify as liberal or at very least a leftist by most, and yet I'm for gun rights. I find it weird when modern people approach the situation like it's the first time it's ever come up, and like there isn't a long history of reasonable restrictions that don't require violating (or full on ignoring) the Constitution. I cannot in good conscience demand that someone get certification in order to possess their rights. I understand it's more dangerous and open to abuse, but so is being allowed to walk free at night and I wouldn't recommend a curfew.

I could never be a good sport shooter because I think coffee and my general nature makes my hands too shaky to be very effective.

If your target market is people who are unfamiliar with firearms use, I recommend you actually don't focus your advertisements in 'gun nerd' places. Otherwise the majority of your customers will be gun nerds, and that could intimidate your casual market.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Every other time I go to a shooting range, I see someone doing something dangerous. The amount of times I've seen people waving around a pistol that may or may not be loaded in a direction that's not down range is frightening. Also amazed at how many people leave their finger inside the trigger guard while not actually about to fire the weapon.

I think that every gun training course should start with spending at least 4-8 hours with an unloaded weapon cleaning it, learning basic gun safety, maintenance and shooting essentials. I realize that this doesn't make much business sense, but I'm constantly horrified when I see how untrained civilians handle their weapons around the world. Learning respect for the weapon before you get to chance to actually fire it goes a long way in making you into a good shooter.

locovoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epicsteve: Taking about concealed carry or any sort of self-defense, I think It is very important to reinforce that drawing a gun on someone is not always a solution and can escalate the situation dramatically. Especially with someone without a lot of discipline or training. If you will be doing any teaching in that sort of scope I would definitely say to talk about the psychology of those situations and using a gun under stress like that.

In terms of technical skills, I think a thorough drilling of the basics are important: every gun is loaded, a full takedown and rebuild, cleaning, don't carelessly point the gun at the guy next to you while reloading (I'm amazed how often I see this). One thing I wish I had better experience with is shooting in different and irregular orientations, like from bench rest, prone, from the knee, off hand, etc. I feel like being used to shooting in many positions would make someone a lot more calm and comfortable with a gun.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Combat rolls. How can I roll and not shoot my penis off?

Like someone else said: trigger-discipline; although I'm sure that's on the menu already.

Hip-firing. I want to go from 'holstered' to 'western shootout,' with my elbow cocked and hand by my hip in a split second and not take out the ceiling lights.

Disarming. If my drunken brother stumbled into my gun cabinet, how can I get my gun from him quickly and safely, assuming he isn't cooperating?

Note: I have never fired a real gun in the real world, but none of this is meant to disparage gun owners.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

You should invest in going to a class at one of the top schools yourself, like Front Sight for example. I guarantee you will come out of there realizing how little you actually knew. The competition is going to be fierce and I hate to say this, but simply having been in the Army is not going to be good enough. The top schools are all operated and/or taught by former SF guys with decades of experience, so you're really going to need something to set your school apart from those that are already established if you want to be at all successful.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By EpicSteve

@mb: Totally agree. That's why I'm going through a SWAT-taught course. But there is a shockingly lack of courses where I'm at. Most available classes at what I would consider a reasonable price, are presented as introduction to weapons. Which that is also what I want to do. Getting licensed to teach CCW classes is meant to be a stepping stone and get a handle on the civilian side of the gun world. I also hope to meet people and possibly get hired at an existing school. That's the realistic end-goal.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How do you do bullet time?

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes trigger discipline. As in, don't fucking put your finger on the trigger unless you're 100% sure you're gonna have to shoot, because of the scare factor and other surprises.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Aetheldod

The constitutions says arms right .... but it does not says that it HAS to be "fire arms"? No one should have guns. Sword fighting would be better I say (at least when soemone freaks out , they wont be able to kill as many people).