• 52 results
biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By biospank

I had some interest in it from a tech standpoint but I am not sure what I am supossed to do with it. Everything I have learned so far from it its like a mini pc for those who want to read about some news stuff. and then playing some games that I am not interested in playing in the first place. And then there is the web-browse thing if you like in you bed or something. 

So what am I supossed to do with an ipad? I really want one but I am not sure what can and should use it for when I get one. 

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By myke_tuna

At this point, I would get one to play DrawSomething on a big screen. I usually don't get addicted to these kinds of games, but I like drawing anyway, so it has an advantage over stuff like Angry Birds or Words with Friends.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

The screen is absolutely amazing, up there in the top 5 of best displays ever made, so yes, if you think you have any use for it, paired with that screen, go ahead. For me, I can't figure out why tablets exist, there's really no need for me.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By egg

Maybe not because of Foxconn. That said if I had an iPad (and I've on and offconsidering getting one for 2 years straight) I would use it for drawing, browsing, forum boards, and ebooks assuming comic books and manga are regularly available as ebooks. Don't really see any games I'd see myself playing on it, and I have a PSP for that anyway.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

Wait for a Windows 8 tablet.

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By roborobb

@xyzygy said:

That doesn't seem like the greatest idea to me.

I can't work out why anyone would really need an iPad. It just seems like an absolute luxury item, only a means of gaining entertainment on a bigger screen than an iPhone.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xyzygy

@RoboRobb said:

@xyzygy said:

Care to say why not?

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By roborobb

@xyzygy: only because my experience with windows-based tablets is that they're not superb. I don't think Windows 8 looks good but we'll see how it runs on a tablet I guess.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

@RoboRobb: There are Windows based tablets out there? I wasn't aware.

W8 is built for tablets. Watch a preview of them and you'll see how snappy and responsive they are. They are being built to house the same UI experience as the Windows Phone 7, which has the smoothest smartphone UI on the market.

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By llamaegg

@RoboRobb said:

@xyzygy said:

I can't work out why anyone would really need an iPad. It just seems like an absolute luxury item, only a means of gaining entertainment on a bigger screen than an iPhone.

They are a luxury item to be sure, I can't really think why anyone would need one, want on the other hand is a different matter completely. I can afford one easily enough and contemplating it solely for reading comics and gaming books (hefting around 2-4 Pathfinder books plus a notebook to every D&D session can be pretty painful).

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sooty

@xyzygy said:

@RoboRobb said:

@xyzygy said:

Care to say why not?

Windows 8 will totally suck in regards to apps for a long time, that's what tablets are about, apps. That's why Android on tablets is bad, not because Android is bad, but because it has a serious lack of tablet specific apps.

If you get a laptop/tablet Windows 8 hybrid then you might have access to more apps, but I think those are running ARM which means apps designed for that will be sparse. If you get a tablet running x86 processors then you may be able to run 'normal' Windows applications just fine, but I believe an x86 processor on battery is pretty terrible battery life compared to ARM.

@RoboRobb said:

@xyzygy said:

Well it is a luxury item, so is a laptop if you already own a desktop, which I do. That bigger screen makes it far more viable than an iPhone for many things too, Internet browsers in particular on phones are horrible to use compared to a tablet.

I basically have one because I didn't like the portability of my laptop, sure it was a 13" MacBook Air, thin and light, but still didn't feel that portable. A laptop lid is an annoying POS when you're on a cramped train, or plane, or heck, in a car. Unless you do a lot of content creation on the go (as in, not just basic word processing, tablets can do that) then it's a superb laptop replacement. I don't miss my Air at all, the screen on this iPad makes that thing look so outdated. (and my Air was only last years model!)

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

@Sooty: What do you mean, "might have access to more apps"? If you purchase an x86/x64 based W8 tablet you will have access to every single thing that your Windows 7 computer is capable of, PLUS the ARM-only stuff. It would be the same as running a mobile laptop, with the really nice keyboard W8 has integrated. Therefore the "apps" you'd have available would by far outrank any tablet on the market. However if you opt for the ARM model you'll have access to the apps which are designed specifically for Metro, of which there are already many developers working on because of the huge interest that has been displayed in Windows 8. On the first day of the consumer preview alone, the download hit more than 1 million. Considering the fact that it's a massive download, multiple gigs in size, that is an extremely impressive number.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrockNRolla

@biospank: I have an iPad 2 and I love it. I spend more time on it than I do on my laptop. It's slick, does almost everything I want it to be able to do, and is great for other tasks like reading books and magazines.

If you're into flash related things, then it's a non-starter. But beyond that, I love mine. I'm sure the latest version of the iPad performs similarly.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SSully

Its a media consumption device. Its more for people who have some extra cash and want to be able to access the internet, watch movies, and play some small games from a couch or while on the go. If you have ever been chilling in bed or something and thought "I really wish I could surf the giantbomb forums right now" then an Ipad might be for you. As others have said this is a pure luxury item, it is cool, but far from being necessary for anyone.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By kindgineer

@RoboRobb said:

@xyzygy said:

You obviously don't know much about it's uses in professional careers then. I live near York Hospital, and nearly every doctor is walking around with one as his device to retrieve and send information. A normal, every-day person, may see it as an luxury device (that's what mine is, other than my art tablet and place I like to write my novels) , but the support of apps and genius architecture for developing makes it a brilliant tool for today. I know many a friend who own businesses and literally run the thing from their iPad, only using their computer for something the iPad cannot.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sooty

@xyzygy said:

@Sooty: What do you mean, "might have access to more apps"? If you purchase an x86/x64 based W8 tablet you will have access to every single thing that your Windows 7 computer is capable of, PLUS the ARM-only stuff. It would be the same as running a mobile laptop, with the really nice keyboard W8 has integrated. Therefore the "apps" you'd have available would by far outrank any tablet on the market. However if you opt for the ARM model you'll have access to the apps which are designed specifically for Metro, of which there are already many developers working on because of the huge interest that has been displayed in Windows 8. On the first day of the consumer preview alone, the download hit more than 1 million. Considering the fact that it's a massive download, multiple gigs in size, that is an extremely impressive number.

x86 tablets (not hybrids) will not take off for a while as the processors are far behind ARM right now I believe, in terms of power consumption. If you have an ARM Windows 8 tablet then you will suffer app drought for quite some time.

Also, even if you do get an x86 tablet there's a big difference between apps that run on it, and apps that run on it and are specifically designed to work with the touchscreen interface. The vast majority of Windows 7 applications will not be catering for that method of input, your experience will vary wildly. So yeah that's why I said tablet-laptop hybrids might have more apps, because a lot of them will probably be running the more power hungry x86 CPUs, they will be in a good position in regards to apps, but Windows 8 standalone tablets? They'll be running ARM most likely and because of that they will be far behind iOS and Android, those two are getting more and more ahead every day.

It's just going to be the WP7 situation but with tablets. I won't even consider WP or a Windows 8 ARM tablet until they get better app support. At least x86 tablet/laptop hybrids will be okay, as long as battery life is half-decent.

I think the x86 hybrids running Windows 8 will be quite exciting, I couldn't care less about the ARM tablets, though.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By mordukai

@xyzygy said:

Sarcasm, right?

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@Sooty: Seeing that Windows 8 is both tablet and desktop/laptop theres a very good chance Metro becomes better supported that android does tablet wise. Hell I probably bet on it. Compared to iOS quantity wise doesn't have much of a chance, Metro wise.

duggshammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By duggshammer

Windows 8 is gonna be the new Vista.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By avidwriter

If you wanna be another mindless drone, sure.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sooty

@BlatantNinja23 said:

@Sooty: Seeing that Windows 8 is both tablet and desktop/laptop theres a very good chance Metro becomes better supported that android does tablet wise. Hell I probably bet on it. Compared to iOS quantity wise doesn't have much of a chance, Metro wise.

Windows 8 is still going to suffer from the split between ARM and x86 versions. In the tablet/laptop hybrid space x86 versions will be okay, but the ARM tablets are going to be way behind Android and iOS for a while, it'll catch up to Android (since that platform is maturing slowly on tablet) but I don't think it will get anywhere near iOS.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By VisariLoyalist

@Sooty: I've never understood why these giant tech companies with plenty of resources are dependent on courting "developers" I mean, if microsoft is going to dump that much money into the thing how much more could it take for them to publish a couple hundred apps themselves?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By Sergio

@biospank: I would say no in your case. Besides some niche uses, it's mainly play games, browse non-flash websites, and read books. For some it's the most expensive twitter client ever. You don't seem to be interested in any of these.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xyzygy

@Mordukai said:

@xyzygy said:

Sarcasm, right?

Uhh, nope. I am skipping all this i- and Android stuff in favor of W8. Knowing how slick and fast Windows Phones are I have extremely high hopes for them. Here's a really good comparison video.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sooty

@VisariLoyalist said:

@Sooty: I've never understood why these giant tech companies with plenty of resources are dependent on courting "developers" I mean, if microsoft is going to dump that much money into the thing how much more could it take for them to publish a couple hundred apps themselves?

Yup it's pretty dumb. Android is particularly stupid because installing that SDK is such a hassle. It's a shame because that OS is really good, but the app support for tablets is uhh...sketchy to say the least.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By James_ex_machina

Hell in less than a year the iPad4 will be out.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By Skald

@xyzygy said:

@Mordukai said:

@xyzygy said:

Sarcasm, right?

Uhh, nope. I am skipping all this i- and Android stuff in favor of W8. Knowing how slick and fast Windows Phones are I have extremely high hopes for them. Here's a really good comparison video.

It has gestures.

It needs apps.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xyzygy

@Skald: It's not out yet. They will come. Metro is available on 3 platforms, including the Windows PC, the most widely used platform of all. They will come, because this is Microsoft's biggest product yet. One of the biggest corporations in the world will not simply let support for their new, big, shiny, innovative product diminish out of the gate.

@VisariLoyalist said:

The Microsoft Store already has around 100 Metro apps, and it's still in the beta of the consumer preview. I can't remember how much was there when I first got it, it was somewhere in the 60's I do believe. That was about 3 weeks ago.

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By piropeople13

I bought one and the best use I have found for it so far is browsing the web/watching vids before bed. That or having it next to me when I play a console game to look up something on the games wiki/walkthrough. Depends on how much $500 is worth to ya.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By Tireyo

I would wait till the kinks are worked out, or a better tablet comes out. So far, customers are complaining about the new iPad overheating.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aus_azn

@ccampb89 said:

@RoboRobb said:

@xyzygy said:

You obviously don't know much about it's uses in professional careers then. I live near York Hospital, and nearly every doctor is walking around with one as his device to retrieve and send information. A normal, every-day person, may see it as an luxury device (that's what mine is, other than my art tablet and place I like to write my novels) , but the support of apps and genius architecture for developing makes it a brilliant tool for today. I know many a friend who own businesses and literally run the thing from their iPad, only using their computer for something the iPad cannot.

That's a huge difference.

For healthcare applications, doctors will use it as a way to access electronic medical records and do all of the processing from the device. I've seen iPads used in hospitals, sure. But even for that sort of tier, I only find those who are superfluously equipped using them. Most around my area are using Dell Latitude netbooks or the like, just because they offer that extra edge "that the iPad cannot" for but a negligible amount more money, if that.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Skald

@xyzygy said:

@Skald: It's not out yet. They will come. Metro is available on 3 platforms, including the Windows PC, the most widely used platform of all. They will come, because this is Microsoft's biggest product yet. One of the biggest corporations in the world will not simply let support for their new, big, shiny, innovative product diminish out of the gate.

Right, so let's assume for a second that apps don't matter. What is the draw to Windows 8 tablets? Democratized hardware? Cohesive ecosystem? Metro design language? Gestures?

You've piqued my curiosity.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I dislike Apple immensely, but my iPad 2 has become, in the few months I have has it, integral to just about everything I do.

From reading books on the Kindle, to downloading and viewing GB videos in Atomic, through to note taking at my job, writing my stories, and doing shit to my blog, as well as all the social media bullshit and general web browsing.

Oh and there are some legitimately great games, too.

Overall it suits me far better than my laptop ever did.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ChaosDent
@Tim_the_Corsair It's interesting that you do so much with it. What apps do you use for writing? Do you use a keyboard or any other peripherals?

I just got an ipad 3, mostly for development and testing, but I have been playing around with it. It does web browsing and video playback 100x better than Android and 10x better than the iPhone. The lack of a good free SSH client and a keyboard make it next to useless for me to actually get work done compared with the Asus Transformer.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xyzygy

@Skald said:

@xyzygy said:

Right, so let's assume for a second that apps don't matter. What is the draw to Windows 8 tablets? Democratized hardware? Cohesive ecosystem? Metro design language? Gestures?

OK I'll bite.

For one, the Start screen. Its purpose is to present a fast, easy accessible, and very data driven "hub". If you know anything about Metro you'll know what Live Tiles are - if not, they're basically the self updating "icon" which can display any sort of information related to that feature of the tablet/phone/PC. It looks fantastic when you have a whole bunch of live tiles throwing updates at you and displaying them on the fly, and it adds to the seamless experience of having everything at your fingertips - just by looking at the Start screen you will have access to a lot of constantly updating information.

Secondly, there's the wickedly powerful People Hub. For the W8 Consumer preview it's pretty bare bones, but that's because it's not done yet. It is supposed to update the one that we have on Windows Phones, and that is a good thing because it's phenomenal. Basically it is the storehouse of all your contacts, with auto-updating phone numbers and contact information across multiple accounts like LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, LIVE, Hotmail, Gmail, Exchange, etc. That is only one page. Swipe over and you have access to all newsfeeds from all of these accounts, with the option to filter out ones of your choosing. From here you can comment, like, view pictures, mention, basically do whatever you would be doing anyway on the respective accounts. It's essentially a really nifty and infinitely useful hybrid of a contacts page and all your social media.

There is the Messaging hub where essentially any form of IM will be rendered obsolete. You can talk to people across various forms of online chatting, the most useful and important one being Facebook. This is also where your texts go on the phones

The Music section is not compete as of the Consumer Preview but if it's anything like the media player they put on the phones you're in for a treat. It looks awesome, is fast and speedy and I couldn't have asked for a better MP3 player on a phone. I don't know what they'll do about the branding, the CP calls it Music and it's completely unfinished while the Phones still call it Zune and it's fucking phenomenal, so at least they know how to make a great music experience that incorporates art very nicely.

Xbox Live integration. You can view everything about your profile from here, earn achievements through XBLA mobile games, compare achievements, search games, and I'm assuming with the Xbox Games tile you'll be able to browse the marketplace from in the app. I'm not quite sure what else this Xbox Games tile does as of yet though because it's disabled in Canada as of now. And then there is the Xbox Companion which allows you to control your Xbox (menus only, obviously) directly from the tablet. Another thing that's really neat to mention about the Xbox is that if you're on the Videos section of the OS, there is a little button that when pressed will stream the movie directly to your TV.

Can't speak on the gestures because I haven't used one yet, but they look slick, responsive and very smart. As a user of Windows Phone I can attest to that experience on that platform. The video I posted above has a really great comparison of the iPad and the W8 tablet and there are quite a few things he liked a lot better on the W8 side. He has a lot of good things to say about it.

I personally am fucking pumped to get my hands on a nice x86/x64 version that can run legacy programs as well. :)

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@ChaosDent
@Tim_the_Corsair It's interesting that you do so much with it. What apps do you use for writing? Do you use a keyboard or any other peripherals?

I just got an ipad 3, mostly for development and testing, but I have been playing around with it. It does web browsing and video playback 100x better than Android and 10x better than the iPhone. The lack of a good free SSH client and a keyboard make it next to useless for me to actually get work done compared with the Asus Transformer.
I use Notes for the word processing side of things, although I'll pick up Office if the rumours come true.

I'm a pretty tall, solid dude and correspondingly have pretty thick fingers, making typing on a netbook or even laptop size keyboard a really painful, frustrating experience.

I find the iPad screen keyboard much easier to use in that regard. Sure, you won't be hitting 100wpm, but the comfort and accuracy makes up for it. Being able to go sit in a park or watch the footy on tv while still writing is hugely helpful for me, as it allows me to get my allotment of writing done in a casual way without the frustration of sitting at a PC and getting writers block.

Typically I'll move to the PC for serious, type 10,000 worfs in a session style work (via Scrivener), but for getting ideas or outlines down, or starting short stories (I've written a few from start to finish on there, too) or chapters, it's great. Also fantastic for editing existing work (I was doing this for one of my short story submissions today, pending sending it to my beta readers).

I've been considering getting a Bluetooth keyboard, but I honestly don't know if I'd use it.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By toowalrus

Can I hook a PC up to it and use it as a monitor? No? Then what good is this screen if all I get is reading and web browsing... sure it's gonna look pretty, but is it worth $500 (or whatever)?

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

Yeah, buy a tablet from a company who has failed to grab any market share/any amount of success with an unproven UI and a weird mix of regular Windows and stripped down Windows. Also some versions will have Arm chips that won't run normal Windows apps, negating its main advantage. That's a much better idea than buying a third generation product with a highly-refined/mobile focused UI/OS with a best-of-class display. #sarcasm

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Aus_azn

You should never buy an Apple product, ever.

My iPod 4G, iPod 5G and iPod touch 2G are a golden attest to that. I bought the first, it died 1.5 years later. Received the 5G as a gift, now it's in my car as a permanent jukebox because I didn't want to buy a 32GB SDHC to use in my car. The iTouch (also a gift) sits next to me in DFU mode, since it refuses to reboot to iOS whenever it's flat and the charger gets plugged in.

I've just never had a good experience with an Apple product.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By artelinarose

I have no idea what the benefits of owning a tablet even are. I've never messed with one before, what sort of things can I do on one?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avidwriter: If you consider people who buy great products that are critically acclaimed, sure they're mindless drones. I do not understand the mentality that demonizes anything that's popular. The iPad is consistently the leader in the tablet market because they make a great product. Granted, they have great marketing, but they actually have a solid product to back it up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sooty: Someone speaks sense! :-)

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By xyzygy

@wewantsthering said:

@xyzygy said:

Yeah, buy a tablet from a company who has failed to grab any market share/any amount of success with an unproven UI and a weird mix of regular Windows and stripped down Windows. Also some versions will have Arm chips that won't run normal Windows apps, negating its main advantage. That's a much better idea than buying a third generation product with a highly-refined/mobile focused UI/OS with a best-of-class display. #sarcasm

They have not entered the tablet market yet so you have no idea what you're talking about.

Their phones are growing, and if you look back at Apple about a year after they released the iPhone it didn't have as much market share as WP7 has in the same time as it has now.

Just because it's third generation you're saying it's quality will be better than a first generation new device from the same generation? Technology is always improving. It's not like we're constantly trying to squeeze the most out of the same hardware for years and years - that's the reason why they're on a 3rd generation. You know, to stay current. MS is taking its time with the tablet thing to make sure it's a great experience, not the complete and utter shit that Android tablets were for so long (and many continue to still be).

PS, Apple is a fashion statement. Ever see all those little girls with their pink cases taking out their ipads and iphones and going on H&M.com during class? Yeap.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ChaosDent
@Tim_the_Corsair
@ChaosDent

I use Notes for the word processing side of things, although I'll pick up Office if the rumours come true.

I'm a pretty tall, solid dude and correspondingly have pretty thick fingers, making typing on a netbook or even laptop size keyboard a really painful, frustrating experience.

I find the iPad screen keyboard much easier to use in that regard. Sure, you won't be hitting 100wpm, but the comfort and accuracy makes up for it. Being able to go sit in a park or watch the footy on tv while still writing is hugely helpful for me, as it allows me to get my allotment of writing done in a casual way without the frustration of sitting at a PC and getting writers block.

Typically I'll move to the PC for serious, type 10,000 worfs in a session style work (via Scrivener), but for getting ideas or outlines down, or starting short stories (I've written a few from start to finish on there, too) or chapters, it's great. Also fantastic for editing existing work (I was doing this for one of my short story submissions today, pending sending it to my beta readers).

I've been considering getting a Bluetooth keyboard, but I honestly don't know if I'd use it.
Cool, thanks. I'll probably skip the keyboard too, though I still can't get used to touch keyboards.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Before telling people they don't know what they're talking about, you should do a little market research. Microsoft has been in the tablet business for years. They were one of the first companies to really push tablets, but they haven't gained any significant market share. They may not have released their new tablet spec based off of Windows 8, but they've had tablets for a long time now (since Win 2000).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/tablet-pc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_computer

Honestly, Windows Phone will keep growing market share and it's not bad. I have a Windows Phone that I used and I don't hate it. I like it better than my previous Android Phone, but my iPhone 4 was much better (app availability, screen, speed). Their phone works better because the interface plays well on a small screen and they aren't trying to also run regular Windows on the phone.

I wasn't saying it's quality because it's 3rd gen. I'm saying that they've had time to work out the kinks (and they have), whereas Microsoft has not had the time to iterate. It's almost never a good idea to buy a first gen device. I've tried every major tablet (obviously not every iteration of Android because there are a bunch) and the iPad is most stable, fast, enjoyable experience by far at the moment. Notice my phrasing at the end there. I agree that most Android stuff is crap so far, but the iPad is a great device. Sadly I have a Kindle Fire, but I'm probably getting rid of it soon. Haha. Had an iPad before that.

I agree that some people treat as such, but to make a blanket statement like this about people who buy Apple products is just inaccurate. I personally use Apple, Microsoft, Google, etc products for various functions based on the product that performs specific functions to my liking, not because I think it makes me look cool. It sounds like you're just making a judgement call on people because you just don't like things are popular. Things can terrible and popular (Lady Gaga), but they can also be popular and great.

I use a Macbook Air for writing on the go because it's thin, light, and speedy with its Core i5 processor. I use my custom-built quad-core desktop with Win 7 x64 for serious gaming. I try to keep my mind open to any product that might fulfill my needs, no matter how popular or un-popular it might be.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By artofwar420

Do you have 5 hundo to spare? Go for it.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Skald

@xyzygy said:

@Skald said:

@xyzygy said:

OK I'll bite.

For one, the Start screen. Its purpose is to present a fast, easy accessible, and very data driven "hub". If you know anything about Metro you'll know what Live Tiles are - if not, they're basically the self updating "icon" which can display any sort of information related to that feature of the tablet/phone/PC. It looks fantastic when you have a whole bunch of live tiles throwing updates at you and displaying them on the fly, and it adds to the seamless experience of having everything at your fingertips - just by looking at the Start screen you will have access to a lot of constantly updating information.

Secondly, there's the wickedly powerful People Hub. For the W8 Consumer preview it's pretty bare bones, but that's because it's not done yet. It is supposed to update the one that we have on Windows Phones, and that is a good thing because it's phenomenal. Basically it is the storehouse of all your contacts, with auto-updating phone numbers and contact information across multiple accounts like LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, LIVE, Hotmail, Gmail, Exchange, etc. That is only one page. Swipe over and you have access to all newsfeeds from all of these accounts, with the option to filter out ones of your choosing. From here you can comment, like, view pictures, mention, basically do whatever you would be doing anyway on the respective accounts. It's essentially a really nifty and infinitely useful hybrid of a contacts page and all your social media.

There is the Messaging hub where essentially any form of IM will be rendered obsolete. You can talk to people across various forms of online chatting, the most useful and important one being Facebook. This is also where your texts go on the phones

The Music section is not compete as of the Consumer Preview but if it's anything like the media player they put on the phones you're in for a treat. It looks awesome, is fast and speedy and I couldn't have asked for a better MP3 player on a phone. I don't know what they'll do about the branding, the CP calls it Music and it's completely unfinished while the Phones still call it Zune and it's fucking phenomenal, so at least they know how to make a great music experience that incorporates art very nicely.

Xbox Live integration. You can view everything about your profile from here, earn achievements through XBLA mobile games, compare achievements, search games, and I'm assuming with the Xbox Games tile you'll be able to browse the marketplace from in the app. I'm not quite sure what else this Xbox Games tile does as of yet though because it's disabled in Canada as of now. And then there is the Xbox Companion which allows you to control your Xbox (menus only, obviously) directly from the tablet. Another thing that's really neat to mention about the Xbox is that if you're on the Videos section of the OS, there is a little button that when pressed will stream the movie directly to your TV.

Can't speak on the gestures because I haven't used one yet, but they look slick, responsive and very smart. As a user of Windows Phone I can attest to that experience on that platform. The video I posted above has a really great comparison of the iPad and the W8 tablet and there are quite a few things he liked a lot better on the W8 side. He has a lot of good things to say about it.

I personally am fucking pumped to get my hands on a nice x86/x64 version that can run legacy programs as well. :)

Huh. The People Hub does sound pretty amazing, and I've always been a fan of the ambient data. The rest though... the rest I could take or leave.

Still, that's some pretty interesting stuff. Not interesting enough to stop me from buying an iPad, but I'll definitely look out for Windows tablets in the future.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Skald

@xyzygy said:

PS, Apple is a fashion statement. Ever see all those little girls with their pink cases taking out their ipads and iphones and going on H&M.com during class? Yeap.

Sure, just those girls. No one else is buying iPads.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#49  Edited By wefwefasdf

@Skald said:

@xyzygy said:

Don't try to reason with the unreasonable. You'll just be disappointed.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Skald

@SpikeSpiegel said:

@Skald said:

@xyzygy said:

Don't try to reason with the unreasonable. You'll just be disappointed.

But Spike, how else will they learn?