• 63 results
AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By AcidBrandon18

Poll Should I skip class today? (284 votes)

Yes 45%
No 55%

I have a class in about 2 hours and am thinking about skipping it. For me to go I'd be required to read and take notes on two scholarly articles for the daily quizzes we have. I have yet to miss a day of the class and have aced all of the daily quizzes thus far. The professor drops the 3 lowest daily quiz grades at the end of the semester. And I kinda want to watch the finale of Breaking Bad/chillax. What should I do?

• 
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Hitchenson

I had an attendance of 49% total for secondary school. So, I missed more school than I went.

I sure had a lot of fun in that 51% of time though...

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I think I have discovered the best thing. My professor has cancelled class this week because he is quite sick, and instead has put up the lectures he would have been doing on Youtube. I can skip and attend class at the same time! I can listen to a lecture whilst sprawled out on the couch under a blanket drinking chocolate milk. It's definitely win/win.

I actually am skipping class today though (I have the previously mentioned cancelled class, and another one that the prof just reads the powerpoint on, so I don't feel bad). I have an essay due tomorrow, a lab due tomorrow, two assignments due next week, and I won't have much time this weekend because I am doing a charity run I signed up for months ago. Plus I had an essay due yesterday that took way too long. So I feel rather justified because I am going to be working on homework for the next 3 days straight so it isn't like I am ignoring my duties as a student. I just work better this way, on my own.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you don't think it will become a habit, take the day off. However, it becomes easier and easier the more you do it, so be careful.

BretF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By BretF

@ajamafalous said:

@hatking said:

@joshwent said:

Are you paying for your school in cash completely by yourself? Great, skip it!

Is anyone else paying for it? Do your damn work.

What a fucked up situation we have where the rare and precious opportunity to get an education and improve one's self is seen as an obligation.

Blame the education system for that. I didn't enjoy learning until after graduating. Twenty some years of school, not once did I read a book for fun, nor learn anything of my own will, and all I have to show for it is a piece of paper saying that "he's good at this thing, you can hire him for it." And I can't help but feel that degree was earned purely through attrition, not by talent or acquired skills. Those skills which I've been able to hone far more effectively on my own since I've finished school. School shouldn't be seen as an obligation, you're right. But the system is built in a way that forces you from an early age to do things against your will, against your interest, and then punishes you for not doing well at it.

That degree I'll be paying for the rest of my life, that already cost me at least a quarter of my life, has proven mostly worthless, by the way. Knowing the right people is profoundly more useful.

As a dude who just dropped out of college after four years because I had finally had it and couldn't push myself any more to finish a major by taking a bunch of classes I had zero interest in, This x1000. I went to a large public high school (3500 students) and graduated 12th in my class out of about 800. "Of course you're going to college to be successful, all the smart people do." How fucked is our education system that I was essentially forced into the next step in the educational ladder without any idea what I wanted to do with my life, and then I couldn't switch majors because my financial aid wouldn't cover it? Instead of that Computer Engineering degree that I was supposed to be good at and supposed to enjoy, I'm working a minimum wage job and have no money because I'm paying back student loans (and probably will be for the next 10-15 years). The entire system is a fucking joke.

This is pretty terrifying because I was *this* close to dropping out when the first day of this semester was approaching. I really like English and writing and books but I don't especially like my classes. The education system needs to be structured in such a way that from the very beginning, kids have options on what they want to look into. Sure, you can still require math, reading, and history classes, but there aren't many kids who actually like going to class and that's pretty messed up. School is also structured in such a way that the more intelligent kids are hardly challenged and wind up bored most of the time, so they don't study or do homework. And the dumber kids generally don't give a fuck.

I decided to stick to college mostly because, well, this is my last year and I can either get the degree with a massive pile of debt or not get the degree with a slightly less massive pile of debt. It's probably better to have the former, even if it does wind up useless.

Internships are things that really piss me off. My internship that I was told that I was certain to have fell through in August. So I spent all of August and half September sending stuff out, going to interviews, and by the middle of September I wasn't sure if I was going to have a internship, so I went and talked to everybody to see if I could get the class pulled. Nope I basically got told I should've known about this sooner since it was past the date of withdrawl. Luckily I found one. The problem I have the internship program is the blame is layed on the students if they can find one since my school doesn't help you find one, though they are perfectly fine with taking your money if you have to flunk out of the internship course for not having a internship. Sorry for the rant there, this whole subject just irritates me and then I'm being pressured to go to a Uni after I finish my first degree. After the experience at my current college I feel I would do better learning on my own. I'm going to a Community College since I didn't want to rack up too much debt. I got Finnacial Aid so I'm not in debt. I'm just questioning would going to Uni be worth the debt though I should maybe make a different topic than.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As soon as you start making excuses to skip class, it will start to happen more and more often. Eventually your grades might start going down and your fucked, I know many a college student who started skipping too many classes and ruined their GPA. Check yo self before you wreck yo self. Of course if this a stupid throwaway high school elective than its probably not that a big deal.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:

@hatking said:

@joshwent said:

Are you paying for your school in cash completely by yourself? Great, skip it!

Is anyone else paying for it? Do your damn work.

What a fucked up situation we have where the rare and precious opportunity to get an education and improve one's self is seen as an obligation.

Blame the education system for that. I didn't enjoy learning until after graduating. Twenty some years of school, not once did I read a book for fun, nor learn anything of my own will, and all I have to show for it is a piece of paper saying that "he's good at this thing, you can hire him for it." And I can't help but feel that degree was earned purely through attrition, not by talent or acquired skills. Those skills which I've been able to hone far more effectively on my own since I've finished school. School shouldn't be seen as an obligation, you're right. But the system is built in a way that forces you from an early age to do things against your will, against your interest, and then punishes you for not doing well at it.

That degree I'll be paying for the rest of my life, that already cost me at least a quarter of my life, has proven mostly worthless, by the way. Knowing the right people is profoundly more useful.

As a dude who just dropped out of college after four years because I had finally had it and couldn't push myself any more to finish a major by taking a bunch of classes I had zero interest in, This x1000. I went to a large public high school (3500 students) and graduated 12th in my class out of about 800. "Of course you're going to college to be successful, all the smart people do." How fucked is our education system that I was essentially forced into the next step in the educational ladder without any idea what I wanted to do with my life, and then I couldn't switch majors because my financial aid wouldn't cover it? Instead of that Computer Engineering degree that I was supposed to be good at and supposed to enjoy, I'm working a minimum wage job and have no money because I'm paying back student loans (and probably will be for the next 10-15 years). The entire system is a fucking joke.

This is pretty terrifying because I was *this* close to dropping out when the first day of this semester was approaching. I really like English and writing and books but I don't especially like my classes. The education system needs to be structured in such a way that from the very beginning, kids have options on what they want to look into. Sure, you can still require math, reading, and history classes, but there aren't many kids who actually like going to class and that's pretty messed up. School is also structured in such a way that the more intelligent kids are hardly challenged and wind up bored most of the time, so they don't study or do homework. And the dumber kids generally don't give a fuck.

I decided to stick to college mostly because, well, this is my last year and I can either get the degree with a massive pile of debt or not get the degree with a slightly less massive pile of debt. It's probably better to have the former, even if it does wind up useless.

Ah, you're like me. English degrees, or any degree in the arts, are way less valuable than degrees in science or business. I imagine in science or business you flash your degree as you walk into the massive complex you'll be working like it's a badge that says "I'm suppose to be here." The man at the door nods and waves you in, he didn't get a degree, or he was an art major. He points you to your cubical where they chain your ankle to your chair for the next eight and a half hours.

Like I said before, I've had far more success in getting relevant work by trying to get to know the right people. Twitter is more valuable than a degree, sadly. And being forced to take classes you hate, that's like practically the entire system. Here's this shit you'll absolutely abhor, now do it and fucking prove that you really want to do what you're good at, and if you're lucky we might help you do that.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By intro

No, you have time for those things after school.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Life lessons.
Life lessons.
RavenousJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By RavenousJoker

School is for fools!

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@humanity said:

The saga of the September 30th class skipping continues.

We should have an annual Giant Bomb bunk off work/school day. That would be fucking awsome. Everyone should have to post a picture of themselves sitting on the sofa in pants/dressing gown in the middle of the afternoon.

The capitalist economies of the world would grind to a halt.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@leebmx said:

@humanity said:

We should have an annual Giant Bomb bunk off work/school day. That would be fucking awsome. Everyone should have to post a picture of themselves sitting on the sofa in pants/dressing gown in the middle of the afternoon.

Would the world turn into the movie Doomsday?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Is waking up at 3:30 AM with a headache so bad it hurts to touch the pillow a good reason to skip class on an extremely rainy day? Cause I missed that opportunity. Still got half a day to skip...

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By leebmx

@humanity said:
@leebmx said:

@humanity said:

Would the world turn into the movie Doomsday?

I've not seen it, so yes, definitely.