• 63 results
AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By AcidBrandon18

Poll Should I skip class today? (284 votes)

Yes 45%
No 55%

I have a class in about 2 hours and am thinking about skipping it. For me to go I'd be required to read and take notes on two scholarly articles for the daily quizzes we have. I have yet to miss a day of the class and have aced all of the daily quizzes thus far. The professor drops the 3 lowest daily quiz grades at the end of the semester. And I kinda want to watch the finale of Breaking Bad/chillax. What should I do?

• 
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Skip it. School is for nerds.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Skip class for breaking bad? Are you serious? Jeff was right, damn people crazy about shows are lame.

Besides, they repeat this shit every couple hours anyway, you can watch after.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You're gonna miss school one day.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Trust me when I say no, go to school.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: Agreed, skip it unless you want to be coding C++ for the rest of your life.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk: It's not just for Breaking Bad. I'm just feeling kind of lazy and don't want to grind through these articles.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mosespippy

Looking back on my time in High School and University, I wish I skipped more classes. I say skip that shit, but do something more interesting than watching a fucking TV show.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

@milkman said:

Skip it. School is for nerds.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By RainDog505
@blu3v3nom07 said:

You're gonna miss school one day.

This. In spades. I remember my first year post-college-graduation being a real bummer.

In all seriousness, you are an adult. Make your own decision and live by it. Sounds like you will not penalized too much for skipping today, so in the grand scheme of things this choice won't even matter that much.

I rarely skipped classes in college...considering that was equivalent to burning a sizable handful of cash for giggles.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

The TV show obviously has a built in self destruct. If you don't watch it no you will never get the chance to!

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Are you paying for your school in cash completely by yourself? Great, skip it!

Is anyone else paying for it? Do your damn work.

What a fucked up situation we have where the rare and precious opportunity to get an education and improve one's self is seen as an obligation.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Eh fuck it. School can accomodate a day or two off.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fuck bitches; get money.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Looking back on my time in High School and University, I wish I skipped more classes. I say skip that shit, but do something more interesting than watching a fucking TV show.

This. But please, yeah do something interesting. Like get a group of friends together, go to a random bar in a random city and just hit on some girls. Fun almost guaranteed.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes it is important to take a day for yourself. It is pretty clear from your post that you hardly skip class ever, doing it once is going to have absolutely no impact on your academic career. In fact it may help to relieve stress and benefit your studies in its own strange way. I do advise you don't waste the day entirely though and maybe do some prep work for other classes, even if you end up just working for an hour.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Humanity

@nictel said:

@mosespippy said:

This. But please, yeah do something interesting. Like get a group of friends together, go to a random bar in a random city and just hit on some girls. Fun almost guaranteed.

Yah man, don't be a nerd, skip class so you can go hit on girls in another state.

zedman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah man fuck school thats what i did now i work long ass hours in a shitty kitchen... no wait...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No, but I should.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skipping school can be a slippery slope. Just be careful, today youre skipping school to watch Breaking Bad, a week later youre selling your clothes for another hit.

That aside I never skipped school in my high school years but during university I skipped a few only because either they were 9am classes and lazy hungover me decided I could catchup and confirm my work later on or I had already learnt about the topic previously

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, do something more interesting though! Fuck TV, right? TV is for nerds. Go light something on fire, buy a horse, order takeout from Applebee's. Something interesting, ya know? Something cool people do.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I skipped class all the time during University, as long as you know someone in the class that can tell you if you missed anything important skip them all.

I used to skip at least one class everyday.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skipping school for something like that is kinda questionable. You should only skip if you have a valid reason to. Laziness isn't a valid reason (I used to skip out of laziness at times and ended up regretting it a lot).

Getting into the habit of skipping classes can be a really bad thing though. Once you start is can be hard to stop.

Now I only skip classes if the lecturer/prof sucks and I won't lose anything by skipping it. For example, if they just read a PowerPoint that I can get from the course site, then I skip, read the PowerPoint myself, then read the textbook and do questions. I can get way more learned teaching myself in an hour and a half than if I watch someone else teach it, if they are bad. I have one prof this term who does exactly this, and even has all the examples he does on his PowerPoint, so there is literally no reason to attend lecture other than to assignments in. I still usually go anyway, but the more I go, the more pointless it feels. I will probably stop attending soon other than days where we hand in assignments. From what I've heard a lot of people are doing that now.

If the professor is good, though, I always attend lecture. I can learn a ton from a good lecture.

wyld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an instructor of a college course, I always tell students that you pay for the classes, go ahead and skip if you want. I would rather have a student who is willing to participate than a sleeping/drooling chair occupier. Just don't expect me to sympathize for the student I notice not attending.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do it! I skip sometimes, it's always been fine.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are right times to skip and wrong times to skip. Don't just do it for a tv show. That's a wrong time. Do something more important or more interesting at least. Only do it when its important because its real easy to get into the habit of skipping a lot. "Oh I missed that one time and was alright, I think I can miss again and be fine." Before you know it you're screwed.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Fuck bitches; get money.

Fuck the money. Get bitches!

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have unexcused absences to use, there is no point of not using them.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

What a fucked up situation we have where the rare and precious opportunity to get an education and improve one's self is seen as an obligation.

Yeah, this is a pretty reasonable reaction to OP skipping one class. (I'm being sarcastic.)

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By Tireyo

Not a wise thing to ask in a forum. What you do is up to you.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many people advocating skipping class.

No Caption Provided

I don't think skipping is ever worth it unless you are really sick, like projectile vomiting. Skipping becomes a slippery slope and you'll find yourself wanting to do it more and more often.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ended up skipping, watching Breaking Bad and playing some GTA V. Totally worth it. I feel like a rebel.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hatking

@joshwent said:

Blame the education system for that. I didn't enjoy learning until after graduating. Twenty some years of school, not once did I read a book for fun, nor learn anything of my own will, and all I have to show for it is a piece of paper saying that "he's good at this thing, you can hire him for it." And I can't help but feel that degree was earned purely through attrition, not by talent or acquired skills. Those skills which I've been able to hone far more effectively on my own since I've finished school. School shouldn't be seen as an obligation, you're right. But the system is built in a way that forces you from an early age to do things against your will, against your interest, and then punishes you for not doing well at it.

That degree I'll be paying for the rest of my life, that already cost me at least a quarter of my life, has proven mostly worthless, by the way. Knowing the right people is profoundly more useful.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

Yeah, this is a pretty reasonable reaction to OP skipping one class. (I'm being sarcastic.)

Sure, maybe a tad too serious, but nonetheless absolutely necessary to point out.

When the majority of people in the world have little access to higher education, condemning many to be on the brink of perpetual poverty and starvation, or worse, are culturally prohibited from bettering themselves (like girls getting acid thrown in their faces by the Taliban for trying to go to University), would you be cool asking them if you should skip class?

Maybe it's not too much to take some pride in the life you're able to lead, the future you'll be able to have because of it and just go to class... then watch your TV show later.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the class is rather boring and is discussion based. It is all about how the media portrays health related things like drugs, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@likeassur said:

@joshwent said:

Sure, maybe a tad too serious, but nonetheless absolutely necessary to point out.

When the majority of people in the world have little access to higher education, condemning many to be on the brink of perpetual poverty and starvation, or worse, are culturally prohibited from bettering themselves (like girls getting acid thrown in their faces by the Taliban for trying to go to University), would you be cool asking them if you should skip class?

Maybe it's not too much to take some pride in the life you're able to lead, the future you'll be able to have because of it and just go to class... then watch your TV show later.

Man, you would absolutely hate me.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@hatking said:

@joshwent said:

Blame the education system for that. I didn't enjoy learning until after graduating. Twenty some years of school, not once did I read a book for fun, nor learn anything of my own will, and all I have to show for it is a piece of paper saying that "he's good at this thing, you can hire him for it." And I can't help but feel that degree was earned purely through attrition, not by talent or acquired skills. Those skills which I've been able to hone far more effectively on my own since I've finished school. School shouldn't be seen as an obligation, you're right. But the system is built in a way that forces you from an early age to do things against your will, against your interest, and then punishes you for not doing well at it.

That degree I'll be paying for the rest of my life, that already cost me at least a quarter of my life, has proven mostly worthless, by the way. Knowing the right people is profoundly more useful.

As a dude who just dropped out of college after four years because I had finally had it and couldn't push myself any more to finish a major by taking a bunch of classes I had zero interest in, This x1000. I went to a large public high school (3500 students) and graduated 12th in my class out of about 800. "Of course you're going to college to be successful, all the smart people do." How fucked is our education system that I was essentially forced into the next step in the educational ladder without any idea what I wanted to do with my life, and then I couldn't switch majors because my financial aid wouldn't cover it? Instead of that Computer Engineering degree that I was supposed to be good at and supposed to enjoy, I'm working a minimum wage job and have no money because I'm paying back student loans (and probably will be for the next 10-15 years). The entire system is a fucking joke.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the class is rather boring and is discussion based. It is all about how the media portrays health related things like drugs, etc.

So did you skip it to go to a neighboring city and hit on chicks at a bar?

These are the important life decisions we at the Giant Bomb forums need to know.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on the personality, I'm the kind of person who would fail the classes if I don't get up and get here on time, I hope you didn't make your decision based on the forum posts. Only you can know what is best for you, maybe you thrive without having to be in the typical classroom setting, but most instructors at the college level will appreciate you taking the effort to not just blow it off. If something serious were to happen requiring you miss any future classes it might suck to have less leverage in working with your instructors because you just decided to dick around and skip a day to watch tv. But, that's just my view , you sound like a smart guy so i'm sure it all worked out alright.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Sadly, no. No amount of skipping class will ever make me cool enough to do something that awesome.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@hatking said:

@joshwent said:

As a dude who just dropped out of college after four years because I had finally had it and couldn't push myself any more to finish a major by taking a bunch of classes I had zero interest in, This x1000. I went to a large public high school (3500 students) and graduated 12th in my class out of about 800. "Of course you're going to college to be successful, all the smart people do." How fucked is our education system that I was essentially forced into the next step in the educational ladder without any idea what I wanted to do with my life, and then I couldn't switch majors because my financial aid wouldn't cover it? Instead of that Computer Engineering degree that I was supposed to be good at and supposed to enjoy, I'm working a minimum wage job and have no money because I'm paying back student loans (and probably will be for the next 10-15 years). The entire system is a fucking joke.

This is pretty much it. Aside from medicine and a few other subjects that are important to have official proficiency in, school is fucking useless. It's more useful long term to go to a bar and chat someone up, making friends is a better way to find jobs than education ever will be. I honestly don't regret that I skipped so many classes, and rather think I could and should have skipped more. Especially the occasions where I used the time to practice something interesting...

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@likeassur said:

@joshwent said:

He skipped a single day in a class he's yet to miss, and you're talking about people getting acid thrown on them.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Since you skipped class, you have to ask a girl out today. That's the rule. Because you can get away with doing anything irresponsible if it leads to a meet-cute.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@likeassur: I'm just talking about having a little perspective about the amazing opportunities that we all too often take for granted.

I'm not trying to shame anyone for skipping classes, or flushing pies down toilets, or whatever you want to do. Just to consider the things we may have, and that it may be important to take advantage of them.

If you're lucky enough to have a class to go to, go to it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

During around 16 years of school, I've personally maybe skipped class around ten times or less. The last year and a half have made me wish that I would skip days way more often. My current crew consists of people, who have skipped more days than I've seen anyone else do during all those previous 14 years and this is not even over exaggeration. Currently it seems like they're going to get what's coming to them, but I still feel like a sucker at times.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Break Bad.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The saga of the September 30th class skipping continues.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally think that once in a while it is ok to skip class especially when you know there is nothing important going on and you just want to relax and have fun for one day. If you do it often however it is really problematic and you could later regret doing it so often.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dont skip your class, skip through your class

No Caption Provided
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Justin258

@ajamafalous said:

@hatking said:

@joshwent said:

This is pretty terrifying because I was *this* close to dropping out when the first day of this semester was approaching. I really like English and writing and books but I don't especially like my classes. The education system needs to be structured in such a way that from the very beginning, kids have options on what they want to look into. Sure, you can still require math, reading, and history classes, but there aren't many kids who actually like going to class and that's pretty messed up. School is also structured in such a way that the more intelligent kids are hardly challenged and wind up bored most of the time, so they don't study or do homework. And the dumber kids generally don't give a fuck.

I decided to stick to college mostly because, well, this is my last year and I can either get the degree with a massive pile of debt or not get the degree with a slightly less massive pile of debt. It's probably better to have the former, even if it does wind up useless.