Should I take a semester break off from community college?

• 56 results
InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Here's the quick and dirty run down of my situation:

• I have no clue what I want to major in yet and have only taken basic classes these past 2 semesters.
  • I've failed half the classes I've taken each of those semesters. I know I'm a terrible person...
  • I've kept putting off and putting off signing up for classes this semester because I have no clue what to take. and the deadline for paying for classes is the 15th of August.
  • I just feel like I need to figure some shit out about myself before continuing an education I'm unsure of.

I'm all ears for any and all opinions and questions on this subject.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Fearbeard

If your heart isn't in it then I definitely think a semester off is a valid plan.

What you get out of college is based on what you put into it, and if your heart isn't there then it's mostly a waste of money.

So either, get serious about school or take a little time off. It's better to leave college by your own choice then by getting kicked out.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Get a job and go to a real college. CC sucks duder! Take a year off to be an Alaskan fisher-man, make enough money to pay for 4 years of tuition at a public uni, and then get a job as close to campus as possible, and live happily ever after.

Or join the military, and after four years of probably sitting on your ass, go to college for freeeeeeee.

Honestly though, I dunno man. The fuck are you doing at any sort of college if you aren't ready to be decisive about it? It's not going to do you any good at all, so figure your shit out, decide what you want to major in, and work in the meantime. Don't bother with school until you're ready, or it'll be a waste (see: failed classes) of money and time.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By AgnosticJesus

Take some time off to "find" yourself. No need to waste your time and money if your hearts not in it. I went through the same thing when I first went to college. I dropped out with the plan of coming back when I was ready. Went through an apprenticeship to become an electrician. In my last 20's decided to return to school and did well. Take some time off and decide what your career goals are and plan accordingly. It may or may not include college. It's not a decision to be taken lightly, you don't want to be stuck in a career you hate for the rest of your life, which is why I left the electrician trade.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iam3green

you should get some help with the classes then. find a major that you would like.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

Community college is taking a break. =)

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By nightriff

I highly recommend breaks, it sucks catching up but it refreshes you

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones
@MB

Community college is taking a break. =)

Zing!
Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Depends on the type of person you are. Everyone I knew who decided to take a break from College just never went back. I know it's presumptuous to think you would drop out to if you took a break; but for some people, college just isn't the right path to begin with. If you're going to take a break, don't just focus on your options for college, but on your options in life.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By myniceicelife

i kinda went through the same thing. went to a community college for a semester, then dropped out. went to a technical college another 4 semesters and still couldn't figure out what i wanted to do, so it was a huge waste of money. i took a few years off and went back in the spring of 2011 and took some different computer related classes and i found something i liked. now in december of this year i will graduate with a degree in Web Development and Design. so do yourself a favor, take some time off, save some money, find something you want to do and put the effort into it. if you need some motivation to go back to school, just work a shitty retail job for 5+ years and i'm sure you'll have the motivation haha.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MyNiceIceLife said:

~snip~just work a shitty retail job for 5+ years and i'm sure you'll have the motivation haha.

My worst fear: manual labor. It is what pushes me through school every day.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sissylion

If you're failing classes and have no idea what you want to do with you life, college isn't for you. Get a job and work until you get some idea of what you want. Your dream might not even require any form of secondary education. World's a big place, yo.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By DukesT3

As a 26 year old who dicked around at C.C for many years and fucked that up yeah don't waste your money if your paying out of pocket. Get a job or use a skill that you have and see where it leads you then if you feel "shit, I gotta get back into school" then go for it.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I don't know if bumping a thread is allowed, but I'm gonna do it since I posted this late at night.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 49th

Only take time off if you know you are going to be doing other things. It's an even bigger waste of time if you are just going to stay home playing vidya for the whole semester.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LikeaSsur

What? Jeez, please don't listen to people who tell you to "find" yourself.

Look in a mirror. There you are. Congratulations, you've found yourself. Seriously, though, what will you do when you're not in school that will help you complete this quest? You could say a whole lot of stuff, but I guarantee you could do the same stuff while you're also in school.

This isn't a 4 year university, it's community college. You pay for the classes you take. Unsure of what you want to do? Take a whole variety of classes, that's the beauty of community college. Take 1 Math and 1 Science and 1 Humanities class and bingo, most of your pre-reqs for every field of study ever is all but finished. Take a welding class, take a video class, take a teaching class, an interior design class, anything.

Unless you have some huge, epic trip around the world planned and ready, don't use that "I need to find myself" line as an excuse to not go to school. You will find out a lot more about yourself if you go then if you don't, mark my words.

Then again, if you just don't want to go to school for a semester, then don't. But at the very least, be honest with us.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By theguy

I don't know you so I have no idea what's best from you but from the text of your post it sounds like you are using the fact that you procrastinate and are indecisive as an excuse to continue procrastinating and being indecisive. That's a horrible cycle to be in. Again I can't tell if taking a break is right for you but if you do take a break don't just relax, spend the time seriously trying to figure out what you what to do with your life. If not talking about just sitting at a computer looking at courses either, go out and actually experience the paths you could take whether that means more college or something else. As others have said maybe college isn't for you but if you don't head in any direction you may end up like those people working "temporary" jobs and living in a "temporary" apartment for the rest of their lives.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By mrpandaman

What you could try to do is take your gen ed classes in CC and maybe by the time you are done doing that you'll know what you want to do and go to college or university to focus on your major. During this time, you could probably handle a job and school.

Or maybe try that after you have taken a break to really figure out what you want to do while having a job. If you don't feel like college is for you, at least get your GED.

On a side note, community college is not so bad, but I guess like most education, it depends on the school and the teachers.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By penguindust

Going back once you're out of the rhythm can be awfully hard, however if you get a full time or a 5-days-a-week part time job rather than bumming around to "find yourself" it's possible. If you've completed the classes you'll have to take regardless of what major you decide on, then taking a break is acceptable provided you put that time to good use. There's no rush to life, however it's decidedly easy to slip into a routine of procrastination.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SSully

Let's be honest. If you took a year off you wouldn't do shit with your time. Dont quit school unless you have a job or some other plans that will actually keep your productive. If you are unsure of what classes to take then try different ones to see if anything hooks you in.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I do have a part time job right now that would keep me busy if I did take a semester off.

@SSully said:

Let's be honest. If you took a year off you wouldn't do shit with your time. Dont quit school unless you have a job or some other plans that will actually keep your productive. If you are unsure of what classes to take then try different ones to see if anything hooks you in.

That's a very risky thing when I'm having to pay for school out of pocket.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zombie2011

If you're failing half your basic community college classes, maybe school isn't the right choice for you.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By InfiniteGeass

@zombie2011 said:

If you're failing half your basic community college classes, maybe school isn't the right choice for you.

But then what can I do if I don't go to school? I'll be useless without some kind of degree won't I? I don't know what I would do if I don't go to school again. I'm just really scared and concerned about what I'm doing. I mean sure I like video games and I think it'd be cool to make them, but I'm not any good at drawing so that eliminates every artistic job prospect in that area. I could become a programmer sure, but I think I'll need a CS degree of some kind to make that happen and there would be no way for me to really just make my own games since I can't draw or do sound types of things.

I just don't know what to do and I'm kind of scared. *sigh* I went on a little ramble there didn't I?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By bacongames

@InfiniteGeass said:

@zombie2011 said:

But then what can I do if I don't go to school? I'll be useless without some kind of degree won't I? I don't know what I would do if I don't go to school again. I'm just really scared and concerned about what I'm doing. I mean sure I like video games and I think it'd be cool to make them, but I'm not any good at drawing so that eliminates every artistic job prospect in that area. I could become a programmer sure, but I think I'll need a CS degree of some kind to make that happen and there would be no way for me to really just make my own games since I can't draw or do sound types of things.

I just don't know what to do and I'm kind of scared. *sigh* I went on a little ramble there didn't I?

To be fair, most kids who enroll in a 4 year college take upwards of a year or more to even decide on a major, let alone settle on it. I've always been forward looking and studious so I can't really speak from experience. However for me I can say a change of environment is crucial to my work habits. If I'm at home, my work output is jack dick but at school, even with all the same computer/videogame/big TV distractions available, I get a lot more done. Maybe college quite isn't the place to be but your only other option in a general sense is just throw your hook out into the job ocean and see what you can catch.

Honestly getting any work experience under your belt might set you up to be skilled in something and then get your degree afterwords. Its clear you have no real interests that immediately come to mind but also consider that you are a member of society whose skills and experience are worth something on a market. So think back to any skills, classes, etc. where you did really well where even if you're not super enjoying it, you would be a person worth paying to do that thing. I know its not much consolation but its a start.

As far as a degree is concerned, if you are constantly turned away because you don't have your degree, either start up some project yourself, or get some low end job for the sake of that experience. There's something to be said about putting yourself through the shit at least temporarily. Its when you're there for 5 years that shit needs to change. It is definitely a situation between a rock and a hard place but the worst thing you can do is use this time off to do nothing and sit around. All the responses in this thread speak to that. Even if its minor, do something, anything, and you'll have justified it. Volunteering isn't a bad idea, get yourself involved in community stuff, help your local area. Apply for organizations that need staff. Donating your time like that will be beneficial to yourself and future people looking to hire you.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zombie2011

@InfiniteGeass said:

@zombie2011 said:

I'm just saying i took CC classes when i was in high school, and i barely went to them and i still got A's in them. It just seems like a waste of money if you can't even pass simple CC classes.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By superpow

@InfiniteGeass: You know, sometimes you just gotta do what you feel is most suitable and not worry about negative outcomes. You have to go out into the world and experiment with the possibilities life has to offer. Degrees don't mean shit if you don't have the drive and the attitude to succeed.

I'm currently taking a year off before going from college to university, but it's because I know exactly what I want to do. I got a decent job as a juice maker and founded an indie game studio with my friend. Over the course of the year I plan on going to trips around the world with the money I make as well as save up for an apartment in the city near the university I will be attending. I definitely want to go back to school because I feel it is the best place for me to grow intellectually and to express myself artistically, but for now I'm very happy where I am.

@InfiniteGeass said:

I could become a programmer sure, but I think I'll need a CS degree of some kind to make that happen and there would be no way for me to really just make my own games since I can't draw or do sound types of things.

You don't need a degree to learn skills. You just need to be interested in a topic and study it extensively. That's how I learnt Spanish and Piano. You also seem to be giving up on it before you even try. My advice is to just try making a game. There's nothing holding you back but your fear of failure.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Barrock

Yes. Take time off, decide what you want to do and how you want to pursue it.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By s10129107

Youre never going to figure out where you're going in your college career by NOT being in college. Listen, pick a major, you'll never get anywhere with gen-eds, work HARD and transfer to a 4 year school. And FUCK all these assholes saying that community college isnt college. You just gotta do what you gotta do.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Toxeia

@InfiniteGeass: Might I suggest looking at a technical school? Your problem might be that you'd rather learn doing something hands-on. It doesn't have to be a manual labor thing either. My issue with going to college was that everything was focused on a "well rounded" education that in the end proved nearly useless. A technical school would focus much more on what your career would be rather than requirements for a piece of paper.

My suggestion - take the semester off but only if you can guarantee you'll meet these two criteria. First, you WILL NOT lay around on your ass at all hours. A part time job is good, maybe a second is better. I wouldn't recommend a full-time because it might be hard to leave or return to your part-time when it comes time to return to class. Second, you will investigate and interview with local technical schools. Get a feel for them, see how you feel about it. If nothing else, you might see a trade there that you'd like to pursue at a different school.

Oh, also, don't waste your time doing basics. Found out when I was going for my electrical engineering I boned myself because I took a 4 year degree and extended it to 6 by taking basics before I'd set my sights on it. I ended up going to a technical school to dabble in dental hygiene, but I've settled on computer networking and security. Proud to say I'm finally excited about classes, and I've been rocking top of my class for the past 3 semesters.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Sitting around won't help you figure out what you want to do. You just have to pick something and dive in, and see how it goes. If you have only taken 2 semesters and failed half of them you still are far off from really needing to decide anyway. Just keep taking classes that seem somewhat interesting and retake some of the ones you flunked. Dropping out will only increase your chance of never getting a degree. And you will be so far behind from failing classes and taking a break. Get it done with as soon as you can, you don't want to be 24 and still in college. You want to begin your life.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Yes you should.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33  Edited By korolev

It depends on what you are studying and why you are studying it. As a general rule, if you're not enthusiastic about what you are studying, you should drop it. You should want to learn what you learn for the sake of learning it, not to pass a test. If you feel that you don't want to learn what it is you're learning, or that you don't want to continue, ask yourself what reason you took the course in the first place. If that reason still resonates with you, stick with it. If it doesn't, drop it and consider something else you are interested in. Don't make the same mistake my brother did - two degrees (dual) in fields he had no interest in. He performed poorly, took 3 years more than he should have to graduate and doesn't want to work in a field that requires those degrees.

Taking a break can be useful - I took a year long break between finishing up my Masters and doing Medicine. The sheer boredom of that break reinvigorated me to study.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

Remember what Woody Allen said - "Eighty percent of success is showing up."

Had I to guess, the only way to absolutely fail a community college course is to mix terrible performance with terrible attendance. I went to community college in Chicago, and Holy Christ people were given passing grades that probably shouldn't have gotten them - simply because they came to every class. I would say that telling someone (especially an employer) that you graduated college is not indicative of what you may have learned, but rather shows that you can take shitfrom superiors. That is all college proves. Sure, there's a good chance you'll also have gained a base understanding of grammar and some critical thinking, but really, who gives a shit. It mostly proves that you managed to adhere to someone else's schedule and rules for an extended period of time.

Once you roll into a major and begin hitting the upper 300 level classes, it gets a little different. If you pursue work along the path of your degree, then of course it matters. However, if you get a job in business with a liberal arts degree (as lots of people have) all your degree proves is your ability to follow rules.

So I say no - bite the bullet and plow through those CC courses. If you attempt to transfer to a four year school, they will notice your failing grades followed by a drop-out period and could use it to deny you admission. If you're worried about failing classes - remember Woody Allen.

legendlexicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By legendlexicon

College isn't going to do you good if you don't have a high amount of interest in what you are studying. If you want some motivation, or to see what happens when people combine high amounts of passion with dedication, check out some TED talks. They are good for seeing 15 mins into someone's dreams, and seeing if you care about it all.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I"m not sure how relevant this is, but I also have a crazy idea of learning a foreign language and then teaching English in the country where they speak that language. So I guess there's that.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SSully

@InfiniteGeass said:

I do have a part time job right now that would keep me busy if I did take a semester off.

@SSully said:

That's a very risky thing when I'm having to pay for school out of pocket.

Yes but my point is you dont want to stop going to school if you dont have a full time job or some kind of game plan. If you don't then you have a high risk of just doing a lot of nothing. Sit around and play video games all day, smoke lots of pot, or anything else that will not help you progress in life.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Lunar_Aura

This might get a little long so bear with me.

Hoh boy where do we start. Your situation reminds me so much of my fresh, straight outta high school self. In my early academic career spanning 2 years, I failed 8 out of 9 classes just from limited or no attendance. Many other classes I actively dropped for no grade. 4 years and a smattering of part-time and full-time jobs later, I came back to correct all the F grades and turned into an A student on my own dime. After getting my 2 year degree, I transfered to a 4 year university and just recently left. I have three semesters left to complete my Bachelor's in Management Information Systems.

But you know what? It's unlikely that I'll be coming back to complete it. The value of the degree doesn't outweigh the expenses incurred to obtain it. Additionally, I've outgrown the environment dominated by 18-26 year old kids. I can't relate to any of them anymore. Recently, I took up becoming self-employed.

So what does this have to do with you? I'll give it to you straight.

You're young. If you just wanna dick around, guess what? You can afford to! Go play videogames and smoke all day. Go "find yourself". Take a semester off. Hell, do like I did and take an 8 semester break! But somebody here already mentioned that you can more effectively find what you want to do by exploring all your options rather than limiting yourself to either college or not-college.

You also mentioned that you like videogames, but aren't much of an artist or motivated in getting a CS degree to program games. Well, when was the last time you've beaten a game to see the credits roll? Last I checked, it didn't just list the artists and programmers. There are way more jobs relevant to the gaming industry than that! Project manager, community manager, writer, mocap guy just to name a few. Look at what you may be interested in and do your research.

Ask yourself "If I could do something right now for free, what would I do?" Your answer will be the career you work towards. If you answer "play videogames all day", then you can be a tester or QA lead. If you answer "nothing", you can be like me and be a day trader! Yes, you'll come along some restrictions, but at least you'll have an idea of what you want to do with your life.

Just remember, you're not young forever. Regret is the bitch that catches up when one is least aware.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Just thought I'd bump this to say that I've made the decision to take a break this semester and figure out what the fuck I want to do. Using money on something I'm unsure of is pointless and too risky for my taste. I'll most likely return next spring semester with some idea or perhaps I'll find something else. Thank you everyone for all of your input.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By Justin258

@InfiniteGeass said:

Just thought I'd bump this to say that I've made the decision to take a break this semester and figure out what the fuck I want to do. Using money on something I'm unsure of is pointless and too risky for my taste. I'll most likely return next spring semester with some idea or perhaps I'll find something else. Thank you everyone for all of your input.

Hope you do well, duder.

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Moreau_MD

Sure. It's a community college so it's basically fucking useless anyway :3

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@GnomeonFire: There is something alluring to the manly manual labour type of job.

Anyway sounds like OP needs a break. Clear your head!

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you take a break, you probably won't be back until you're in a dead end job in ten years and wish you'd finished school. Then you will go back and take night classes and kill yourself trying to finish up your degree. At least that's my personal experience and the experience of other people I know in this situation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Do you have any classes with that wacky study group? 

Duskwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Duskwind

Take some time off if you must. I know this is gonna be easier said than done, but eventually you'll need to get your shit together, pick something, and pursue it. You ain't getting any younger.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I came in here ready to tell you that taking breaks usually does more harm than good, but you're doing enough harm just by continuing your education without putting any effort into it. So you don't know what you want to do (which is always a bullshit excuse, deep down you KNOW what you want to do), at the community college level there are still plenty of opportunities to change into a different field down the line. For now, I'd say take either stop going to community college altogether and (briefly) figure your shit out, then go to a four year university (I wouldn't mention your community college experience, just pretend that you never went to community college. Seriously) and try out something you think is interesting, OR continue on your course of bullshitting through community college and end up regretting it in the end. For now, pick something, ANYTHING that you are even remotely interested in and try it out. You never know what will really click with you. I'm not trying to sound accusatory or condescending, I'm just giving my opinion based on the information you provided.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Itwastuesday

I hit a similar kind of thought process over a year ago when I finished my first year of CC. After doing poorly in that first year, I took inventory in my life and really figured out what I want to do (Although I never outright quit going to school, I figured it out in the summer break between years 1 and 2). In my second year I did much better and now I am on a stable path of progress to get my degree. I hope you figure out your situation, OP! If you really figure out what you're in school for, I'm sure you can recover from a low GPA from your first year (though the feeling of paying again to take a class you already failed pretty much sucks!).

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fallen189

If you're anything like you are on the forum, you're such a weepy stick in the mud. I dont think youre ready for education because you seem incredibly immature. Find out what you're all about, then think about going back

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By FancySoapsMan

just make sure you don't waste the time you take off