Should the U.S. intervene in the Ukraine situation?

LD50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should the U.S. intervene in the Ukraine situation? (369 votes)

Yes 12%
No 69%
Undecided 20%

Sup Duders.

I was discussing the Ukraine with some friends today, and I'd like to get your opinion on some things.

First, of course, is the poll. Here's a recent Pew poll that seems to represent the mood of the nation:

Source

Second, is the latest Executive Order to come out of Washington. It has to do with what is now a national emergency, as stated by Mr. Obama:

"Executive Order -- Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine

All property and interests in property that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of any United States person (including any foreign branch) of the following persons are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in: any person determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Secretary of State:

(i) to be responsible for or complicit in, or to have engaged in, directly or indirectly, any of the following:

(A) actions or policies that undermine democratic processes or institutions in Ukraine;

(B) actions or policies that threaten the peace, security, stability, sovereignty, or territorial integrity of Ukraine; or

(C) misappropriation of state assets of Ukraine or of an economically significant entity in Ukraine"

Source

It seems to me that it has to do with the run up to the sanctions the U.S. is about to place on Russia. This is going to happen Monday I believe. This seems like a very serious step in a bad direction. This is normally considered the last non-violent move towards what could be a military intervention. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that a war with Russia around the corner, but I don't see good things coming from this. Primarily because the U.S. really doesn't have any business in that part of the world, IMO.

That they are leaning into the confrontation so heavily makes me wonder what might be happening behind the scenes that we're unaware of, though intrinsically bound to, seeing as it's our government so determined to get involved.

Your thoughts on the E.O and the Ukraine situation in general are greatly appreciated.

•