Started to "hunt" achievments on Steam, on PC!

mace_vindu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By mace_vindu

Thats so not like me at all...

mace_vindu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mace_vindu

Thats so not like me at all...

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shiftymagician

Please add some discussion value to threads in the future as this one will likely get locked by a mod as per the forum guidelines. This would be better served as a GB or Twitter status update.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JaredA

Steam achievements still need a sound that plays when they unlock

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sanity

Yea, iv started to hate games that dont have steam achievements.... I sorely miss them when there not there.

mace_vindu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mace_vindu

yeah, PS3 has great pop up sound! totally miss that sound when playin PC...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Bollard

The PC Steam? Fuck, for a moment there I thought you meant Steam on Xbox. I'm glad you clarified that.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

@JaredA said:

Steam achievements still need a sound that plays when they unlock

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that's one good thing about Steam achievements.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By DoctorTran
@dudy80

Yea, iv started to hate games that dont have steam achievements.... I sorely miss them when there not there.

Same here, man. it's weird though, after thinking "Fuck, no Cheevos!" I get a twinge of guilt and shame.
TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TheJohn

I'm a grown-up and since the boxed copy of The Witcher 2 don't have achievements, I bought it again on Steam (during the summer sale, as if that makes it any better) solely so I'd be able to get those sweet sweet cheevos

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Pop

I haven't found any easy s-rank games on steam, you know the ones that you can do all the achievements really easily.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#11  Edited By Soap

I've been enjoying the games with way to many achievements on Steam, TF2 being the prime example, its close to 500 achievements now D:

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By Justin258

I like getting them but I don't need them to enjoy a game.

mace_vindu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mace_vindu

@believer258: they motivate u to explore the game 100%, with all easter eggs and stuff, its kinda fun actually

well, not all the time, of course...

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By veektarius

I'm not a 100%er of anything, but if I enjoy a game, after I finish it I'll glance at the achievements and see if any of them look like they'd be fun to get. Definitely added some life to both Space Marine and Sleeping Dogs for me, in recent memory. The lack of a point value (and consequently, a gamerscore equivalent) does take away from it somewhat. I always think to myself, man, if I'd been playing this on 360, I would have gotten a number for this.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

I'm started to purchase games solely based on the achievability of said cheevos. I didn't buy Binary Domain because it has some multiplayer-only achievements that I know I'll never get, but I spent thirty minutes just driving circles around the city in Sleeping Dogs to unlock an achievement.

mace_vindu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mace_vindu

@Ravenlight: nah i look at trophys only on PS3, on PC im buyin allmost everything:D

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai

Ever since I moved to PC gaming I notice that m interest level in achievements has gone down to zero. Now I just enjoy the games for the gaming sake and not some useless number. However, if that's your thing then more power to ya.

mace_vindu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mace_vindu

@mordukai: thats one way to look at things:)

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba519b6e291
deactivated-64ba519b6e291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai said:

Ever since I moved to PC gaming I notice that m interest level in achievements has gone down to zero. Now I just enjoy the games for the gaming sake and not some useless number. However, if that's your thing then more power to ya.

It is interesting how frequently this sort of number fixation ruins gaming experiences. That's not to say I dislike I achievements, personally I love them. I've never had to choose between enjoying the games for gaming sake and gaining achievements. For me achievements have always added to the experience of a game. It's always managed to breathe a little more life into a game I enjoyed that perhaps ended too soon or they've prompted me to try new game types and modes that I'd ordinarily avoid and I've ended up finding some really great surprises. But at the same time I can see how others have struggled to avoid achievement fixation by reading the many posts like yours. Perhaps you would have benefited from turning notifications off? That way you could focus on the game without being distracted with the parts you had less interest in. Either way I'm glad you got your gaming groove back!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Justin258

@mace_vindu said:

@believer258: they motivate u to explore the game 100%, with all easter eggs and stuff, its kinda fun actually

I know what they are and do, but I have never felt the need to go out of my way and get them. Now, if they gave me an actual benefit like, say, a jetpack or something, then I might go out of my way to get them. But the Xbox 360's gamerscore didn't often entice me to get achievements, and Steam's little pop ups do even less for me.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai

@JimmyStewart said:

@mordukai said:

It is interesting how frequently this sort of number fixation ruins gaming experiences. That's not to say I dislike I achievements, personally I love them. I've never had to choose between enjoying the games for gaming sake and gaining achievements. For me achievements have always added to the experience of a game. It's always managed to breathe a little more life into a game I enjoyed that perhaps ended too soon or they've prompted me to try new game types and modes that I'd ordinarily avoid and I've ended up finding some really great surprises. But at the same time I can see how others have struggled to avoid achievement fixation by reading the many posts like yours. Perhaps you would have benefited from turning notifications off? That way you could focus on the game without being distracted with the parts you had less interest in. Either way I'm glad you got your gaming groove back!

It's really up to the developer and how they implement them into the game. Take for example how Quantic Dream handled the trophies in Heavy Rain. In case you didn't play the game then the trophies notifications came only at the end of each chapter which to me in a genius way to make the player concentrate more on the game itself rather then the meta within the game.

One main issue that bothers me is that developer will just make you collect thing for the sake of collecting them and not because you want to collect them. Take a game like Uncharted vs Bioshock. Both games have you collecting item throughout the game, and both have an achievement/trophy associated with finding them all. However, where Uncharted uses it for the sake of "exploration" or for a trophy sake, Bioshock uses it to further enhance the backdrop, plot, and characters. Too bad that most developers use that "ite collection" for the sake of crossing off another meaningless trophy off the list.

Another thing that bothers me that somehow developers and publisher convinced gamers that by collecting those achievements/trophies, then you're somehow rewarded for playing the game, but in reality the gamer is not getting rewarded at all. Why not actually rewarding the player for achieving max points or succeeding in a hard task by having them get actual rewards. In game items, extra avatar items or pics, unlocking a secret feature in the game itself, and much more.

I hope that one of the things developers will improve going forward.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai

@mace_vindu said:

If a game can't make want to explore 100% of it on your own, or all the variables within the game's system then the game is not worth your time in exploring 100% of it .

I know it sounds rather cold but that's how I always felt.