The Sad State of Motorsports in America: Part 2

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By FrankCanada97

Before viewing this blog read up on my first one to get an idea of where I'm coming from.

So the 2009 IndyCar Series season has concluded, the second one since reunification and let me tell you, it was yet again a disappointment. But, first let me congratulate Scotsman Dario Franchitti for winning, well deserved. The 2009 IndyCar season was very dull. Save for two or three races, out of the seventeen. The same three guys were winning all the races, Ryan Briscoe, Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon. These drivers were part of the two powerhouse IndyCar teams, Penske Racing and Target Chip Ganassi Racing. There were very little passing even on the ovals, two races at ovals were the exemption. The rest of the field were at the mercy at the two powerhouses. Sure, the Championship lead changed 14 times over the course of the season, but it was the same three guys. The last race of the season at Homestead-Miami Speedway had the three title contenders lapping the entire field multiple times.

Have no idea what I'm talking about? Why should you? The Indy Racing League has done a piss poor job at marketing. This ranged from signing a major TV contract with VERSUS (0.3 Nielson Ratings average) to putting up billboards that said "IndyCar, Sexier than NASCAR" because we have a female driver in the series. They have also failed to sign on the bigger name drivers onto race teams. Paul Tracy only made 6 starts because he was on a transitional team that raced in the Champ Car World Series. They need guys like Paul Tracy in the series to generate enough buzz to increase their stagnant revenue. For the 2010 season, they have broken their promise of a 50/50 oval/road course schedule. The new chassis and engine package has been delayed to 2012, meaning that we are stuck with the ugly, under-performing crapwagons that have been used since 2001. It seems inevitable that the top open-wheel racing series in America is doomed. But I still have hope, if they still keep their word that they will return to 199o's era CART World Series format, they can still save themselves.

I will now show you the golden era of racing in America, back when cars were beautiful, fast and competitive.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FrankCanada97

Before viewing this blog read up on my first one to get an idea of where I'm coming from.

So the 2009 IndyCar Series season has concluded, the second one since reunification and let me tell you, it was yet again a disappointment. But, first let me congratulate Scotsman Dario Franchitti for winning, well deserved. The 2009 IndyCar season was very dull. Save for two or three races, out of the seventeen. The same three guys were winning all the races, Ryan Briscoe, Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon. These drivers were part of the two powerhouse IndyCar teams, Penske Racing and Target Chip Ganassi Racing. There were very little passing even on the ovals, two races at ovals were the exemption. The rest of the field were at the mercy at the two powerhouses. Sure, the Championship lead changed 14 times over the course of the season, but it was the same three guys. The last race of the season at Homestead-Miami Speedway had the three title contenders lapping the entire field multiple times.

Have no idea what I'm talking about? Why should you? The Indy Racing League has done a piss poor job at marketing. This ranged from signing a major TV contract with VERSUS (0.3 Nielson Ratings average) to putting up billboards that said "IndyCar, Sexier than NASCAR" because we have a female driver in the series. They have also failed to sign on the bigger name drivers onto race teams. Paul Tracy only made 6 starts because he was on a transitional team that raced in the Champ Car World Series. They need guys like Paul Tracy in the series to generate enough buzz to increase their stagnant revenue. For the 2010 season, they have broken their promise of a 50/50 oval/road course schedule. The new chassis and engine package has been delayed to 2012, meaning that we are stuck with the ugly, under-performing crapwagons that have been used since 2001. It seems inevitable that the top open-wheel racing series in America is doomed. But I still have hope, if they still keep their word that they will return to 199o's era CART World Series format, they can still save themselves.

I will now show you the golden era of racing in America, back when cars were beautiful, fast and competitive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

That was a great race, However you can't deny that after Zanardi's crash and Greg Moore's crash changes need to be made. Personally I have enjoyed this year's IRL. The biggest problem is the lack of competition but there have been some great races. I think it's ironic that in the series that George wanted to be more American the top 4 drivers weren't American. It says a lot about grass roots series in America, I doubt Karting for youngsters is anywhere near as popular as it is in Europe. If the IRL wants to be a more popular series it needs to get international like Champ Car was trying to. For the 2008 season Champ car had races in Spain, Belgium, Australia and Holland at some of the best race tracks in the world, It's a crying shame it never went ahead. If the IRL did this it would attract much more attention internationally, especially as the majority of drivers aren't American now. 

For me the best American racing series is the ALMS. They go to the best tracks in America with brilliant machines, it's a shame Peugeot and Audi weren't in it this year. The International LMS is all right, but most of the tracks they do are boring, Shanghai, Algarve etc. I'd much rather watch a race at Sebring, Laguna or road Atlanta than these new tracks.  

At the end of the day if you want to see quality racing you should watch international racing series such as MotoGP or F1. Nothing comes close to those two.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By crunchUK

MEanwhile in the rest of the world Jenson Button is F1 world champion (and it was a seriously awesome race particularly in the first 20 or so laps). Besides in america you can't seem to handle more than a big wide oval. fun, fun, fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crunchUK said:
" MEanwhile in the rest of the world Jenson Button is F1 world champion (and it was a seriously awesome race particularly in the first 20 or so laps). Besides in america you can't seem to handle more than a big wide oval. fun, fun, fun. "

I disagree with you, American Motorsport Flourishes at circuit tracks. But as with most things in America they seem to enjoy doing things that were invented in America (or atleast popularised) most, such as Oval racing, American football etc. 
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

I know it's a different race but JENSON BUTTON FTW!

That aside, I do wish Indy racing is bigger in America since it's more exciting then NASCAR. You don't watch the Le Mans 24 hours do you?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eroticfishcake said:
" I know it's a different race but JENSEN BUTTON FTW! "
Jenson with an O.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
@zudthespud: Fixed.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FrankCanada97
@crunchUK said:

" MEanwhile in the rest of the world Jenson Button is F1 world champion (and it was a seriously awesome race particularly in the first 20 or so laps). Besides in america you can't seem to handle more than a big wide oval. fun, fun, fun. "

Don't you dare think that NASCRAP is representative of American motorsports fans.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FrankCanada97
@eroticfishcake said:
" I know it's a different race but JENSON BUTTON FTW!  That aside, I do wish Indy racing is bigger in America since it's more exciting then NASCAR. You don't watch the Le Mans 24 hours do you? "
I try to, unfortunately I don't have SPEED and the 24 hours of Le Mans is scheduled so that I end up missing the beginning and the end.
Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I don't know shit about cars, just thought I'd point that out. My dad does though!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FrankCanada97
@zudthespud: It may interest you to know that Tony George stepped down from whatever position he had in the IRL board of directors.
ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ethan
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
" I know it's a different race but JENSON BUTTON FTW!  That aside, I do wish Indy racing is bigger in America since it's more exciting then NASCAR. You don't watch the Le Mans 24 hours do you? "
I try to, unfortunately I don't have SPEED and the 24 hours of Le Mans is scheduled so that I end up missing the beginning and the end. "
I dont have SPEED either.  Dunno why we cant have IRL/CART/F1 on normal stations.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FrankCanada97
@ethan: Those were on the major broadcast stations, but in regards to the IRL, somebody thought it was a good idea to get away from an ABC deal and sign a ten-year deal on VERSUS.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By eroticfishcake

Oh man, you don't know what you're missing. It's not as good as it used to be in like say, when they're were using C-Class cars but it's still great fun to watch. What about the WRC, you watch that?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FrankCanada97
@eroticfishcake: I can appreciate good rally racing, but it's not exactly marketed very well over here if not at all. The only part of WRC I'm able to see are highlights of races in a television program.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @eroticfishcake: I can appreciate good rally racing, but it's not exactly marketed very well over here if not at all. The only part of WRC I'm able to see are highlights of races in a television program. "
Huh. Americans really like their NASCAR above everything else don't they? Don't tell me they prefer monster trucks over them as well.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FrankCanada97
@eroticfishcake: Drag racing seems to get the second most exposure. >_>
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By eroticfishcake
@FrankCanada97: Ah yes. I forgot they like straight lines...I don't think I can take this anymore. All speed, no corners! It's a wonder why most American cars handle like a bag of tits...
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By mracoon

I can't believe people like watching cars go round and round in an oval. Even though F1 might be a bit long at least the track aren't just ovals and actually have a lot of difficult corners and bends.

Also I think there is an American team entering F1 next year so I wonder how they'll do. F1's always been more popular here in Europe then in the US.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FrankCanada97
@mracoon: That was the beauty of the CART World Series, a mix of ovals and roadcourses. Plus, in roadcourse races, the race wasn't decided after 5 laps. :P

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By mracoon
@FrankCanada97: I might have agreed with you 3 seasons ago but recently things have become much more close. Who expected Brawn, a completely new team, to win in their first season over the likes of Ferrari and McLaren. Even last race the lead changed hands several times until Webber kept thing under control.

I think next season going to be even more exciting with the addition of some new teams and new drivers.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FrankCanada97
@mracoon: That American team you're talking about won't truly be American. They have said in the past that they wanted American drivers, but now they are seeking a driver who has had previous F1 experience. Yeah, next season looks to be exciting, Cosworth is making a return in the form of three teams, we'll see how that turns out.
SikhCuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SikhCuz

the only motorsport i like is V8 Supercars and NASCAR

V8 Supercars is Australian and in NASCAR there is an Australian NASCAR driver. Ever heard of Marcos Ambrose?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FrankCanada97
@SikhCuz: Yes, I've heard of him, came over from the V8 Supercars. Have you heard of the Australian Will Power? He is a current IndyCar driver from the former Champ Car series and just signed on with the powerhouse team Team Penske (a major accomplishment in its own right).