The Soccer Thread (Newcastle takeover. For real, this time.)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Forgot the Europa League finishes tonight. Dnipro vs Sevilla. The Ukrainian side looking to follow in Donetsk's footsteps whilst Sevilla look to defend their title and win it for the 4th time in a decade.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: yeah, it seems like he's gonna be re-elected instead. >_<

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#205  Edited By Bollard

@monkeyman04 said:

@bollard: yeah, it seems like he's gonna be re-elected instead. >_<

When the other candidate is legitimately called "Prince Ali" I'm not even sure who is worse.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I, for one, am shocked. Next you'll tell me awarding the World Cup to an obscure-ass country with 120-degree Summer temperatures was not on the up-and-up.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Shindig

This all broke as I was heading out to work. I didn't hold out much hope but the idea that the FBI and their 85% conviction rate is behind this makes it all the better.

If you've got 12 men sweating on a 20 year sentence, they'll name names and produce the papers to prove it.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bollard:Definitely seems like the top men of the organization managed to avoid this. Shame.

Also kudos to whoever came up with "Bribe and Prejudice".

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*smug grin*

I dunno. I still think shit from this can defy gravity and roll uphill. If nothing else, its a scandal which places FIFA squarely in the land of negative publicity and tarnished reputations. And the idea that this has been going on for 20 years implies some young upstarts who are now higher-ups could be seen as targets.

Whilst it may not explicitly change how corporate business tends to be done, it might change how its worded or presented in black and white. I.e. "Qatar presented the best bid. They clearly have the infrastructure to present a World Cup and none of these venues will go unused for years to come."

Look up the trailer for United Passions. There's so many companies involved from ball manufacturers to event sponsors and its been prevelant since the 1970s at least.

mmmmspaghetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By mmmmspaghetti

@shindig said:

Forgot the Europa League finishes tonight. Dnipro vs Sevilla. The Ukrainian side looking to follow in Donetsk's footsteps whilst Sevilla look to defend their title and win it for the 4th time in a decade.

This was actually a pretty great match. Usually Europa League is a huge slog but this was a pretty cracking final.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Apparently Blatter will get voted in purely from the Asian, African and South American football associations. If he does actually win after these revelations, Europe will have to strongly consider its position in FIFA.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#212  Edited By DocHaus

Don't worry, the US DOJ will produce a fair and just prosecution of FIFA, as we're the biggest country to not give a shit about soccer. Like I said before though, pretty sure Blatter's still going to be head-honcho/Bond-villain of FIFA when all's said and done.

In more-local news, DCU's lineup currently missing almost everyone capable of scoring a goal on the other team's keeper. On top of that they're forced to play games both on weekends and mid-week from now 'til Independence Day due to funky MLS and USOC scheduling. This is not going to be a fun 1.5 months for the Black and Red.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

He's actually wearing a necklace made from money.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, he did it. Thanks, Africa.

Today sees Arsenal and Aston Villa contest the 143rd FA Cup Final. To all intents and purposes, this is Soccer's Superbowl. The game itself kicks off at 5:30pm but build-up (on TV at least) begins at 8:30am.

1. FA Cup Rewind: Classic Finals (8:30am - BBC Two)
  2. MoTD Kickabout: FA Cup Final (9:30am - BBC Two)
  3. FA Cup's 50 Greatest Moments (10:00am - BBC Two)
  4. Football Focus (12:10pm - BBC One)
  5. Gary Linekar on the Road to FA Cup Glory (1:00pm - BBC One)
  6. ToP2: FA Cup (2:05pm - BBC One)
  7. FA Cup: The Road to Wembley (3:25pm - BBC One)
  8. MoTD Live: FA Cup Final Build-up (3:55pm - BBC One)
  9. MoTD Live: Fa Cup Final 5:15pm (BBC One)

There's like a gap for an episode of Pointless but its otherwise uninterrupted. Arsenal seek their 12th FA Cup whilst Aston Villa seek their 8th. Two of the nation's oldest clubs meet for the first time in a Final. Arsene Wenger aims for his 6th cup victory whilst Tim Sherwood is after his first silverware in management. Form should dictate an Arsenal victory but Hull ran them awfully close last season.

Should be good.

Loading Video...

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow! This whole situation is incredible. Hopefully this leads to some reform for FIFA.

WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That motherf'er wouldn't have resigned of his own free will in a million years. I'd imagine he was "encouraged".

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That motherf'er wouldn't have resigned of his own free will in a million years. I'd imagine he was "encouraged".

He took the money and ran.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#219  Edited By Sterling

Here is to hoping EA adds all this into 16.

WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: I'd like to think that Blatter knows he is going to trial, so has been told to step down before whatever they have on him goes public, but that's just wishful thinking - most likely the corporate sponsors put heavy pressure on FIFA for him to resign.
Platini is probably the favourite to replace him. Who also voted for the world cup in Qatar. Meet the new boss, etc.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@gregorygold: Wonder if Blatter might be thinking of escaping extradition by skipping town when nobody's looking. Who would try him? Switzerland or another country?

Wow there's talks that 2022 Qatar might get re-voted... sucks for all those workers who died trying to build that stadium.

WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: I doubt it. He's too old and too public. Whatever he has done wrong, I don't expect him to ever face trial for it, he was the top of the food chain. I guess if the FBI had anything on him, they'd have got to him before the election. Unless his buddies are currently rolling on him!
Have to take some solace in the fact that at least he has been forced to resign. All this acting noble bullshit is quite tiresome, already, though.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As the biggest figure in this he could turn a serious whistleblower. Resigning ensures he never has to come into contact with the fellas he fingers. As for a revote on Qatar, I imagine sponsors, the Qatari government, contractors, etc... will have some say in that. It's definitely been a forced resignation. You don't give a 90-page speech proclaiming yourself 'president of everyone' and then resign days later.

bhizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By WalterCrunkFite

@shindig: It's more likely he's going to be the one getting fingered.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, so FIFA paid the Irish off not to sue over Theirry Henry's handball in a crucial World Cup play-off that wasn't spotted by the referee. Firstly, you shouldn't pay someone off for that. Its a decision made by a referee in a sporting context. Tough luck. If the aggrieved plan to sue, just counter them legally. That would never have got to court but now you're out of pocket.

This has the potential to overshadow the Champions' League final at this rate. Juventus taking on Barcelona 30 years after the Heysel disaster.

Loading Video...

A group of Liverpool fans broke past the segregation and charged Juventus fans towards a concrete wall which collapsed, killing 39 fans. The match was fairly inconsequential but Michel Platini's penalty secured a 1-0 win as they became the first club to win all three of Europe's major competitions. It was their first European Cup success. Barely a decade later, their second arrived via penalties after a 1-1 draw with Ajax. It surprises me their continental success is so sparse when compared to their domestic triumphs.

Barcelona are chasing their fourth title in the space of a decade which, somewhat surprisingly is their fifth overall. I got so used to their dominance I forgot they tend to get outfoxed in the semi-finals. They remain the bookies favourites with both clubs aiming for the league, cup and Champions' League treble.

It will be Xavi Hernandez's final game for Barca whist Luis Suarez lines up against the man he tried to eat and the man he racially abused.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#228  Edited By notnert427

Huge result for an undermanned USMNT to beat Oranje in their house today. It was a sloppy defensive effort from both sides, and for a bit it looked like the Dutch were going to run away with it, but the US fought back for an improbable 4-3 win. What a game.

USA! USA! USA!

s80007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: I keep watching every Barcelona match hoping that Suarez just might. But I do believe the commentators will have a fun time. Btw, expect Barca to win?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@s80007: Yeah. They're too strong in the midfield which will neuter any chance for Pirlo to influence the game. Chielini is unfortunately out injured so Suarez will have to find someone else to bite. I'd love the Italians to make a game of it, mind.

@monkeyman04: Newcastle are heading to Portland next month. Dunno what kind of team we'll send over there mind.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ended up signing up for the fox sports soccer 2 go. I can watch every game from any league live or on replay (for a short time). Any competition. This is great. Its $20 a month. As someone who recently got rid of satellite TV, this is fantastic. I've sitting here watching the stadium fill for the last 20 minutes. Hoping this is a good match, and not a one sided event.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sterling: You can even watch Bundeliga and La Liga games?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Shindig

As soon as F1 quali finishes I'm switching over to the Champions' League and then following that with the Women's World Cup opener. Football never ends.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Sterling

@twigger89: Bundesliga yes, but I am not seeing La Liga. Currently the info is dominated by the Women's world cup, U20 world cup, rugby and European qualifiers. Outside of that I am not finding much more info. But Bundesliga logo is on their competition list. http://www.foxsoccer2go.com/competitions However the wording when I signed up lead me to believe that all games were available to watch on replay, but not all live. So I would assume that maybe La Liga games can be watched the following day, just not live. I'm probably wrong through.

I say that about La Liga, because they don't list MLS on that page, but they are on my schedule of games I can watch. That and replays of EPL games.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#235  Edited By Sessh

So, any bets on Juve vs. Barca?

I somehow think this is going to overtime and will probably end with Barca winning.

edit: Then again overtime might be asking much. Well played goal right at the get-go.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beautiful first goal.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a murder.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And now its a game.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah, Juventus back in the game. Wonder how Barcelona will react.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Toothy git.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dislike Suarez. I hope Juventus can level it again.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suarez sucks, but it was 95% Messi's goal anyway.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Juve's heads have popped.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, how is that handball?

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: He headed onto his own hand, which changed the balls direction. Not intentional, but also not a goal.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't get a great replay of it, I didn't see it hit his hand, but they just showed it, and I see it now.

Also this is getting chippy.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, good second half. The result I'm sure most everyone expected. Was expecting a Messi goal however.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deserved win and a fun ending with that Neymar goal.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was an entertaining game.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers