The Woes of an Intern Video Game Reviewer & the First Assignment

Alyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Alyse

I'm not even a hardcore game player. How did this happen to me? I met an editor of a very small game review website and he offered me an opportunity. No pay, but free games. Sounded good.  

And thus, a new video game reviewer has entered the industry (and my husband is so jealous) and I'm learning the ins and outs of story, gameplay, graphics, overall feel, history, oh it's overwhelming.

And the worst part... I got my first assignment. A free game that's coming out for download later this week. A free game? Oh, and a terrible game at that. I could barely make it through the game, it was so mundane to me. I can see how its target audience will love the game, and that's fine. I actually don't hate it after researching it more and playing the games it's modeled after.

The light is at the end of the tunnel, though I can't see it. It must be very far away. I'm a "glass not empty" kind of person. Optimistic, but barely so.

Mostly I'm doing this because when I get off work I am unbearably bored. Most days I muddle around on Facebook games while watching reruns of Law and Order. At least this gives me something to do after work. I'm also very interested to see exactly how far this will go. Will I end up covering E3 for a more major gaming website one day? Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No.

But I need words of encouragement, stories of success. How long did it take for other game reviewers to "make it big?" I'd consider getting paid anything at all as the equivalent for making it big right now.

Tell me your stories. If you don't have one, tell me another person's story. Right now, not getting paid for the seemingly wasted hours of researching, playing, and writing about that game feels barely worth it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, you're not even a gamer and you got this internship? Damn it! Eh, I consider myself experienced, so let me link you to my horror stories: bam, here, done. Wait, I haven't finished that last one yet :P.

Alyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Alyse

Haha, well the story goes:

I got a stage 3 (or whatever the doctor called it) sprain from playing No More Heroes 2. I don't care to delve into details, it was the final boss, and I was very immersed in the gameplay.

So when I met the editor of this site, I was on crutches with an ace bandage wrapped around my foot, and my toes purple. When he heard I got hurt fighting the final boss of a video game, he assumed that I had made it to the final boss (actually I was just being a brat and beating the game after my husband had put all that time into it). He also assumed I was a hardcore gamer. I'm not bad at games, I love games with puzzles. Zelda, Professor Layton, heck, even Henry Hatsworth are games I was relatively good at. I also enjoy writing. So I accepted this internship of sorts.

I like your writings. :) You really type what you want to say. No holding back makes for a great review, imo.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Bobdaman18

I once did a guest spot on a friend's video game podcast but i was rubbish.   

Its great that you're living the dream, even if its at a limited (unpaid) capacity. 

If you don't mind me asking, whats your day job, hold old are you, and would you actually ever consider following this field full time based on your experiences?  Sounds like at the very least you're getting some interesting experiences out of it.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Alyse: 

Keep in mind that those are the crap games, where of course I have a lot to say about a game. Sometimes, I do leave stuff out, but only because I couldn't think of a way to fit it in.
Alyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Alyse
@Bobdaman18: 
I don't mind your asking at all. I'm only 21, right now my day job is taking inbound sales calls for a cable company, which is awesome. People only call me when they want cable, not when they hate it. XD

If the opportunity arises, yes, I will definitely review games full time, but only if it would pay enough to support my extremely modest lifestyle. I'm going to keep doing this as long as I can. I'd like to see how far it goes. I seem to get a lot of opportunities. Good stuff kind of just happens to me.

(I say it's because whenever I make a wish, I wish for something obvious, so I build up good fortune. I wish that Giant Bomb still exists in three seconds. Ding~ more good fortune to me.)

@Video_Game_King:
I empathize with not being able to find a way to fit stuff in... There's a lot I feel like I'm leaving out of this review I'm doing.
Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bobdaman18

Well i'd say good luck but it seems you're confident things are going to go your way. 

I hope you get to work your way up and become one of the elite few female video game writers that catches a break because of your talent instead of because they just need a girl to get the clicks... 

Alyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Alyse
@Bobdaman18: I will never be an Olivia Munn. Never ever, haha! Or a ditsy epic-for-the-win girl. XD
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

I wrote for BonusStage.com for the entirety of the site's run, as well as held the Editor-In-Chief position for a year and a half.  I know how you feel. 

Reviewing shitty games comes with the territory, and I've reviewed PLENTY of them in my time.  You ever played Chicago Enforcer?  What about Beat Down: Fists of Vengeance?  I mean, literally, I've reviewed some TERRIBLE games. 

I'll tell you this right now:  you will come to hate video games.  You'll still love the shit out of them, but all the news coming in about them and the amount of games you'll have to play and your inability to go back and play games that you'd like to play...can be fucking tiring.  I got to the point of hating games, and I had to just stop.  Luckily, things went sour with the owner of BonusStage, and it shut down.  It was a blessing in disguise.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By EpicSteve

Well I joined the Army to pay for my college so I can get a real game journalism job, and been working towards my career goal for the last three years. Sooooo that's my story.

Jenny101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jenny101
@EpicSteve said:
" Well I joined the Army to pay for my college so I can get a real game journalism job, and been working towards my career goal for the last three years. Sooooo that's my story. "
yea, me and steve went to San Francisco together to link up with Ign and GiantBomb so he can get educated on the job he wants. Its a little extreme hes going to war for a chance to get a job, but its what he wants and hopefully it works out.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By crusader8463

I'm happy for you and all, but at the same time hearing stories like this piss me of a lot. There are thousands upon thousands of die hard video game fan's who work their asses off just hoping to find an opportunity to even attempt working at a level your at, but will never get the chance to, while you just stumbled upon the job and prance around like it's no big deal and say things along the lines of "Gee golly wiz! I don't even like games, but isn't this neat-0-keen that I get to do it? Tee Hee Hee!". 

Again, I don't mean it as an insult to you personally as you got the job and some one else didn't, that's life, but it just pisses me off that things like this can happen to people who don't even care about the job while so many people can work their whole lives and never get an opportunity like the one you have. And you don't appear to even care about it beyond the point of "Isn't it neat that I'm doing this!" Gah! It can drive a person nuts some times.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RankRabbit

Soooo, where will your reviews be featured? 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@crusader8463: She's not even getting payed; she's just receiving games for free.  I'm not sure if there's much opportunity there other than being able to put this experience up on a résumé for a future job. 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EpicSteve
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @crusader8463: She's no even getting payed; she's just receiving games for free.  I'm not sure if there's much opportunity there other than being able to put this experience up on a résumé for a future job.  "

Exactly. She's just working for free for a random fan blog ran by some college kid wanting to "make it" most likely. The way she words her topic title implies it's a bigger deal than it actually is. No one gets hired (or at least should) by a publication without really wanting it. If this girl was hired by say Ign, Kotaku, or Destructiod I would be shocked and very sad. Based on what she's said thus far, she's no more of a reviewer than I am.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crusader8463
@FluxWaveZ: That's the point. Even reaching the level of getting to keep the games is like being in the minor leagues for some kind of sport. So when you do apply for a real job at one of the major sites it shows that you have some kind of experience with working in that field and are not just one of the million bloggers out there trying to get the same job. Helps ya stand out from the pack.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@crusader8463: True, but the op didn't clarify just how important this small gaming site is.  It could just be a few bloggers and the one who owns the blog decides to buy crappy games for the others to review (unlikely, but hey).  But you're right, experience in the field could prove profitable for future endeavors, unless this experience wasn't significant in the least.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EpicSteve
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @crusader8463: True, but the op didn't clarify just how important this small gaming site is.  It could just be a few bloggers and the one who owns the blog decides to buy crappy games for the others to review (unlikely, but hey).  But you're right, experience in the field could prove profitable for future endeavors, unless this experience wasn't significant in the least. "
Or she's in the GiantBomb office right now behind a computer laughing her ass off at us.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

No link. Don't know. Nonetheless... Like Nike, just do it. I love video games have been pursuing writing in a journalistic level. After taking some classes and a newspaper team at my college, there are shit that's hard and personally uninteresting but you still go for it.

Shit might take a while but good experience will pay off. Also, AP STYLE IS A SAVIOR.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By George_Hukas
@Alyse: Why the urge to "make it big" so bad being such an admitted casual gamer?

Just pray you were hired for your interest in gaming not for some "we need a girl on this review site" political reason.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crusader8463
@EpicSteve:  Most likely. Like I said in my origional post it was just something that bothers me. I have seen it happen a few times and it always drives me nuts when it happens. I have even heard in some podcasts people talking like that about their job working at a major site like 1up.com and it always drove me nuts just thinking that there are these people just doing it for the luls, for lack of a better term, when there are so many people who would kill for the same job and never even get a chance.
Alyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alyse
@Jenny101 said:
" @EpicSteve sa;fid:
" Well I joined the Army to pay for my college so I can get a real game journalism job, and been working towards my career goal for the last three years. Sooooo that's my story. "
yea, me and steve went to San Francisco together to link up with Ign and GiantBomb so he can get educated on the job he wants. Its a little extreme hes going to war for a chance to get a job, but its what he wants and hopefully it works out. "
I truly do wish him the best!! :D You too!!

@crusader8463 said:
" I'm happy for you and all, but at the same time hearing stories like this piss me of a lot. There are thousands upon thousands of die hard video game fan's who work their asses off just hoping to find an opportunity to even attempt working at a level your at, but will never get the chance to, while you just stumbled upon the job and prance around like it's no big deal and say things along the lines of "Gee golly wiz! I don't even like games, but isn't this neat-0-keen that I get to do it? Tee Hee Hee!".   Again, I don't mean it as an insult to you personally as you got the job and some one else didn't, that's life, but it just pisses me off that things like this can happen to people who don't even care about the job while so many people can work their whole lives and never get an opportunity like the one you have. And you don't appear to even care about it beyond the point of "Isn't it neat that I'm doing this!" Gah! It can drive a person nuts some times. "
Good sir, I will NEVER understand the hostility on this site. It's not that I DON'T want to be a game reviewer. I do like video games, and I absolutely LOVE the industry. I have followed the gaming industry for years. Just because I'm not amazing at games doesn't make me ill qualified to step into the industry. Find a site out there that is not a huge review site and ask for the opportunity. Submit some reviews you've written and see how it goes. You complain about not being able to do this, but exactly how hard have you tried? It's not my fault that good shit just happens to me, it just does.

@RankRabbit:
It's an Aussie game review site, ImpulseGamer.com. Like I said, a very small gig.

@EpicSteve said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" @crusader8463: True, but the op didn't clarify just how important this small gaming site is.  It could just be a few bloggers and the one who owns the blog decides to buy crappy games for the others to review (unlikely, but hey).  But you're right, experience in the field could prove profitable for future endeavors, unless this experience wasn't significant in the least. "
Or she's in the GiantBomb office right now behind a computer laughing her ass off at us. "
Or she wishes. ;D

@cide said:
" @Alyse: Why the urge to "make it big" so bad being such an admitted casual gamer? Just pray you were hired for your interest in gaming not for some "we need a girl on this review site" political reason. "
I am hoping that it's not the "girl" effect. :D I love the industry, although I'm not a great gamer. xD I'm good at writing about things. I reviewed teen books for a while, when I was a teen on a blog that went belly up. It wasn't my fault, I swear. XD HAHA!
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By schizogony

I imagine being a video game reviewer to be the single worst job on earth.  I mean, nobody reads what you write (we only look at the score) AND you have to play crap games (or over-analyze good games).  Worst job ever.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#23  Edited By Jazz

At least you're honest about your creds. Good luck with your internship. 
@schizogony said:

" I imagine being a video game reviewer to be the single worst job on earth.  I mean, nobody reads what you write (we only look at the score) AND you have to play crap games (or over-analyze good games).  Worst job ever. "
And then you get shit for saying what you think, because you will always be wrong. I have to agree with you on this one.

I think every review site should have at least one person who doesn't view themselves as 'a hardcore gamer' whatever that means. At least then you can get the casual gamer's view on the game. I prefer reviews to have more than one viewpoint like they do in Retrogamer. Games tend to cater to specific audiences, the SFIV and Blazblue reviews here being a good example. Having someone who likes Guilty Gear over SFIV review Blazblue as a sidebar to Jeff's review would have made for a more well rounded review. Same applies to LP2. I'm not saying that either the reviews were wrong from Jeff or Brad's point of view, but thats all you're getting there. Why not add a second opinion? Sure we have user reviews, but thats really not the same thing..they don't have the same 'status' as the GB teams reviews.  
Reviews are totally subjective, but the way some people on the forums react you'd think that the GB team's opinions were Gospel. 
Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Dogma

Next year I will have been writing about video games for TEN years. I haven't got a penny out of it BUT I have have got a lot of fun out of it. Almost from the beginning have I been the Editor in Chief of the site/network (I proved myself very quick) so I have  alot of experience with this but on a lower level scale since this site ain't superbig and it's a swedish site so...yeah, it's not easy to make a living on a video games site in small Sweden without having a paper publication backing it up. 

My view on reviews are that they are a neccessary evil on game sites. We have to have them BUT they are for the most part not the most fun things you can write. The fun part is the features, editorials and other creative stuff. This site has been my great outlet for being creative in text and as time has passed it has teached me to record podcasts, edit video and doing live streaming. I love talking about games and express myself about them so this "work" fits me well but it still hard work because when you have a couple of thousand people as an audience you are "forced" to perform well and better and better. 

I really don't know where to begin or end. I have a lot of experience in the field even though I'm not having all the access an IGN or Game Informer can obtain. I have been doing it as a hobby for ten freaking years and even if it's hard work it's still fun to get repsonse and have a outlet to express myself, meet co-workers and be a part of our community. To take an example. Every two years I take a trip round Sweden just to meet memebers, viewers and listerners because it's fun to meet likeminded and take a drink with these during the evening. Last year we became around 30 people. Here is photo from that evening with mabey half the crowd. 

No Caption Provided

This is one of the perks I have found with my hobby as a game journalist. You make what you want of it. You are a writer so write and be creative to make it fun. And with todays possibilities even video and audio can help you out to express yourself. It's important to make things fresh and exciting. I could not have still been doing this if I didn't got the chance to mix things up and experiment. Congrats on the gig and I hope you enjoy it.
EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25  Edited By EnchantedEcho

I started my own website with my friends last year (www.digitalgaudium.com) , not much happened for a while but in the last few months I have made contacts in the industry and now recieve a lot of good, enjoyable games for free ( recently: Crackdown 2, Singularity and Transformers which just came in the mail today). 

I don't get paid for it but, I don't have to pay for games I want anymore the work is enjoyable for the most part, just keep at it and you will move on to better things soon. As I eventually want to become a programmer on a development team, this has become a great way to meet developers and ask them questions and stuff.  

So yeah, it might start of crappy but as long as you stick to it, it will get better.

DjTann3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By DjTann3r

Congratulations. I say it's great that you're in it and not a real hardcore gamer. Could actually make for better reviews. I don't see a lot of opinions from this "new/casual" market that everyone is apparently trying to reach out to. Not saying that you're a noob or anything. It's safe to say that everyone here is probably jealous in some way. Have fun with it!!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crusader8463
@Alyse: I too will never understand the hostility on this site. As I said in my OP I wasn't saying anything against you specifically, just voicing my annoyance at your situation. The way you wrote your OP it came off sounding like you're the type of person who plays a flash game from time to time and now you're getting free games and writing for a video game site. Even if it's just some small site with only a few page hits a month, you need to be at a certain level to be able to afford to give your reviewers free games to write for your site. There are people out there who work their entire lives to get your opportunity and you just seemed to be nonchalant about the opportunity and that you could honestly careless about the chance that you have had fall into your lap and are acting like it's just this thing you do for shits and giggles. Again that's just how your OP came across to me. Not saying that's how it is, just that from what you had posted that's how it came across to me.

As for your qualifications, I never said anything about that. You said yourself that you only play puzzle games and the like; which kind of narrows your ability to review a lot of games. Sure you can play a game that you don't like and guess at what some one who likes that genre would think of it, but that will just make your review redundant and misinformed since you have no bases of knowledge to write a review from. If you write a review for say a hardcore Strategy game like Civilization and had never played one before then why would I want to know your opinion on it when you have no bases of knowledge to talk about the game from? Sure there is a certain merit to getting someones take on a game with eyes not jaded from previous installments, or other games in the genre, but if you have never played the games before what you see as this neat and new style of game could just be the same game they released last year with little to no real improvements. Or conversely, what on the surface may look like the same game actually has ton's of small things under the hood that make the game a million times more enjoyable but that you would only notice if you played a lot of that game before. 

You even said yourself at one point in this thread that you're playing a game that you don't like but that you could see some one who does like that genre enjoying it. How do you know that? If you have never played an FPS before then to you one game is the same as another, but to some one who plays all of them they could tell you the differences between game A,B,C and D. To you what's just another FPS that looks to be as good as any of the other top tier games in the genre, since you don't play that kind of game you wouldn't really know how it compares, could in fact be is just a generic game that most people won't like.

My point being that if you don't regularly play or enjoy a certain genre of games then how can you be expected to write anything meaningful about it? That would be like getting a guy who has only used Mac's his entire life to write a review about a new Windows OS. Or some one who only watches horror movies to write a review about the newest romantic comedy. Sure they could write something decent about it, but why would I care about anything they have to say on the topic if they have no experience with it? If you don't play a large variety of genres that's fine, but tell your editor that and make sure they give you games that are in your wheel house of knowledge and not something you have never played. Then if you want to expand your knowledge of different games then attempt playing other ones and try to find some new genres to enjoy, and over time you would be more qualified to write games about them.

And no, I never complained about not being able to get a job writing reviews as I have never tried to get a job in that field. Sure if the opportunity came a long I would think about it, but I was just referring to all the people out there who are genuinely looking into this field as a life time profession. There are tons of people out there who go to college for years taking writing and journalism classes who would give body parts to get an opportunity like yours and, again, your OP came across like you where just doing it for the shits and giggles and that you really didn't care one way or another about the opportunity. I have heard some other writers who have made it big and into major places like EGM or 1up.com who like yourself never really played games, or a large variety of them, and who got this job in the industry and are just doing it because it's a job and could honestly careless if they ever played a video game in their life. While at the same time thousands of people out there are dedicating their lives to getting the same job and will never get it. It just frustrates, annoys and saddens me that stuff like this happens to people.

A bit of advice, learn to toughen up if something as innocent as my comments got you angry, because you are gonna be in for a surprise when you write a review that not a lot of people agree with. Nothing brings out the cesspool of the internet faster then a review with an unpopular opinion on something. If you want to really see some hostility then wait for that time to come and you will really see some hostility.
Alyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Alyse
@schizogony said:

" I imagine being a video game reviewer to be the single worst job on earth.  I mean, nobody reads what you write (we only look at the score) AND you have to play crap games (or over-analyze good games).  Worst job ever. "

I'm afraid of games becoming more of a chore with this too. If they do, I will definitely back down. My husband who I'd thought  was so jealous, actually said he's kind of glad that he gets to play his games and doesn't have to make a list of characters, plot, this and that. ;)

@Dogma:

That to me, counts as "making it big." Ten years and still having fun, it's worth something! Definitely very cool that you get to take trips to meet your team! :D

@EnchantedEcho:

All careers start off crappy though! :) I think that's really freaking impressive that you started the site on your own. To be honest, I wouldn't know the first thing to starting a gaming site. x_x

@DjTann3r:

Haha, I think that there are very few people out there who are casual gamers who love the gaming industry as much as I do. :) Yes, I'm very noob-ish at video games. x_x I think it's my husband. I met him waiting in line for the Wii, but I had no idea about all the inner workings of the industry until I met him. He listens to all these podcasts about sales numbers, news, and he follows all these blogs, it really got my interest! :D

@crusader8463:

Oh my. I don't think I've ever gotten a comment that was longer than the actual post. I wasn't sure I wanted to read it, but whatever, I read it.

I too will never understand the hostility on this site. As I said in my OP I wasn't saying anything against you specifically, just voicing my annoyance at your situation. The way you wrote your OP it came off sounding like you're the type of person who plays a flash game from time to time and now you're getting free games and writing for a video game site. Even if it's just some small site with only a few page hits a month, you need to be at a certain level to be able to afford to give your reviewers free games to write for your site. There are people out there who work their entire lives to get your opportunity and you just seemed to be nonchalant about the opportunity and that you could honestly careless about the chance that you have had fall into your lap and are acting like it's just this thing you do for shits and giggles. Again that's just how your OP came across to me. Not saying that's how it is, just that from what you had posted that's how it came across to me.

I wrote the blog to sound that way. I like to write with a certain attitude. Yes, I am taking this seriously, you can be sure of that! I don't know how the post was so offensive to you, but I apologize for that! Trust me, Mr. Crusader ;) I'm not the girl who's going to let this opportunity slip or take it for granted. Good shit just happens to me, but when it does, I know to be grateful.

As for your qualifications, I never said anything about that. You said yourself that you only play puzzle games and the like; which kind of narrows your ability to review a lot of games. Sure you can play a game that you don't like and guess at what some one who likes that genre would think of it, but that will just make your review redundant and misinformed since you have no bases of knowledge to write a review from. If you write a review for say a hardcore Strategy game like Civilization and had never played one before then why would I want to know your opinion on it when you have no bases of knowledge to talk about the game from? Sure there is a certain merit to getting someones take on a game with eyes not jaded from previous installments, or other games in the genre, but if you have never played the games before what you see as this neat and new style of game could just be the same game they released last year with little to no real improvements. Or conversely, what on the surface may look like the same game actually has ton's of small things under the hood that make the game a million times more enjoyable but that you would only notice if you played a lot of that game before.  

Now where did I say that puzzle games were all I played? I think that's all I'm good at, but I play lots of games. As a matter of fact, I think that I mentioned that I also use auto-aim. ;) That doesn't mean all I play are FPSs?

Ooh, Little Miss Casual Gamer knows acronyms! 

And ugh, you mentioned Civ... That Napoleon is a mother-----

Okay. Maybe it would comfort you to know that I really play games... a lot... and I play a lot of games in many different genres. I'm just not the best at finishing those games. Or being good at them. :P

You even said yourself at one point in this thread that you're playing a game that you don't like but that you could see some one who does like that genre enjoying it. How do you know that? If you have never played an FPS before then to you one game is the same as another, but to some one who plays all of them they could tell you the differences between game A,B,C and D. To you what's just another FPS that looks to be as good as any of the other top tier games in the genre, since you don't play that kind of game you wouldn't really know how it compares, could in fact be is just a generic game that most people won't like.  

HEY! I hadn't even read this paragraph before I busted out with my FPS acronym above. ;D Oh so proud of myself --

I know that someone who likes this genre would like the game because I felt that there was a lot I was missing on the game, like I was that guy in the room that didn't understand any of the inside jokes. So I went and played through the first few games in the series it's based off of.  I did research on the references the game made, and I found that I had a nostalgia for this series that I had never even played until that day. Since I took a step back, and decided to play older games to familiarize myself with the series, I was able to give it a fair, and (imo) entertaining review.

My point being that if you don't regularly play or enjoy a certain genre of games then how can you be expected to write anything meaningful about it? That would be like getting a guy who has only used Mac's his entire life to write a review about a new Windows OS. Or some one who only watches horror movies to write a review about the newest romantic comedy. Sure they could write something decent about it, but why would I care about anything they have to say on the topic if they have no experience with it? If you don't play a large variety of genres that's fine, but tell your editor that and make sure they give you games that are in your wheel house of knowledge and not something you have never played. Then if you want to expand your knowledge of different games then attempt playing other ones and try to find some new genres to enjoy, and over time you would be more qualified to write games about them.

This just goes back to the fact that I have played lots of games from lots of genres. Believe me, I know you like to think that you're an expert in my qualifications, but you're wrong about this. I can play and review a game. I can relate to the target audience, and I can give them a fair rating of how I believe they will feel about a game.

And no, I never complained about not being able to get a job writing reviews as I have never tried to get a job in that field. Sure if the opportunity came a long I would think about it, but I was just referring to all the people out there who are genuinely looking into this field as a life time profession. There are tons of people out there who go to college for years taking writing and journalism classes who would give body parts to get an opportunity like yours and, again, your OP came across like you where just doing it for the shits and giggles and that you really didn't care one way or another about the opportunity. I have heard some other writers who have made it big and into major places like EGM or 1up.com who like yourself never really played games, or a large variety of them, and who got this job in the industry and are just doing it because it's a job and could honestly careless if they ever played a video game in their life. While at the same time thousands of people out there are dedicating their lives to getting the same job and will never get it. It just frustrates, annoys and saddens me that stuff like this happens to people.  

Who does this happen to? Are all these people really, really trying to get into the industry? Are they scouring the small sites, searching and searching for an opportunity? Are they writing user reviews to get their name out there on sites like this? OR are these so-called life-long-game-industry-chasers passing up opportunities because they feel that the position is beneath them?

I think your whole six paragraph essay could be summed up in two simple sentences. What a waste of time:

1.) Don't take it for granted because lots of people work hard to achieve the level that you're at.
2.) Make sure you expand your horizons so your reviews don't become mundane or repetitive.

A bit of advice, learn to toughen up if something as innocent as my comments got you angry,

I'm not going to bother reading the rest. No, you haven't managed to make me angry, and I don't even see how you read anger in my previous reply to your comment. Did you read it? XD

Well, if you think I'm angry at you, I'm not. I think that you are way too worked up over it, as it doesn't affect you one way or the other what I do with this opportunity, but I'm not angry.
Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dylabaloo

I was thinking about getting into games reviewing for awhile but it seems too harsh and competitive of an industry, however if Giant bomb staff want to offer me a job then just email Chunkylover@hotmail.com! Good luck with your future in gaming and who knows maybe one day you'll be on the Bombcast and just don't do what She who shall not be named did to piss off this community and you'll be good.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crusader8463
@Alyse: 
  • I'm not even a hardcore game player. 
  • I can see how its target audience will love the game, and that's fine. I actually don't hate it after researching it more and playing the games it's modeled after. 
  • Most days I muddle around on Facebook games while watching reruns of Law and Order. 
  • He also assumed I was a hardcore gamer. I'm not bad at games, I love games with puzzles. Zelda, Professor Layton, heck, even Henry Hatsworth are games I was relatively good at.

After reading your OP, and a few other comments in your posts, those statements are what lead me to believe that you don't play many games. I never said you did or did not play games just that from what you wrote it sounded like you didn't play many games.You said you where the type of person who jut played the odd game from time to time and didn't take gaming very seriously beyond something to do to pass the time. Which is fine. 

I don't know why you think I'm offended in any shape way or form because I'm not. If you're lucky enough to get into a position like the one you're in good for you. Take advantage of it to the best of your abilities and use all the benefits that come with it. I was just saying that from how you had presented yourself it came off as the kind of situation as seeing a millionaire winning the lottery and walking into a homeless shelter bragging to all the homeless people about how they just got tons more money and that they don't even need it. You presented yourself as this person who doesn't even play games all that much but that you got this job writing about video games despite not really caring one way or another if you had ever been given the opportunity. That may not have been your intentions but that's how it came off as to me after reading your posts. I was just commenting on how silly it is that simply being in the right place at the right time can make things like that happen for some, while there are tons of people who will never get that chance, for one reason or another, but would kill to have it.That's all.

As for you're bit about me saying that you don't play certain games because your a girl, well I didn't say that. I said that based on what you described you only played a very limited diversity of games, and generally ones aimed at a casual market. I simply used the FPS/Strategy example because they are both big genres that people who mostly play casual games don't venture into. I don't know you from a whole in the ground and can only assume what type of games you play or have played based on what you have said in this thread. And from what you have said it did not sound like you played those kind of games.

I know that someone who likes this genre would like the game because I felt that there was a lot I was missing on the game, like I was that guy in the room that didn't understand any of the inside jokes. So I went and played through the first few games in the series it's based off of.  I did research on the references the game made, and I found that I had a nostalgia for this series that I had never even played until that day. Since I took a step back, and decided to play older games to familiarize myself with the series, I was able to give it a fair, and (imo) entertaining review.

That's good. You did the right thing given the situation you are in, but it doesn't change the fact that no matter how much research you do you can't write a very useful review of something that you don't care for. The moment that you say things like, "Well I personally didn't care for the game, but if you like that genre I guess you would like it" It makes everything you have to say about it redundant. Like my examples above. You wouldn't trust a review about a product if the person who wrote it only liked the competing product. They would ether over look things as not being problems because they are not familiar with it, or point out problems that others would over look and not have any problems with. 

You obviously did your homework and put a lot of work into the review, but as I said above, if it's for a genre you don't really care for then no matter how much your try or how much work you put into a review for it you can never write something as useful to others as the person who does enjoy that genre. Unless people know going in that that kind of game is not your cup of tea, and that you are simply talking about it from the perspective of someone coming into that genre of games with virgin eyes, then the review will not be as useful to a person reading it to decide if it's a game that they want to buy or not who isn't also in your same position of experience with that kind of game.

I'm not saying that in your exact example of what ever game they gave you that this is the case, but that in principle if any one where to write a review under those situations then that's how I feel about it.

This just goes back to the fact that I have played lots of games from lots of genres. Believe me, I know you like to think that you're an expert in my qualifications, but you're wrong about this. I can play and review a game. I can relate to the target audience, and I can give them a fair rating of how I believe they will feel about a game. 

Again, I never claimed to be an expert on you since I don't know anything about you but what you have told us in this post. And from what you had said up to that point it sounded like you didn't play many games out side of games targeted to a casual audience. Based on what little information you gave about yourself I decided to make a comment about how I felt about the kind of situation you said you found yourself in.

I'm not going to bother reading the rest. No, you haven't managed to make me angry, and I don't even see how you read anger in my previous reply to your comment. Did you read it? XD 

Well that's your loss. You are apparently angry because you have gotten very defensive in your replies and have tried to insult me in very passive aggressive ways. 

And yes, unlike you apparently, I read everything people write when they reply to my messages because if some one is passionate enough about any given topic to take the time to write a response to something I say then they have earned my attention and I will reply to their statements to the best of my abilities. Even if I disagree with every word of it. What they choose to do with how I reply is up to them.
Alyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Alyse
@crusader8463:

As for you're bit about me saying that you don't play certain games because your a girl, well I didn't say that.

I didn't say that either... ? Listen, I'm not angry, no matter how much you say I am. This blog entry really wasn't meant to be over-analyzed, but you've gone and done exactly that.

I can see where you're coming from. You don't want to read reviews from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. You'll be pleased to know that I'm not going to write a game review if I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm a very adaptable person and if I can see why someone would like something, then I can force myself to like it, too. I work for the freaking cable company, didn't I say that? ROFL! If I can force myself to love cable enough to sell it, then I can force myself to like a game genre enough to give a good review of it. ;D

I truly will take your feedback to heart as I set about on this journey of mine. It's because you're right, I should not be feeling all willynilly about this. Haha, I guess willynilly isn't a real word, I've been using that one for years... ANYWAY! I meant for this blog post to be an outlet for the frustration I felt when first starting this game. It wasn't meant to be anything more

I also think that I'm not the type of person to say, "HEY! This great thing happened to me!" I tend to downplay my success a lot, and it can come across as sounding nonchalant, and at times, bratty (I suppose, whatever, jeesh).

Believe me, I know what a big deal this can turn out to be. :) Please, let's be friendly, okay?
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crusader8463
@Alyse: I guess so... *Dramatic Music* THIS TIME!!! *Puff of Smoke*
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Driadon

So many walls of text.... 0.0 

Anyway, congrats! Small or not, you'll learn a lot and it'll look damn good on a resume. 

I was going somewhere with that last sentence, I'm sure of it, but I cannot think of much more to add.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Mrnitropb

Hey at least they haven't made you eat exploding rotten fish.

Alyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Alyse
@crusader8463:  
:D Wahoo! So this time we're friendly, I look forward to NEXT TIM! ;)

@Driadon:
Yeah, apparently we're all long-winded here. XD Thank you for the 'gratulations! :D

@Mrnitropb:
Ugh I watched that video, and I had to stop before they made him eat it. He's so nice, why would they do that to him? They should've made Jeff do it! He made fun of my employer on the podcast... (Comcast /cringe)