This little kid at the tennis court made me feel inadequate.

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MC_Izawa

He was a young kid, looked about middle school age, out there doing his daily practice.  His Eastern European father was shouting mean things at him, at first in English, then in his native language after a few dirty glances from my dad.  A constant stream of tennis balls came with the father's shouting.  This kid has his bandana on his head, his matching tennis outfit, and his nice racket.  I see him take off a weighted belt after they're done.  He's extremely good.  He could kick my ass for sure.

However, I've only ever played for fun.  There are times when I've felt like a piece of shit while doing sports activities.  I've always been a bench warmer.  That feeling always passes when I see stuff like this.  I realize I'd have had a completely different relationship with my dad and a busy, hurried schedule.  Sports would never have been fun to me if I had to practice like that, I think.

Tennis is the only sport that I can't watch.  I just imagine the players as young kids, shipped away to those training facilities, constantly being put in tournaments, always being pressured to win.  At least I can see professional players in other sports as kids who took a genuine interest in their pastime.
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By cloneslayer

Dude, look at the olympics, expecially gymnastics. The late teen years are when people are at their peak fitness potential for the rest of their lives. Thats when their parents have to exploit them to gain satisfaction for their own failed lives, just like I will do to my children someday.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Yeah, I feel bad for those kids. It makes you wonder, though. Will they be grateful one day when they're on the pro circuit?

I know I'd be happier if I was forced into piano lessons as a child. I feel inadequate compared to the more experienced musicians that are younger than me at school. Oh, well.
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cloneslayer
Arkthemaniac said:
"Yeah, I feel bad for those kids. It makes you wonder, though. Will they be grateful one day when they're on the pro circuit?

I know I'd be happier if I was forced into piano lessons as a child. I feel inadequate compared to the more experienced musicians that are younger than me at school. Oh, well.
"
Ya, I wish my parents had forced me to learn an instrument back then. I guess its depends on the support the parent actually gives or if they are trying to ride their kids fame.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
Cloneslayer said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Yeah, I feel bad for those kids. It makes you wonder, though. Will they be grateful one day when they're on the pro circuit?

"
Ya, I wish my parents had forced me to learn an instrument back then. I guess its depends on the support the parent actually gives or if they are trying to ride their kids fame."

Hmm, interesting. For me it's a very different story, I have friends around me that are a lot better at the piano than I am and I kinda wish I was better at it, but despite my parents being very skilled musicians who are dissapointed I don't play an instrument with any great skill, they didn't push me into learning an instrument from a young age. I'm very glad that although I may not be able to play off high-speed versions of the Super Mario Bros. theme like my friends, I was allowed to make my own choices about what I wanted to do, and I doubt that if my parents had pushed me into investing all that time into something I didn't want to do that I'd be very happy now.
EyeEatDogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EyeEatDogs

I was never forced into doing much by my parents. Kind of wished they pushed me towards golfing more.

EyeEatDogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EyeEatDogs

I was never forced into doing much by my parents. Kind of wished they pushed me towards golfing more.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
Dis-honah!
skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By skidd
Arkthemaniac said:

"
Y'see, im the opposite. I started piano at the age of 4, and played for a good 12 years or so. But i hated having to do lessons, exams etc. Its only now that im starting to play again, but i guess i have more motivation this time - I want to play, Im not being forced to...and I get to choose what type of music I want to play.
NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NukeGoBoom

I have a cousin like that only with boxing instead of tennis.Hes also pressured as much as i am to learn well.Hes in a special class like me where most main lessons (Algebra,Physics,Science and ect) are a years worth harder (meaning that in 7th grade you learn 8th grade shit) and 2 years from the american system.So we practicly finish school in 10th grade.
He boxes a lot and is always frustrated of bieing too thin to fit his weight group.
I was never pressed to find something like that.I was encouroged for a hobby but never something i didnt want.I fail at most things i try easily except for writing...Im getting carried off so ill stop writing.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
skidd said:
"Arkthemaniac said:

"
Y'see, im the opposite. I started piano at the age of 4, and played for a good 12 years or so. But i hated having to do lessons, exams etc. Its only now that im starting to play again, but i guess i have more motivation this time - I want to play, Im not being forced to...and I get to choose what type of music I want to play."
Yeah, that helps. A lot.

It's all an issue of money for me. That's why I play bass. Cheap.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RetroIce4
Cloneslayer said:
"Dude, look at the olympics, expecially gymnastics. The late teen years are when people are at their peak fitness potential for the rest of their lives. Thats when their parents have to exploit them to gain satisfaction for their own failed lives, just like I will do to my children someday."
*cough**cough* Beauty Pageants *cough* Waste... *cough* (You get the point)
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wolverine
MC_Izawa said:
"He was a young kid, looked about middle school age, out there doing his daily practice.  His Eastern European father was shouting mean things at him, at first in English, then in his native language after a few dirty glances from my dad.  A constant stream of tennis balls came with the father's shouting.  This kid has his bandana on his head, his matching tennis outfit, and his nice racket.  I see him take off a weighted belt after they're done.  He's extremely good.  He could kick my ass for sure.
However, I've only ever played for fun.  There are times when I've felt like a piece of shit while doing sports activities.  I've always been a bench warmer.  That feeling always passes when I see stuff like this.  I realize I'd have had a completely different relationship with my dad and a busy, hurried schedule.  Sports would never have been fun to me if I had to practice like that, I think.

Tennis is the only sport that I can't watch.  I just imagine the players as young kids, shipped away to those training facilities, constantly being put in tournaments, always being pressured to win.  At least I can see professional players in other sports as kids who took a genuine interest in their pastime.
"
I've played competitive tennis since I was eight years old and my parents never put any pressure on me to win. The drive to play well comes from inside.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

Well, at least the title of this thread wasn't "this little kid in the showers in gym class made me feel inadequate".  =  /

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Geno

Dude he's Eastern European. They are to tennis what Chinese kids are to math. It's nothing to be ashamed about.