meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By meteora

A little background

Heya, my name is Meteora, I have been around here since at least June 2008, right before when this site was a mere blog needing love and nurture from its readers. I sort of consider myself as a one of the more older members that has been around for longer than I should have been. I'm far from a core member. I'm not cool enough for that. But enough of that, I wanted to talk about something about this whole subscription business. DISCLAIMER: Note that my opinion should not be held higher due to my *cough* seniority; I am as much of a member as anyone else is here who loves Giantbomb.

For quite a while since the early days of the site, the Giantbomb community has been very supportive of the crew and the Whiskey Media family. A large number of us has been nagging the guys to donate money to support the crew before the whole subscription idea really got off the ground. They refused, they didn't want to take money and basically do nothing with it. They felt that we should get something, offering to sell T-shirts to members as a means to receive money from us, yet giving something back for our money's worth.

We have held admiration for the guys behind Giantbomb/Whiskey Media for their idea on how to run a gaming site and a business model, continually impressed with the performance they have held up throughout its life. However, today we hit a stumbling block that let all hell loose on the forums. 

If you haven't heard yet, the subscription fees included a change in the Bombcast format. Normally the Bombcast ran for more than 2 hours worth of awesome podcast coming from the Giantbomb crew. However, with the introduction of the subscription fees, it will become a podcast that is more or less changed for the benefit of those who paid. Basically, it will be split into an hour each for session. The first hour can be heard when released, but the second hour will not be heard until next week; while subscribers will get it all at once. What did the community think of it?

They don't like it. Not one bit. Well, most of us except that fellow named jorojoserojas ;)

The issue at hand

I can see where we're coming from, and I can also see where Whiskey Media stands on this. No matter how hard we try to think otherwise; Whiskey Media is a business and it has a business model. It runs on cold, hard cash (unfortunately whiskey didn't work so well while fueling it). However, Whiskey Media is a company that has avery supportive community, willing to help the guys out by throwing money at them as a tribute of sorts. Not many companies has ever achieved that sort of status, it is certainly a unique thing to be seen. 

This whole idea of taking what was there and making it a premium content is a little mind puzzling for me. I'm a bit worried. Am I pissed off? No, not really. Though most are pissed off and losing their minds, throwing whatever backlash at the crew after all these years of love and adoring. Is it painful to see them go in this direction...? Maybe, but its more painful to see that the community has been more or less torn apart by the recent announcement. Do I blame the guys for making what I seemingly always presume to be a serious error and oversight like I normally do for just about everything else? Fuck I don't know. 

Do I want to go on with my reserved honorary "I have been a member of Giantbomb for X amount of time; this sucks!1ONE11!" speech? No, not really.

I think the Whiskey Media crew needs to take a step back and take a look at the bigger picture. Taking content out from what is already free and making it a premium does not bode well and only results in backlash and negative perception from the community, as seen from this thread. The business plan is flawed. I can understand the need to put more features for premium content so it becomes more enticing to subscribe, but that's why you generate more features, not take existing ones and make them it a subscriber's feature. I don't think that works well. Doing that would be the same as Sony putting in a mandatory subscription fee for the PS3. One reason why people bought a PS3 was because of free online gaming; because it has always been free from the start.

What I think they should do is remove whatever plans they had for the Bombcast and come up with an alternative feature. There have been some suggestions that the Whiskey Media crew's podcast can do video podcasts as a subscription feature. I know many of us would be dying for that sort of feature and could pursue quite a few of us into subscribing. I know I would; though PayPal isn't supported. =( In any case, there are other things they could include in the membership plan that doesn't involve taking what exists already, and making it a content that you need to pay for. If necessary, they could shrink the subscription fee and exclude some other features that don't need to be there (such as T-shirts).  

Actually, to be honest, I'm pretty sure the guys who will support Whiskey Media wouldn't mind at all if you took away that whole Bombcast idea and will still be gladly to subscribe.

The Verdict

Whiskey Media needs to know and be reminded that it has a fanbase that is willing to support it for being awesome and continually awesome; but that this isn't awesome at all. We as a community do not like being treated in a certain way that ticks us off. We love this website and we will continue to stand by it. But, all of us have our limits. This isn't necessarily a threat, rather a simple message that, as regular and obsessive visitors of this site, we want to have a pleasant experience. No hassling thought that there's some change that would bug us simply because, there's a feature that was there before, and now is more or less gimped simply because we get the content later. Yes, the content is still there, but the change doesn't feel right. There's many of us who feels the same, especially given the time gap between first and second hour of the Bombcast. 

Let's make it up Whiskey Media. How about you find a solution to this problem in which seems to be upsetting everyone in the forums, fix it and we'll totally forget all about this business and forgive you? And like I said, you can totally remove that feature. People will still subscribe to your membership. You do not need to split the Bombcast into two sections to get people to subscribe. Now that I think about it, its pretty trivial to even include that. Its no offence, I'm just thinking aloud. I hope you drop the idea, fix it, whatever, and we can hopefully get along together in the future. 

Sorry about the loud read. Its been emotional roller coaster. <_<

~Meteora
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By meteora

A little background

Heya, my name is Meteora, I have been around here since at least June 2008, right before when this site was a mere blog needing love and nurture from its readers. I sort of consider myself as a one of the more older members that has been around for longer than I should have been. I'm far from a core member. I'm not cool enough for that. But enough of that, I wanted to talk about something about this whole subscription business. DISCLAIMER: Note that my opinion should not be held higher due to my *cough* seniority; I am as much of a member as anyone else is here who loves Giantbomb.

For quite a while since the early days of the site, the Giantbomb community has been very supportive of the crew and the Whiskey Media family. A large number of us has been nagging the guys to donate money to support the crew before the whole subscription idea really got off the ground. They refused, they didn't want to take money and basically do nothing with it. They felt that we should get something, offering to sell T-shirts to members as a means to receive money from us, yet giving something back for our money's worth.

We have held admiration for the guys behind Giantbomb/Whiskey Media for their idea on how to run a gaming site and a business model, continually impressed with the performance they have held up throughout its life. However, today we hit a stumbling block that let all hell loose on the forums. 

If you haven't heard yet, the subscription fees included a change in the Bombcast format. Normally the Bombcast ran for more than 2 hours worth of awesome podcast coming from the Giantbomb crew. However, with the introduction of the subscription fees, it will become a podcast that is more or less changed for the benefit of those who paid. Basically, it will be split into an hour each for session. The first hour can be heard when released, but the second hour will not be heard until next week; while subscribers will get it all at once. What did the community think of it?

They don't like it. Not one bit. Well, most of us except that fellow named jorojoserojas ;)

The issue at hand

I can see where we're coming from, and I can also see where Whiskey Media stands on this. No matter how hard we try to think otherwise; Whiskey Media is a business and it has a business model. It runs on cold, hard cash (unfortunately whiskey didn't work so well while fueling it). However, Whiskey Media is a company that has avery supportive community, willing to help the guys out by throwing money at them as a tribute of sorts. Not many companies has ever achieved that sort of status, it is certainly a unique thing to be seen. 

This whole idea of taking what was there and making it a premium content is a little mind puzzling for me. I'm a bit worried. Am I pissed off? No, not really. Though most are pissed off and losing their minds, throwing whatever backlash at the crew after all these years of love and adoring. Is it painful to see them go in this direction...? Maybe, but its more painful to see that the community has been more or less torn apart by the recent announcement. Do I blame the guys for making what I seemingly always presume to be a serious error and oversight like I normally do for just about everything else? Fuck I don't know. 

Do I want to go on with my reserved honorary "I have been a member of Giantbomb for X amount of time; this sucks!1ONE11!" speech? No, not really.

I think the Whiskey Media crew needs to take a step back and take a look at the bigger picture. Taking content out from what is already free and making it a premium does not bode well and only results in backlash and negative perception from the community, as seen from this thread. The business plan is flawed. I can understand the need to put more features for premium content so it becomes more enticing to subscribe, but that's why you generate more features, not take existing ones and make them it a subscriber's feature. I don't think that works well. Doing that would be the same as Sony putting in a mandatory subscription fee for the PS3. One reason why people bought a PS3 was because of free online gaming; because it has always been free from the start.

What I think they should do is remove whatever plans they had for the Bombcast and come up with an alternative feature. There have been some suggestions that the Whiskey Media crew's podcast can do video podcasts as a subscription feature. I know many of us would be dying for that sort of feature and could pursue quite a few of us into subscribing. I know I would; though PayPal isn't supported. =( In any case, there are other things they could include in the membership plan that doesn't involve taking what exists already, and making it a content that you need to pay for. If necessary, they could shrink the subscription fee and exclude some other features that don't need to be there (such as T-shirts).  

Actually, to be honest, I'm pretty sure the guys who will support Whiskey Media wouldn't mind at all if you took away that whole Bombcast idea and will still be gladly to subscribe.

The Verdict

Whiskey Media needs to know and be reminded that it has a fanbase that is willing to support it for being awesome and continually awesome; but that this isn't awesome at all. We as a community do not like being treated in a certain way that ticks us off. We love this website and we will continue to stand by it. But, all of us have our limits. This isn't necessarily a threat, rather a simple message that, as regular and obsessive visitors of this site, we want to have a pleasant experience. No hassling thought that there's some change that would bug us simply because, there's a feature that was there before, and now is more or less gimped simply because we get the content later. Yes, the content is still there, but the change doesn't feel right. There's many of us who feels the same, especially given the time gap between first and second hour of the Bombcast. 

Let's make it up Whiskey Media. How about you find a solution to this problem in which seems to be upsetting everyone in the forums, fix it and we'll totally forget all about this business and forgive you? And like I said, you can totally remove that feature. People will still subscribe to your membership. You do not need to split the Bombcast into two sections to get people to subscribe. Now that I think about it, its pretty trivial to even include that. Its no offence, I'm just thinking aloud. I hope you drop the idea, fix it, whatever, and we can hopefully get along together in the future. 

Sorry about the loud read. Its been emotional roller coaster. <_<

~Meteora
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Barrock

Really?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Brendan

I've laid down enough paragraphs about this already (and not just pitchfork laden ones) so I'll just say:  Well written. 
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Totally agree with you man

P.S That's the first time i ever read someones Wall of text.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

THe bombcast thing is a dick move for those who are not going to pay and those who care enough will find other means to get it but i betcah in awhile people will get used that half of hteir bombcast is going to be late a week

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JoRoNimo
@Meteora:  

To say "they didn't like it. Not one bit." is a little bit off. I, for one, am fine with it. 

And I doubt I'm the only one.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By EVHKwick

Very eloquent. I disagree, but thanks for not just writing an angry sentence in caps. Ha. 

They aren't so much taking content away as they are delaying it. It's still two hours of podcast. And it's totally understandable that they're putting one of the most popular features in an unusual circumstance due to the subscription. That is a significant part of the price justification for their business model. It's like the XBL situation, and the reason they don't do tiered premium offers. 

I can't say I would've done it in the exact way Whiskey did, but I can respect why they did. Enough to think that they're doing the correct thing for them.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By meteora
@Brendan said:

" I've laid down enough paragraphs about this already (and not just pitchfork laden ones) so I'll just say:  Well written.  "

Thanks, I don't think I've ever put this much thought and effort into a post. The writing quality has really shown itself now that I read it over again. Still a few rough spots though. 

@Lemoncookie01: Good to know. =) 

@Dany: It might be a dick move, but as I like to put it in my perspective (whichhhh probably isn't very healthy for me at any rate) is that there might have been some serious oversight on their end. Let's admit it, we all make mistakes. Its kind of hard to believe that they would allow something like that to happen to be a mistake, right? Yeah, its a little hard to believe that, but it does happen. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case. All I'm saying is that, even if it was a dick move or some mistake, I'm more than willing to forgive and forget about this controversy. I love this site too much. :3 

@jorojoserojas: Fixed. ;)
yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By yoshimitz707

I NEED A T-SHIRT!

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Mrnitropb

Great blog post. 
For a girl.  ;)

But this honestly has the feel of cold, calculated, hella-shrewd, business acumen, that only the Toppest Man could have come up with. 
Its like a cross between extortion, and an IPO.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says

yep, you're correct, I once wrote sarcastically that paying members should get a seperate (early) podcast (check the dave subscription announcement) and this is what happens now. It's really awesome coming back after an unusually rough day at work and discover this. THAT is also sarcasm!

thai_jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By thai_jedi
@Meteora:  Agreed I would literally go up to them and hand them a 100 dollar bill to keep everything the same bombcast wise, the way it is cause that's how much I love Giantbomb.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By meteora
@hack745 said:
" Very eloquent. I disagree, but thanks for not just writing an angry sentence in caps. Ha. 

They aren't so much taking content away as they are delaying it. It's still two hours of podcast. And it's totally understandable that they're putting one of the most popular features in an unusual circumstance due to the subscription. That is a significant part of the price justification for their business model. It's like the XBL situation, and the reason they don't do tiered premium offers. 

I can't say I would've done it in the exact way Whiskey did, but I can respect why they did. Enough to think that they're doing the correct thing for them. "
Thank you! You know, I guess you're right. I did mention that its still the same content and its still there; but it feels vaguely weird. I'm used to enjoying my 2 hours session of Bombcast. I guess I was still sort of caught in the whole controversy. I think the thing that sorta ticked me off was the how they made it so you had to wait another week for the other hour of Bombcast.

However there is an interesting thought that came to me after I submitted this blog. If its true that the second half of the Bombcast will be available for public a week after; would it not arrive on time with the next Bombcast session? If this was the case, then we're honestly not missing out on a whole lot, nor are the subscribers even paying much for more up-to-date random dick around talk on the Bombcast. If this was really what would happen, then this blog is pretty much a waste of my two hours. :3 Ah well, good for practicing...
pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By pbhawks45
@Meteora: I'd like an apology for calling me a troll when I called this a month ago on my blog.
JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoRoNimo
@Meteora: Why thank you. :)
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EVHKwick
@Meteora said:
" @hack745 said:
" Very eloquent. I disagree, but thanks for not just writing an angry sentence in caps. Ha. 

I can't say I would've done it in the exact way Whiskey did, but I can respect why they did. Enough to think that they're doing the correct thing for them. "
Thank you! You know, I guess you're right. I did mention that its still the same content and its still there; but it feels vaguely weird. I'm used to enjoying my 2 hours session of Bombcast. I guess I was still sort of caught in the whole controversy. I think the thing that sorta ticked me off was the how they made it so you had to wait another week for the other hour of Bombcast. However there is an interesting thought that came to me after I submitted this blog. If its true that the second half of the Bombcast will be available for public a week after; would it not arrive on time with the next Bombcast session? If this was the case, then we're honestly not missing out on a whole lot, nor are the subscribers even paying much for more up-to-date random dick around talk on the Bombcast. If this was really what would happen, then this blog is pretty much a waste of my two hours. :3 Ah well, good for practicing... "
I wouldn't say it was a waste now. 

But yeah, we're still going to have our two-hours, and they'll be different halves. Not that much of a sacrifice, especially since they're trying hard to make sure that the first hour is the only time sensitive aspect.  

Plus, who knows how this is all going to be formatted. The post-subscription Bombcast is going to be significantly different than the pre. But maybe we'll see some new segments on the second half!
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By meteora
@Mrnitropb said:

" Great blog post. 
For a girl.  ;)

But this honestly has the feel of cold, calculated, hella-shrewd, business acumen, that only the Toppest Man could have come up with.  Its like a cross between extortion, and an IPO. "

Thank you! 

It does feel a little bit of that. I was actually a little bit surprised, or well, shocked in some sense, that they were going with this direction. It wasn't entirely a feeling of loss or remorse, nothing that big of a deal, but its certainly concerning, and I hope to get a response from Giantbomb and or Whiskey Media about this whole thing. But then again, I've said in previous posts, it also seems pretty trivial to split the Bombcast. 

@thai_jedi said:

" @Meteora:  Agreed I would literally go up to them and hand them a 100 dollar bill to keep everything the same bombcast wise, the way it is cause that's how much I love Giantbomb. "

If I had a job, I'd probably do the same even if I wasn't paying for subscription fees, hehe. 

@pbhawks45 said: Oh shit, nearly forgotten about you... Sorry about that incident. >_> 

@jorojoserojas: My pleasure. xD  

@hack745:  Hmm, indeed. I think you might have cheered my soul up to be a little bit more optimistic. Not that I was ever pesimistic about this; just cautious and worried. T_T

I hope this blog picks up a bit more comments. Not only because of how much goddamn time I spent on typing this out, but also how I feel that some other members need to take a step back and communicate in a more civilized manner. There's absolutely nothing wrong with throwing your arms up in the air, none at all. Just that communicating in this manner can just be as effective (though to be fair, it did take a while to get a good idea of what to write). Ah well. Hopefully it picks up.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mrnitropb
@hack745 said:
" @Meteora said:
" @hack745 said:

Thank you! You know, I guess you're right. I did mention that its still the same content and its still there; but it feels vaguely weird. I'm used to enjoying my 2 hours session of Bombcast. I guess I was still sort of caught in the whole controversy. I think the thing that sorta ticked me off was the how they made it so you had to wait another week for the other hour of Bombcast. However there is an interesting thought that came to me after I submitted this blog. If its true that the second half of the Bombcast will be available for public a week after; would it not arrive on time with the next Bombcast session? If this was the case, then we're honestly not missing out on a whole lot, nor are the subscribers even paying much for more up-to-date random dick around talk on the Bombcast. If this was really what would happen, then this blog is pretty much a waste of my two hours. :3 Ah well, good for practicing... "
I wouldn't say it was a waste now.  But yeah, we're still going to have our two-hours, and they'll be different halves. Not that much of a sacrifice, especially since they're trying hard to make sure that the first hour is the only time sensitive aspect.   Plus, who knows how this is all going to be formatted. The post-subscription Bombcast is going to be significantly different than the pre. But maybe we'll see some new segments on the second half! "
But then that even defeats the logic they introduced of the sheer amount of resources required to record, edit, and distribute being too much to have for free, even odder. If they still do it, and give it to us for free, perhaps even more bombcast, with almost guaranteed 2 hours, plus extra editing and time to split it, then where are the saving that are being passed on? It really was just a carrot/stick to drive Subs.

And yes, please let us keep at least one thread full of civil discourse. Mine sure isn't.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EVHKwick
@Mrnitropb: And that's exactly what it is: a carrot. The Bombcast was arguably the most popular portion of the site. They'd be stupid to think a premium service would float without involving it somehow. And let's be honest, no one is subscribing for the other Whiskey sites. They're all great sites, but none of them offer content like GB does. 

Justifying it was a bad move, in my opinion. Frankly, describing it the way they did was a bad move. They should've just said that they're changing the Bombcast to be only about news, and shorten its length, and another podcast will follow it for subscribers. I think the news would've gone over smoother. But, then again, we are a community of gamers, and we think we're the most entitled people on earth. It's not nice to say, but we all have our entitlement moments.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Vinny_Says
@pbhawks45 said:
" @Meteora: I'd like an apology for calling me a troll when I called this a month ago on my blog. "
HAHA
Battletoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Battletoad

I am too lazy to read all of that, but from  skimming I take it GB is going the IGNsider route? 

I like the site and all, but I don't see how they expect people to pay a monthly/yearly fee for the type or quantity of content available here.  

*Reviews---usually good when they come out.  Often pretty late (even well past embargo dates a lot of the time) Some big games get completely ignored, not enough video reviews compared to virtually every other site, and none are in HD. Gametrailers' long quality HD reviews alone should make it clear that GB can't charge for review access and expect good things. 

*TANG: Ive watched every epsiode, not a lot of humor here IMO, and what little is there is directly from the films themselves. Ryan's comments are not funny on these and he comes off as pretty bland. I have also learned to skip the last minute or so when he is put into scenes from the movies, because it is always lame. 

*Quicklooks--My favorite part of the site. Between ten and thirty minutes of gameplay and commentary that often does a better job of letting you know how good/bad a game is than reviews themselves. Often funny. Although entertaining, there are too many Game Room epsidoes though. With such a small crew, it would be nice if less of their time per week was devoted to Game Room QLs. 

*News--Seems like they just copy whatever Kotaku stories get put up a few hours or sometimes days after Kotaku runs them.  

*Podcast: The only Podcast I listen to. I usually skip the first 15-20 minutes though, as it is almost always filler. 

*Endurance Runs--I watched a couple of these. They were OK, but again, with such a small core crew, and the fact that sometimes there are 3-4 days straight of nothing worth cliicking on the site, I wish they didn't spend so much time on this. I know ER has it's fans, but I am not one of them.

*Boards/Wiki---very seldom used by me. 

I like giantbomb when they actually update, but I won't lie and pretend like there aren't lots of days when i visit and there is litterally nothing new that day, or one very meager addition that isn't interesting at all. Sometimes this goes on for multiple days in a row, not even counting the weekend when nothing is ever put on the site. It would be hard to complain about anything on GB as long as everything was free, and the ads remained laid back, but there is NOTHING here I would actually pay to view.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bruce

The podcast thing won't last. I see too many people potentially bitching about it. I'd love to throw these guys a few bucks, but c'mon, even on Gamespot free memberships you still got the Hotspot in its entirety for free. Same went for all the video content.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EVHKwick
@Battletoad said:
"

I am too lazy to read all of that, but from  skimming I take it GB is going the IGNsider route? 

I like the site and all, but I don't see how they expect people to pay a monthly/yearly fee for the type or quantity of content available here.  

*Reviews---usually good when they come out.  Often pretty late (even well past embargo dates a lot of the time) Some big games get completely ignored, not enough video reviews compared to virtually every other site, and none are in HD. Gametrailers' long quality HD reviews alone should make it clear that GB can't charge for review access and expect good things. 

*TANG: Ive watched every epsiode, not a lot of humor here IMO, and what little is there is directly from the films themselves. Ryan's comments are not funny on these and he comes off as pretty bland. I have also learned to skip the last minute or so when he is put into scenes from the movies, because it is always lame. 

*Quicklooks--My favorite part of the site. Between ten and thirty minutes of gameplay and commentary that often does a better job of letting you know how good/bad a game is than reviews themselves. Often funny. Although entertaining, there are too many Game Room epsidoes though. With such a small crew, it would be nice if less of their time per week was devoted to Game Room QLs. 

*News--Seems like they just copy whatever Kotaku stories get put up a few hours or sometimes days after Kotaku runs them.  

*Podcast: The only Podcast I listen to. I usually skip the first 15-20 minutes though, as it is almost always filler. 

*Endurance Runs--I watched a couple of these. They were OK, but again, with such a small core crew, and the fact that sometimes there are 3-4 days straight of nothing worth cliicking on the site, I wish they didn't spend so much time on this. I know ER has it's fans, but I am not one of them.

*Boards/Wiki---very seldom used by me. 

I like giantbomb when they actually update, but I won't lie and pretend like there aren't lots of days when i visit and there is litterally nothing new that day, or one very meager addition that isn't interesting at all. Sometimes this goes on for multiple days in a row, not even counting the weekend when nothing is ever put on the site. It would be hard to complain about anything on GB as long as everything was free, and the ads remained laid back, but there is NOTHING here I would actually pay to view.

"
It doesn't really seem like you use the site at all, save the QL and Bombcast. You are not the demographic they're going for in their subscription service.

Also, you didn't read the opening blog at all. Way to miss the point of this thread.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By meteora
@Mrnitropb: I've done a few audio editing and it really isn't all that hard. You simply need to add in certain music themes/clips at the right time. I'd suggest that it would take maybe about 15 minutes at the most to do all those simple tasks. 

@hack745: The justification was indeed lackluster and underwhelming, they should have explained it differently, at least in a way that didn't trigger hell to break loose on GB. Can't really blame them, but they should have thought that out more. Still, its a bummer for this change. Hopefully the change really isn't all that terrible or that they fix it. 

I'm thinking that it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is. It could actually be much more worse, like the Bombcast being exclusively premium content. Now that would totally suck...
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By crusader8463

This is bull shit, and if they go threw with this I have lost a ton of respect for the guys. This is a very dirty trick, and something that has hurt the way I view this site. What happened to " Everything you get now you will get when we add the subscription"? I'm not paying $50 a year just for a fucking podcast.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By pbhawks45
@Meteora: I was just kidding. You were far from the only one who responded that way. I wish I was wrong. I really enjoyed the blog entry, too. You've got a good voice in your writing.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By meteora
@crusader8463: The problem is that it isn't just the podcast though, there's obviously some other stuff included. 

Also please, can you keep it civil? This blog is probably only of the last bastion of civil discussion on this matter. Its no personal offence really, I just want to keep this blog a little bit more tidy than usual. 

But I'll agree for one that it seems a little dirty at the moment to be doing this. I'll have to wait and see though, because many people are very quick to judge and sometimes changes aren't necessarily that terrible.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EVHKwick
@crusader8463 said:

" This is bull shit, and if they go threw with this I have lost a ton of respect for the guys. This is a very dirty trick, and something that has hurt the way I view this site. What happened to " Everything you get now you will get when we add the subscription"? I'm not paying $50 a year just for a fucking podcast. "

You're missing the point completely. You're still getting the podcast, just not as timely as you used to. Within two to three weeks, you'll still be getting at least two hours of podcast without paying. 
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mrnitropb
@Meteora said:
 I'm thinking that it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is. It could actually be much more worse, like the Bombcast being exclusively premium content. Now that would totally suck... "
While yes, that would suck holyballs, I can understand it. That makes sense from a "this costs us a whole bunch of money/opportunity costs" standpoint. There is a logic to that. They have a valued commodity that we can only get through them. They ask for money, in exchange for thier services, and a business transaction has been done. Heck, i took a class on that. Twice.
I am just really puzzled, and confounded at the Split decision, which doesn't seem to save any money or resources, or really drive any more subscriptions, as all content is still technically free. There is no logic to it at all.
Battletoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Battletoad
@hack745:
I would say I am about 75% QL, 20% Bombcast, 4% Reviews, and 1% on everything else combined. 

As far as missing the point, I did say I was too lazy to read all of that. Even if I had read upfront that they fees were just for Bombcast,I still would have chimed in my feelings on the other content, should they be brainstorming on other GB features they could start charging for. 
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EVHKwick
@Battletoad: They are. You really shouldn't comment on something you know nothing about.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crusader8463
@hack745 said:

" @crusader8463 said:

" This is bull shit, and if they go threw with this I have lost a ton of respect for the guys. This is a very dirty trick, and something that has hurt the way I view this site. What happened to " Everything you get now you will get when we add the subscription"? I'm not paying $50 a year just for a fucking podcast. "

You're missing the point completely. You're still getting the podcast, just not as timely as you used to. Within two to three weeks, you'll still be getting at least two hours of podcast without paying.  "

YOU are missing the point completely because it's not the same, because it's different. If it was the same this thread wouldn't exist. There is literally zero things in the subscription that would make me want to pay for it. HD videos? I don't care because its fine the way it is, and I don't have some magical T1 line internet connection to stream it. Download video? Why would I want to do that? If for some obsurd reason if I did want to, I can already with firefox ad on's.  No ads? Unless it gets as bad as IGN/Game trailers where you literally can't use the site without an ad blocker I don't care if they have ads. The t-shirt? It doesn't come in a size that fits me, and even if it dd I don't want to have to pay another $10 for shipping.

All that is left is paying $50 a year just so I can continue to use the site as I have been using it for the last few years for free. Something they said every time they brought up the subscription topic that hey would NEVER do. Yet here we are, subscription announcement, and what do we find hidden in the small text at the bottom of the screen....
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Sounds reasonable enough to me, but considering I don't watch the Bombcast, I'm not personally effected by this. Still, I agree that they should come up with new content instead of taking away what used to be free.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EVHKwick
@crusader8463: Then don't subscribe, dude. No one is forcing you to. You'll still get the exact same content, just not as timely. Nothing worth demonizing the staff over.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude

Your blog will still be free, the other stuff is up to me. If I reply, well, that's a whole different world.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mrnitropb said:

" Great blog post. 
For a girl.  ;)

But this honestly has the feel of cold, calculated, hella-shrewd, business acumen, that only the Toppest Man could have come up with.  Its like a cross between extortion, and an IPO. "

I find it really fucking evil that the WM twitter is re-tweeting all the positive responses to the changes, and overall making it appear that the sentiment is positive, when it most certainly is not.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crusader8463
@hack745 said:
" @crusader8463: Then don't subscribe, dude. No one is forcing you to. You'll still get the exact same content, just not as timely. Nothing worth demonizing the staff over. "
No I won't get the exact same content because the bombcast has been changed. Just because you don't care doesn't mean I have to write it off as nothing. The reason I'm so pissed off is because they lied to us, and I just can't look at them, or this site, the same way again. Literally EVERY time the topic of paid subscriptions have come up they have always said "Everything you get on this site now will be EXACTLY the same as it has been all along. You will never have to pay to get the same service and content that you have been getting from this site from day one." What happens when it finally happens? Opps! Gotta pay $50 a year if you want the last half of the bombcast like you always have had it!

When push comes to shove they cut content from the site and put it behind a pay wall. The moment they agreeded to do this, they became the same kind of people they always joke about on the bombcast and have said they would never become.

Justify it however you want to, but at the end of the day they lied to us with this dirty trick and I sadly can no longer look at them or this site the same way again if they go through with this.
Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mcfart
@crusader8463 said:
" @hack745 said:
" @crusader8463: Then don't subscribe, dude. No one is forcing you to. You'll still get the exact same content, just not as timely. Nothing worth demonizing the staff over. "
No I won't get the exact same content because the bombcast has been changed. Just because you don't care doesn't mean I have to write it off as nothing. The reason I'm so pissed off is because they lied to us, and I just can't look at them, or this site, the same way again. Literally EVERY time the topic of paid subscriptions have come up they have always said "Everything you get on this site now will be EXACTLY the same as it has been all along. You will never have to pay to get the same service and content that you have been getting from this site from day one." What happens when it finally happens? Opps! Gotta pay $50 a year if you want the last half of the bombcast like you always have had it!  When push comes to shove they cut content from the site and put it behind a pay wall. The moment they agreeded to do this, they became the same kind of people they always joke about on the bombcast and have said they would never become.  Justify it however you want to, but at the end of the day they lied to us with this dirty trick and I sadly can no longer look at them or this site the same way again if they go through with this. "
I agree for the most part, but wanted to add that also the Bombcast will have artificial breaks/rushing during the first hour since they will have to run through the week's news before they go into the second hour. I just think that it wasn't the best solution, because now both subscribers and free members will probably get a more disjointed Bombcast, since the wiiware/dsiware releases will have to be in the first hour now.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crusader8463
@Mcfart: Ehh.... great. Now not only do we only get an hour bombcast, half of it is going to be the annoying Wiiware segment?
Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mcfart
@crusader8463 said:
" @Mcfart: Ehh.... great. Now not only do we only get an hour bombcast, half of it is going to be the annoying Wiiware segment? "
Yeah, that's my main issue, since by time they got to Wiiware/emails, it felt like the podcast was winding down, and a lot of the Wiiware stuff is comedic, as they admitted that a lot of that stuff comes out of a manual or something. However, it still counts as current releases...ugh.

Either they'll have to cut the filler from that segment or like you said, it'll take up half the hour.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By spazmaster666

I'm not really quite understanding all the complaints about the podcast. It's not like GB has an obligation to continue to produce 2+ hour bombcasts every week especially considering the difficulty of recouping the production/bandwidth costs involved. And considering everything else on the site will remain the same, it seems people are overreacting.

McBradders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By McBradders

Basically it comes down to the fact they said they would take nothing away from regular users by layering in a subscription. While nothing is being taken away, per se, it is being witheld and that is really regrettable, even as someone who fully intends to subscribe. For most people the Bombcast is their most enjoyable and important point of contact with the GB crew. Do I have a better idea? No. Are there better ways to accomplish this? Abso-freaking-loutely. 

Something like a live vide-feed of the Bombcast recording would be awesome.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WickedCobra03
@Mcfart said:
" @crusader8463 said:
" @Mcfart: Ehh.... great. Now not only do we only get an hour bombcast, half of it is going to be the annoying Wiiware segment? "
Yeah, that's my main issue, since by time they got to Wiiware/emails, it felt like the podcast was winding down, and a lot of the Wiiware stuff is comedic, as they admitted that a lot of that stuff comes out of a manual or something. However, it still counts as current releases...ugh.  Either they'll have to cut the filler from that segment or like you said, it'll take up half the hour. "
That is another thing.  Isn't it just going to take more time/man hours/money to edit and think about segments more than the the "benefits" they are getting out of it.  I don't mind subscribing to Whiskey, but really, it would only be for Giantbomb, a little for Alex and Rorries site, Screened.com and I every once and again go to Tested.com.  But really, I followed the crew in 2008 as the arrow pointing down podcast and really am not looking forward to this whole thing going; corporate here.

And, hey, Gaintbomb, you remember in 2001 or 2002 when Gamespot rolled out "Gamespot Complete"?  Yeah, that was a terrible idea.  Locking _basics out of content after 7 days, I don't think they were able to watch videos, forum usage was heavily restricted unless you were a vet, and even then it was very restrictive.  I was not a fan, but subscribed because I enjoyed the editors.  That thing really split the community though, and I just don't want to see that happen to this site.
juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By juice8367

I'm torn about this whole thing....

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shiftymagician

Sorry to sound a little mean here, but you know what I will be happy to wait for?  The user reviews of the new subscription, and whether or not they can justify the price with the proposed changes and additional features.  I hope the features are worth the currently questionable investment though.  They have a lot to prove, but I am hoping they succeed.

EDIT: Wait a minute.  Aren't we not losing any actual time in the podcast, but instead not getting an extra "third" hour?  From what I read, they refer to that hour as an "extra hour".  Doesn't that indicate we still get the regular Bombcast?  If that is so, I am perfectly fine with this.  It would be tough work to have to do 3 hours of Bombcasting per week it seems.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By spazmaster666
@McBradders said:
" Basically it comes down to the fact they said they would take nothing away from regular users by layering in a subscription. While nothing is being taken away, per se, it is being witheld and that is really regrettable, even as someone who fully intends to subscribe. For most people the Bombcast is their most enjoyable and important point of contact with the GB crew. Do I have a better idea? No. Are there better ways to accomplish this? Abso-freaking-loutely.   Something like a live vide-feed of the Bombcast recording would be awesome. "
It may be true that the Bombcast is a key part of the site, but then again they also have no obligation to always produce a 2+ hour bombcast every week. They've been doing it for the community but financially speaking, it's a big drain and it makes sense for them to try and find a way to recoup some of the costs involved with it.
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sagesebas
@Meteora: it's seriously not that big a deal, the only thing that is different is the bombcast, are you telling me you are so feverish for the bombcast that waiting a week is that big a deal. You still get two hours worth after the first week, the first half of that week and the second half of last weeks bombcast, you do realize that right, oh and it's 5 bucks a month, maybe you forgot that too.
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sagesebas
@crusader8463: you solved your own problem DON'T listen to that part then, you're seriously a downer dude.
Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mikewrestler5

Am I the only one on this entire site that really doesn't give a fuck? 

Nonethewiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Nonethewiser

I will very happily never pay for this.