Time Difference Between Star Trek Original and Next Generation

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fwylo

Just wondering what the time frame difference is in the lore/story between the original star trek and next generation?

Any trekkies out there that know the answer?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Star Trek Generations covers this.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fwylo

What?

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Coombs
@fwylo: lol

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Deusoma

Okay. I don't have any idea how the stardate conversion works, but the original series covered the span of time from 2265 to 2269, and The Next Generation covered 2364 to 2370, not counting brief jaunts into the future.

So basically the time difference is about a century.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fwylo
@Deusoma:  Thanks
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I always thought it was about 80 years or so.  Because this one time on next generation they find Scotty trapped in a transporter beam and it turns out he's been there for 80 years or so.
kingcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingcom

Its the following century.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ninjakiller

Hopefully Star trek will return to television.  Tired of having to watch TNG, DS9, and *shudder* Voyager for my Star Trek fix.   

Random Internet person: Oh hey what about the Star Trek show with Scott Bakula that took place in the early years of the  

Me: SHUT UP!  I'D RATHER WATCH THE ENTIRE RUN OF VOYAGER THAN 3 MINUTES OF THAT CONVOLUTED DREK.  

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@ninjakiller said:
" Hopefully Star trek will return to television.  Tired of having to watch TNG, DS9, and *shudder* Voyager for my Star Trek fix.    Random Internet person: Oh hey what about the Star Trek show with Scott Bakula that took place in the early years of the   Me: SHUT UP!  I'D RATHER WATCH THE ENTIRE RUN OF VOYAGER THAN 3 MINUTES OF THAT CONVOLUTED DREK.   "
There are four shows!
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pazy
@ninjakiller said:
" Random Internet person: Oh hey what about the Star Trek show with Scott Bakula that took place in the early years of the  .   "
*Puts hand up* That would be me asking that question, Star Trek: Enterprise is one of my favourite things in the Star Trek universe.
PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PulledaBrad
@Pazy said:
" @ninjakiller said:
" Random Internet person: Oh hey what about the Star Trek show with Scott Bakula that took place in the early years of the  .   "
*Puts hand up* That would be me asking that question, Star Trek: Enterprise is one of my favourite things in the Star Trek universe. "
You sir are wrong. As wrong as your spelling of favorite.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ninjakiller
@WinterSnowblind: sigh.... 

@Pazy:  *rolls up a newspaper and swats your nose*  BAD!....BAD RIP! *random internet person*
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By metal_mills
@ninjakiller said:
" Hopefully Star trek will return to television.  Tired of having to watch TNG, DS9, and *shudder* Voyager for my Star Trek fix.    Random Internet person: Oh hey what about the Star Trek show with Scott Bakula that took place in the early years of the   Me: SHUT UP!  I'D RATHER WATCH THE ENTIRE RUN OF VOYAGER THAN 3 MINUTES OF THAT CONVOLUTED DREK.   "
No one really gave Enterprise a change. Season 3 was good. Season 4 felt like full on TOS, they nailed it. I don't know how they pulled it off but it fucking pissed me off. Why? Because if season 4 was the beginning of that series it would have been going 7 seasons. 

I want a new Star Trek series set like 50-100 years after Voyager. Now we just have popcorn movies though written by hacks. :(
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ninjakiller
@Metal_Mills said:
" @ninjakiller said:
No one really gave Enterprise a change. Season 3 was good. Season 4 felt like full on TOS, they nailed it. I don't know how they pulled it off but it fucking pissed me off. Why? Because if season 4 was the beginning of that series it would have been going 7 seasons.   I want a new Star Trek series set like 50-100 years after Voyager. Now we just have popcorn movies though written by hacks. :( "
Yeah, just set the series 100 years after TNG.  Sad thing is I don't know if a new Star Trek series would have anything to say.   Between the 4 recent shows and the movies so much has been squeezed out of the genre.  There would have to be a bold new direction without going completely over the top, or just making it an action romp like the JJ Abrams movie.  
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By metal_mills
@ninjakiller said:
" @Metal_Mills said:
" @ninjakiller said:
No one really gave Enterprise a change. Season 3 was good. Season 4 felt like full on TOS, they nailed it. I don't know how they pulled it off but it fucking pissed me off. Why? Because if season 4 was the beginning of that series it would have been going 7 seasons.   I want a new Star Trek series set like 50-100 years after Voyager. Now we just have popcorn movies though written by hacks. :( "
Yeah, just set the series 100 years after TNG.  Sad thing is I don't know if a new Star Trek series would have anything to say.   Between the 4 recent shows and the movies so much has been squeezed out of the genre.  There would have to be a bold new direction without going completely over the top, or just making it an action romp like the JJ Abrams movie.   "
They could set it on a time ship from the 29th century. Or set it on a ship that can travel to another galaxy as they've basically covered all of our quadrants.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pazy
@Metal_Mills said:
" @ninjakiller said:

I liked Seasons 1 and 2, though I can understand why people assume its a terrible series, but Season 3 really picked up and Season 4 was fantastic. The idea of having the whole series being a set of Arc's was genius, it gave the stories a change to grow a little bit more rather than being finished in 42 minutes. It seemed to being heading into the Romulan War which had the potential to be really gripping. I agree with the point that if it had began with Series 4 it could have gone for 7 seasons.

Although I dont agree with the point about Star Trek XI, though it wasent as thoughtful as previous iterations of Star Trek I believe it kept the general spirit of the original series while updating the things that surround the core to allow it to appeal to people outside the core audience. At its core Star Trek for me has always had strong characters, especially Kirk, Spock and McCoy, and the updated characters, personally, felt very similar while having a certain element of uniqueness to it. Though I can totally understand how some fans wouldn't appreciate the vast amount of changes being made.

As a side note, Star Trek: Phase 2 (New Voyages) is an awesome show!

spudzdk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By spudzdk

While it is off topic I must say I liked enterprise, whatever caplock-stuck shouters might say, Though I just don´t understand what you guys mean by season 4 being the point it should have started. To me the interesting part was the whole idea of humans not really knowing what to do with all that spacetravel, rather than the nazi-aliens changing history so germany would invade the US (that was what kicked off season 4 wasnt it?). Sure, the captain was... why did he have a dog again? Most of the rest of the crew though I liked, and the story of all these first contacts I found quite fun. 
Then again, i never cared for the original series. Just the movies that came off them.