vimeo: an anagram for DUMB

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

It's particularly interesting since I was just talking about how strange it was -- none of my videos from vimeo had been touched. Vimeo has a weird policy where they don't allow video game footage of any sort, and I just received four emails from them today informing me that they removed four of my videos. I knew the day would come, but I was still a little peeved, and now I'm drifting between a couple video service providers.

blip.tv seems to be pretty excellent, unless there's something I don't know about. The quality is fine and dandy, and I haven't seen any mentions of size limits or storage capacity. Looks slick, and there's the option to monetize the videos if I ever felt the need to do so (lolz). Viddler I have used in the past and have some videos on, but there are uploading and quality issues with it as far as I can tell. Regardless, I'm going to need an outlet for my videos, and the next stop is Youtube if this doesn't work out *sigh*.

I just found it strange the videos Vimeo took down, particularly my 2008 Delicious video, you know -- the GOTY stuff. I mean that wasn't entirely game footage at all, that was a lot of spiffy editing, work, and hilarious scripts mashed together. "Your Inner Demon," a video about Akuma in Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, was also taken down. Sure that had a lot of direct game footage in it, but I spent months on putting it together, and it had some pretty slick graphical tweaks to it.

It seems to me that the staff at vimeo seems more interested in the artsy "look at me film this cactus in the middle of nowhere" videos. Man, you have to be pretty baked or completely out of ideas to resort to shooting a cactus, and the staff there has to be even more so since they personally favorited the video. Just want to send out a big fuck you to the vimeo staff, and that I'd rather store my videos up my ass in dv tape then ever use the service again.

I'll end this blog with a short conversation over vimeo PM system with Jeff Gerstmann himself:

ME: "I wonder how they came up with this name? "Video eh....hmm. How about VIMEO!? Like Video, but with an M?" Yeah, probably went something like that."
Jeff: "It's an anagram of MOVIE."
Me: "Wow. I feel pretty dumb now. Thanks for schooling me in life. Your face is an anagram of JERK. Not really, I kid. Sorta."
Jeff: "Don't feel too bad, I only know that because I used to read the blog of one of the guys that founded this site before I realized that he was insane and not worth keeping tabs on."

Insane is right Jeff, INSANE.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

It's particularly interesting since I was just talking about how strange it was -- none of my videos from vimeo had been touched. Vimeo has a weird policy where they don't allow video game footage of any sort, and I just received four emails from them today informing me that they removed four of my videos. I knew the day would come, but I was still a little peeved, and now I'm drifting between a couple video service providers.

blip.tv seems to be pretty excellent, unless there's something I don't know about. The quality is fine and dandy, and I haven't seen any mentions of size limits or storage capacity. Looks slick, and there's the option to monetize the videos if I ever felt the need to do so (lolz). Viddler I have used in the past and have some videos on, but there are uploading and quality issues with it as far as I can tell. Regardless, I'm going to need an outlet for my videos, and the next stop is Youtube if this doesn't work out *sigh*.

I just found it strange the videos Vimeo took down, particularly my 2008 Delicious video, you know -- the GOTY stuff. I mean that wasn't entirely game footage at all, that was a lot of spiffy editing, work, and hilarious scripts mashed together. "Your Inner Demon," a video about Akuma in Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, was also taken down. Sure that had a lot of direct game footage in it, but I spent months on putting it together, and it had some pretty slick graphical tweaks to it.

It seems to me that the staff at vimeo seems more interested in the artsy "look at me film this cactus in the middle of nowhere" videos. Man, you have to be pretty baked or completely out of ideas to resort to shooting a cactus, and the staff there has to be even more so since they personally favorited the video. Just want to send out a big fuck you to the vimeo staff, and that I'd rather store my videos up my ass in dv tape then ever use the service again.

I'll end this blog with a short conversation over vimeo PM system with Jeff Gerstmann himself:

ME: "I wonder how they came up with this name? "Video eh....hmm. How about VIMEO!? Like Video, but with an M?" Yeah, probably went something like that."
Jeff: "It's an anagram of MOVIE."
Me: "Wow. I feel pretty dumb now. Thanks for schooling me in life. Your face is an anagram of JERK. Not really, I kid. Sorta."
Jeff: "Don't feel too bad, I only know that because I used to read the blog of one of the guys that founded this site before I realized that he was insane and not worth keeping tabs on."

Insane is right Jeff, INSANE.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 50

#2  Edited By strangeling

Since you announced your website, I went to check it out.  I watched quite a few of your older videos (very nice, by the way).

Maybe you attracted too much attention?
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lordofultima

This is probably the case, but SFIV match videos are still up, Rock Band drumming videos are still up? I really don't understand their thought process.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#4  Edited By strangeling

The SFIV match videos are still up, eh?  Yeah, I don't know what's going on in their minds then.

The Rock Band videos are more of you playing the drums than they are of game footage.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

Nice conversation with Jeff. Made me laugh.

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By darro

Kind of stupid to take down the videos especially when they are better than half the crap that is probably on vimeo like 10 second stupidity and stupid "look at me, I talk about nothing" crap.

Lucky you to have a conversation with the G-Man himself. :P

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Babble

Yeah, I liked Vimeo until they removed all video game stuff, they lost most of their user base probably.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By FlipperDesert

Hahaha, he is right, a lot of people I followed had to move their stuff after Vimeo decided to start taking down stuff about games. In the end it'll come back to bite them in the ass, though I'd like to find a video site that isn't totally screwed-up right now.

Unjust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Unjust
Belgian Waffles  .....yum