violence in video games

kaaaaaaahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kaaaaaaahn

many people argue that video games cause people to become violent after a while. what i dont understand is why the same amount of blame isnt put on tv and movies. of course i do not beleive that any of these things cause much violence. im sure that there are some people out there who are easily impressionable, but thats there own problem. i started thinking of this when my substitute history teacher said that video games were corrupting american youth and that they were the cause behinds colombine and the virginia tech shooting. i am pretty sure no one on giantbomb hates video games but im wondering your oppinion. does violence in video games affect people

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

You ever ask me that again and I'LL TRAMPLE YOU WITH MY STAGECOACH!!!

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob
@kaaaaaaahn said:
" i started thinking of this when my substitute history teacher said that video games were corrupting american youth and that they were the cause behinds colombine and the virginia tech shooting. "
If a teacher made such a bold, sweeping generalisation like that at my school they would have been sacked. 

Then again, who gives a shit about subs?
Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Insectecutor
@kaaaaaaahn said:

"what i dont understand is why the same amount of blame isnt put on tv and movies."

I think the argument goes that in games you participate in the violence, while in tv/movies you merely watch it. I don't subscribe to this bullshit, I find violence I'm not in control of more disturbing than violence I have control over.

Edit: if your substitute history teacher was a science or maths teacher he'd know the difference between correlation and causation.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Probably affects them about as much as Richard Wagner affected Hitler.

Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Valco
@MysteriousBob said:
" @kaaaaaaahn said:
" i started thinking of this when my substitute history teacher said that video games were corrupting american youth and that they were the cause behinds colombine and the virginia tech shooting. "
If a teacher made such a bold, sweeping generalisation like that at my school they would have been sacked.  Then again, who gives a shit about subs? "

Thats what I was thinking, but back to the point, if anyone I know goes off on one about how violence in video games is destroying our youth i just burst out with "DO YOU APPROVE OF THE HUNT BAN?". 

This non sequiter tends to throw them off kilter and they just stop, if they say  "no" then I come out with "So you don't approve of simulated, removed viloence that gamers would never dream of actually enacting, but you're fine with the brutal hunt and murder of a sentient being as a sport, on the grounds that "they are pests, and if people get pleasure from killing them, then so be it"? 

If they say "yes" then i just write them off as a hippy and move on. 
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By EdIsCool

violence in video games/movies does not cause people to be violent, however  it almost certainly desensitizes people to violence.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Arbie

Anything can influence a mind if that mind is already on track to kill. But blaming the same thing over and over is just unimaginative and an attempt to at playing it safe because it's been accepted before. I'm pretty certain brutal murders took place before video games, far more than they do now. But people blame what they don't understand, which is why the people who blame video games are rarely gamers, the fear of pacman is a frightening path to stray from...

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Organicalistic_
@kaaaaaaahn said:
" many people argue that video games cause people to become violent after a while. what i dont understand is why the same amount of blame isnt put on tv and movies. of course i do not beleive that any of these things cause much violence. im sure that there are some people out there who are easily impressionable, but thats there own problem. i started thinking of this when my substitute history teacher said that video games were corrupting american youth and that they were the cause behinds colombine and the virginia tech shooting. i am pretty sure no one on giantbomb hates video games but im wondering your oppinion. does violence in video games affect people "
Columbine and VT is not violence in video games Marilyn Manson, or anything in that nature,

wht it is is the way people are raising there children, either the parents are bad influence on their children, dont give a shit what their kids do, or teach their children to do things that are wrong
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By damnboyadvance

It doesn't cause somebody to be violent. It can influence it, but it alone doesn't cause it. I'm sure that if you look at those people's history, you'll see that they had more problems than just video games.

Now, I would agree that video games or TV can be a bad influence on a child's mind, which is why I wouldn't let some 8 year old play Grand Theft Auto. But it doesn't cause them to go out on a rampage.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By dichemstys

I'm gonna try to not get pissed off and just say: No.

kaaaaaaahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kaaaaaaahn

im glad people see it this way. yeah and the sad thing is that sub was my middle school principle 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Erzs said:

" Anything can influence a mind if that mind is already on track to kill. But blaming the same thing over and over is just unimaginative and an attempt to at playing it safe because it's been accepted before. I'm pretty certain brutal murders took place before video games, far more than they do now. But people blame what they don't understand, which is why the people who blame video games are rarely gamers, the fear of pacman is a frightening path to stray from...   "

Everything I would have liked to say and more.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By crusader8463

It's just video games turn to be the scape goat for parents who cant bother parenting and uneducated people to blame problems on instead of trying to fix the real cause because that might actually be work. It was books when they where first invented, then movies once books became common place, then comics, then Rock and Roll, then Heavy Metal, then Dungeons and Dragons, then Rap music and now video games. As long as there are small minded people who like to blame the worlds problems on something instead of looking to themselves for the cause of the problem, there will always be an "*insert product/past time* is destroying the world/is the spawn of Satan" for them to blame things on.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@Erzs said:
" Anything can influence a mind if that mind is already on track to kill. But blaming the same thing over and over is just unimaginative and an attempt to at playing it safe because it's been accepted before. I'm pretty certain brutal murders took place before video games, far more than they do now. But people blame what they don't understand, which is why the people who blame video games are rarely gamers, the fear of pacman is a frightening path to stray from...   "
Rofl well said and besides, plenty of people died in the past (i.e. wild west) without the existence of video games so what's different in today's society?
Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MightyMayorMike

I only mention it because it's relevant but I'm a tech reporter by trade, so there are a lot of times when those kinds of articles inevitably crop up: Someone went on a shooting or something, and said someone played videogames. The real wildfire probably started after Columbine, and after it anytime a shooting happens reporters will call on what are essentially anti-videogame experts to comment. I have some terrible luck with all this, haha, because not only am I a gamer but I was a creative writing student at the time when Virginia Tech happened, and believe you me they started looking at us differently (and recommending therapy for students who didn't write about flowers and rainbows).

@Erzs said:

" Anything can influence a mind if that mind is already on track to kill.
...this, and...

@crusader8463 said:
" It's just video games turn to be the scape goat for parents who cant bother parenting
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Djeffers03

Only stupid retards who let themselves get effected by them. Those people don't deserve to play video-games.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jinxman

I wrote my Magnum Opus on this subject.  No, they don't cause violence.  They're just the latest scapegoat in a society that always wants something to blame for their problems even with the real causes are staring them in the face.

kaaaaaaahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kaaaaaaahn

there is violence and sex in movies. so i dont understand why its a big deal when there in a cutscene in game 

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By habster3
@organicalistic_ said:
" @kaaaaaaahn said:
" many people argue that video games cause people to become violent after a while. what i dont understand is why the same amount of blame isnt put on tv and movies. of course i do not beleive that any of these things cause much violence. im sure that there are some people out there who are easily impressionable, but thats there own problem. i started thinking of this when my substitute history teacher said that video games were corrupting american youth and that they were the cause behinds colombine and the virginia tech shooting. i am pretty sure no one on giantbomb hates video games but im wondering your oppinion. does violence in video games affect people "
Columbine and VT is not violence in video games Marilyn Manson, or anything in that nature,  wht it is is the way people are raising there children, either the parents are bad influence on their children, dont give a shit what their kids do, or teach their children to do things that are wrong "
Sometimes the murderers are just sociopathic, dude; they have no morals, no conscience, etc.
 Don't always blame the parents; it's not always their faults.
Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Alphonzo
@EdIsCool said:
" violence in video games/movies does not cause people to be violent, however  it almost certainly desensitizes people to violence. "
I don't disagree, but I've always argued that it's not a bad thing to be desensitized to violence -- why not be just a little bit prepared?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By jakob187
@kaaaaaaahn: Because TVs and movies are passive experiences that are open to interpretation. 

Video games are an interactive experience...and there's no other way to interpret a head explosion or running over innocent people with your car. 

With that said, I don't think video games influence violence.  I think miseducation of the difference between fantasy and reality does. 

This comes from the guy who wrote the page for Extreme Violence...
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman

People are responsible for their own actions.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By clubsandwich

your avatar makes this thread even better OP, thanks for that. :D

theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By theduke

i don't think it has anymore affect on a persons tendancy of violence any more than tv or movies.
what peoples problem are is that it is new so the people of previous generations don't understand it and also because it is more interactive