• 60 results
gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By gaminghooligan

man MCV is a mess. How could you ever think this was acceptable behavior to represent yourself with in the mass public eye?

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@PulledaBradsaid:

@Bwast said:

@Kerned said:

However you may feel about her or what she did, it's in exceedingly poor taste on the part of her former employer to publicly discuss her firing. And on Twitter, no less! It shows a real lack of class.

Go suck a choad.

Not my words!

I haven't heard that one since high school. Ah, memories.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By DoctorWelch

@Animasta said:

@Akyho said:

@Animasta said:

@YOU_DIED:

... I don't get your point; what's wrong with unboxing videos exactly?

The point is it was sent free to them. And that is part of the Rabs original Article of Game journalist being technically paid off with free stuff from PR, as PR people ARE ALWAYS trying to influence them.

That is why its a funny picture.

No, the point was that totilo posted something on how he wanted to engage in good games journalism and then he posted that unboxing video as if that wasn't good games journalism for whatever reason.

I mean what's the difference between that video and the skyrim statue unboxing?

The difference is no one is acting like the skyrim statue unboxing is good journalism. Instead, they only did it because it was fucking stupid that anyone would send them such useless nonsense.

Edit: Oh, and your assertion that people don't have context for that is incorrect. The context is in the damn video because they make fun of it and openly mock its stupidity.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By Red

I'm glad I don't have to worry about things like this with Giant Bomb.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By DoctorWelch

@JasonR86 said:

@Akyho:

Just because other journalists aren't as candid as Jeff doesn't mean they don't think it. For example the GB crew is close to a lot of people at Gameinformer who I feel, despite being owned by Gamestop, are very honest but aren't always candid (though sometimes they are). The three main editors there have nearly 20 years of experience a piece. There are many journalist out there like that. I think in this instance it is better to give these guys the benefit of the doubt until they are proven to be unreliable.

This is kind of besides the point to this whole thread, but I would never site experience as something valuable in this particular industry (not that I'm even referring to the people you mentioned). Yes, companies may look at it as valuable, but anyone with over 20 years of experience writing about games did not start doing this by being the best writers or journalists, that's simply not how it worked 20 years ago. Look at the GB guys, many of these dudes knew each other from the SF Bay area, and the ones who didn't have openly admitted on Bombcasts or On the Spot that it is mainly luck and who you know.

As the industry grows bigger, this whole process is starting to change. I think the past 5 years or so have been the start of the process of weeding out the shitty, unintelligent, incompetent, and unethical writers from the rest of the pack. I also think those who are starting now will be much more competent than those starting out 20 years ago. If you think about it, people like Jeff Green and Gary Whitta are the some of the oldest game writers we have, and they really aren't that old. This whole industry is still really young...and when you really think about it, so is the internet.

Now, I want to clarify all that I've just said by saying that there are definitely quality game writers out there. Many of these guys started off as nobodies, and built their way up with hard work. Although I strongly disagree with Jeff on how he plays/thinks about games sometimes, I think the simple fact that he has established a place on the internet where I can think that about him, but still totally respect him and think he's awesome is really a true testament to why he should be regarded as an experienced profesional that should be looked up to in this industry. So, no, I don't think experience writing about games really counts for much because the way people are writing about them is changing so drastically, and those who started out that long ago were not the best writers available at the time. That doesn't mean it's impossible to have experience and be someone we should look up to or hold in high regard, I just need to see why you are awesome and relevant now, not that you've been here for a while.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By JasonR86

@DoctorWelch said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Akyho:

Just because other journalists aren't as candid as Jeff doesn't mean they don't think it. For example the GB crew is close to a lot of people at Gameinformer who I feel, despite being owned by Gamestop, are very honest but aren't always candid (though sometimes they are). The three main editors there have nearly 20 years of experience a piece. There are many journalist out there like that. I think in this instance it is better to give these guys the benefit of the doubt until they are proven to be unreliable.

This is kind of besides the point to this whole thread, but I would never site experience as something valuable in this particular industry (not that I'm even referring to the people you mentioned). Yes, companies may look at it as valuable, but anyone with over 20 years of experience writing about games did not start doing this by being the best writers or journalists, that's simply not how it worked 20 years ago. Look at the GB guys, many of these dudes knew each other from the SF Bay area, and the ones who didn't have openly admitted on Bombcasts or On the Spot that it is mainly luck and who you know.

As the industry grows bigger, this whole process is starting to change. I think the past 5 years or so have been the start of the process of weeding out the shitty, unintelligent, incompetent, and unethical writers from the rest of the pack. I also think those who are starting now will be much more competent than those starting out 20 years ago. If you think about it, people like Jeff Green and Gary Whitta are the some of the oldest game writers we have, and they really aren't that old. This whole industry is still really young...and when you really think about it, so is the internet.

Now, I want to clarify all that I've just said by saying that there are definitely quality game writers out there. Many of these guys started off as nobodies, and built their way up with hard work. Although I strongly disagree with Jeff on how he plays/thinks about games sometimes, I think the simple fact that he has established a place on the internet where I can think that about him, but still totally respect him and think he's awesome is really a true testament to why he should be regarded as an experienced profesional that should be looked up to in this industry. So, no, I don't think experience writing about games really counts for much because the way people are writing about them is changing so drastically, and those who started out that long ago were not the best writers available at the time. That doesn't mean it's impossible to have experience and be someone we should look up to or hold in high regard, I just need to see why you are awesome and relevant now, not that you've been here for a while.

I think you and the other dude are over thinking this a bit.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By DoctorWelch

@JasonR86: I've written a 5000 word feature detailing my views on critics/critiques, specifically regarding game reviews, on my own time and basically for fun. And I actively think and write about philosophy. Over-thinking things is basically what I do.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By JasonR86

@DoctorWelch said:

@JasonR86: I've written a 5000 word feature detailing my views on critics/critiques, specifically regarding game reviews, on my own time and basically for fun. And I actively think and write about philosophy. Over-thinking things is basically what I do.

I prefer dumbing things down to a dull, flat edge.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By Akyho

@DoctorWelch said:

Its like your me.....without the dyslexia. How is that? Cos you can check my blogs and see what a Dyslexia inflicted Scottish version of you would be like.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By DoctorWelch

@Akyho said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Its like your me.....without the dyslexia. How is that? Cos you can check my blogs and see what a Dyslexia inflicted Scottish version of you would be like.

Sounds awesome. Now I have other questions about the Scottish version of me...but I'm kinda afraid to ask...well, what I don't know can't hurt me.