West Cork

civilnug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By civilnug

We I'm out the ares-hole end of of Ireland and just logged on to check my mail. Thought I'd share my afternoon with you guys. A visit to a Buddhist centre on a really remote search of land followed by a number of pints of stout and now I chilling out looking at the massive swell breaking over an island having a beer with some scallops and pasta on the way. Sweet jesus it doesn't get much better.

civilnug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By civilnug

We I'm out the ares-hole end of of Ireland and just logged on to check my mail. Thought I'd share my afternoon with you guys. A visit to a Buddhist centre on a really remote search of land followed by a number of pints of stout and now I chilling out looking at the massive swell breaking over an island having a beer with some scallops and pasta on the way. Sweet jesus it doesn't get much better.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By phlegms

Yeah cork is a horrible place. Good thing I live in Dublin, where everything worthwhile happens!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

I much prefer County Cork over Dublin, Cork is where real Irish hearts and culture are found. Dublin may have loads of stuff to do, but it's now far removed from that iconic Irish culture that people really appreciate about Ireland.

Dublin is for tourists on the booze fests, and Londoners on stag weekends now, I would much rather experience real Ireland instead, not some fabric made for young tourists, a re branding of Dublin made to increase tourism and bring new money in.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By phlegms
@Linkyshinks:  I would have said the complete opposite to be honest. If you want to see the "real" Ireland, then you are best off visiting somewhere like Limerick or Galway, they seem to represent modern Ireland without the flashy touristy feeling of Dublin. Oh, and my opinions are completely biased because of the fact I'm a native dub and have a crippling superiority complex with regards to anywhere else in Ireland ;)
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have been to Galway, but not Limerick yet despite hearing much about it.

Well at least Cork is considerably closer to the real Ireland we speak of, even though Cork also panders to the tourists. But then those people have to.

As far as my last trip to Dublin, I should have roughed it up and stayed in some grungy b&b, rather than the Clarence because  ]my girlfriend wanted a romantic stay. it did not turn out that way, I came close to blowing my top in there and getting into a fight. The people in their made me sick!,  I have never in mi loife, seen  people so up there own arses. It was after that break away that I realized Ireland, or at least Dublin really had changed. The first time I went was in the late 90s and it was great then (97), but looking at it now, I can see much has change. I couldn't recognize anything around Victoria Quay it's changed so much.

Avatar image for snoopeasystreet
snoopeasystreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By snoopeasystreet

Going on my biking trip of Ireland with my mate in a few weeks. Hitting Dublin, Belfast, Castlebar, Galway, Cork and Wexford before returning back home to Kildare. Can't wait. Hope the weather picks up for it.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShaneDev

Real Irish hearts are culture are found in Donegal i should know i live there.

by the way Donegal is the most remote part of ireland.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By phlegms

Cork is probably more touristy than Dublin. If you want real, modern, suburban Ireland, Dublin/Galway/Limerick are you best examples. People seem to have this mystical image that the rural cork is the "real" Ireland, but it couldn't be further from the truth quite frankly.

civilnug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By civilnug

well i've returned from the west to the real captial....ahem Cork like but i am not looking forward to heading back to work tomorrow. No more days off until Oxegen.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Gav47

I think you'll find Cavan is were it's at.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have faintlly heard of Cavan, the name rings a bell, but I aint got a clue where it is. 

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By phlegms
@Gav47: Cavan is shit. Even people in Cavan know Cavan is shit.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By evanbrau
@phlegms: Laois man checking in, we are the real kings of being the worst county.

Agreed on people thinking Cork and Kerry are "real" Ireland, they might as well be theme parks for how manufactured and tourist orientated they are. Irelands changed from the bullshit shown in the Quiet Man and Darby O' Gilland not a moment too fucking soon. Although that said it looks like we're going to be getting as badly fucked as we were in the eighties so maybe its time to put on an auld cap and sell sods of turf.
skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By skidd

Guys, come on, everyone knows Wicklow is the place to be....garden of Ireland and all that

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Bruce
@phlegms:

Such as U2 existing!
phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By phlegms
@evanbrau: I hate Laois, they fecked up my English leaving cert exam this year!
I will never forgive them for that...
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By evanbrau
@phlegms: Wasn't that in Louth man? It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was here but I think it was Louth.
phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By phlegms
@evanbrau: Now that I think about it, it was Louth. My mistake :)
Ah well, I still hate them equally!
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By evanbrau
@phlegms: Lol no problem Laois is equal to or greater than almost anywhere in terms of being a boring shithole apart from Offaly our longtime rivals they are the worst.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By super_machine

Well at least you didn't order a bowl of Luck Charms for breakfast :P 

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By gingertastic_10

Yet another reason I want to go to Ireland.

jonsnow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jonsnow007

I was in Ireland in Feburary. I think I may of been in Galway and I stumbled into one of those shops which sell those legal natural "ecstasy" pills. Later on in the night I was in a lovely Irish pub with some friends being merry when lo and behold we engaged in a converstation with some nice American folk. After a while it became apparent that the attractive women sitting in amongst the group was in fact Sheryl Crowe(remember the country/pop singer who sold a few million album back in the 90's) and the others were her family. I was well into my "med-x" stage by then and thought it was hilarious hearing them bagging the absolute crap out of obama, Sheryl Crowe's mother suddendly decided that I was and I quote "creepy" lol in my deranged state. Sheryl however seemed to know exactly what was going on lol. I'm never going to touch that Jameson Whiskey again it makes me do some stupid things :s

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By evanbrau
@jonsnow007: I'm still amazed that fat bitch Mary Harney hasn't copped the legal ecstasy yet.
jonsnow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jonsnow007
@evanbrau: Who the fuck is the fat puddin chemical lovin Mary Harney?
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By evanbrau
@jonsnow007: Lol shes the shambolic minister for health here, shes certainly fat but she does not like chemicals one little bit. She's banned many fun things in the past.
No Caption Provided
jonsnow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jonsnow007

lol @ dublin, it's almost as bad as London. Hardly any actual Irishman in sight just tourists and a shitload of thirdworld immigrants who shouldn't be there.

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By SlowHands

Lucky me: I live close enough to Dublin to travel there if I need to, but far away enough so that I don't have to experience any city nonsense.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dylabaloo

I live in Co.Dublin near the coast away from the main city but i can get the train in, best of but worlds. :D this thread is awesome didn't think their was much Irish Giantbomb users.