Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Giantkitty

adam_grif

>The president is in no way responsible for the Budget. He has nothing to do with it.

Wrong. Quoting "United States Budget Process" in Wikipedia:

"Congressional consideration of the federal budget begins once the President of the United States submits a budget request, which is formulated over a period of months with the assistance of the Office of Management and Budget, the largest office within the Executive Office of the President. The budget request includes funding requests for all federal executive departments and independent agencies."

It can go back and forth between the President and Congress, but the process starts with the President.

>The president does not make policies, congress does.

Not officially, but  one thing he can do is make a "pseudo" bill that he wants to be turned into law. Congress can make changes as they see fit. And if it's a Republican controlled Congress, there's a very good chance it gets passed with minor changes. For example, according to Wikipedia article "No Child Left Behind Act"

"The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (Public Law 107-110), often abbreviated in print as NCLB and sometimes shortened in pronunciation to "nickelbee", is a controversial United States federal law (Act of Congress) that was originally proposed by President George W. Bush on January 23, 2001, immediately after taking office. Congress based its legislation on this "blueprint" proposed by the President."

We wanted it because President Bush wanted us to want it. We're fairly easy to control, especially after such huge disasters. We've found out how dangerous our president is, however. Yes, we can blame him for that.
>No, President Bush wanted it because the American people were out for blood after 9/11. Don't deny it. People wanted something, >they wanted retribution. They didn't give a shit if there were weapons of Mass Destruction, they just wanted to kick a few heads in. >Remember Afghanistan? You people seriously wanted to Invade a whole F'ing country to wipe out a terrorist group? WTF?!

I'll accept the War starting as the President interpreting "the will of the people." I'm sure at the beginning, it was "popular." But as the years went by, it became less and less popular (because wars are expensive), to where less than 30% of the people wanted it anymore and his approval rating dropped to the 20's. If we're going to accept this "populist" view, why are we still fighting? I can see it at 40% to have a "margin of error," but when it drops below that, it shows that's he's not continuing the War because the "people" want it.

I just heard we're supposed to pull out by 2011.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By BoG
BiggerBomb said:
"BoG said:
"Bellum said:
"War Powers act. Right.

No, that wont work. According to our favorite executive branch, it's unconstitutional. Whether it is or not it is is irrelevant, really, as weak as our congress has gotten."
Despite it's constitutionality, it still exists, which means it can be used. As for the power of Congress, maybe it is time Ms. Pelosi got on track to bring it to power again, a la Newt Gingrich. I'd also expect the congress to gain more power with a democrat as president. Really, the balance could shift either way with one party controlling each branch, though I'd wager it will all go to Obama in the beginning, as everyone loves him so much."

Newt Gingrich is both an idiot and a psycho. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of Pelosi, but she is leagues more lucid and competent than Gingrich could even dream of."
The Newt Gingrich who demanded Clinton be impeached? The guy entreating the nation to pronounce death upon any doctor who performs an abortion? Yeah, that's psycho.
The Newt Gingrich who made the "Contract with America," who called to balance the budget, and introduced a new age of federalism? That's an outstanding politician.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By BiggerBomb
BoG said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"BoG said:
"Bellum said:
"War Powers act. Right.

No, that wont work. According to our favorite executive branch, it's unconstitutional. Whether it is or not it is is irrelevant, really, as weak as our congress has gotten."
Despite it's constitutionality, it still exists, which means it can be used. As for the power of Congress, maybe it is time Ms. Pelosi got on track to bring it to power again, a la Newt Gingrich. I'd also expect the congress to gain more power with a democrat as president. Really, the balance could shift either way with one party controlling each branch, though I'd wager it will all go to Obama in the beginning, as everyone loves him so much."

Newt Gingrich is both an idiot and a psycho. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of Pelosi, but she is leagues more lucid and competent than Gingrich could even dream of."
The Newt Gingrich who demanded Clinton be impeached? The guy entreating the nation to pronounce death upon any doctor who performs an abortion? Yeah, that's psycho.
The Newt Gingrich who made the "Contract with America," who called to balance the budget, and introduced a new age of federalism? That's an outstanding politician."

The Newt Gingrich who when asked by a reporter why there weren't any other terrorist attacks after 9/11, he replied saying that the president did a good job securing the country but that he should have allowed a few ones in to keep the American people on their toes? That Newt Gingrich is a good politician? Huh...
Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Gameboi
Gunner said:
"Gameboi said:
"Bush takes a lot of heat, and has had a hand in spending a shit ton of money. However, nobody wants to stop and give him credit for the one thing that he has done during his presidency: doing his best to keep terrorists off balance, and thus diffused to the point that they haven't been able to successfully attack American soil since Sept. 11. The bad guys know that while unpopular, he is to be respected.

Love him or hate him, he deserves recognition for this."
Wow.. That sounds exactly like what a person who is brainwashed would say. Bush did almost nothing to help stop the terrorrists from attacking, only provoked them with a pointless war in Iraq, the only reason we have not been attacked was because he took away some of our rights (patriot act, airport security exc.) and even then there were probably more attempts than ever before. If you ask me that is the most hypocritical thing ever.. Take away the peoples rights to keep your own country safe while "liberating" another country that is doing the exact same thing you are BECAUSE they take people rights away... Dont let the government scare you into thinking they are doing a good job."
I stand by my words, and truly believe them. No brainwashing involved.  The Internet (and most of the media) is full of people who attack Bush every chance they get, and  throw themselves at Obama's feet as the new savior. However, I'm not one of them. I  just look around, see things for myself, and formulate my own opinion. If I were brainwashed as you say, I'd be following the popular opinion, now wouldn't  I? This is obviously not the case.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By BiggerBomb
Gameboi said:
"Gunner said:
"Gameboi said:
"Bush takes a lot of heat, and has had a hand in spending a shit ton of money. However, nobody wants to stop and give him credit for the one thing that he has done during his presidency: doing his best to keep terrorists off balance, and thus diffused to the point that they haven't been able to successfully attack American soil since Sept. 11. The bad guys know that while unpopular, he is to be respected.

Love him or hate him, he deserves recognition for this."
Wow.. That sounds exactly like what a person who is brainwashed would say. Bush did almost nothing to help stop the terrorrists from attacking, only provoked them with a pointless war in Iraq, the only reason we have not been attacked was because he took away some of our rights (patriot act, airport security exc.) and even then there were probably more attempts than ever before. If you ask me that is the most hypocritical thing ever.. Take away the peoples rights to keep your own country safe while "liberating" another country that is doing the exact same thing you are BECAUSE they take people rights away... Dont let the government scare you into thinking they are doing a good job."
I stand by my words, and truly believe them. No brainwashing involved.  The Internet (and most of the media) is full of people who attack Bush every chance they get, and  throw themselves at Obama's feet as the new savior. However, I'm not one of them. I  just look around, see things for myself, and formulate my own opinion. If I were brainwashed as you say, I'd be following the popular opinion, now wouldn't  I? This is obviously not the case."

Oh, so Obama supporters are brainwashed? Hm?

Edit: You know what? I really don't care. The elections are over and there is very little reason for me to get worked up in a political thread. Obama won, that's all I care about.
whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By whackmypinata
Gameboi said:

Love him or hate him, he deserves recognition for this.
So you believe that Bush has been doing a good job to keep out the terrorists? Barging our way into Iraq and dismantling their government will make all of the terrorists happy, right? Bush doesn't deserve any recognition or respect.Gameboi said:
"Gameboi said: I stand by my words, and truly believe them. No brainwashing involved.  The Internet (and most of the media) is full of people who attack Bush every chance they get, and  throw themselves at Obama's feet as the new savior. However, I'm not one of them. I  just look around, see things for myself, and formulate my own opinion. If I were brainwashed as you say, I'd be following the popular opinion, now wouldn't  I? This is obviously not the case."
So everyone with the popular opinion is brainwashed? There's obviously a reason why Bush gets a lot of heat. Although people do praise Obama a lot more than they should, it seems like you're just trying not to conform to the popular opinion.
That, and you're an obvious Republican.