What European country and/or South Pacific country would you...

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By schizogony

recommend I, an American looking to relocate, move to? (Note: I work by way of the internet so I can live anywhere) 

What do you think about Thailand? I have an e-friend there.   It looks like paradise from pics OH MAN.  And my American dollars go farther there than they do here.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2  Edited By Suicrat

If you're into transsexuals and political unrest; Thailand's the place for you.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I want to move my ass to Norway. Beautiful blonde girls and gorgeous wilderness, coupled with some of the best political and social climate in the world.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SSValis

Denmark 

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By schizogony

Yeah, those damn Asian archipelagos are pretty corrupt.  I've looked into The Philippines  Corruption can show up throughout it too. 

Norway is definitely on my list. I have a childhood friend in the Finnish army (closest friend I have to Norway). I will re-evaluate a relocation to there. Thank you! 

EDIT: Is there anything special about Denmark? I've never even thought about it. Maybe I should. I know nothing about Denmark.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RetroIce4

I would say Finland, but you most def. don't wanna go to Thailand. My fam just got out right before all that corruption/revolt and rebellion started coming up. Sounds rough over there now...

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By crusader8463
@Suicrat said:
" If you're into transsexuals and political unrest; Thailand's the place for you. "
What if you really love one of those, but not the other?
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By schizogony
@RetroIce4 said:

" I would say Finland, but you most def. don't wanna go to Thailand. My fam just got out right before all that corruption/revolt and rebellion started coming up. Sounds rough over there now... "

Yeah, man, I could have a friend in Finland too. That could make things way easier than being along. Thanks for the advice! 

South Pacific out then? Any good country there? I know SIngapore is great and English-speaking, just really expensive (comparable to Los Angeles or Orange County, CA, which is out of my budget).
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By Suicrat
@crusader8463 said:
" @Suicrat said:
" If you're into transsexuals and political unrest; Thailand's the place for you. "
What if you really love one of those, but not the other? "
Then you're straight fucked.
eloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By eloj

Just know that Norway is a very expensive place to live, even compared to the other nordic countries.

Denmark, well, the language is all but impossible (IMO).

thai_jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11  Edited By thai_jedi
@schizogony: Hey I'm in Thailand right now! I live here and was born here! Yeah it's a great place. My dad works by way of internet he is a fund manager and manges peoples stocks on the stockmarket and uses bloomberg so he works at home here in thailand. I recommend you come and live here because we need all the tourists and expats we can get because ever since the protests no one was come even though those protests were so isolated. I just graduated from the international school of Bangkok. Also I recommend you stay out of Bangkok cause well, it's the city. I suggest you live north of Bangkok in a place called Nonthaburi the province which I live in. There is easy access to broadband and there are hella malls here! Also, I live in an expat compound full of europeans, americans, and east asians (koreans japanese). I recommend you live here no doubt about it. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By schizogony
@thai_jedi said:

" @schizogony: Hey I'm in Thailand right now! I live here and was born here! Yeah it's a great place. My dad works by way of internet he is a fund manager and manges peoples stocks on the stockmarket and uses bloomberg so he works at home here in thailand. I recommend you come and live here because we need all the tourists and expats we can get because ever since the protests no one was come even though those protests were so isolated. I just graduated from the international school of Bangkok. Also I recommend you stay out of Bangkok cause well, it's the city. I suggest you live north of Bangkok in a place called Nonthaburi the province which I live in. There is easy access to broadband and there are hella malls here! Also, I live in an expat compound full of europeans, americans, and east asians (koreans japanese). I recommend you live here no doubt about it. If you have any questions please feel free to ask! "

You sound like my friend in Thailand. He was born and raised there and loves it (born to English father/Thai mother). Well, of course he loves it; it's his home! That's good to hear that you want expats to come. I figure if I mess with nobody, they won't mess with me, right? I realize an American tourist sometimes can be a target for theft or worse, but, heck, I'll kick their ass if they rob me.  

I will find out what city my Thai friend lives in and maybe be able to just up and move there (this won't be for another year and a half though). Thanks for the offer to contact you. I will do this!
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By Icemael

Sweden is pretty nice, terrible winters aside.

thai_jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thai_jedi
@schizogony: Hey yeah to throw it out there for what it's worth, try checking out Malaysia. Alot of people get discouraged from looking at it because of the fact that it's a mainly muslim country and that it sounds similar to Indonesia (which is a toilet...DON'T GO THERE). But their infrastructure is better than that of Thailand, alot of the people speak english because it used to be a British colony, and it's all around more developed.  The people there are really nice, it's easy to get things done, foreigners can own land (if that's your thing). So give Malaysia a hard look too but it'd still be awesome if another Giantbomber came to Thailand.
vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#15  Edited By vager

One of the small islands from Azores, probably Santa Maria. Takes around an hours drive to get to the other side of the island, if I remember correctly. 
Provided they have Internet access there. I don't think I can live with out the internet anymore.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By gosukiller

I can personally recommend The Netherlands or northern Belgium. I don't know how your language skills are, but everyone I know speaks/understands english so you won't feel lost due to language barriers.

Scandinavia is always a good choice.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By guiseppe
@Icemael said:
" Sweden is pretty nice, terrible winters aside. "
This.
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By schizogony

I have checked out Malaysia and saw the muslim thing and then gave up, actually, lol. Although, it does look very nice. I shouldn't rule it out. Though, having both you and my friend, Harrison, living in Thailand, I'm more inclined to move where someone I know AND a GiantBomb member live. Anyone who is a fan of GiantBomb is cool, well most of us. But, seriously, it sounds corny but I would trust a GiantBomber over someone from any other forum on any other site. 

I will be going to the Netherlands to begin with. A week or three there THEN I will use the second destination on my airplane ticket (since I would have to have a place to leave to). Two weeks in Amsterdam smoking weed then settle in the South Pacific or somewhere hopefully cheap in Europe. My plan is to move around every six months, when my visitor visa would usually run out. Until I find a country I want to stay in, that is (if I ever do). Maybe it's the first one I go to or maybe the 10th or beyond. It will be an adventure one way or another. But I want it to be cheap, so I should spend a lot of time hopping around South Pacific islands until I find a country I like, then try to get a longer visa so I can live there for a while, save up money, move to Europe and continue country-hopping. I could blog it omg. 

Sweden I certainly want to visit and maybe move to. It's definitely going for that "perfect country" thing and could win.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gunslingerNZ

If you're looking for a good place to live but not a massive change in culture I'd say Australia or New Zealand. I'm not sure if you meant to include those when you said south pacific though since you've mainly talked about the Asian countries.

thai_jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thai_jedi

Giantbombers ftw

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By schizogony
@gunslingerNZ said:
" If you're looking for a good place to live but not a massive change in culture I'd say Australia or New Zealand. I'm not sure if you meant to include those when you said south pacific though since you've mainly talked about the Asian countries. "
Those two places will without a doubt be on the list. I've been wanting to move and live in each country, for a while now. Good call. Plus, they are very affordable parts of each country that are 10x nicer than the blinding Las Vegas desert, where I currently live.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By lazyturtle

What a wierd couple of choices..Europe and the South Pacific are as opposite as can be. 

The tropics are all about hot, getting wet and socializing. I live in Hawaii, which is pretty much normal USA except that you can hike or surf by picking a direction and driving for 15 minutes and most people AREN'T white (San Diego might be similar but much colder). Its expensive compared to anywhere on the mainland, SF or NYC included. If you like outdoor activities, this is an awesome place to live. If you are an indoorsman, it sucks. One thing that really sucks: calling back east. If your folks live (or you have business on) the east coast, you've got to manage your day.
 I also used to live in the Caribbean..pricey there too, but tropical nice.  I really liked Bonaire, which is part of the Netherlands..what a cool place. I'd suggest looking into Costa Rica as a alternative too.

The best part about living in the tropics: you have 1 wardrobe. Theres none of this summer and winter clothes, just clothes. For example the only time I wear pants is when I go to a nice dinner or work..the rest of the time its shorts or swimsuits. 

Here is a better question for you: What do you like to do in your spare time? What languages do you speak? Those two questions make a huge difference...Oh...another question: how would you obtain a visa?

Balboski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Balboski

You should try Kazakzstan. I hear it is gorgeous this time of year.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By guiseppe
@schizogony said:
" Sweden I certainly want to visit and maybe move to. It's definitely going for that "perfect country" thing and could win. "
It is a darned good country to live in. It's relatively unexpensive, unless you want to live in the big cities, we've got excellent healthcare and I dont know.. I live here? :D.
Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schizogony:

Are you running from something? :D

Being Danish, I find it hard to recommend Denmark... 

But can't really compare since I haven't lived anywhere else.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By YoThatLimp

New Zealand

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vision
@eloj said:
" Just know that Norway is a very expensive place to live, even compared to the other nordic countries.  Denmark, well, the language is all but impossible (IMO). "
Yeah, danish is a real hassle to learn, even for us who's born and raised here. :P 

Most of us speak english though.

If you like a beautiful landscape, friendly people (most of them atleast, there's always someone being a dick), high prices and bad accents Denmark is the place to go i guess.
bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By bwooduhs

New Zealand is where its at.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Norway has the highest HDI of anywhere in the world so that's got to be worth a look. Don't move to the UK, I don't like it.  

Australia or New Zealand would be a good place to move to also, if you could get in.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho

You can move to Puerto Rico, American Samoa, and Guam without having to worry about foriegn country visitation BS.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By mrfizzy
@schizogony: come and live in Melbourne in Australia, we've got your back. 
Avatar image for psyborg0815--DEFUNCT
psyborg0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By psyborg0815
@doublezeroduck said:

" Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany.  "

Everything but germany is fine.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Meowayne

Can't go wrong with non-UK Northern Europe, really. Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Norway, Finland, Germany.

apertura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By apertura

Sweden, I guess. 

Avatar image for psyborg0815--DEFUNCT
psyborg0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By psyborg0815
@doublezeroduck said:
" @psyborg0815: Germany is great. I loved it there. I was a bum for a month or so just walked around, listened to street musicians eating good food drinking good beer. Pretty girls, it was nice.  "
I guess it's fine, if you're just on vacation, but I don't see a why you would want to live here. I've never lived in a bigger city and thus don't really see the appeal, if you're not moving there because of your job.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Meowayne

but I don't see a why you would want to live here [Germany].  

++ Extremely high standard of living, huge selection and variety of different locales and sights, enormously friendly towards english-speaking immigrants, excellent infrastructure 
+ Food, health care
o Language and general obnoxiousness of the German people and media, education system
- Comparably expensive, people are never happy and usually more honest than you might be used to, the weather
-- Bureaucracy as you have never seen before, oversensitized to violence in the media, can be very dull depending on where you live
Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sadisticham

Who bases a life changing decision like moving to a different country on some random nobodies forum posts? Very strange.

Anywho I've been to places like Germany, Spain, France and I still prefer the UK to them. But that's me. That's me experiancing these countries for myself.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'd probably say France.
Lots of vacation, wine, beer at McDonald's and free daycare.
...plus, learn a second language while your at it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Meowayne
@ProfessorEss said:
" I'd probably say France. Lots of vacation, wine, beer at McDonald's and free daycare. ...plus, learn a second language while your at it. "
Change that to: Being forced to learn a second language because of ridiculous french language patriotism.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#41  Edited By Jazz

Get your Ass to Mars. 
If you can't do that, south of France...boom. 

@Meowayne said: 

@ProfessorEss said: 

" I'd probably say France. Lots of vacation, wine, beer at McDonald's and free daycare. ...plus, learn a second language while your at it. "
Change that to: Being forced to learn a second language because of ridiculous french language patriotism. "
Or you could change that to: Not being an arrogant bastard and actually bother to learn someone else's language. 
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cap123

I visited the Netherlands and it was great, so i think you'll enjoy yourself. It is very flat.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Meowayne
@Jazz said:
@Meowayne said: 

@ProfessorEss said: 

Change that to: Being forced to learn a second language because of ridiculous french language patriotism. "
Or you could change that to: Not being an arrogant bastard and actually bother to learn someone else's language.  "
q.e.d.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By evanbrau

If there were any jobs here I'd say move to Ireland, there aren't so don't but if you have some definite way of getting a job I'd recommend it here in a hearbeat. Beautiful scenery, plenty to do if you are into outdoor pursuits, English as a first language, culture thats different but not alienating.

The minuses are it's expensive, job shortage, slightly backwards in some of the more isolated rural spots (but I imagine that holds everywhere). 

As for the South Pacific I was in Vietnam and the people are super friendly but there as a country it might not be ready to the whole ex-patriot living thing just yet. My experience of Thailand was purely confined to tourist areas so I'm not going to be much help on how it is there for expat living.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jazz
@Meowayne:  
Er, no. 
You live in France, you speak French...or at least attempt to. 
I live in Spain, and even though my Spanish is horrendous, I try and speak Spanish. 
To do anything else would be arrogance. 
Sic Semper Superbia.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Meowayne
@Jazz said:

" @Meowayne:  Er, no. You live in France, you speak French...or at least attempt to.  "

True. You should attempt to. Of course you should learn the discourse language as fast as possible when you permanently move to a new country. But you should still be able to and allowed to resort to English in case of need, without being ignored/treated like a dick.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jazz
@Meowayne:  
Never happened to me, must have been a nasty experience. 
TBH I have a harder time in the UK when I speak...but there you go.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By Azteck
@Icemael: Word.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By lazyturtle
@Meowayne:  We Americans do the same thing to non-English speakers all the time. I've been around a bit and never had much of a problem as long as I'm making a sincere effort to try.