• 67 results
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BraveToaster

I've been looking around for iPod alternatives and was wondering what kind of MP3 players all of you own. I don't really want another iPod especially after all the shit that's been going on with Foxconn in China. I just need a portable audio device that doesn't break during exercises.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By intro

I own a Zune HD 32 gigabyte. Had it for 3 years now I think and it hasn't had a problem.

TronCorleone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TronCorleone

Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to find a decent mp3 player of considerable storage capacity that is not iPod. I like Zune a lot (I have 3) but their infrastructure (Zune marketplace) is more and more geared to the Windows phone and they recently stopped the great deal of $15/month with 10 free music downloads. I've heard Cowon makes a decent player, too, with a fair amount of storage. For more ideas, I found this site recently: http://anythingbutipod.com/

Good luck!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

I have been waiting for my iPod classic to die for 4 years now, and it just won't happen. We got my brother an Archos internet tablet for the christmas before last, but I don't think that most people are willing to use anything that bulky for media.

Unfortunately large capacity dedicated media devices seem to be very hard to find these days.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaChosen

I use a PSP: D: I don't know why.

dbol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dbol

Get another iPod because pretending you care about what happens with Foxconn employees impresses nobody but yourself.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DopeToast

I've had the same 120 GB iPod classic for over three years, and I love the damn thing to death. Never had any problems with it. And I use it to exercise with 6 times a week.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Only thing I have is a 3rd generation, 8 GB iPod Nano that I received 4-5 years ago. Still does what I need it to, so I haven't bothered replacing it although it's getting a bit worn out.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By VanderSEXXX

just the 1st gen 2GB ipod nano which I got for free when I bought a Macbook Pro. :p it's been the only mp3 I've had eversince.

codynewill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By codynewill

@BraveToaster said:

I've been looking around for iPod alternatives and was wondering what kind of MP3 players all of you own. I don't really want another iPod, especially after all the shit that's been going on with Foxconn in China. I just need a portable audio device that doesn't break during exercises.

I hate to break this to you, but no matter what MP3 player you get, it will be from an asian sweatshop. Hell, everything is from sweatshops now/

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777

Hmmm.... I've got a PSPgo. That counts, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to part of the Zune HD master race, but it sadly broke when a couch fell on it. Now I have an iPod touch.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Wemibelle

I still have an old 4GB Nano from the third generation, I think, but I mainly use my iPod Touch when I want to listen to my amassed collection of music (which is admittedly piddly). Most of the time, I just use Pandora to mix things up or Youtube if I have something specific in mind.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By big_jon

Zune.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vrikk

160 GB IPod Classic Video (5th Gen). I have over 10,000 songs on it and it still has over half the space left - I love it.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Samsung Galaxy Player. Android OS and the memory is expandable with a microSD slot. Been using it for about 3 weeks now and I am loving it.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mesoian

I have a 6 year old 160gb ipod classic. I love the size and that I don't have to make decisions about what I have on there, since I can have everything. I've had to replace the headphone jack 3 or 4 times though, and it makes me wonder what I'm going to do when the thing decides to stop working all together.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By audiosnow

1 of: iPod Classic, 6th Gen, 120GB

1 of: Zune, 2nd Gen, 80GB

4 of: SanDisc Sansa E280 V2, 8G - These are not only discontinued, but very hard to find, and worth any effort to find.

I use my Zune at home, because it's a beautiful piece of hardware. The iPod leaves the house because I really don't care what happens to it. The Sansas are for running, gym, and yardwork.

The problems I've had syncing with iTunes are completely equal to the problems I've had syncing with the Zune software. Each one does its best to be a headache. The Sansas work with ANYTHING. A Sansa E200 series running Rockbox is unbeatable. I'm still praying for a Rockbox port to the iPod Classic; I found out after buying it that Apple went mad with the security on the Classic and it's as of yet unported.

If you have a lot of music, I'd get a Zune Classic or one of SanDisc's models. If 8 gigs is enough, get an E280 or a Sansa Fuze 1st gen.

The iPod has good hardware running pretty awful firmware. Which is odd, considering that the hardware is made by these guys while the software is made by these guys.

@dbol said:

Get another iPod because pretending you care about what happens with Foxconn employees impresses nobody but yourself.

And just ignore this guy.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By recroulette

2 iPod shuffles I never use. One original model and one of the little squares. 

1 iPod Nano 2nd Gen which I use for all of my stereos in my house and in my car. 

The Peace Walker special edition Walkman, which is actually really good for working out or doing any work since it stays on your head, ugly though.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

@dbol said:

Damn. You're not impressed? I guess I need to delete that part, then.

:(

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GuyIncognito

One of the cheaper sony walkman mp3 players with some monitor-quality earphones. The sound quality is very good.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hot_Karl

GOT A MOTHERFUCKING ZUNE HD 64GB BABY

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BraveToaster

@mlarrabee: Okay, I was actually looking at the Sansa Clip on Amazon. Are you familiar with the durability of this model?

eugenesaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By eugenesaxe

iPod classic, 80 gigs. A few crappy pixels on the video, otherwise it's been great. I had a Sandisk first, it didn't last too long.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Hizang

iPhone is all I need.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By audiosnow

@BraveToaster: One of my siblings owns the 1st gen model. I've looked at it a bit, and hardware-wise it seems to be just as good as the E200s.

The actual clip itself is sturdy, and large enough to securely attach to pretty much anything.

The button placement and "feel" seem great, although I haven't played with it for more than five minutes. The placement looks to have changed a good deal between generations.

It's very small, about the size of a Tic-Tac dispenser. That causes the screen size to be a problem for some, though, again, that seems to be largely fixed on the newer model which is a bit larger, I think.

The MicroSD slot lets you hold plenty of music. I bought a couple of these for the owner, effectively tripling the capacity. Twenty-four gigs is very respectable for a player you can forget is in your pocket, especially for a total of sixty bucks. I haven't been able to convince her to use Rockbox, but I'd love to see how it improves the experience.

So while I can't speak for that generation, I've been VERY impressed with all of SanDisc's Sansa line. And looking at the reviews, I'd say the users are, too.

The best aspect of these little SanDisc players is how user-open they are. I've been very experimental with my E280s, and have completely broken them by any standards several times. Not just bricked. We're talking formatting recovery partitions; stuff you shouldn't be able to recover from. But a firmware web search, some work with a Linux Live CD, and half an hour, and those things are as good as new. I once both ruined and fixed one in a single Starbucks trip. You CAN'T kill these things.

Oh, one side note. A lot of users complain (legitimately) about Sansas' inability to play while charging. Rockbox firmware allows charge-and-play.

Also, there are no OEM accessories, but I've been using some brand X wall charger for 6 years now with excellent results.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zella

I use my phone with a 32gb sd card. It's android, and with poweramp it's a pretty good music player.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Go retro and carry a boombox on your shoulder!

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BraveToaster

@mlarrabee: Thanks for the reply. I noticed that one of the reviews mentioned that newer models don't allow you to save playlists on the expandable memory. This ends up forcing users to manually sift through their songs to find a song on the memory card. That doesn't seem like too big of a problem for me, since I doubt that I'm going to be putting more than 4 gigs of music the device. I just went ahead and bought the Clip Zip. I'll have to check out RockBox too.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iam3green

i have a sana view 8gig. it's pretty good. lately, it's been acting funny, like it randomly turns off, and today the music stopped and screen froze.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BlatantNinja23

Zune HD 64 GB, had a Zune 8 and Zune 80 both broke (my fault), and my local Walmart still actually has a Zune 120 on its self for like $200 (id like to have all my music in 320 again)

I have an iPhone 4 ( didn't even bother putting music on it. though iCloud later i guess technically changed that) and have owned iPod Touches before as well. Personally I've always preferred using my Zunes for media. It's amazing to me how superior syncing and managing Zunes and WP 7 devices (except for ringtones, make that separate please Microsoft, not as a genre) are then syncing apple devices with iTunes. Podcasts alone would keep me on zune, I mourn the day my last zune dies. Hopefully by then there's another "pmp" device I'll wanna use.

But if you don't want an iPod product based on the Foxconn stuff then have fun by any product let alone electronic devices.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Sooty
@BraveToaster said:

I've been looking around for iPod alternatives and was wondering what kind of MP3 players all of you own. I don't really want another iPod especially after all the shit that's been going on with Foxconn in China. I just need a portable audio device that doesn't break during exercises.

Sansa Clip+ / Clip Zip, better sound quality than an iPod and no iTunes requirement. They're really good and super lightweight, I remember going running with an iPod and it wasn't a good experience. (weight + non-flash drive)

Although I am tempted to switch to just using my phone for everything, but I kind of like having them separate, it means more phone battery for me. (not that my phone has bad battery, it can easily last 2 days with a lot of usage which is great for a smartphone)
Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nekroskop

I've bought 3 iPods since 2003(2nd Gen 13GB, 80GB Classic, 4th gen touch) and every single one, except the touch obviously, has died of harddrive failure.

I don't know why I keep buying these things...

TheEvergreyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheEvergreyOne

64 GB Sony NW-A847. Sounds good for a portable device. I've been sticking with Sony since the old tape walkmans and I have always been happy with their performances.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By weegieanawrench

Before my ipod nano 8GB 3rd generation and current generation ipod touch 32GB, I had a Creative Muvo 1GB. Its sound quality was okay, it was really easy to load songs on it (drag and drop), and the AA battery lasted for days. That was years ago though and I assume that if Creative is still around, their mp3 players are worlds better.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By penguindust

I have a 3rd gen Ipod and a 5th gen Ipod Video. No problems with the 5th gen to speak of and I've had it for 3 years. The 3rd gen has trouble holding a charge which is why I just use it playing in a stereo cradle.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By MysteriousBob

HTC Wildfire S.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my ipod classic is about 6 years old now and i've not had a single problem with it, great chunk of tech

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mikey87144

@OllyOxenFree said:

Samsung Galaxy Player. Android OS and the memory is expandable with a microSD slot. Been using it for about 3 weeks now and I am loving it.

Can I put power amp on it?

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Xel

While I have an iphone, I really don't understand why someone would want to use their phone as an mp3 player since they'll be left unable to make calls when the battery runs out. Apple certainly doesn't help with their woeful battery life.

As for the mp3 players I do have, I have a 32GB Sony NWZ-X1060 Walkman, a 1GB Sony NW-S203F Walkman and a 16gb Iphone 4. I used to have a 60GB ipod classic but the HDD screwed up.

Personally, I find that the Sony Walkmans are fantastic alternatives to the apple ipods and iphones, with the added benefit of being a dedicated device so you don't have to worry about being unable to make calls once the battery runs dry.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

iPod Nano, but I haven't used it since Amazon CloudDrive / Google Music have made MP3 players worthless.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jetsetwillie

i started with a diamond rio and then moved on to a sony NWE-3.

but since i owned my first (the first) ipod i've always owned them. im not apple fanboy i just always found them the best. i worked in a store which sold MP3 players so i could always try before i bought and always went for an ipod.

sound quality wise in my experience the a good set of headphone has far more baring on this then different model and manufactures.

i just use my iphone now though with a good set of sennheiser headphones

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By Deranged

I rarely listen to music when not in my car or on my laptop, so I guess if I did, it would be on my iPhone.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By OllyOxenFree
@mikey87144 said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

Can I put power amp on it?

Poweramp as in the app, yes.
zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45  Edited By zidane_24

Still got my black 80 GB iPod Video around somewhere, every couple months I'll sync it up just to have all of my music on something in case anything happens to the files.

Before I had an iPod, I had a Rio...something or other. Solid MP3 player.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mikey87144

@OllyOxenFree: Sold.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just use my phone now. I bought the first generation Zune when it first came out (watching widescreen movies on that screen during finals was bangin') but I sold that a couple years ago.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bennyboy

samsung galaxy nexus

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49  Edited By grilledcheez

I have a Zune HD currently (an old 120 lying around too)...the Zune HD is awesome

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually don't own any kind of MP3 player and I never did own one, which kinda weirds me out now since I never thought about it before.