• 60 results
#1 Posted by frankfartmouth (1020 posts) -

I was walking around today and came up behind this guy who appeared to have a fucking samurai sword stuffed down the back of his shirt. It was clearly popping out the top.

I lived near Detroit for quite awhile, so I'm no stranger to odd sights on the streets, but this is a new one.

Is he going to take samurai classes somewhere? Did he just watch Kick-Ass and is cruising the streets for badguys to eviscerate? Is this legal?

#2 Posted by Krullban (1088 posts) -

You've found Ryu Hayabusa.

#3 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

The laws for length and type often vary for knives, but I'm almost certain carrying a samurai sword is illegal.

#4 Edited by ShaggE (6829 posts) -

Something tells me that watching him trying to quickly pull that sword out would be hilarious.

#5 Edited by Ryuku_Ryosake (219 posts) -

He is obviously on his way to Junes to do some investigatin'.

#6 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Uh yeah, that's super weird.

#7 Edited by SlashDance (1845 posts) -

Someone's having a bit too much fun with Metal Gear Rising.

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (8608 posts) -

Definitely illegal, although there may be some leeway depending on area you're in and whether or not you have the weapon secured with something along the lines of zip-ties.

#9 Posted by Pr1mus (3978 posts) -

Aren't some parts of Detroit just like the old west? I don't think he cares if it's legal or not.

#10 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

He is probably just arsing around, have you seen those umbrellas that look like samurai swords?

#11 Edited by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

Geralt of America, ladies and gentlemen.

#12 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Welp, you just found Ghost Dog.

#13 Posted by Vextroid (1445 posts) -

Totally.

#14 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5150 posts) -

He's obviously cosplaying and on his way to an anime convention.

#15 Posted by Morningstar (2251 posts) -

Hahaha. You made my day.

#16 Edited by mandude (2666 posts) -

Legal? Pretty sure that the last thing your man cares about is the law.

#17 Edited by Winternet (8082 posts) -

@mrsignerman44: Ghost Dog looked way cooler than that.

@ryuku_ryosake said:

INVESTIGATION TEAM GO!!!

#18 Posted by myketuna (1771 posts) -

"Power, Equality."

"Always see everything, my brother."

#19 Posted by rentacop (114 posts) -

Not sure if taking pictures is the best idea. You're one "flash: on" away from getting strider'd.

#20 Edited by zFUBARz (637 posts) -

He is probably just arsing around, have you seen those umbrellas that look like samurai swords?

That's what I'm hoping, but then it is Detroit.

Then again maybe he's the Highlander and he's going to avenge Ramirez.

#21 Edited by MistaSparkle (2150 posts) -

I wouldn't risk taking a picture of that guy and pissing him off.

#22 Edited by Fattony12000 (7633 posts) -

#23 Posted by GTCknight (706 posts) -

I'm already liking this topic.

As for the dude, who knows maybe he's off to get some payback on someone, or he just wants people (mainly troublemakers) to stay away from him.

#24 Edited by ThunderSlash (2040 posts) -

Everyone knows that Inaba was based off of Detroit.

#25 Posted by mosespippy (4594 posts) -

I'm not sure about in the States but in Canada carrying a sword is legal as long as it isn't concealed.

#26 Edited by Jams (2967 posts) -

So highlanders are real? Follow him and see if he gets into a fight. Then if he cuts off the other guys head you know he's immortal.

#27 Posted by gogosox82 (428 posts) -

I found this hilarious and terrifying at the same time.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (15300 posts) -

Start shouting "GO NINJA GO NINJA GO NINJA GO!"

#29 Edited by frankfartmouth (1020 posts) -

@rentacop said:

Not sure if taking pictures is the best idea. You're one "flash: on" away from getting strider'd.

I kept my distance. This is the original picture. I wanted to get a better one, but he turned down the next side street, and I didn't want to make it obvious I was following him. Obviously.

#30 Edited by LTSmash (669 posts) -

After some Googling:

Sec. 38-10-42. - Possession in public, etc., of knives having three-inch or longer blade prohibited; exception.

It shall be unlawful for any person to be in possession of a knife with a blade more than three (3) inches in length in any of the streets, alleys, parks, boulevards or other public property or schools in the city, or in any dance hall, theater, amusement park, liquor establishment, store or other private property generally frequented by the public for purposes of education, recreation, amusement, entertainment, sport or shopping. This section shall not apply to any person in possession of any such knife when it is used or carried in good faith as a tool of honest work, trade, business, sport or recreation when the person in possession of such knife is actively engaged therein or actively engaged in going to or returning from such honest work, trade, business, sport or recreation.

So, I assume this gentleman is a licensed samurai.

#31 Edited by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I lived near Detroit for quite awhile

I think this is your answer.

#32 Edited by Marcsman (3333 posts) -

Great pic man.

#33 Posted by Gladiator_Games (447 posts) -

Oh man, i know Americans are lazy.. But even their NINJAS are lazy...

#34 Posted by Seb (366 posts) -

I don't even know.

#35 Edited by Sanity (1955 posts) -

@myketuna said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

"Power, Equality."

"Always see everything, my brother."

Nothing to add other then i love this movie.

#36 Posted by MB (13300 posts) -

If dude was taking a class somewhere, I'm sure he would have been smart enough to have the sword in a proper bag or case.

Don't worry, it won't be long before the cops shoot him.

#37 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

A lot of things can be said about this picture, but "lazy?" What?

#38 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4713 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@gladiator_games said:

The poster is implying that the person in the picture is a ninja, thus whey he has a sword. He then is implying that they are a bad ninja because that person is out in the open, hardly sneaky at all.

#39 Edited by Krullban (1088 posts) -

I'm gonna guess something serious, and say he probably bought the sword from some guy on craigslist or something, and he's going home with it but didn't want to just straight up be carrying a sword up the street.

#40 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@gladiator_games said:

The poster is implying that the person in the picture is a ninja, thus whey he has a sword. He then is implying that they are a bad ninja because that person is out in the open, hardly sneaky at all.

Ah, yes. But one might also say that he's trying to blend in with the people on the streets, Assassin's Creed style, by wearing local garb and acting super casual.

#41 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4713 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

@mcghee said:

@gladiator_games said:

Ah, yes. But one might also say that he's trying to blend in with the people on the streets, Assassin's Creed style, by wearing local garb and acting super casual.

very true. That would be the best way to hide in a city environment. Their only mistake was the weapon choice.

#42 Edited by Jimbo (10069 posts) -
#43 Posted by Gamer_152 (14126 posts) -

My guess is maybe he just feels cool carrying a samurai sword. Seems like a real good way to run into trouble with the police.

#44 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

There's a reason why the Samurai went out of "style". You don't carry a sword to a gunfight.

#45 Edited by AiurFlux (903 posts) -

I just imagine some fat nerd in his basement sword fighting by himself. Kind of like Star Wars Kid.

That's probably what this is.

#46 Posted by PenguinDust (12668 posts) -

These laws vary from state to state, so wearing a sword in public is probably illegal in Michigan. Now where I live, Florida, it's not illegal as long as you're not acting in a threatening manner.

"If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083."

There are laws which require a license to carry a concealed weapon such as a knife, but there are no laws which prohibit openly and visibly carrying a sword, machete, or katana. My former boss used to carry a folding knife on his belt. It was over 3 inches.

#47 Edited by crusader8463 (14433 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

@mcghee said:

@gladiator_games said:

very true. That would be the best way to hide in a city environment. Their only mistake was the weapon choice.

If he was a true Ninja you would not have been able to take the photo. The moment the shutter on the camera snapped your neck would have snapped milliseconds after.

#48 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

that's pretty funny.

#49 Posted by Ramone (2981 posts) -

You're already dead.

#50 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6407 posts) -

Were you near the Junes at the time?