What were forums like "Last Gen"?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude

I really didn't start checking out forums until I got broadband in '05, before that I had dial up and just read reviews and kept it simple. I never joined discussions on forums until I joined Giant Bomb last year.

I was just curious. Have you noticed a change in the forum culture from last gen to this gen? Or is it the same old internet?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

i would say it's the same old internet. it didn't seem like anything changed really, same kind of things being discussed.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

probably more mature discussion

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By artofwar420

Neogaf says hi. And you could always go back quite a ways in Neogaf's threads page, to check it out yourself.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Claude
@artofwar420 said:
" Neogaf says hi. And you could always go back quite a ways in Neogaf's threads page, to check it out yourself. "
Crap, I didn't think about that. Shit, I can google with the best of them. We do have more options from last gen though. Giant Bomb for example.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By artofwar420

I don't know, maybe we have DIFFERENT websites, some went under, some were created recently. Well, there is a saturation of gaming sites though, yes. But forums, ignoring the changing topics, haven't changed that much. At least I only see two types of forums, laid back and Nazi strict.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

I've been on the net since 1996, and I used to chat about videogames in Geocities HTML chat & PC gaming IRC channels.  Overall internet discussion has changed very little. 

I feel like years ago on the net people were slightly more individual minded.  These days people tend to want to think alike to fit in.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Claude
@Diamond said:
" I've been on the net since 1996, and I used to chat about videogames in Geocities HTML chat & PC gaming IRC channels.  Overall internet discussion has changed very little.   I feel like years ago on the net people were slightly more individual minded.  These days people tend to want to think alike to fit in. "
Wow, so the more the user base overall, the more sheep we have. Interesting.
killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By killdave

The forums had more sex and offensive, racist remarks. Old internet was a bad bad place

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond
@Claude said:
Wow, so the more the user base overall, the more sheep we have. Interesting.
I have a feeling that sites like Youtube, 4chan, NeoGAF, Facebook, Gametrailers, Myspace and others with similar unique cultures have made people more that way.  Try to propose a unique perspective on any of those sites and you'll be shot down by about 1000 people.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

Picture responses were all the rage. I can barely remember pre-lolcat internet. Dancing bananas and such. 
We were damn cavemen. Not like now.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By teh_destroyer

Lithium Gamespot forum days say hello, just had to mention it.