What's the difference between a graphic novel and a comic book?

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Why_So_Serious

So last night I asked people where I could find some Batman comics besides a comic store. They said at a book store I could find some graphic novels. Well I am wanting to collect comics and was wondering what the difference between a comic and graphic novel was?

Dakota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Dakota

Well I personally don't know a lot about comic books, but I would think that the defining factors would be the length and the bind.

osmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By osmiles

A graphic novel is usually a type of comic book aimed at more mature audiences, and as a set storyline similar to a novel. Whereas a comic book will usually not have a set storyline and will continue for quite a while if the comic keeps selling.

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By efrucht

Graphic Novels are basically story-length comic books. The average comic book is split up intp episodes, usually. A graphic novel may contain a full story, with a beginning, middle, and end, while a comic book can show only one segment of a larger story arc.

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Aarny91
efrucht said:
"Graphic Novels are basically story-length comic books. The average comic book is split up intp episodes, usually. A graphic novel may contain a full story, with a begging, middle, and end, while a comic book can show only one segment of a larger story arc.
"
This shit right here.
henjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By henjin
efrucht said:
"Graphic Novels are basically story-length comic books. The average comic book is split up intp episodes, usually. A graphic novel may contain a full story, with a begging, middle, and end, while a comic book can show only one segment of a larger story arc.
"
Pretty much
Avatar image for deactivated-57c23600813c8
deactivated-57c23600813c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

efrucht said:
"Graphic Novels are basically story-length comic books. The average comic book is split up intp episodes, usually. A graphic novel may contain a full story, with a beginning, middle, and end, while a comic book can show only one segment of a larger story arc.
"
Agreed
DarkBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By DarkBlyth
Raspinudo said:
"efrucht said:
"Graphic Novels are basically story-length comic books. The average comic book is split up intp episodes, usually. A graphic novel may contain a full story, with a beginning, middle, and end, while a comic book can show only one segment of a larger story arc.
"
Agreed
"
Agreed And Agreed
jakeroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jakeroc

Efrucht hit the nail on the head.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By fr0br0

Stop bumping old threads.

jakeroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jakeroc

Watchmen was actually originally released as a comic series and compiled into a graphic novel >_____>

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Absurd

I think that Graphic novels are more lengthy and have more complicated storylines than comic books.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Size and scope, I think.

The Watchmen was released over 12 comics originally, they stuck them all together as one "book" and it became a graphic novel.

EDIT: Someone already said basically the same thing I just said, I hope my punishment is spanking.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Colonel_Cool

Comic books come out in different issues, kind of like a magazine, where a graphic novel is like a whole novel in comic form.

Susan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Susan

If you want to be a collector, it pretty much has to be comics, right?  I have a friend with an amazing collection but he swears that the glory days are long gone and he would never start a collection now if he was just starting out.   

I only buy graphic novels because I don't hear about good ones until they've been out a long time.  Plus you can get a lot of graphic novels at the library for free!
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

think of the original batman movies as being comics, and the new ones as being graphic novels and you start to get the idea. 

their for a more serious minded audience who expect much more from a writing standpoint and the illustrations come second yet are normally expected to be of a much better quality. 
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Comic books are smaller
Graphic novels are bigger
those are the main differences

Graphic novels are not still steeped in the realm of for kids, comic books are where graphic novels can pass off with very very very adult themes you wont see this nearly as often in comic books.

Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Apollo
Jaconius said:
"Watchmen was actually originally released as a comic series and compiled into a graphic novel >_____>
"
And you get graphic novels of superman and basically any character with a comic series.