What's the Most Pretentious Movie You've Ever Seen?

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By davidwitten22
@PrivateIronTFU said:

" We all know what pretentious means. People can stop saying we don't. "

Are you sure? Either you don't know, or you're just idiots.

Dogtooth was pretty fucking pretentious, especially the ending. It was like "hey, we're an artsy movie, see?"
mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By mrv321

In search of a midnight kiss, why?

Black and White for no reason
Speaks about love
Speaks about love but tries to be all indie about it
Tries to capture human emotion

cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By cgoodno
@Colonel_Cool said:

" Definitely Watchmen. The monologues especially made me cringe inside. It didn't help that the movie was boring as fuck. "

Which is hillarioius to hear considering the monologues were straight from the graphic novels. 

Most pretentious to me was The Man From Earth.  It's not a bad movie and is a concept movie that makes you see things a little differently, but all together it felt like a writer's attempt to raise two middle fingers to all things religious.  I don't see the need to shove that sort of thing in the face of others.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@davidwitten22 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:

" We all know what pretentious means. People can stop saying we don't. "

Are you sure? Either you don't know, or you're just idiots.
Oh, thank you. You're quite the genius. I'm so glad some random asshole on the internet can call me an idiot because he doesn't agree with my selection. And I'm the moron...
Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Sagalla
@Purple_Proletarius: 

I'd love for you and some of these other naysayers here to say what film you find pretentious...  If not then what are you here for?  Just to be pretentious yourself???
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By crusader8463

Passion of the Christ.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Dany
@Ezekeilpurger said:
" @Dany said:
 and black Sean
Oh God I'm dying over here hahah. "
Heh, e is next to w...but yes, black sean, haha
RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By RoujinX

Inland Empire.... or, Fight Club.
Avatar image for raccoonusdoodus
raccoonusdoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By raccoonusdoodus
@crusader8463 said:
" Passion of the Christ. "
XD
Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Frederik
@Sagalla said:

" @audiosnag:   OK I'll take this one.  Do you remember in the film how Batman gets all these amazing surveillance powers, and how he finally finds the Joker?  Morgan Freeman says this is too much power for any man to have, and he goes to resign.  But Batman is a righteous force for justice, who needs to have all these powers in order to find the bad guy, a terrorist named the Joker.  For me this was an uncomfortable parallel to the business in the US about the Patriot Act and so on.  Trying to make Batman cutting edge by weighing in with a kind of contemporary political commentary could be seen as pretentious.  This might seem like a stretch to some, but this part stood out in particular and rubbed me the wrong way, and I much prefer the original Tim Burton film for this and a few other reasons. "

The difference is that this is a parallel that you drew and not one that (from what I've seen and heard) Nolan or the film critics and fans that praised it have mentioned. let's take a minute and look at the definition of the word:  

pretentious /prɪˈtenʃəs/ 
adjective attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed. 

Since you're the one affecting greater importance upon the film it is you, not it, that is pretentious...
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Baillie

Book of Eli, in recent memory anyway.

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By neozeke

I really want to say Juno, but it's really not that pretentious, unless you count it imposing indieness and quirikiness then yeah it was pretty damn pretentious. 

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I'm pretentious because I'm making a baseless value claim on my own pretentiousness.

Walheimat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Walheimat

I never thought about The Dark Knight being pretentious. Hmph. It is a movie about a drag queen beating up non-consenting potential partners (i.e.: "criminals") at night, but the filmmakers never try to pretend there's more to the film than mindless entertainment.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By HandsomeDead

4 pages and this thread has already dissolved into nonsense.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Lautaro
@Sagalla said:
" @audiosnag:   OK I'll take this one.  Do you remember in the film how Batman gets all these amazing surveillance powers, and how he finally finds the Joker?  Morgan Freeman says this is too much power for any man to have, and he goes to resign.  But Batman is a righteous force for justice, who needs to have all these powers in order to find the bad guy, a terrorist named the Joker.  For me this was an uncomfortable parallel to the business in the US about the Patriot Act and so on.  Trying to make Batman cutting edge by weighing in with a kind of contemporary political commentary could be seen as pretentious.  This might seem like a stretch to some, but this part stood out in particular and rubbed me the wrong way, and I much prefer the original Tim Burton film for this and a few other reasons. "
Are you serious?
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#68  Edited By vaiz

What.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#69  Edited By Castiel
@birdflu777 said:

" I'm gonna go with Antichrist. All the time it's just showing you these images but they have no meaning to me. "

#Sigh#  

For some reason I think that says more about you but whatever. 

I'm probably also gonna go with The Dark Knight. 

No your right punkxblaze Avatar is probably the most pretentious piece of shit I have seen in ages.
chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By chstupid
@Sagalla said:
Dude the political commentary is why people like it.
neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By neozeke

I also feel Inception tried really hard to be mind-bending but, in all honesty, it's just a heist movie with "layers of complexity." But, really, if you pay attention, it's a pretty simple plot line that literally wears thin after one viewing, rather than movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind were one could pick up much more about the story after one viewing. Plus, with the exception of Dicaprio's character, everyone is a one-dimensional cut-out, and even then all we really learn about Dicaprio is he inadvertently caused the death of his wife and he left his children, which oh guess what doesn't really matter since the only backstory we get for his wife is "She's his wife, he loves her, he causes her death." Sure, it's a redemption story and you have to have a tragedy occur, but at least give her some character. It's almost as bad as Marley and Me, where we're supposed to cry over the dog in the end. But really, why should we? The only reason that film gives us is beacuse Marley's a dog. The movie shows like 3 moments where there was some connection between the family and the dog and hundred's more of the dog acting poorly. Inception's the same, just with a woman.  

Boom 

/rant over

kittencake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kittencake

gummo.

don't watch it.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By dichemstys
@Castiel said:
" @birdflu777 said:

" I'm gonna go with Antichrist. All the time it's just showing you these images but they have no meaning to me. "

#Sigh#   For some reason I think that says more about you but whatever.  I'm probably also gonna go with The Dark Knight.  No your right punkxblaze Avatar is probably the most pretentious piece of shit I have seen in ages. "
Maybe I should rewatch it?
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By dichemstys

I would also say Avatar because James Cameron was like "LOOK BITCHES THIS SHIT IS FLY AS HELL." Not quite.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#75  Edited By Daveyo520

Avatar with its blatant people are bad to nature and the white man did bad things to Indians message. It would be okay if it was just a bit subtle.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By gamefreak9
@Bwast said:

" Inception. "

I agree... god they thought their plot was so good, when it was bs
@Sagalla
said:

" I'm going to say 8 1/2, by Fellini "

WHY what did u not like about it? 
@Lautaro said:
Are you serious? "
Dude Batman is not pretentious at all, they have like one or two metaphors but thats going too much. Mainly the only metaphor they have is the Joker being a mad dog. The rest of the movie is about batman as the one doing justice undercover to fix and find what cannot be done in court, and Harvey as the lawful, abiding man with Willpower bringing justice. 
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

First, I disagree. Antichrist and The Idiots aren't that pretentious at all. 

That being said, The Element of Crime is. Even Trier called it pretentious.

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By spudtastic

I watched about 5 minutes of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe" the other night. Taylor and Burton arrive home drunk to a dirty kitchen and walk around cussing about it. This flick was supposed to be 'all that' back in the day.....Pullease!

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#80  Edited By bacongames

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Idiocracy

That's all I got.  Sadly I won't watch that many movies.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By TwoLines

Dark Knight is pretentious?
What?

Anyhoo- Into the Wild. Gah.
It wasn't BAD, mind you. The main character's just pretentious as all hell. 

I've had enough of this society, I'm better than all of you, I'm going to live with nature.
Dude. Get your head out of your asshole. And get away from those damn hippies!

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By captain_clayman
@Azteck said:
" I'm starting to wonder if most of the people in this thread know what pretentious means. "
yeah...how the hell is pulp fiction pretentious?  that movie's awesome.  everyone i know who's seen it likes it.
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Colonel_Cool
@cgoodno said:
" @Colonel_Cool said:

" Definitely Watchmen. The monologues especially made me cringe inside. It didn't help that the movie was boring as fuck. "

Which is hillarioius to hear considering the monologues were straight from the graphic novels. 

The graphic novels are equally as pretentious.
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By BigLemon

Any Michael Moore film, but most assuredly Bowling for Columbine.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Deeveeus
@Ventilaator said:
" Donnie Darko "
100%
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@Ventilaator said:
"Donnie Darko "

Or not at all?
Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Deeveeus
@chstupid said:
" @Sagalla said:
Dude the political commentary is why people like it. "
Just because people like it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't pretentious...that said I don't think this movie qualifies. 

For me it's Donnie Darko, reason being that it plays itself up as this big, deep concept film with an astounding story, but yet it makes no real sense and you need to read additional info on the SE DVD to actually fully understand...it makes itself out to be much deeper and intelligent than it truely is. And the people who love it 90% of the time cannot even tell you why, they like it because it's "fucked"....
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Dany

Transformers 2, such pretentionous

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Aetheldod

Being pretentious is bad because.....???? Sigh , all I heard is "ALL movies must be shallow hollywood/american hero must kick evil brit bad guy ass" were everything must be explained upfront , because making us think is being pretentious .....

Ok today Im being very trollish I think :(

Gjerbil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#90  Edited By Gjerbil

The Beach is serious bullshit.

zoidberg89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By zoidberg89

Being a film student, I'm subjected to mandatory screenings for a lot of pretentious films. The worst offender recently was a short called 'Klipp Klopp' by Andrew Kotting. Basically its ten minutes of him pretending to be a horse, underlined with some juvenile attempts at poetry. One of the biggest sacks of shite I've ever seen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arab_prince said:
" @Azteck said:
" I'm starting to wonder if most of the people in this thread know what pretentious means. "
I don't think any of them do. "
I agree.   
TheH1ppo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TheH1ppo
@Dany said:

" Transformers 2, such pretentionous "

I don't know, man. I think it became a justifiably brilliant spiritual message when Shia LeBouf went to Robot Heaven. The spot-on social commentary of the racist twins also resonates with me. Truly a landmark in film making, what a masterpiece.
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By dichemstys
@TheH1ppo said:
" @Dany said:
" Transformers 2, such pretentionous "
I don't know, man. It became a justifiably brilliant spiritual message when Shia LeBouf went to Robot Heaven. The spot-on social commentary of the racist twins also resonates with me. Truly a landmark in film making, what a masterpiece. "
My life was changed.
KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#95  Edited By KillyDarko

The Book of Eli

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#96  Edited By Gabriel

Any Spike lee movie.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By HandsomeDead
@zoidberg89 said:
" Being a film student, I'm subjected to mandatory screenings for a lot of pretentious films. The worst offender recently was a short called 'Klipp Klopp' by Andrew Kotting. Basically its ten minutes of him pretending to be a horse, underlined with some juvenile attempts at poetry. One of the biggest sacks of shite I've ever seen. "
Have you had to see Riddles of the Sphinx yet?
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By CL60

My god, nobody knows what pretentious means in here.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#99  Edited By StarvingGamer

Orange County

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Azteck
@CL60 said:
" My god, nobody knows what pretentious means in here. "
Indeed. 

Hey, guys, just because you dislike something doesn't mean it's pretentious. Learn the difference.