What's the Most Pretentious Movie You've Ever Seen?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#151  Edited By ProfessorEss

It's funny how pretentious people can get when they start talking about how pretentious they think something is.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By hicks91
@Gizmo said:
" Bad Boys 2 "

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By veektarius

Dead Man (with Johnny Depp) really rubbed me the wrong way as a pretentious flick.  Thinking back, it had a lot of earthy elements in it, but I think they were pretentiously earthy. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#154  Edited By ryanwho
@avantegardener said:
" Fuck Inception, it's got to be the most straight forward film I've ever seen, why do people think it's 'complex'. God it boils my blood. When you you've watched and understood any of these, give me a call.  "
Almost like a simple movie is creating the pretense of more going on than there really is. You know, like the theme of the thread. 
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#155  Edited By Vinchenzo
@xyzygy said:
" @audiosnag said:

" Ok I could maybe maybe see someone saying Inception is pretentious, even though personally I think that's a big stretch and pretty stupid to be honest, but I don't understand how The Dark Knight applies. That movie doesn't try to be anything more then what it is, a character driven crime thriller. Not liking a movie doesn't automatically mean it's pretentious.  "

I was the first to say the Dark Knight so I guess I'll reply. Where did I say I didn't like it? I liked it, I just thought it was extremely pretentious, and I'll tell you why. I felt like during the months leading up to the Dark Knight, it was feeding off the whole Heath Ledger thing. His role was being heralded as the best acting in years, every time you heard "The Dark Kinght" it would be followed with "Ledger's final film" or his "magnum opus" or "swan song". And to top it off, his death was almost being attributed to the role he played. It was being said about his performance htat he got so into the character of the Joker that he couldn't sleep, he almost drove himself mad with insomnia and the overdoes of sleeping pills was a result of that. That, I think, is more of the major reason why people held this movie in such a mysterious shroud before seeing it - because they wanted to see just how affected this actor was by the character he was portraying. The statement I'm trying to get at though is that The Dark Knight should be known as it's own movie: not Heath Ledger's final film.

I know that the marketing for the movie didn't explicitly say any of this but you'd have to be blind and deaf to not have heard of or thought of that association.  

Mind you, this was when the movie first came out. I think that for people who seen it in the years following it's release it would probably have a different effect but I just happened to be interested in the movie while this whole thing went down and so that was just the association that the movie had, there's no way around it. 

Keep in mind the topic of this thread is the most pretentious movie YOU'VE seen. 

Sagalla made a quote on the top of the 2nd page of the thread: 

@Sagalla

said:

" @arab_prince:   I suppose you think you are being clever.  Pretentious means that you are making a dubious, or undeserved, claim for distinction.                                          "

And I feel that a lot of the distinction that The Dark Knight got was for the fate of Heath Ledger and not for the actual movie.  

@avantegardener:
You don't understand Mullholland Dr., Vanilla Sky, 2001 or Memento? I thought they they were all pretty self explanatory in their endings. 

Also, 

@punkxblaze

said: 

" Avatar. 

What. "

"
What the fuck? That doesn't mean the movie was pretentious (no, I'm not arguing whether or not I think it is). What happened with Heath Ledger was not part of the movie, you can't call a movie pretentious based on the things that happened outside of the film. What... you... god... and no it's not difficult to avoid the association between the media and the film itself.

This thread blows.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

o_O  I dunno.  Planet of the Apes, maybe.  

A lot of people are listing critically acclaimed movies.  If a movie is attempting to impress importance that is actually -warranted-, then it's *not* pretentious...I guess.
Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Tally_Pants
@Azteck:  LOL thank you. As i was reading the replies to this post i was beginning to doubt my own understanding of the term Pretentious...
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#158  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Bwast said:

" Inception. "

pretentiousness - the quality of being pretentious (behaving or speaking in such a manner as to create a false appearance of great importance or worth)

How?
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#159  Edited By Jeust

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#160  Edited By rjayb89

All I can think of at the moment is The Black Dahlia.

anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By anarchyzombie9

ITT: People who don't know the definition of pretentious.

Avatar gets my vote. James Cameron can eat a bag of dicks while riding into the sunset.

Avatar image for captain_awesome
captain_awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By captain_awesome

A serbian film, It was supposed to be a metaphore for the serbian government or something, but I call bullshit on that. It's a terrible and Deeply disturbing film for the sake of being a terrible and deeply disturbing film.

Avatar image for captain_awesome
captain_awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By captain_awesome
@afrofools: Yeah mission impossible was totally pretentious.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#164  Edited By Akeldama
@Colonel_Cool said:
" Definitely Watchmen. The monologues especially made me cringe inside. It didn't help that the movie was boring as fuck. "
Have you read the book? Did you have any idea what those monologues were saying?
landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#165  Edited By landon

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@xyzygy said:
" The Dark Knight. "
you're not such a band person after all, Ben.. now we agree on something
PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By PokeIkzai

Primer.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By ventilaator
@avantegardener: 

I've seen most of the movies you listed and understood them perfectly.

Except Donnie Darko, which can't be "Understood". The writer/director threw a bunch of bullshit together and then a bunch of artminded douchebags watched it and made up a "meaning" to it, which fully isn't there in the movie, some people just looked at it long and hard enough to come up with something that could kinda-sorta-maybe fit if you squint hard enough.

Putting Donnie Darko next to the other movies in that list that I've seen would be like putting together a list of the top 10 videogames of 2010 and having #10 be "Page 3 out of my VCR manual"
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#169  Edited By vaiz
@Korolev said:
"Avatar isn't Pretentious - it was badly written, but it wasn't trying be an "intellectual" film. It was a straight up adventure/action film combined with hefty doses of CGI wonders."
It is, though. James Cameron himself has said it's supposed to be some pro-environmental propaganda flick, and made it out to be the next greatest thing in cinema. And then you have the pedestal all its raving fans held it on as some sort of god-film that proved their up-their-own-asses view of how terrible humanity is and how they are above it and want to go live on Pandora. It was like a conduit for psuedo-intellectual bullshit.

That said, the movie is exactly what you just said it is when actually watched, and that simple fact buried beneath layers of unwarranted praise and self importance surrounding the film, is why I consider it to be a pretentious piece of shit.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Azteck said:
" @CL60 said:
" My god, nobody knows what pretentious means in here. "
Indeed.   "
what the fuck is wrong with you guys? ive been reading this thread for several minutes trying to see SOMEONE who's saying "no one knows what pretentious means" to TELL US WHAT IT MEANS 
IF YOU THINK NO ONE KNOWS ITS MEANING, TELL US WHAT THE FUCK IT MEANS AND WHAT WE'RE DOING WRONG 
OTHERWISE SHUT THE FUCK UP 

wow man.. about 10 people claimed we dont know what it means and they just stopped there.. the fuck is wrong with you guys today ? fuck ! 

WHAT DOES PRETENTIOUS MEAN? WE ALL LOOKED IT UP, WE CAN SEE WHAT IT MEANS, WE'RE APPLYING IT TO THE MOVIES WE FIND PRETENTIOUS, YET WE DONT KNOW WHAT IT MEANS. FUCKING PARADOX IS A FUCKING PARADOX.
coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By coryrx8

The Fountain. It was like the director was sitting there thinking "how much symbolism can I possibly cram into two hours?" without pausing to consider whether or not the final product would actually benefit from it. I suppose it's the whole validation-by-rejection thing... the more people call it inaccessible, the more the director can feel smug and superior to the masses since they clearly don't "get him."
lemmdawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By lemmdawg

2001 A Space Odyssey and Mulholland Drive.   Both for the actual movie and the critical acclaim surrounding them.  They both seemed to be purposefully abstract to the point that at the end i just scratched my head confused feeling like I watched a movie about nothing.  Though 2001's soundtrack is classic. 

I can see the Dark Knight being pretentious.  The movie's tone is way more serious than the batmans of old and screaming take my themes seriously while the older batman movies were way more campy.   It's all opinion anyway. 

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By VWGTI

Lost Highway.  David Lynch is the master of nonsense.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By fraser
@HandsomeDead:  I came here to say Riddles of the Sphinx.

Well that's a lie. It was to say Wavelength or Back and Forth by Michael Snow.

Tbh if we get all Avant Garde up in here it'll get ridiculous. Warhol's Empire might have to take it.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Azteck
@Ahmad_Metallic: Slow down there, cowboy.
callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#176  Edited By callumbay

Southland Tales.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Azteck said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: Slow down there, cowboy. "
yes i expected as much from you... well you gotta understand that when you go through 6 pages of people saying that other people have the wrong idea, yet they just leave it at that and contribute NOTHING or try to explain their point, its pretty fucking maddening. 

but im sure at this point you feel like you're a part of a cool guild who knows what pretentious means, unlike the uneducated masses in this bad thread, so you'll continue acting.. like you are now. cool and unhelpful..  whatever, no one really knows what pretentious means. i guess its a cool word to tell others that they dont know what it means 

My god no one in this thread knows what the fuck pretentious means !
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By dichemstys
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Azteck said:
" @CL60 said:
Indeed.   "
what the fuck is wrong with you guys? ive been reading this thread for several minutes trying to see SOMEONE who's saying "no one knows what pretentious means" to TELL US WHAT IT MEANS IF YOU THINK NO ONE KNOWS ITS MEANING, TELL US WHAT THE FUCK IT MEANS AND WHAT WE'RE DOING WRONG OTHERWISE SHUT THE FUCK UP  wow man.. about 10 people claimed we dont know what it means and they just stopped there.. the fuck is wrong with you guys today ? fuck !  WHAT DOES PRETENTIOUS MEAN? WE ALL LOOKED IT UP, WE CAN SEE WHAT IT MEANS, WE'RE APPLYING IT TO THE MOVIES WE FIND PRETENTIOUS, YET WE DONT KNOW WHAT IT MEANS. FUCKING PARADOX IS A FUCKING PARADOX. "
Win.
M_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By M_33

secrets of droon
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Azteck
@Ahmad_Metallic: Why would I ever think that I'm better than anyone? I'm just saying that I have a hard time seeing why a movie like The Dark Knight would be pretentious. And instead of flipping out as you seem to be doing, trying to keep calm. You should try it, it's rather relaxing.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#181  Edited By Afroman269

Despite liking the movie quite a lot, I would have to say Book of Eli for sure. 

Also I took the time to go through this thread, I like retarded it is now. "I hate this fucking movie, I'll call it pretentious"!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Azteck: see how you're being a dick? you still havent given me an answer : why dont people in this thread know what pretentious mean? what does it actually mean? 
you yourself dont seem to know what it means !  
and stop telling me to relax, im relaxed 

fyi i got nothing against you. from what ive seen, you're a cool guy. you're also swedish, that makes you superior by my personal standards.
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Zimbo

This thread is pretentious. 
This post is pretentious.
That post is pretentious.
 Ahmad_Metallic is pretentious. (and doesn't know why)

Conclusion: Pretentious sounds weird.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By CL60
@birdflu777 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Azteck said:
" @CL60 said:
Indeed.   "
what the fuck is wrong with you guys? ive been reading this thread for several minutes trying to see SOMEONE who's saying "no one knows what pretentious means" to TELL US WHAT IT MEANS IF YOU THINK NO ONE KNOWS ITS MEANING, TELL US WHAT THE FUCK IT MEANS AND WHAT WE'RE DOING WRONG OTHERWISE SHUT THE FUCK UP  wow man.. about 10 people claimed we dont know what it means and they just stopped there.. the fuck is wrong with you guys today ? fuck !  WHAT DOES PRETENTIOUS MEAN? WE ALL LOOKED IT UP, WE CAN SEE WHAT IT MEANS, WE'RE APPLYING IT TO THE MOVIES WE FIND PRETENTIOUS, YET WE DONT KNOW WHAT IT MEANS. FUCKING PARADOX IS A FUCKING PARADOX. "
Win. "
Not quite. Just because he looked up pretentious and applied it to a movie doesn't mean that movies pretentious.  

"  Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed." 

Explain to me how movies like Dark Knight are pretentious. Or how Inception is pretentious. Or Pulp Fiction? They aren't everybody in this thread is just using a word they don't know to say something bad about a movie they dislike.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Azteck
@Ahmad_Metallic: I wouldn't be able to explain in words what pretentious means if you asked me, but I know when it's used correctly or not. Sure, I haven't seen all the movies mentioned in this thread, and so I can only speak for a small part, but a lot of people seem to call things they dislike pretentious without it making any sense. For example, The Dark Knight isn't really pretentious because it's not trying to impose a greater importance upon itself. It's a movie, and a good one, but I have never seen any of the actors or the producers claim it to be more than it is (other than the normal sales talk that comes with all movies) If people feel that it is, it's largely their own opinion on the movie speaking rather than the movie actually being a certain thing.

However, a movie like 2001: A Space Odyssey I can sort of see where they're coming from because it's trying pretty hard to be artsy and so on.

Just out of curiosity, what about me being Swedish makes me cool?
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#186  Edited By JasonR86

It may not be the most pretentious that I've ever seen but it's the only one I can think of.  Cameron's Avatar is incredibly pretentious.  Apparently, 'man' is a terrible animal...well, except for the one man who united and saved all of Pandora that is.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Arker101

Does Quentin Terintino count as pretentious?    I like some of his work, but I would describe him as more over the top then pretentious.

It seems like we're talking more about the pretentiousness that these movies garner , then they actually have. 
Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

requiem for a dream...and the thin red line

DallyDoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By DallyDoll

Requiem for a Dream is definitely up its own ass.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By dichemstys
@DallyDoll said:
" Requiem for a Dream is definitely up its own ass. "
Aronofsky in general I think is.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Pibo47
@Azteck said:
" I'm starting to wonder if most of the people in this thread know what pretentious means. "
Yeah im getting that feeling  as well...
_Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By _Nuno_
@arab_prince said:
" @Azteck said:
" I'm starting to wonder if most of the people in this thread know what pretentious means. "
I don't think any of them do. "
@The_Philosopher said:
" Harry Potter. "
If any confirmation was needed, here it is.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#193  Edited By citizenkane
Lost in Translation

Not only is it pretentious, but it is also terrible.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By CptBedlam
@CitizenKane said:
" Lost in Translation  Not only is it pretentious, but it is also terrible. "
Not at all.

@topic: The Limits of Control by Jarmusch. Man that movie is long, just long. And nothing else.
Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Otogi

Even though I like Hal Hartley, I've gotta say that No Such Thing was probably pretty god-damned pretentious.

Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Where_Am_I
@Azteck said:
" @CL60 said:
Indeed.   Hey, guys, just because you dislike something doesn't mean it's pretentious. Learn the difference. "
it's a forum, what do you expect?
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Red

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By toowalrus

Metal Gear Solid 4. BOOM.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By toowalrus

Just kidding, I love Metal Gear.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#200  Edited By djstyles92

I am Love.  Rorie made it out to be a beautiful film, but it was a bunch of rich people living superficial lives and worrying about superficial things.  I couldn't stand more than 30 minutes of it.