When it comes to working out do you find weight lifting or cardio harder?

• 61 results
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll When it comes to working out do you find weight lifting or cardio harder? (220 votes)

Cardio: Doing cardio can be alittle to much for my poor heart at times. 46%
Weightlifting: Fucking with those heavy weights ain't no joke, you can snap your shit up real quick if your not careful... 22%
Both: Its a desperate struggle trying to do both types of exercises for long, sometimes I might feel ashamed. 8%
Honestly I can do both exercises without much problems. I guess you can say I'm badass like that.. 9%
I don't feel motivated enough to start exercising, but I want to see the poll results. 15%

For me it was tough trying to do both exercises in the beginning. Last year when I was overweight I had to push myself. I had days when I was in pain, tired, sick, but I managed to keep going to the gym. I always walk to the gym even in bad weather conditions. I tried not to give myself excuses to not workout.

I felt like it was something I had to do for myself. I knew if I didn't do nothing about my weight, it would have come back to haunt me sooner or later. Anyway my determination eventually lead to me losing alot of weight. In the process I built some muscle and I can see the definition more. Though now I have the issue of having loose skin.

So I've been focused more on weight training. I do total body workouts 3 times a week, and cardio on the days I'm not lifting weights. Nowadays I can do both exercises no problem cus I'm badass like that..

• 
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

I think cardio. Yeah, weights can be heavy and all but usually you do a few reps and your done challenging yes but to get the most out of cardio you really have to push your entire body to the limit and keep it there for extended periods.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I chose cardio mostly because I cannot run for shit. Im sure its a terrible technique but 5 or so minutes and I could easily call it a day. When im on my bike though, I could do an hour to hour and a half tired but fine. I also feel when im not distracted rowing machines can go by quite quickly.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I crush weights. But ask me to jog for 15 minutes and I can't handle it.

Also - I am fat.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Weights. Im a skinny fucker and the exercise bikes and cross trainers at my local gym are my jam but any serious attempt at weightlifting kills me

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By tourgen

cardio just takes so much time. you just have to keep the heart rate up for longer periods of time to get anything out of it. not hard, just so boring. podcasts and music help. the brain chemicals rush after a good cardio is nice tho.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By falserelic

@demoskinos said:

I think cardio. Yeah, weights can be heavy and all but usually you do a few reps and your done challenging yes but to get the most out of cardio you really have to push your entire body to the limit and keep it there for extended periods.

In the beginning it took me awhile to get use to it. When I was fat I could barely do cardio for half an hour, but the more I kept doing it I started lasting longer and longer. To the point I could do cardio for 3 hours long, but once I realized I was doing more harm to my body. I only stuck doing cardio for 1 hour.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mellotronrules

with good audio distraction i can push through most anything- but abdominal exercises (or anything else core that messes with your diaphragm's natural rhythm) i find a challenge.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

with good audio distraction i can push through most anything- but abdominal exercises (or anything else core that messes with your diaphragm's natural rhythm) i find a challenge.

Listening to music helps me alot when I'm working out. It makes exercising go by faster and more fun..

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I tend to be ok with both but recently I've grown more attached to cardio and lost interest in building more muscle than I need. I prefer having good cardio instead now.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

This is entirely relative to the situation, I mean either can be as hard or easy as you want to make it, personally though the way I push myself I tend to find both challenging. Some days cardio is a bitch, some days weights are a bitch.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon said:

This is entirely relative to the situation, I mean either can be as hard or easy as you want to make it, personally though the way I push myself I tend to find both challenging. Some days cardio is a bitch, some days weights are a bitch.

Sometimes I can feel like that. When I'm very sore, and I have a day where I have to hit the weights again. It can be a pain sometimes, as for cardio when I'm really tired it can also be a pain, but I always go through with it for most part.

Otleaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can bike on a medium speed for two hours and a high speed for an hour, but 10 minutes running and my lungs and legs are doing everything in their power to kill me.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

After lifting weights I feel like lying down on my couch enjoying some water and listening to a podcast. After doing Cardio I usually feel like dying.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 1 cardio machine I hate with a passion is the stair master. O god I don't know where to begin with that machine. Holy Shit was I sweating like hell after a few minutes on that machine. I felt like my heart was going to explode out of my chest. I just couldn't handle it I ain't fucking with that machine no more, just no.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By falserelic
@mattgrant said:

@falserelic: the stair master was patented by satan. trufax

Well its one hell of a machine. One machine that I avoid at all times..

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Plyometrics. I AM /ENDING THIS THREAD.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends. I guess for me, long, sustained bouts of aerobic cardio are 'harder', but I quit the chore of machines a long time ago. I've found a way to do it that I enjoy in the form of hiking twice a week. Sunshine, fresh air, nature, all that, so it doesn't feel like a chore. I'll also walk my dog a couple times a week. Other than that, in the gym lifting 4-5 times a week. It's 'hard' too, but I get pumped for that shit and enjoy it. It's the ultimate escape from everything else that cardio just doesn't provide me. Utterly in the present moment, undistracted, working through a set. When you make real progress, hard things become enjoyable, y'know.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm okay with both, but some specific exercises are really hard. Like, I don't mind extended jogs or bike rides, but any attempts at sprinting make me feel horrible. Most weight exercises I do just fine at, might even say I enjoy doing bench presses and curls, but squats I dread and always take the longest to do. Put on Gonna Fly Now and ain't nothing slows me down, though.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally feel you on the loose skin part myself, I've been working out for like a year and six months now and lost a drastic amount of weight pretty fast which caused that to happen. It's annoying. But yeah anyway, now that I'm on summer holidays (I cut down slightly during college) I do five days a week full body workouts and three days a week I walk 9-10 miles. I find it more difficult to do weights tbh, once the weights become really heavy and you have to focus on form as much as lifting it becomes a bit of a chore. Cardio is fine, I just put a podcast on and daydream the whole time.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Cardio, mostly because I find it very, very boring. I'm having trouble going for a run outside, because there is no part of my city or the surrounding countryside that I'm not sick of seeing. When I go to the gym I usually dedicate around 3 minutes to running or walking on the treadmill, but I just can't find a way to ease the tedium.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely cardio

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Quarters

Cardio. You have to push yourself harder for longer with it. With weight lifting, you can get by with adrenaline bursts. I've actually been focusing on cardio recently, hoping that I can get a little better at it. I've never been able to run well in my life, so I'm trying to fix it where I can.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chop

I don't find either hard, just both are incredibly boring. I'd say cardio is worse since it takes a hell of a lot longer.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just ran earlier and got a cramp on my right calf so that really sucks. Weight lifting is fine cause your training should adjust with your ability to lift.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By falserelic

My main goal on this fitness journey Is to make the strongest version of myself. Physical and mentally I want to feel like an animal a beast. I want to make all kinds of gains, and get all kinds of women. I want to have that aswome muscular body where you see the vascularity. Though I am seeing my veins alittle bit now sense I've gotten lean.

Its in my hands it feels like alittle snake is under my skin. When I was overweight I couldn't see it at all, but now its more visible and it feels nice, real nice. Its like I'm making progress getting stronger. Hell I can wear clothes that I couldn't wear before, and look like a playa.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cardio: Doing cardio can be alittle to much for my poor heart at times.

Y'all are pussies.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the time I read "When it comes to working...", I got winded. So, I guess there's your answer.

I really should at least get back to my daily walks if nothing else. I have an almost freakishly effective metabolism, so it's hard to motivate myself to get in shape when I look like I more or less am already. That's just surface, though (although my blood pressure is weirdly good as well)... it doesn't take much to wear me out these days. If it weren't for the aforementioned metabolism, I'd be about 300-350 pounds, the way I live.

I might as well get into the habit of exercise now... I waved goodbye to 20 some time ago, and 30 is coming faster than I'd like. Something tells me my magic stomach isn't going to keep pulling miracles for long.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Cardio is way worse for me. And always less fun.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By stonyman65

I've never had a problem with weights at all and I enjoy weight lifting but running for me is tough after a few minutes just because I never really run so I don't have enough leg strength.

Also, I'm fat so running is a lot harder than it should be.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Pushups. It never gets any easier. Just more. It's a willpower exercise really.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cardio for me. I tried jogging after a few years of not jogging; good lord, that kicked my ass.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I find weights more difficult. I started this year at 120kg. Used the 'Couch to 5k app' to get me doing some running. I've always found that I can run during sports but just going for a run had been difficult. I can manage around a 40 min run at 9k/h now which I'm happy with.

Weights, even though you get more out of it, I feel like I haven't accomplished anything sometimes. I find weights are bad for me to do if I'm in a bad mood/don't feel like the gym, because I'll talk myself out of it (do a lesser weight/finish a rep early/only do two sets of reps, not 3), whereas with cardio, I'll set myself a time and have to stick to it.

I'm currently doing a mix of playing sports, weights and cardio and pretty much trying to go each day/night. I had a bad calf injury a month ago which stopped me from doing anything significant and I also used as an excuse to stop goin (hit a bit of a willpower wall). Made it a mission of mine to get back into it this week.

I'm at 100kg now so if I could get rid of another 15 or 20kg I'd be stoked.

itsjustclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cardio.

If you got someone with you when you are doing weights time fly's by, and you finish before you know it. Most of the time its easy to find someone to do it with.

I usually do cardio by my self and have trouble focusing and my mind tends to wander to damn much. I also can never convince anyone to go out for a damn jog at the least, apparently only weirdos like me like to jog in the early morning before the sun comes out and tries to kill us all with heat.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By Seppli

@itsjustclark said:

Cardio.

If you got someone with you when you are doing weights time fly's by, and you finish before you know it. Most of the time its easy to find someone to do it with.

I usually do cardio by my self and have trouble focusing and my mind tends to wander to damn much. I also can never convince anyone to go out for a damn jog at the least, apparently only weirdos like me like to jog in the early morning before the sun comes out and tries to kill us all with heat.

A swim can substitute just fine for jogging. A daily swim is something I'm looking into. That'd definitely be something to improve my life. My knees are fucked from an old sports injury, so jogging is out of the question - swimming however is not. Just a question of joining a suitable facility and getting some cheap-ass basic gear.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

By the time I read "When it comes to working...", I got winded. So, I guess there's your answer.

I really should at least get back to my daily walks if nothing else. I have an almost freakishly effective metabolism, so it's hard to motivate myself to get in shape when I look like I more or less am already. That's just surface, though (although my blood pressure is weirdly good as well)... it doesn't take much to wear me out these days. If it weren't for the aforementioned metabolism, I'd be about 300-350 pounds, the way I live.

I might as well get into the habit of exercise now... I waved goodbye to 20 some time ago, and 30 is coming faster than I'd like. Something tells me my magic stomach isn't going to keep pulling miracles for long.

Well the things that helped me stay motivated was watching youtube fitness channels..

Loading Video...

Vids such as ct fletcher, hodgetwins, Elliot Houlse, POG, and others helped me formed a stronger mindset. When I was overweight I had a very negative mindset and wasn't to pride of myself. On top of that I have a weird illness going on in my body. Where it cause parts of my body to feel numb and it would move on its own at times. There was days where I wanted to give up completely, and I didn't care about life anymore.

Until one day I started thinking about the past, and I just got tired of feeling sorry for myself. I knew change will only come if I allowed it to happen. So I went on a self-motivated weight loss journey, and relieved a lot of stress by just working out. Overtime the more I worked out I started to enjoy it, and feel proud about myself

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a thinner guy so I don't have the motivation to lose weight through cardio, but weight / strength training is pretty fun.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CaLe

I get no enjoyment from cardio. I go on and off lifting, but I enjoy it when I do it. I'm lucky in that I kinda always look toned even when I don't exercise for long periods. The problem for me is my arms never get any bigger. They're pretty girly:

No Caption Provided

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Strife777

Doing cardio sucks ASSSSS! Running sucks butts especially.

But it's important though! Can't do much without the heart. Atleast that's what I heard.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@psylah said:

I'm a thinner guy so I don't have the motivation to lose weight through cardio, but weight / strength training is pretty fun.

Pretty much. I don't like to eat and as such don't eat a huge amount, so I'm already fairly skinny. To be fair I just stopped boxing ater 5 or so years a couple months back, so who knows, maybe I'll do some interval running down the line when I start to feel like shit. But thus far I don't really find much need for cardio, and weigh training's easy because I can just do it right next to my desk while I work. 'S a good way to clear my head too

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I did track and cross country back in the day so I can truck through cardio but on the other hand I won't be the first person to go weight lifting solo. I also get overly conscious in gym environments of others judging my form, so it's hard to for me to go hit the weights without a wingman.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That reminds me

when I was a teen I went to a Taekwondo school. I was only there for 2 years and a half before I stopped. I could have became a yellow belt, but I lost motivation. At the sametime I found it to be boring and useless. Alot of the stances I couldn't see myself doing in a real fight, and sense I was chubby I probably wouldn't pull it off well.

I remember I wanted to just fight so badly, but when we had sparing matches we had to play by the rules, but now sense I lost weight. I want to learn a fighting style that's more useful such as kickboxing or judo. Those fighting styles seems more better in a real fight to me.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cardio. Partially because it's boring and time consuming. Partially because it can trigger some asthma symptoms. But ironically, it's probably much more important for me than actual weight training if we're looking health wise. But lifting weights is just more fun.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Cardio only sucks when I'm on a treadmill. When I bike ride around the neighborhood it's just a lot more engaging. And weights just require a lot of focus. I can't bench something like 300 but it's not exactly a goal of mine.

Ever since I started doing DDP Yoga while watching Quick Looks exercise has been a lot easier to do, gotta say. Without that half hour of driving to/from the gym it's a lot easier to get motivated.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

Cardio only sucks when I'm on a treadmill. When I bike ride around the neighborhood it's just a lot more engaging. And weights just require a lot of focus. I can't bench something like 300 but it's not exactly a goal of mine.

Ever since I started doing DDP Yoga while watching Quick Looks exercise has been a lot easier to do, gotta say. Without that half hour of driving to/from the gym it's a lot easier to get motivated.

Yeah, running on a treadmill can be pretty tough. I can run for about 35 minutes before giving out. I'm still working on going the whole 60, once I reach my ultimate form I probably will it just a matter of time.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@falserelic: Honestly, I just think treadmills are so damn boring. Keeping up on it just bummed me out so I started mixing up cardio routines.

Lexus2jz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lexus2jz

Cardio, I get enough weight training just doing work around the house (just built a new deck this weekend) and on my cars.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah said:

Pretty much. I don't like to eat and as such don't eat a huge amount, so I'm already fairly skinny. To be fair I just stopped boxing ater 5 or so years a couple months back, so who knows, maybe I'll do some interval running down the line when I start to feel like shit. But thus far I don't really find much need for cardio, and weigh training's easy because I can just do it right next to my desk while I work. 'S a good way to clear my head too

I'm trying to find a way to hide / convince people it's OK to have a pull-up bar at my office. As far as workouts at my desk I've so far limited it to hand grippers and sneaking to the storage room to do push-ups.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cardio kills me. It takes forever and it's a lot harder on me than lifting.