Which of the two 'recent' sci-fi films did you like more, and why?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which of the two 'recent' sci-fi films did you like more, and why? (154 votes)

Moon (2009) 23%
Gravity (2013) 12%
I liked them equally. 6%
I didn't like either one of them that much... 0%
I didn't see either of them. 19%
I only saw one, so instead of choosing one of the above, I chose this instead. 29%
GOD! YOU CAN'T EVEN COMPARE THEM! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!? 7%
Another choice you don't have listed. 5%

I only chose these two film out of the many sci-fi films, because these are the two that are on my mind, and there's a certain realism about both of them as compared to other sci-fi films in recent memory. I want to see Europa Report; not sure what it's about exactly, nor if it tries to stick to realism in any meaningful way, but it seems interesting. I love hard sci-fi, which is what I would consider the two above films.

What films in recent memory do you think could be added here? There's that Love film which I hadn't seen either, with Gunner Wright (Isaac Clarke). I don't know, what do you think? As for me, I have to just go the easy way and say I like Moon and Gravity equally. I just saw Gravity today (finally), and while there were a couple of things I didn't like, it was an overall fantastic experience to me.

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Wreck-it Ralph.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I very rarely go to the movies, but I don't think I've even heard of Moon until just now.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cloudnineboya

just watched gravity it is a good film really enjoyed expect for clooney haven't liked him in a film since o brother, where art thou and oceans eleven. did not have a huge role but when i saw him i groaned, not in the orgasmic way.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Only seen Moon, but I thought it was great. The world needs more Sam Rockwell! (irony) And God, just look at that name; it's like one of those Hollywood actor parody names from the Flintstones.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All the Sci-Fi.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@cloudnineboya: Really? I liked him a lot in it. My favorite film of his is Michael Clayton, though probably only due to the atmosphere of the film. He plays a character that suits him well too I believe.

@zeik said:

I very rarely go to the movies, but I don't think I've even heard of Moon until just now.

I only saw Moon on TV, more than once. It wasn't in theaters near me I don't believe, and I too don't go to movies much, though that was merely due to not having the money since I didn't have a job, but now I do, and I'll probably stick to seeing... Well, sci-fi films that interest me, unless my brother or a friend wants to go see something. If you're into sci-fi, you should definitely see Moon.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I never saw Moon, but Gravity is definitely one of my favorites this year. This year hasn't been the best for movies (to me anyways). Springbreakers still stands near the top.

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I vote for Pacific Rim because giant mech suits and kaiju. And Ron fuckmothering Perlman.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I haven't seen Gravity yet, but I've heard nothing but good things. On the other hand I've never heard of moon. So based off of my informed opinion I pick Akira.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I only say Moon and fucking loved it.

Wanted to see Gravity, but didn't get the chance.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mikeeegeee

Good question!

I think the best sci-fi is the stuff that gets me thinking the most.

I could not stop thinking and talking about Moon for weeks after I saw it.

Gravity is also sensational, but in a different way. I'd argue that as an experience, it is superior. But as a piece for discussion, it trails significantly behind Moon.

-

Both movies also star one actor. Sandra Bullock was very good in Gravity, but Sam Rockwell killed it in Moon. He is so, so damn good. I'm expecting Sandra Bullock will get some Oscar attention for her work in Gravity, which is deserved, but it'll probably remind me that I was bummed that Rockwell was snubbed for his work in Moon.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Gravity is "sci-fi".

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gravity is a fictional story told with real science, so is it sci-fi?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

@dizzymedal said:

I vote for Pacific Rim because giant mech suits and kaiju. And Ron fuckmothering Perlman.

Ron Fuckmothering Perlman is the best part of that movie. What a disappointing waste of awesome CG it was.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Thanks for reminding me. Every couple months I hear about Moon and think "I should finally watch that this weekend!" The trend continues.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rentfn

Moon I think will be more re-watchable but Gravity was one of the best experiences I've ever had at the theater. I saw it on IMAX 3D and it was amazing.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

I absolutely loved Gravity, but I think Moon is better.

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't watched them both...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ripelivejam
@yummylee said:

The world needs more Sam Rockwell! (irony)

i lol'd

moon grew the fuck on me after seeing it. source code was kinda weak in comparison. unfortunately still need to see gravity so i will abstain, but moon was pretty fucking fantastic.

kevin spacey should only be allowed to do a.i. voices from now on.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Moon was awesome.

Gravity was pretty good.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Moon

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really dont like the thought of Gravity, so I probably wont ever see it (definitely not in theaters). I liked Moon, but not as much as everyone else.

So my answer is Looper

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

It has a robot in it. In particular, a robot voiced by Kevin Spacey. It is one of my favorite films of all time.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By mike
No Caption Provided

I voted Moon.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Moon was a great movie but it's not really new.

I haven't seen Gravity.

There have been other Scifi movies in the past 4 years so this thread feels pointless.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no way to compare these two. They're extremely different.

You might as well ask whether I think The Departed or The Muppet Movie is better. Come on!

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By Hamst3r

You might as well ask whether I think The Departed or The Muppet Movie is better. Come on!

The Departed is better. :D

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By EVO

I like Moon, but Gravity at IMAX was on another level.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r said:

@truthtellah said:

The Departed is better. :D

Get out of my sight, you monst3r.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Moon was great... but I didn't really care all that much for the guy and when the big reveal happened about him being a clone all I thought was "yeah, that's how these movies go". I really liked it, but it had it's flaws.

Gravity made me feel sick sometimes with dread. The constant threat of death was relentless and the lengths she goes to survive kept me engaged. I cared more about Ryan from Gravity than the guy from Moon whose name I can't remember.

I still think Moon is brilliant, but I just think Gravity is better all round.

And Niel deGrasse Tyson can piss off if he thinks the only reason to watch a sci-fi movie is for the science. He comes across so pretentious sometimes.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Moon was a visually striking and thematically rich film with an incredible score. The cast is rock solid (Rockwell really brings his A-game and Spacey is good). The story might be a bit predictable if you're genre savvy, but the execution of Moon is magnificent. Just a wonderfully executed little science fiction movie.

I haven't seen Gravity yet, but I've heard good and bad. I like the concept of it, but the characters are apparently the weakest part of the film (not to say the performances are, just the characters themselves). If that's the case and we spend 90 minutes to two hours with them, I can see the charm of the visual effects and what not wearing off fairly early. I'll probably see Gravity, but I'm not sure if it'll leave the same impact on me that Moon did.

You also need to consider that before Moon came out, there hadn't been a decent (let alone great) science fiction movie in years. I can't even think of the last one before Moon. Maybe the Matrix? You can see by the state of the genre how much of a breath of fresh air Moon was.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NTM

@gnomeonfire: @extomar: It's not entirely true to how things work, but very closely, but more importantly, it's a science, and the story is fiction. It's a sci-fi, even if it doesn't feel as much as a sci-fi as something like, say Mass Effect. I will say I've asked myself the same question, but in the end, it's still science fiction.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I liked the one with Charlize Theron running away from a giant ACME donut the best. No seriously!

Thedrbrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gravity is a fictional story told with real science, so is it sci-fi?

As long as you ignore physics . Anyway I picked Oblivion. The robot noises were fucking terrifying.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

@oldirtybearon: @truthtellah: @mb: @naru_joe93: @ripelivejam:

Yeah, Source Code wasn't very good. Looper I like very much, though I wouldn't put it on here when it comes to comparing. As for the gravity aspect, that's not entirely why it's fantastic, though it's one of them. 2001 is still amazing in my opinion. When it comes to comparing the films, I'd say it's much more comparable than Departed and the Muppets movie.

I think Gravity had great, likable characters, the only thing I can see is that their backstories aren't really told much; it's more about them being in space and the job at hand, and then eventually surviving, but with that, it's performed well, and they're likable enough, to the extent that let's just say, can make one somewhat depressed about the outcomes.

The way the characters are presented aren't nearly the same between Gravity and Moon, but they're both strong in my opinion. Bullock was good, and I never cared for Rockwell before, but Moon did it and showed me how great he is. I can't wait for a Moon sequel, which would take place in London from what I've heard; being similar to Blade Runner in a way. Oh, and yes, Moon has a great soundtrack, but I think Gravity does as well. From intense to breathtaking.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedrbrian: @seppli: I liked Prometheus, though I thought the characters were disappointing. I liked Shaw, Janek, Vickers, and David, though they even had their problems. If the characters were better, and some things were presented better, it would have been near perfect to me. I still think it's a great movie though. Your point about them running in a straight line is a bit arguable. And I liked Oblivion! I was surprised, but it was really great.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By MildMolasses

Pacific Rim!

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Moon, by far. One of my favorite movies of any genre over the last few years. I thought Gravity was badly overrated. A good film, but it was mostly just a visual buffet; the characters were pretty thin, and some of the dialogue (especially towards the end) was really corny. The performances were good but they never hit the high notes that Sam Rockwell gets to in Moon.

Moon was just much more interesting to me. A really great character and a terrific performance by Sam Rockwell. Gravity is a one-off; definitely worth a look, but not something that moved me or stuck with me.