Which version of Blade Runner should I watch?

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Bulldog19892

It's true. I've never seen Blade Runner. Unfortunately, I go out to get it, and there are like seven versions. Which one should I watch? Which one is the best?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, get the ultimate box set on DVD/Blu-Ray. It is great and the prices are pretty low now. Get that, and watch "The Final Cut". It is the best version yet, and is revised in many ways compared to the other ones. There is also "The Director's Cut", but that is different than the "Final Cut", the more recent iteration. Yes, it is confusing, but that is what Blade Runner has, and always will, be. Great piece of cinema.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

Watch them all...and then watch the documentary.

Did you get the 4 or 5 disc version?  The 5 disc isn't any different other than the pack-ins, casing, and DVD-ROM stuff.  Same versions of the film are on each.

Seriously, you just have to watch every one of them and pick yourself.  Blade Runner was always a hard movie for Ridley to try and get done the way he wanted it, and he still goes back and re-edits it all the time just to give a different take on it.

One of the reasons why he's one of the best directors ever...because he's always looking at his work from a different point of view and then giving us that point of view in our houses.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bulldog19892

So 'The Final Cut' is the best version of it?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RHCPfan24
Bulldog19892 said:
"So 'The Final Cut' is the best version of it?"
Yes, but like Jakob187 said, watch all of them....eventually. Watch that one first. It will be the best stepping pad for the rest of the versions. 
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
Bulldog19892 said:
Define "best".  You may like the Final Cut...you may like the Happy Cut...you may like the International Cut...
I can't define for you what the "best" cut is.  Personally, I still prefer the Director's Cut.  That's just me, though.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
RHCPfan24 said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
Yes, but like Jakob187 said, watch all of them....eventually. Watch that one first. It will be the best stepping pad for the rest of the versions. "
I 100% disagree.  Starting with the original Theatrical cut and then moving forward through them works out a lot better.  If you just jump into it from the Final Cut, there is a LOT of shit you probably won't get without subsequent viewings.

Personally, I would suggest watching all of them in chronological order of time they were released/cut.  You have to remember that this film was a VERY troubled shoot for many reasons, and it was never an easy film to edit together...let alone to get the movie studio satisfied.

Ridley Scott is the master of Director's Cuts, though.  The one movie that he never wanted to make a Director's Cut for was Alien, because he always felt the theatrical release was the best version of the movie...and after finally watching the DC of it (after finally buying the Alien Quadrilogy), I have to agree with him completely.  The DC is way too long and the pacing is sloppy.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bulldog19892

So I should watch the original movie first? I'm getting mixed messages here.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187
Bulldog19892 said:
"So I should watch the original movie first? I'm getting mixed messages here."
Which is where the problem lies.  Everyone can tell you 'no, watch this first' or 'no, this one is better', but the thing is that Ridley Scott created a film that is entirely subjective.  There's no way to tell you which one is the best, because everyone has a different opinion on it.  Some like it with the unicorn sequence in it, some don't.  Some like it with the happy ending, some don't.  Some would even prefer some of Hauer's lines chopped out, some wouldn't.
Just pick one and go.  That's the best advice you can be given.  
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Emilio

I'd say watch the original theatrical release first. The narration of the film gave me a bit of extra info on the characters. After that, go watch the Final Cut... then watch the rest. I  have the big ol' box set.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24
jakob187 said:
"RHCPfan24 said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
Yes, but like Jakob187 said, watch all of them....eventually. Watch that one first. It will be the best stepping pad for the rest of the versions. "
I 100% disagree.  Starting with the original Theatrical cut and then moving forward through them works out a lot better.  If you just jump into it from the Final Cut, there is a LOT of shit you probably won't get without subsequent viewings.

Personally, I would suggest watching all of them in chronological order of time they were released/cut.  You have to remember that this film was a VERY troubled shoot for many reasons, and it was never an easy film to edit together...let alone to get the movie studio satisfied.

Ridley Scott is the master of Director's Cuts, though.  The one movie that he never wanted to make a Director's Cut for was Alien, because he always felt the theatrical release was the best version of the movie...and after finally watching the DC of it (after finally buying the Alien Quadrilogy), I have to agree with him completely.  The DC is way too long and the pacing is sloppy.
"
Err, I guess I see your point. It is just that, the Final Cut is the most accessible because it is the most polished. But, if Bulldog wants to put in the time, watching all of them in subsequent order is probably the best way to do it.  Its just that, if I recommend the movie to someone that just wants to "see" it once, then I would say the Final Cut, which is my favorite, though the Director's cut is definitely a great one as you said as well.  But, of course, Ridley Scott, as you said, IS the master of Director's Cuts, and this is the best.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187

Well, RHCP...define "best".

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

I can't say i'm a big fan of Blade Runner. After watching it, I don't really know what was achieved. Everything looks nice, everything sounds nice, it is a very realised world but nothing really seemed to happen and I got the message about the robots being like humans pretty quick. And before someone flames me or something, Harrison Ford doesn't really like it and he was Deckard, for fuck's sake.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
HandsomeDead said:
"And before someone flames me or something, Harrison Ford doesn't really like it and he was Deckard, for fuck's sake."
How would you say something like that and not expect to get flamed for it?  Did you watch the documentary that was made for the new DVD release?  If not, I would suggest watching that.  Please refrain from stating that which you are not so positive of.
To clarify, Ford hated the movie because it had the voiceover and happy ending to it when it was released initially in America.  However, over the years and with many director's cuts, he's gotten to where he finally sees the movie he wanted to see.

You're welcome.

As for what the movie "achieved", the fully realized world, art direction, contrast and saturation, special effects...yes, all that stuff was top notch for the time.  However, the message of it isn't that the robots are like humans and shit.  The message is about what is human and what is not, but moreover, who are we do deny the ability for something non-human to be human.  This is especially a puzzling question when you bring in the unicorn dream.  Essentially, we are told that making the Replicants is man playing God, but at the same time, making the Replicants also allows us to understand the logic, emotion, and workings of humans far more than we know ourselves.  Unfortunately, the conflict comes in forcing the Replicants into a life of servitude rather than allowing them to be free.

There are tons of parallels in there, but you've gotta look for them and appreciate them for what they are.  If you are going into Blade Runner just looking for a cool sci-fi flick, you will probably be sorely disappointed.
bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By bartholomew999

watch all, three I think, versions.  Best Sci-Fi movie ever.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead
jakob187 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"And before someone flames me or something, Harrison Ford doesn't really like it and he was Deckard, for fuck's sake."
How would you say something like that and not expect to get flamed for it?  Did you watch the documentary that was made for the new DVD release?  If not, I would suggest watching that.  Please refrain from stating that which you are not so positive of.
To clarify, Ford hated the movie because it had the voiceover and happy ending to it when it was released initially in America.  However, over the years and with many director's cuts, he's gotten to where he finally sees the movie he wanted to see.

You're welcome.

As for what the movie "achieved", the fully realized world, art direction, contrast and saturation, special effects...yes, all that stuff was top notch for the time.  However, the message of it isn't that the robots are like humans and shit.  The message is about what is human and what is not, but moreover, who are we do deny the ability for something non-human to be human.  This is especially a puzzling question when you bring in the unicorn dream.  Essentially, we are told that making the Replicants is man playing God, but at the same time, making the Replicants also allows us to understand the logic, emotion, and workings of humans far more than we know ourselves.  Unfortunately, the conflict comes in forcing the Replicants into a life of servitude rather than allowing them to be free.

There are tons of parallels in there, but you've gotta look for them and appreciate them for what they are.  If you are going into Blade Runner just looking for a cool sci-fi flick, you will probably be sorely disappointed.
"
I always thought Ford said he hated it because he played a detective who did no real detection and found the film to be plodding. I read that years ago in Empire or some other film magazine, so I don't really know how true or not that is, but whatever.

Yeah, I got the whole stuff about what is human and what isn't etc, but, to me, that's all there is to the film. It's just under 2 hours worth of a basic philosphy lecture and not much else. Sure, it's an interesting theory but it doesn't really hold up for the full duration. Also, I went into Blade Runner hoping for some neo-noir style fiction after I was told it was a slow burning detective story and instead just found it to be light on story and heavy on effects. Much like the super disappointing 2001: A Space Odyssey.
strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#17  Edited By strangeling

I still like the first one with the voiceover, the whole "unicorn dream" does nothing for me.
Watch them however you like, and figure out which you prefer.

If you want the original original, read ~Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep~.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar

watch the latest release; that one has the most extra scenes and stuff.

strangeling said:

"

I still like the first one with the voiceover, the whole "unicorn dream" does nothing for me.
Watch them however you like, and figure out which you prefer.

If you want the original original, read ~Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep~.

"
Read for like the background story maybe; as far as I know, they are just in the same universe since the guy that made/wrote blade runner didn't actually read the book.
strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#19  Edited By strangeling
SuperJoe said:
"Watch Frankenstein, Blade Runner, Terminator 2, and A.I. back to back to prepare yourself for the robot uprising."

What about ~I, Robot~ ?
MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I recently watched the Director's Cut.  I was not a fan of the film AT ALL.  It had an interesting ending, though.