Why do people keep saying certain topics don't belong on here?

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RJay_64

In nearly every other thread I keep reading "this is a video game site, what are you doing posting this s***"

Yet this is an off topic forum.  Are there any rules about posting in an off topic forum besides the obvious?  I would think relationship, politics, and other topics some posters complain about all fit within the realm of an off topic forum.  

If those threads aren't allowed, that should be made clear at the top.  But the constant bashing of those topics because "this is a video game site" is annoying, to say the least.  It's also very immature to immediately question the validity of a random topic, when clearly this is an off topic forum, which I would presume to mean "topics other than video games." What else can off-topic mean?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

People tend to get pissy about every little thing.

theMuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By theMuse

^ People are needlessly pissy and jumpy on the internet :/

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@Br3adfan said:
" People tend to get pissy about every little thing. "
Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Linkin10362

Those people are the ones who think they are mods.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I just feel awkward when people talk about family/relationship issues. I've always just thought that some subjects are better kept away from the internetz, but that's just me. ;)

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

ME ANGRY AT THIS.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mmmslash

Like everyone said, people are kind of jerkoffs.

That being said, I'm really fucking sick of people crying about their relationship issues on here. If I see one more "I like this girl but I don't know what to do and I think that she might think I scalp people and wear it like a hat" thread, I'm finally going to sit down and invent whatever it is that I need to invent in order to be able to reach through the internet and punch someone directly in the cock.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By face15

Personally I don't have a problem with it, (since, you know, I don't actually have to click on posts I'm not interested in) but I can kinda understand that having a heap of random ass topics could be annoying when you came here to talk about them video games.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ISuperGamerI

People will always complain about every little thing, especially if they don't agree with it.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By one_2nd

If they don't like it they should go to the general discussion forum. Those people are dumb, just ignore them. 

infamous021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By infamous021

They're dumbass mod wannabes. and I don't understand why people are mad over the relationship threads. It's in off-topic dude, just filter it. Every other game forum I go to has relationship threads and such but they never get these kinds of complaints, instead they become spam beacons. But you can't blame that on anyone except for those that spam in them.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RJay_64
@face15 said:
" Personally I don't have a problem with it, (since, you know, I don't actually have to click on posts I'm not interested in) but I can kinda understand that having a heap of random ass topics could be annoying when you came here to talk about them video games. "
But there are designated forums for video games....General Discussion....separate forums for each console....heck there are separate forums for each specific game.  With all those forums in mind, why would someone go to Off Topic to talk about video games?
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By breadfan
@Mmmslash:  I agree. I mean I'm all for discussion on various topics, that's why we're all here for the most part, but come on. I don't need to read about some 15 year old's personal melodrama because he's afraid to talk to some girl. 

Oh the interwebs.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BraveToaster

It's best not to make a big deal about something so small.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By illmatic19

This thread doesn't belong here.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Xeiphyer

OH MY GOD THIS DOES NOT BELONG HERE. WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~~

The real reason people get pissed off is because even though this is the 'Off Topic' forum, its actually the only forum on the site that people visit and read, its also the one on the front page. So even though its Off Topic, people who frequent the forums want it to remain slightly on topic, if that makes sense. We are ok with random discussions about stuff. But we don't want these forums to get filled with really dumb shit like lolcats and stuff.

As far as politics and religion are concerned, those things just inspire flaming and arguments since everybody has different views. So those topics are hated on since they just start shit. If its something really specific or in the news, discussion of that is fine. A thread like "Catholics VS Muslims" wouldn't be good. People have trouble talking about those kinds of things in real life without arguing, its much worse on the internet because of anonymity.

For relationship advice threads... Yo, this is a videogame website, this isn't the best place to get that kind of advice, plus its the internet, so I can tell you to dumb that whore and fuck her sister and it doesn't change a single thing for me, but it might seriously fuck up your life. I don't care. People should seek advice from friends or something first. Also people should try and think rationally about these things sometimes, if the girl wants to hang out with her guy friends and doesn't like hanging out with you and wants to have a break, chances are she isn't interested in you anymore and wants to or has already fucked one of those guys. But I have no fucking idea, I don't know that guy or the girl or anyone involved, so I can only guess and make him worry, or give him advice that might be the wrong thing to do.

People here hate relationship advice threads because they care. They wan't those people to get helpful advice from people who would know, not random internet users.

The bottom line is that its tough love, we all like this website a lot, and there are some great people in the forums, we just want to protect this place from becoming a shitty horrible forum like the rest of the internet. Often time new users get the blunt asshole end of this though, since it seems like the amount of dumb threads and random bullshit happening on the forums is always increasing and we just want it to stop.

So yeah, We are probably sorry, but these days people don't get the benefit of the doubt. =/
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By foggel

Because they think you're just showing off (that you have a life, or whatever). Then they get jealous, or they feel that you don't have the right to tell everyone you are able to interact with girls, and try to push you down by being assholes. By for example trying to exclude you from the group, and/or making you regret creating your topic, and submit to conformity.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By face15
@RJay_64: I usually just go to the page that shows all topics from all the forums, and sometimes it is mostly dominated by off topic threads.  
I completely agree with you that the threads have a right to be here but I get why people get frustrated.
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By YoThatLimp
@Br3adfan said:
" People tend to get pissy about every little thing. "
FUCK YOU MAN 

All jks aside, yeah the GB community  is a little tiring when it comes to thins besides video games
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RandomHero666

Most relationship threads posted here are pointless, everyone just posts pictures and Cool Story Bros.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By nicolenomicon

I was going to be all ironic, but decided against it.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RJay_64
@face15 said:

" @RJay_64: I usually just go to the page that shows all topics from all the forums, and sometimes it is mostly dominated by off topic threads.  I completely agree with you that the threads have a right to be here but I get why people get frustrated. "

Hmmm...I see.  I never go on that page.   That does make sense. 

Since the browser memorizes where I've been before, it already gives me the option of the off topic forum or the general discussion one as I'm typing in giantbomb.com.  So I never see the "all topics" page, therefore I didn't understand why people get frustrated. 
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By apathylad

People usually say "this doesn't belong here" in the forums when it's a touchy subject matter that could get ugly. Discussing military conflicts between countries, at what point is an abortion unethical during pregnancy, etc. won't end well. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

Animevice for anime threads.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By empfeix
@mylifeforAiur said:
" I just feel awkward when people talk about family/relationship issues. I've always just thought that some subjects are better kept away from the internetz, but that's just me. ;) "
People will reveal anything to get attention.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mike

Preferences, Hide Off-Topic, Problem solved.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ravenousrattler

Its ok to post that kinda stuff but threads like ones that involve religion and politics really drive people nuts and turns us against each other. For example that thread about the ban on gay marriage being lifted today.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Mmmslash: Agreed. Glad someone else agrees with me.
Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Devil240Z
@MB said:
" Preferences, Hide Off-Topic, Problem solved. "
This^ 

Some people are just lamers.  

Now I am off to go do something in real life that I can come back here and brag about in the Off-Topic Forum. Seriously... Come Monday I will make a topic about a thing I will do in the future which I don't know about yet. This discussion has inspired me to do so, to slight all the idiots who just don't "get it". 

Boom Boom Pow, Away!
MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By MrCandleguy

Lol this is a thread about a thread about a thread. But i do have to agree with this thread.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By penguindust
@Xeiphyer:  I believe that most of the relationship advice isn't from people seriously looking for guidance, but instead just wanting to know that they aren't alone in feeling a specific way.  It's less "help me with my problem" and more "tell me I am not the first this has happened to".   Of course, there might be some who are actually looking for someone to point them in the right direction.  After all, I'm sure some people went on Jerry Springer believing he could fix what was wrong in their lives.  Giant Bomb or Springer, neither are reliable resources for mending a person's emotional stability, though.  Most, however, are just seeking comfort by knowing they aren't isolated in their feelings.

And, as ryanwho demonstrated, some people froth over any thread about anime.  Sadly, if Anime Vice returned even a 10th of the responses that Giant Bomb does on the subject, people might be more willing to post there than in GB's "Off-Topic".  However, except for the frivolous roll-play and "battles" forums, it's largely a ghost town despite the attempts of a few to have real discussions there. 
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By haggis

The politics/religion/relationship threads tend to bring out the worst in some people, building bad energy. Then some participants take that energy with them to the other on-topic threads. So I can understand the irritation with some of the topics that don't pertain to gaming even if I think it's fine to have an off-topic forum. So long as the arguments stay compartmentalized.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MrKlorox

I really only do that when something should have been posted on Tested or Anime Vice or whatever. Those communities need more similars.

anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By anarchyzombie9

90% of this website are a bunch of 13 yr old elitist who believe only they know what belongs on the internets.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

people get self entertained by questioning other people thread that dont belong in this dont belong in that. it is their joy. and people tend to have fun finding fault at someone. it is their nature.

ign forums system seems to be freedom but once a thread with much spam reply like "moo" "huu" "santa clause" theyll close it. therefore it is easily for people to manipulate the the rule if they want a certain thread close by their own will regardless of how cool the thread is, they can make it close by their will by just replying spam. it is the nature of people entertainment.  ign rule is broken. someone say fuc you to other user and dont get anything.

when im in gamespot i feel like im being watched and told every step. like working and crazy boss watching every step and say dont do that dont do this. gamespot mods seems like a currupted police in a peaceful city, got nothing to do and find fault on users.

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By McSmunions

maybe there should be one all encompassing relationship-help thread? a singular place for people to seek guidance and love gurus to shine? one thing i hate about the off-topic is that so many of the same types of threads get made when one topic would be sufficient.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

people as asses on the internet. i just have to say that i hate it when i see something video game related on off topic. it is the only threads that i care about that are on these forums. other topics i do not care about.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RJay_64
@AnnouncerGXZ said:
"  when im in gamespot i feel like im being watched and told every step. like working and crazy boss watching every step and say dont do that dont do this. gamespot mods seems like a currupted police in a peaceful city, got nothing to do and find fault on users. "
I agree with what you said about Gamespot.  That place gave me a huge headache. 
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jasta

We live with it.
dunderri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By dunderri
@Linkin10362 said:
" Those people are the ones who think they are mods. "
There is always those people on every forum site... gotta love the internet.
Avatar image for jackbauerctu225
JackBauerCTU225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JackBauerCTU225

I know they always say politics is never a good thing to bring up in public, but I always love a good civil political debate. As far as my views let me just say I listen to talk radio and don't think our country the USA is on the path it needs to be on. Ill give specifics if you want.