Will you watch (or go to Las Vegas for) Mayweather vs. Pacquiao?

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Will you watch (or go to Las Vegas for) Mayweather vs. Pacquiao? (149 votes)

YES! 31%
NO! 54%
I AM GOING TO LAS VEGAS FOR THE FIGHT! 1%
MAYBE? 15%

After five years of waiting, the Fight is finally happening. There are two kings, but only one throne. Who will be crowned this era's greatest fighter on May 2nd? Will you watch (or go to Las Vegas to see) Mayweather vs. Pacquiao?

• 
mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would love to go but unfortunately work and bills get in the way.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not really interested in boxing so nope.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Who?

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SomeguyJohnson

I would love to go, or even watch, but am absolutely not going to pay for it so no.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is why we have ESPN. Catch the highlights and move on with our lives.

Polekat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is pacquiao still a politician

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By myke_tuna

I am totally going to watch it. I have a great spot I go to for these things and I'll spend the day there with my parents who also like boxing. I don't think we'd pay for it directly though. Pay-per-view prices are getting crazy ridiculous now.

As far as the actual fight goes, I am definitely interested, but not necessarily excited. I would have been ecstatic 5-6 years ago when they were both on such a crazy level of popularity, skill level, and physical condition. Now it's lost a little bit of luster, but it should still be a great match. My heart is going for Pacquiao, but logic tells me Mayweather will win by decision.

As long as Pacquiao gives him a hell of a fight and tests Mayweather, I'll be ok with a decision win. Just make Mayweather dig deep and work for that win. Of course, if Pacquiao wins, he'll pull off quite the upset. And if Pacquaio wins by knockout, it'll be a monumental moment akin to Pacquiao's own knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez back in 2012. Actually, I'd say it would be even more shocking considering Mayweather prides himself on being a defensive mastermind that rarely gets hit flush.

Anyway, the fight should be interesting.

@polekat: Yes, Pacquiao is still a politician. He's a congressman in the Philippines and could probably be president one day if he wants to be. Pacquiao is extremely popular in his home country.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Definitely going to watch it even though the odds are really good that Mayweather takes this in a unanimous decision. If this was a few years ago it would have been closer. But still, really excited to finally see it.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10 FinalDasa  Moderator

I'd rather have seen this fight several years ago.

At one time I could have seen my friends and I splitting the PPV cost and having a party for this fight. Now they seem a little over the hill (I honestly didn't know Pacquiao was still fighting full time) and watching highlights seems fine to me.

If a nice bar nearby shows the fight I might walk over and watch it. Other than that I'll probably forget about it until the day of or after.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This fight is trival at this point. Pacquiao is an old dog now and won't be able to pull it off. I'll try and watch cause my heart is pulling for that guy. Odds are just stacked against him right now.

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hardindr

While both fighters are older (Mayweather turns 38 next week, while Pacquiao is 36), and perhaps not at their absolute prime like they might have been in 2010, both are still widely considered to be the two best Pound-for-Pound fighters in the sport by crediblejournalists, and remain the most popular and identifiable boxers in the world. That is what makes the fight still so interesting. Also, the HD PPV is expected to cost $100 USD...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the last superfight any of us are likely to see unless the divisions get tightened and structured in a way to allow genuine rivalries to fester.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is the craziest super-fight in the history of combat sports. This being such a momentous event means that the rumors of a $110 PPV price seem fairly plausible. I will not buy the PPV for $110, but I might if it was $80 or less.

dannyglover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big camping trip planned that weekend. Guess I'll be listening to it on the radio. Could probably stream it to my phone, but the quality would suck and wouldn't be worth the $$$.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

Boxing hasn't been relevant in over a decade. At least.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

This is the last superfight any of us are likely to see unless the divisions get tightened and structured in a way to allow genuine rivalries to fester.

This. At one time, boxing was the biggest sport in the world. There's a real good chance that this is its swan song.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will go to bad left hook the day after the fight and read about how Mayweather won by decision and the fight did not live up to expectation because it was mostly one sided.

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While boxing is nowhere near as popular as it once was in the US, it is not dead, and is definitely not close to dying. In fact, there will be more boxing on US TV (including free, over-the-air network TV) this year than ever before, as Al Haymon tries to take over the sport with his "Premier Boxing Champions" TV series.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm filipino so I'll probably have to.

Nah for real though it's either watch the fight or get force fed a replay of the fight by my mom over the phone.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm filipino so I'll have to watch it, but this match is happening 7 years too late.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WalterCrunkFite

Could have been the greatest fight of all time a while back. Now it's set for a fairly dull Mayweather points victory.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there much animosity between them?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

As someone who knows approximately nothing about boxing, why couldn't they fight before now?

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This fight is trival at this point. Pacquiao is an old dog now and won't be able to pull it off. I'll try and watch cause my heart is pulling for that guy. Odds are just stacked against him right now.

But Mayweather is older.

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there is every reason to believe that the Fight will be exciting and competitive. While he is not the hyper-agressive destroyer he was five years ago, Pacquiao still comes forward and throws lots of hard, fast punches from awkward angles. Floyd will not be able to sit back and counter-punch at his leisure, like he has in so many of his fights. Manny is also a southpaw, something that Floyd has not seen in a long time. Floyd will have to be much more aggressive than he normally is. Unlike many of Floyd's previous opponents, Manny will not give up if he does not have early success. While Floyd is an early favorite in the sports book, journalists do not have a clear favorite as to who will win.

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta: It is a soap opera like story. Back when the fight was first contemplated in 2009/2010, the Mayweather and Pacquaio camps agreed to everything (money split, venue, types of gloves to be used, order of ring appearance, cable network, etc.) except for drug testing. Floyd wanted a more stringent drug testing program than what Pacquaio wanted, and so the fight didn't happen. A few years later, there was another round of negotiations, but Mayweather would only offer Pacquaio a flat fee of $50 M USD for the fight, an offer considered insulting by most boxing observers who felt as a marquee name Pacquaio was entitled to more. Only in the past four or five months had there been serious discussion about the Fight happening, since both boxers are out of big-name opponents and boxing fans are sick of waiting for them to fight each other (both fighter's PPV numbers have gone much lower in recent years). That is the basic story.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to Las Vegas but I'm definitely watching it. Not really a boxing or even a fighting fan but I find the odd one entertaining and this event seems like one of those shared experiences I want to be a part of.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be the last fight for both parties which may prove one hell of a motivator.

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: I doubt that very much at all. Why would either retire when they are still in good shape and the two best boxers in the sport? If Floyd loses, or if the match ends in controversy, there will definitely be another fight that will be an even bigger event.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they have no more worlds to conquer. Pacman vs Mayweather seems like the full stop. A landmark for both men to say, "Right, this is it. End of the line. Its all on."

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: If there is more money to be made, and neither guy is totally shot, they will keep fighting. There are still good opponents for either, win or lose. If Floyd wins, he could fight Amir Khan or move up in weight to fight Miguel Cotto for the Middleweight title in a rematch. If Manny loses, he could fight Juan Manuel Marquez for a fifth time or fight Terence Crawford. If Floyd loses, there will be a rematch, almost certainly guaranteed. Floyd's pride could not take such a hit.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot about Khan. I'd actually look forward to that.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hardindr

For the basics of the Fight, this story is a good read.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I'll be watching.

All the talks of this fight being 5 years too late are ridiculous though. They're both past their prime and yet still sitting at the top of any pounds for pounds ranking out there. At the end of the day there is simply no other better boxers in their weight category and hardly any that you could make a reasonable arguments for in a pound for pound discussion either.

I get the feeling that it's the end for both after this fight. If it's close there will be a rematch of course but otherwise win or lose there's no one else left to fight that matters for either of them.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Almost certainly yes, I will watch this. I'm really glad it's happening, late or not. Top athletes going head to head is the absolute peak of combat sports and few things rival it in terms of pure excitement.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Fuck boxing!

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers